: engine form 97 into 99?

Mouhaun1
03-10-11, 01:17 AM
I bought a 99 with a nice interior and body, but a blown moter for cheap..

I had a 97 sts that runs fine, but the body is shot.. bought it cheap, drove it for two years...

I have the moter out of the 99 because it as siezed.. I am about to scrap it.. is there anywhere that will take it?

will the moter from the 97 fit in the 99, or can I just take the whole subframe.. cause that would make it easier.. and even if I have to rewire it. is it possible to just put the comptuer from the 97 to the 99

Its out of the car now so.. I am pretty sure I will making a decision soon!

little help would be appreciated
J

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 02:03 AM
If you need to put an engine into a 98 or 99 Seville body, you HAVE to have a block that has the new style timing cover and bolt hole below it- so it has to be a '98 or '99 block (some late '97s may have had this). All of these Sevilles have the liquid cooled alternator so you pretty much need the whole engine to be a 98 or 99 because of the bolt hole in the LH head.

The Deville & Eldorado aren't as picky with the years, as they used the old style of mounting the engine in the chassis.

1993-1999 and 2000+. You CANNOT under any circumstances bolt a 2000+ engine into a 99 or older body or vice-versa. It simply does not work. Too many differences, too many sensors changed and the holes to mount them. Many people have tried, and gone through all of the work to bolt it in and realize that 1) some things don't bolt up correctly, 2) the wiring won't connect and 3) it won't run.

Racer704
03-10-11, 06:29 AM
I do belive if you use the entire subframe and trans with the PCM also from the 97 it will work.If you would look and search the sticky files you will see what will work as far as engines and Pup is right about the alt. if your just exchanging engines.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/199946-northstar-swaps-what-years-interchangeable-differences.html

Mouhaun1
03-10-11, 09:35 AM
Ok thumperpup...

So your saying that no matter what.. the engine from the 97 sts will not fit in the 99

..has there been an instance where it does work?

I am a machinist and could probably make some shit work if it came to drilling and tapping holes, or something of that nature..

what about rebuilding these bad boys.. is it something that can happen easiely

97EldoCoupe
03-10-11, 10:08 AM
If the engine is seized you're looking at extensive work to the cylinder heads to make them useable, such as having the heads machined to accept camshaft bearings, oversized lifters (which do not exist), etc.

You can rebuild the block but unless you have good heads to start with, forget it-

You can make the engine fit, drill and tap a bolt hole or two in the RH cylinder head for the alternator, cut off part of the engine mount bracket that bolts to the front lower left corner of the engine, you'll be fine. But it's just not something I'm willing to do. I'd rather find the correct engine. There is still three bolts holding on that bracket if you cut the one piece off.

ThumperPup
03-10-11, 11:09 AM
Ok thumperpup...

So your saying that no matter what.. the engine from the 97 sts will not fit in the 99

..has there been an instance where it does work?

I am a machinist and could probably make some shit work if it came to drilling and tapping holes, or something of that nature..

what about rebuilding these bad boys.. is it something that can happen easiely

Jake 97EldoETC He knows more then me all i know is what i read and have read
and this is what was posted in another section of the forum