: SRX Conundrum

dimf
03-09-11, 01:47 AM
hello, new to forum.

we are currently evaluating candidates for a daily driver. of course SRX is on top of the list.

now the question is - now that the turbo is on the way out, are they still worth chasing? or should we just wait out for the bigger engined 2012?

one of the reasons why I am considering turbo is tuning... is the srx turbo a good candidate for performance enhancement, like ecu tune etc..

my other vehicle is a 2009 Cayenne GTS

cam30era
03-09-11, 07:32 AM
I flashed a performance tune on the ECM and TCM for my naturally aspirated 3.0L. From Trifecta Performance. I am very satisfied with the results. I don't know if they have completed the flash for the turbo yet. Go here > trifectaperformance.com

qball
03-10-11, 01:05 AM
Our turbo has gobs of torque and plenty of power. The torque comes on early and stays all the way through the power curve. None of the annoying up and downshifting of the normally aspirated engine that has plenty of power but only at higher revs. It doesn't need any help and I would say it is worth looking for. Now if we could just get rid of the other recurring nitnoid problems, it would be a rolling piece of art.

Smokin' SRX
03-12-11, 12:47 AM
FWIW..........................The Turbo needs Premium fuel. The new 2012 coming 3.6L eng does not. I think doing a "chip" tune will require Premium also, but not sure. Cam20era may know.

There are Turbo's out there. What's your time frame............... 12's out in June-ish.

SS

cam30era
03-12-11, 07:24 AM
Premium is recommended, but not required with the chip tune. If you use regular, the power is reduced.

dimf
03-12-11, 11:33 AM
thanks for the inputs..

not really in a rush to get another vehicle, once the snow is gone will start driving the Cayenne again and the itch will probably go away. will wait for the 2012, hopefully it will have a more efficient, powerful and exciting engine.

Smokin' SRX
03-12-11, 12:02 PM
Thx Cam30ERA! I knew you'd know.

The 3.6 is a great power plant. Happy the '12 gets it. Had it in an Enclave (500 lbs heavier than SRX!) and it flew. SAME mpg too! Hmmm.......

Good luck.

SS

smiley47
03-13-11, 12:57 PM
thanks for the inputs..

not really in a rush to get another vehicle, once the snow is gone will start driving the Cayenne again and the itch will probably go away. will wait for the 2012, hopefully it will have a more efficient, powerful and exciting engine.

Great decision. I love my turbo but knowing that the 3.6 will be out in a matter of months I think you're smart for waiting. It will use regular fuel and should have a bit more hp and torque than the turbo. Probably won't have the price premium that comes with the turbo. Let's just hope they use the Aisin 6 speed auto tranny that's in the turbo. It's much smoother than the 6 speed auto that's in the 3.0.

cz9h3d
03-14-11, 02:08 PM
The Turbo "requires" premium fuel from the factory. Not sure I'd trust a chip mod to allow me to run regular. The early turbos were recalled for a new calibration when the occasional clueless driver put regular fuel in, causing the engine to self destruct.