: i need some tools for the garage...

e6t
03-10-11, 11:50 AM
jack stands, impact wrench, floor jack, etc...

do you guys have a place your order from or should i just hit up sears or something?

something wicked this way comes....

thatcoder
03-10-11, 12:25 PM
sears or harbor frieght.

dvandentop
03-10-11, 04:06 PM
sears or harbor frieght.

werd to that guy, harbord freight if possible on alot of things

Prof
03-10-11, 05:48 PM
To me tools are important...and there are many levels of quality...be sure that what you buy is suited to the use you have in mind.

Safety items are extremely important...there are jack stands and then there are jack stands...be sure that you get good safety equipment. Its easy to replace a ratchet...but if a jack or jack stand fails...it may involve much more than just the tool.

DrumStix
03-10-11, 05:52 PM
Harbor freight tools
Northern tool (no, not that idiot from NY)
Toolup (no, not tulip)

Teutonaddict
03-10-11, 06:52 PM
Northern Tool (no, not that idiot from NY)

Wait, I thought that Northern Tool hailed from Northern NJ??

Low_ET
03-10-11, 07:30 PM
I have had several cheap jacks fail. That is bad but not a big deal. I had one Chinese Jack Stand fail while I was under the car. That was really bad. Now I only buy USA-made jacks and stands. They are hard to find and expensive. Just something to consider.

http://www.usjack.com/
and
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/ProductCategory/Hein-Werner/6

By the way, Not just any jack will get low enough the get under our rocker panels. That is something to look at when selecting a jack.

baabootoo
03-11-11, 12:35 AM
I guess it depends upon your skill level too. You won't need much to change the oil, but a LOT more to change the springs..........

Prof
03-11-11, 03:59 AM
Speaking of changing the oil...I had three different oil filter tools...had to go buy a fourth one to get into the tight cavity that the filter is in...so decide what you plan to do and look closely before you buy...same issue as mentioned above about the clearance factor of the floor jack.

Low_ET
03-11-11, 11:47 AM
Race Ramps are more useful than a jack and jack stands for oil changes etc.

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-56-inch-race-ramps.aspx

They are amazingly light, strong, and Made in USA.

Tuna
03-11-11, 01:18 PM
Lincoln Jack - also sold by NAPA makes a low roll under jack.

Race Ramps - I'll second that recommendation. Even on a smooth garage floor, they do not move when I drive up on them and I've had other 'metal' ramps take flight.

Jack Stands - get good ones.

I'm particular about my tools as I my father and brother were mechanics and I worked on cars when I was not in school. My Matco tool box if loaded with Matco, Snap-On and Mac tools plus a lot of antiques. For me, "you get what you pay for" addage is apropos for tools.

jrcmlc
03-11-11, 05:42 PM
I have an AC hydraulics floor jack that is very low-profile. It fits under even the lowest cars. It was pricey, but it's lasted a long time and still works like new.

Joe

jft69z
03-12-11, 10:14 AM
For me, "you get what you pay for" addage is apropos for tools.

Very True!!

I have used http://www.tooltopia.com/ & http://www.ntxtools.com/ for good quality tools online at decent prices, good customer service and fast shipping. Ingersoll-Rand and Chicago Pneumatic (not Central Pneumatic) air tools tend to be my first choice for impact wrenches, die grinders etc, with Snap-On the bulk of hand tools. You have to shop around and know what you're buying. Sometimes the same stuff that Snap-On sells can be had for less money from vendors like OTC or Lisle.

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 04:04 PM
Wow, I'm truly surprised to see V guys recommending Harbor Freight and Northern Tool garbage. With little exception, I only buy that crap if I have one project in mind and consider anything after that to be cake. For that matter, most of MY tool needs are satisfied by those cheap ass kits at Wal-Mart. For any REAL work I second the recommendation for quality tools from Mac, Snap-On or even Craftsman. This is your safety and your 60,000.00 investment for Christ's sake.

thebigjimsho
03-12-11, 08:29 PM
Yeah, Harbor Freight is great for cheap. I just went there. However, it was for a creeper, drop light and rags. I wouldn't get serious stuff there but for the light stuff, why not?

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Harbor Freight is great for cheap. I just went there. However, it was for a creeper, drop light and rags. I wouldn't get serious stuff there but for the light stuff, why not?

Yeah, no problem for that stuff. Like I said, I have a mickey mouse tool kit from Wal-Mart for the extremely simple car tasks I do. I'm not a tool elitist or anything, just one of those things I don't take chances with if I need the right gear. I know some of the V guys practically take apart and reassemble their whole cars with mods, I wouldn't want a harbor freight tool in my hand for that.

Ranger
03-12-11, 09:41 PM
Wait, I thought that Northern Tool hailed from Northern NJ??

Northern Tool is headquartered in Burnsville, Minnesota, but has stores all over the country.

Harbor Freight is a great place and I have some of they're stuff, but you won't find any high quality stuff there. It all off shore stuff and you get what you pay for.You need to be selective as to what you buy from there.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 09:46 PM
I use it for random crap. Like the set of torx sockets I needed to replace my alternator. $7 for a whole rack of sockets beats $5-6 a piece almost anywhere else. I pretty much only get non-power hand tools there.

Also I found a cheap HDMI cable there that I use to connect my laptop to my TV to listen to music. Convenient!

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 09:55 PM
Cheap HDMI cables need to be bought ANY time they're found. Even Wal-Wart sells those damn things for 20 bucks. Highway robbery. Monoprice FTW if you can wait.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:08 PM
Monowut?

I actually just got a 10 foot one on Amazon for like $5. Quite pleased with it honestly. I don't see why people spend $100 for the stupid Monster cables. They're all the same shit!

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 10:11 PM
Monowut?

I actually just got a 10 foot one on Amazon for like $5. Quite pleased with it honestly. I don't see why people spend $100 for the stupid Monster cables. They're all the same shit!

Monoprice.com. May as well be called ChinaDirect.com.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:13 PM
Yeah man, check Amazon. Similar prices, and often US sellers. :)

Jesda
03-12-11, 10:13 PM
Monoprice and dealextreme are a cable and adapter and flashlight junkie's best friend

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:16 PM
I used DealExtreme to order super cheap Pandora batteries for PSPs back when I was into that. It was like $5 for one. Best deal ever.

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 10:18 PM
I used DealExtreme to order super cheap Pandora batteries for PSPs back when I was into that. It was like $5 for one. Best deal ever.

WTF is a Pandora battery???! My brother left his PSP with me and I wanted to do stuff to it for like... 5 seconds... and when I checked around I remember seeing something about those Pandora things... What do they do?

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:37 PM
They're for the old style PSPs. It's basically a PSP battery that's been cut open, and two of the pins inside have been soldered together and it allows you to install custom firmware. It can be done in less than five minutes.

I don't know about how to do it with the new ones though. I had an original 1001.

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 10:47 PM
They're for the old style PSPs. It's basically a PSP battery that's been cut open, and two of the pins inside have been soldered together and it allows you to install custom firmware. It can be done in less than five minutes.

I don't know about how to do it with the new ones though. I had an original 1001.

Wow, I guess that's what I figured it was but just couldn't understand how someone figured out that jumping pins on the BATTERY would unlock the device! How odd.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:53 PM
Asians. They crazy.

(Actually, it was a Spaniard who first developed CFW for the PSPs.)