: 94 4.6 Water Pump Housing question

03-09-11, 01:37 PM
Can anyone tell me if the Water Pump Housing has a coolant passage just aft and kind of below the water pump? Does the housing connect into the block, coolant passages I mean, as it crosses over the engine? I cannot find any images of the back side of the housing unit to see what is there. Is it just attachment bolts with big rubber bushings to insulate the connection? Or are there coolant passages where I see these rubber gaskets between the housing and the block?

I'm asking because I thought maybe my water pump gasket or shaft was leaking but now that I have everything out of the way I am wondering if it wasn't coming from a little father aft of the pump.

I suppose I can just put it all back together and see if I still have a leak since I am as far along as I am.

03-09-11, 09:36 PM
Tech Tips section is for "tech tips" not questions. I'll move this to the Northstar section.

03-10-11, 10:19 AM
There's a crossover How-To somewhere on this site, but I don't have a link handy. This is a picture from that thread showing the back (engine side) of the crossover.


I assume it's the same or similar for your '94. The crossover connects the 4 engine water jackets to the pump, radiator, and heater.