: NEED HELP! '04 CTS-V security or wiring problems. Car won't start, no dash lights...

2004V
03-10-11, 02:11 PM
I have an '04 CTS-V and after removing the battery for a few days and reconnecting it. The car seems to have a security issue or perhaps some blown relay? Symptoms are as follows: When I open the driver side door the lights come on inside the car and there is a fast paced chiming sound. No dash lights come on at all and it only does it for the driver side door. After I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click, the chime changes to a slower paced chime, but still nothing on the dashboard lights up. The CD and NAV DVD eject buttons work, but that's about it, nothing else turns on, not a single dash light or radio button or nav screen etc.. When I turn the key to start, still nothing happens. Battery is new, and I recharged it completely to make sure it is full. The remote fob locks and unlocks the door. I checked every fuse in the fuse box under the hood and both smaller fuse boxes under the back seats and they are all fine. I checked every ground wire that I could see (3 of them) and wiggled them to make sure they are tight, and they are. I am thinking it might be some type of security issue? Can someone please help?:banghead:

CancerJCC
03-10-11, 02:34 PM
I have an '04 CTS-V and after removing the battery for a few days and reconnecting it. The car seems to have a security issue or perhaps some blown relay? Symptoms are as follows: When I open the driver side door the lights come on inside the car and there is a fast paced chiming sound. No dash lights come on at all and it only does it for the driver side door. After I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click, the chime changes to a slower paced chime, but still nothing on the dashboard lights up. The CD and NAV DVD eject buttons work, but that's about it, nothing else turns on, not a single dash light or radio button or nav screen etc.. When I turn the key to start, still nothing happens. Battery is new, and I recharged it completely to make sure it is full. The remote fob locks and unlocks the door. I checked every fuse in the fuse box under the hood and both smaller fuse boxes under the back seats and they are all fine. I checked every ground wire that I could see (3 of them) and wiggled them to make sure they are tight, and they are. I am thinking it might be some type of security issue? Can someone please help?:banghead:

Hmmm try cleaning up your battery terminals and re-connecting the (+) and (-) cables. I've seen weirder things from what looked like a good connection and since you had the battery disconnected my money is on a terminal connection issue.

Try that and post back.

CadzillaTN
03-10-11, 02:50 PM
Dead or almost dead battery.?

Where did you buy it?

I bought one from wal mart and it was dead off the shelf. I got it to the parking lot, got it in, shut the hood, turn the key, nothing but a whimper from the lights etc..Remove, replace, 2nd one was fine. I guess I deserved it for shopping at walmart.

It was literally 120+ heat index that day so I was not a happy camper!

2004V
03-10-11, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
The battery is a few months old, purchased from Cadillac. I will clean up the battery terminals with some scotch brite as soon as I get off work today and post back results. It seems to me that if the battery was not making a good connection that nothing would work rather than some electronics working fine, while others completely dead, but I will try anything to eliminate any possible problems.

JimmyH
03-10-11, 04:20 PM
Use a wire brush (they sell battery terminal cleaners at auto parts stores) and vinegar. Counters the base that forms on the terminals.

CancerJCC
03-10-11, 10:50 PM
Use a wire brush (they sell battery terminal cleaners at auto parts stores) and vinegar. Counters the base that forms on the terminals.

We use Coke on our government GSA terminals and it works well. Of course I don't want sticky crap all in my engine bay of the V though so I wouldn't use it there.

OP I only suggested starting there because that is the variable you changed and like I said battery's are known to do crazier things so its a good start point.

2004V
03-14-11, 05:16 PM
Guys, just an update.. only got a chance to get to the car today and I checked the battery terminals and although they were very clean and new looking, I still used a wire brush to make sure and still, same symptoms. I am really frustrated with this car because I don't know what else could be wrong with it. If it was an anti-theft thing, I would get the red light on the dash with the key and lock, but nothing turns on for the whole dashboard, when I go to start, there's nothing.. not even a click. The car was recently involved in a moderate passenger front accident and repaired. The fuse box area is where the damage occured, but the car started, ran and drove fine immediately after the accident, so I don't see how anything could have been damaged. I checked all the fuses, I switched all the relays around to check for a bad relay, and still same symptoms. I'm thinking it may be an ECU problem? Are the symptoms correct for that? Also, the horn doesn't work, the headlights either. How can I diagnose a bad ECU?:(

JimmyH
03-14-11, 05:49 PM
There has to be an electrical problem somewhere. Maybe the wiring harness to the fuse box? Bad ground to the starter? Or alternator? It could be anywhere. You are going to have to chase it down, or tow it to a dealer.

CancerJCC
03-14-11, 10:32 PM
Guys, just an update.. only got a chance to get to the car today and I checked the battery terminals and although they were very clean and new looking, I still used a wire brush to make sure and still, same symptoms. I am really frustrated with this car because I don't know what else could be wrong with it. If it was an anti-theft thing, I would get the red light on the dash with the key and lock, but nothing turns on for the whole dashboard, when I go to start, there's nothing.. not even a click. The car was recently involved in a moderate passenger front accident and repaired. The fuse box area is where the damage occured, but the car started, ran and drove fine immediately after the accident, so I don't see how anything could have been damaged. I checked all the fuses, I switched all the relays around to check for a bad relay, and still same symptoms. I'm thinking it may be an ECU problem? Are the symptoms correct for that? Also, the horn doesn't work, the headlights either. How can I diagnose a bad ECU?:(

Check out this thread for some grounding spots (I have pics). But first try this one:

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/Internet%20Uploads/DELETEGroundwire003.jpg
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/Internet%20Uploads/DELETEGroundwire005.jpg

I am farely certain this is the ECU ground and quite possibly your culprit. Let us know what you find out.

CancerJCC
03-14-11, 10:37 PM
Another thing to is to grab yourself a voltmeter (or even cheaper a test light) and check to be certain the fusebox is getting power. The lead comes in on the side closest to the battery and engine (back right corner). Perhaps the panel isn't even getting power but of course this is just guessing. You have the best chance of finding out by tracing wires and testing them out.

2004V
03-15-11, 10:24 AM
Awesome pics.. I spent hours looking all over the engine bay for a loose ground and I don't remember seeing that one, but as soon as I have a lunch break, I'll check on that. I do have a multimeter and verified that there is power to the fuse box, I used the continuity function on it to check every fuse as well. I'm really hoping it's the wire that cancerJCC posted. I'm anxious to check on that wire and will post back.

CancerJCC
03-15-11, 01:49 PM
Awesome pics.. I spent hours looking all over the engine bay for a loose ground and I don't remember seeing that one, but as soon as I have a lunch break, I'll check on that. I do have a multimeter and verified that there is power to the fuse box, I used the continuity function on it to check every fuse as well. I'm really hoping it's the wire that cancerJCC posted. I'm anxious to check on that wire and will post back.

I hope so too brother!

2004V
03-15-11, 02:41 PM
Well, I looked for that ground wire in those pictures, and there is one there that is grounded well, but it doesn't come across the front of the engine like the picture. Rather it is a different looking wire that seems to go towards the firewall along that frame rail and disappear somewhere back there. I don't know why it would be different. I wonder if there are supposed to be two ground wires connected to that same frame rail bolt, can't tell from the picture. Could someone else with a V please verify that the wire on their car is like the pictures show? Where does the other end of that ground wire go? I wonder if it could have fallen off somehow?

CancerJCC
03-16-11, 10:49 AM
Well, I looked for that ground wire in those pictures, and there is one there that is grounded well, but it doesn't come across the front of the engine like the picture. Rather it is a different looking wire that seems to go towards the firewall along that frame rail and disappear somewhere back there. I don't know why it would be different. I wonder if there are supposed to be two ground wires connected to that same frame rail bolt, can't tell from the picture. Could someone else with a V please verify that the wire on their car is like the pictures show? Where does the other end of that ground wire go? I wonder if it could have fallen off somehow?

It might look likes its grounded properly from above but you need to get your hands on it and follow it yourself. If someone does say "Oh it runs to the fuse box" how is that going to help your if you aren't looking at YOUR V. G/L

2004V
03-17-11, 09:18 PM
Update... problem solved and I couldn't be happier! Turns out the repair shop that put the fuse box back in forgot to tighten the two screws that ground out the fuse box! I simply tightened them and everything is back to normal. I didn't realize the two screws provide a ground for the fuse box until today. Thanks to everyone for the help!

CancerJCC
03-18-11, 03:43 PM
Update... problem solved and I couldn't be happier! Turns out the repair shop that put the fuse box back in forgot to tighten the two screws that ground out the fuse box! I simply tightened them and everything is back to normal. I didn't realize the two screws provide a ground for the fuse box until today. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Ah shucks! I had a bunch more grounds for you to look over! lol Glad you got it fixed.