: Had power steering hose changed, now car showing two codes: P0068 and P0102

repenttokyo
03-09-11, 11:01 AM
I had a leaky power steering hose changed, and a day later I got codes showing that I have never seen before:

P0068 - MAF throttle position correlation
P0102 - MAF A circuit low

I did some research, and it seems that the problem is either a dirty MAF or a vacuum leak somewhere. I cleaned the MAF in January, but I suppose it could somehow be dirty again,

The car runs fine, no difference in performance with these codes.

My questions are as follows:

1 - Is there even a slight chance that replacing the power steering hose dislodged something that could create these codes?

2 - Is it "bad" for the car drive around with these codes showing?

3 - Where are the most likely places to check for a leak?

Thanks!

repenttokyo
03-09-11, 02:20 PM
Update:

So I drive to the gym today, and the check engine light turns off. After I pull into the parking lot, I turn the engine off and on to see if the light would stay off. The engine starts to buck, and the car goes into reduced power mode. I am like, wtf. So I turn it off, pop the hood and take a closer look at the MAF.

Well.

It's not plugged in.

What I had thought was an emissions test plug located up near the clutch fluid reservoir was actually the MAF plug, displaced. I plug it back in, and everything of course runs fine.

So - in answer to question #1 - yes, the shop unplugged the MAF because the connector was in the way when they flushed my power steering system, and then forgot to plug it back in.

And

I drove 10 miles - at least - with no MAF and decent performance from the engine. Kudos to closed loop!

/end thread.

Houdini
03-09-11, 04:37 PM
Haha glad it was a simple fix for you....those are hard to come by.

tweeter81
03-09-11, 05:17 PM
Glad to hear you got this figured out easily.

On a side note, how much was the part cost for the new hose and what were you charged for labor? I need to do this fix sometime as well.

repenttokyo
03-09-11, 05:18 PM
The hose was around $70, plus shipping, from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. I also ordered some GM Cold Climate power steering fluid to go with it.

My garage charged me $180 to install it - about 2 hours labor.

tweeter81
03-09-11, 05:23 PM
The hose was around $70, plus shipping, from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. I also ordered some GM Cold Climate power steering fluid to go with it.

My garage charged me $180 to install it - about 2 hours labor.

Thanks, man. That was a fast response. Do you have any insight on if someone could somehow use something (maybe duct tape) to wrap up the hose and keep it from leaking. I have always wondered how hard it would be to just repair the hose and not have to pay that much for a new one. I assume it leaks around the metal fittings, which would probably make it harder to patch.

CancerJCC
03-10-11, 03:30 AM
I was going to say your MAF was just unplugged but you were to quick!

repenttokyo
03-10-11, 01:17 PM
Thanks, man. That was a fast response. Do you have any insight on if someone could somehow use something (maybe duct tape) to wrap up the hose and keep it from leaking. I have always wondered how hard it would be to just repair the hose and not have to pay that much for a new one. I assume it leaks around the metal fittings, which would probably make it harder to patch.

Mine was leaking around the metal fitting, which leads me to believe that it would be difficult to seal with tape or adhesive due to the flex around the joint.

The hose is really long with several fittings - $70 seemed like a reasonable price to me. Mine was leaking where the hose is parallel to the subframe crossmember.

I am not sure how corrosive power steering fluid is, but you might be able to try plumber's wrap?