: floppy rear view mirror 00 cat

hgqguy
03-06-11, 01:31 PM
so It just happend to pop into my head.. why is the rear view mirror so floppy? I hit the brakes hard and the mirror flops. is there a fix? I know my 97 was like this too.. where is mts on the roof/headliner?? I thought about sticking a shim or something in it.. any solutions??

thanks.

elvin315
03-07-11, 06:48 PM
The mirror is motorized to automatically shift between day and night mode. Shimming it will defeat that feature. It might even damage the mechanism. Mine does the same thing as yours. I just live with it.

catera00
03-21-11, 08:11 PM
The mirror is motorized to automatically shift between day and night mode. Shimming it will defeat that feature. It might even damage the mechanism. Mine does the same thing as yours. I just live with it.

I dont think anything actually moves does it? Isnt it similar to transitions lenses that tint in reaction to bright light? Except electrically when the sensor gets flashed with bright light. On a side note, I hate when the sun is blinding me in my rear view and it doesnt dim cause its not dark enough outside.

"The mirrors darken automatically in proportion to how bright the glare is, then clear once the glare is no longer detected. The technology is called electrochromics, which applies electricity in order to tint glass through a low-voltage power supply. The electricity moves through an electrochromic gel placed between two pieces of glass during manufacturing, which have been treated with an electrically conductive coating."

How Do Auto Dimming Mirrors Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5003057_auto-dimming-mirrors-work.html#ixzz1HHLZOi1f

elvin315
03-21-11, 08:31 PM
I dont think anything actually moves does it? Isnt it similar to transitions lenses that tint in reaction to bright light? Except electrically when the sensor gets flashed with bright light. On a side note, I hate when the sun is blinding me in my rear view and it doesnt dim cause its not dark enough outside.

"The mirrors darken automatically in proportion to how bright the glare is, then clear once the glare is no longer detected. The technology is called electrochromics, which applies electricity in order to tint glass through a low-voltage power supply. The electricity moves through an electrochromic gel placed between two pieces of glass during manufacturing, which have been treated with an electrically conductive coating."

How Do Auto Dimming Mirrors Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5003057_auto-dimming-mirrors-work.html#ixzz1HHLZOi1f

I learn something new everyday!

hgqguy
03-22-11, 04:57 PM
so can I stick shims or something in it and it wont cause a problem?? as we all know.. its kinda annoying. turn or hit the brakes quick and look and the mirror is floped around.

catera00
03-23-11, 06:07 PM
I dont see why not. Let us know if you find a good fix for it

ccatera10
03-30-11, 09:27 PM
ya these rear mirrors on the cateras are horrible. when im on the freeway it is constantly shaking. my catera is going in the dump once im done with it, or whats left of its services. thats gm for you...