: Supercharged Millenias

hueterm
03-08-11, 06:43 PM
Isn't there something with that engine you have to be careful of? Or other general caveats?

A guy I went to HS with just got one, and I was going to relay the info...

Playdrv4me
03-08-11, 07:23 PM
I saw that on FB... The only thing I know with those cars is that parts are horrendously expensive when things break and are hard to find in salvage yards, on ebay etc. It was originally intended to be part of Mazda's luxury brand before those plans were axed. I don't know of any major problem points but if anyone does it will definitely be Jesda.

hueterm
03-08-11, 07:26 PM
Well, maybe I won't mention it then... Oops...sorry, hope it doesn't break ;-)....kind of bursts your bubble...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-11, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I always liked the Millenias, looked at them a few times, but I always heard they were a bear to maintain, as the parts & service are hard to find. We're talking like BMW/M-B ownership costs....

orconn
03-08-11, 08:01 PM
I remember someone on the forum mentioning that his dad, who worked as a tech at a Mazda dealership, had talked about several ares where the cars were a problem. As I remember, although not specifically, that they were prone to engine problems and other expensive defects.

Jesda
03-08-11, 08:23 PM
LOVE them. They're just the right size and fun to throw around corners. Its too bad parts and maintenance are insanely expensive. Reliability is so-so (potential money pit), but the look and feel are excellent.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-11, 11:10 PM
Their closest competitor was like a Maxima, right?

Stingroo
03-09-11, 01:06 AM
I remember someone on the forum mentioning that his dad, who worked as a tech at a Mazda dealership, had talked about several ares where the cars were a problem. As I remember, although not specifically, that they were prone to engine problems and other expensive defects.

That would be me. Dad was a service manager. He said the techs HATED them and EVERYTHING was expensive. I seem to remember him saying they were prone to eating superchargers too.

Paul Reed
03-10-11, 12:26 PM
whats funny is, i own a 2000 milly s, and a 2002 deville, both potentially risky buys :bomb:
the millys performance is not up to par anymore, and it does a white smoke on startup...wish i could get the performance out of it that its supposed to get but i dunno where to start on the repairs..

Jesda
03-10-11, 12:33 PM
For whatever reason, the supercharged Millenias tend to be more dependable than naturally aspirated ones.

greencadillacmatt
03-10-11, 11:52 PM
TELL HIM TO GET RID OF IT NOW!!!! They have what is called a D-Cycle engine. It uses the supercharger to blow the air-fuel mix into the combustion chamber. It can't get in there without the supercharger. Also, the supercharger is lubricated with engine oil. The internal seals are VERY prone to blowing out, so the supercharger force-feeds the engine it's own oil until it starves to death. This also ruins the supercharger. These are on national backorder last I heard, and are SUPER EXPENSIVE and very hard to get. If the owner notices the oil consumption and keeps topping it off, all the oil in the exhaust (there is tons of it) clogs the catalytic converters on the car. These converters run north of $1800. It also kills the O2 sensors, which aren't cheap either. On top of all of that, I've heard they are VERY hard to work on, and the quoted time for even a simple spark-plug change is seven hours. AVOID.

ga_etc
03-11-11, 12:05 AM
TELL HIM TO GET RID OF IT NOW!!!! They have what is called a D-Cycle engine. It uses the supercharger to blow the air-fuel mix into the combustion chamber. It can't get in there without the supercharger. Also, the supercharger is lubricated with engine oil. The internal seals are VERY prone to blowing out, so the supercharger force-feeds the engine it's own oil until it starves to death. This also ruins the supercharger. These are on national backorder last I heard, and are SUPER EXPENSIVE and very hard to get. If the owner notices the oil consumption and keeps topping it off, all the oil in the exhaust (there is tons of it) clogs the catalytic converters on the car. These converters run north of $1800. It also kills the O2 sensors, which aren't cheap either. On top of all of that, I've heard they are VERY hard to work on, and the quoted time for even a simple spark-plug change is seven hours. AVOID.

I think you meant Miller Cycle. The Millenia S is the only car to have ever used this type of engine, thus making parts expensive.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-11, 09:26 PM
At the Nissan dealer I work at, someone traded in a '95 Millenia on Wednesday. We're sending it to the wholesale auctions, and I'm semi tempted to open it up and take a gander, just out of morbid curiosity.

Jesda
03-11-11, 11:34 PM
I love their interiors. Mazda had some really cool designs back in the 90s.

greencadillacmatt
03-11-11, 11:59 PM
I think you meant Miller Cycle. The Millenia S is the only car to have ever used this type of engine, thus making parts expensive.

^THAT'S IT! I wasn't sure on the name of it. :P

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 12:09 AM
That Miller Cycle engine was the darling of the automotive press when it was introduced. Every major rag had either a cover or some major story dedicated to that car.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 12:13 AM
Well, they were wrong.

lol

Jesda
03-12-11, 12:14 AM
It was and still is impressive technology. It just needs better hardware and refinement, but its time has passed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 07:13 PM
I don't quite understand what makes the Miller Cycle engine any different from a regular supercharger.

Jesda
03-15-11, 08:14 PM
Short version scoured from the innarwebs:

"A Miller-cycle engine leaves the intake valve open during part of the compression stroke, so that the engine is compressing against the pressure of the supercharger rather than the pressure of the cylinder walls. The effect is increased efficiency, at a level of about 15 percent."

As a result, the Miller Cycle 2.3 V6 makes more power and uses less fuel than Mazda's 2.5.

Cool diagrams:
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/tech/Motive_Tech_Miller_Time_-_The_Miller_Cycle_Engine_Explained.shtml

I have a lot of admiration for Mazda. They aren't afraid to dick around and try new things.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-11, 08:25 PM
Great explanation, and an impressive technology. Mazda does love to lead the forefront in terms of new technologies...rotary, miller cycle, etc. All they need to do now is bring back the two stroke engine and we'd be set!