: 2001 Catera Purchase?

wrightbenz
03-06-11, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I just looked at a 2001 Catera with 120k on the clock. Car is in decent shape, but has some issues. Seems to be leaking oil at the valve covers. How difficult is this? Also mechanic inspection stated a coolant leak, he didn't specify where, but most likely the oil cooler area I would guess. How hard is this? I can pick the car up for 15-17 hundred so the price is right, I guess.

CaddyshackCadillac
03-06-11, 01:21 PM
If you can confirm the coolant leak Ide go for that's a rediculous price ...

hgqguy
03-06-11, 04:35 PM
that is a great price. however.. be aware of repairs needed. determine coolant.. 3.0 knows for bad headgasket.. about $1200. valve covers. prolly $200 more if done at same time.

oil cooler.. maybe what $400?? not for sure.

has timing and tentioner ever changed??? if not your playing with fire!! that job is $700

has the ebcm every been repalced/rebuilt?? thats a $400 job.

those are the most costly issues to consider.

I paid 2200 for my 00 sport with 121 on it 18 months ago. Love the car but at presanat.. have $3500 in repairs!! and I didnt do anything with headgasket, oil cooler, valve covers, ebcm.

i did the timing belt and tentioners and waterpump.. among broken rear springs, and air shocks.

wrightbenz
03-07-11, 12:18 AM
The more I read about these cars teh more I think they are not worth the trouble. It seems everyone thought the 2000 and 2001.s were better, but to me it sounds like they still have many issues. Think I will stick with my Saabs.

AHazzardToAll
03-07-11, 04:37 AM
The more I read about these cars teh more I think they are not worth the trouble. It seems everyone thought the 2000 and 2001.s were better, but to me it sounds like they still have many issues. Think I will stick with my Saabs.

Some of those have the same motor, meaning same issues/repairs. I only have about 3k in my 99 as it sits, it's been a great car IMO. Our hundai, sts, s500, and blazer have had just as many issues as my cat. It's just cars, own one long enough and it'll need repairs. ;)

RetiredAssassin
03-07-11, 09:25 AM
I have to say that it all depends on what kind of use you give to this cars, parts are expensive, labor is expensive unless you decide to do the work yourself, the ride is smooth and fun, if you buy a car with those issues offer them a thousand and usually if is leaking coolant in the back of the engine is probably the heater control valve and it runs for about 100 at the dealership and maybe 50 if you find it online, to replace it, takes a little bit of time but no special tools and only a little bit of effort. Now about the oil there can be a few issues causing this but it is not expensive or overly difficult to do it yourself and if is not that severe just go to the auto parts store and have them guys recommend something for that.

CaddyshackCadillac
03-07-11, 12:39 PM
Thing is where are u gonna find a car with the comfort and ride quality sure they need work but every forum for every car has a laundry list of issues for there respective make

hgqguy
03-08-11, 05:27 PM
Thing is where are u gonna find a car with the comfort and ride quality sure they need work but every forum for every car has a laundry list of issues for there respective make

I completely agree!!! this IS by far the MOST FUN CAR to drive!!! the sprot mode transmission is balls to the wall fun.. You are never going to find a nice riding, looking germany looking, feeling, ridding car mint for $1500 thats only 10 yrs old.

i compare it to a BMW 3 or even 5 series.. Imagin how much a 00 of those would be?? 7K?? even with 120K .. and every repair on that would be a grand. ...

I recomend the catera if u are willing to have a $3000 investment.. that should get the car and prolly repair everything and get you going for a while.. then just budget about $300 every couple of months.

kaustein
03-09-11, 12:12 PM
DON'T!

The car is a endless money pit. Read the threads here! The car is awful!

01Cat
03-15-11, 01:16 PM
I bought an 01 a year ago with 60k from an old couple in miami who bought it new and kept it in their "florida" house, I paid $1700. It is fun to drive and a killer car BUTTT.... as he said, it IS an endless money pit. So far: timing belt & water pump as soon as purchased because running the VIN showed it had never been done by Cad under the recall, it turned out to be the orig. Next was the water control valve behind the plenum, front door speakers from age rot, all dash lights replaced. Professional mechanic tried twice to stop the plastic caddy valve covers from leaking, today as I type this it is back in his shop having an aluminum Saturn one installed on the pass side. Still leaks a little oil from either the oil cooler under the intake or rear main, which will need to be addressed next. Now that summer's here I realized the A/c is blowing warm air. Any one need a used car? 352-281-3434

dmj3812
03-28-11, 09:45 PM
The car is a money pit maybe but it is a great car anyone who has a chance to buy one should. Just make sure you have a little bit of money put up. I bought a 98 for 2500 the interior and exterior are in perfect condition. I had to change valve cover gasket 3 weeks after buying it 900 dollar job And looks like more problems on way but it is still a great car

elbrown4183
04-08-11, 02:41 AM
I have blood sweat and tears into my 98 Catera. I LOVE IT! I bought this thing THRASHED! (Engine wise anyway). I have done all the work myself, methodically. Now..No more leaks, runs perfectly, timed perfectly, head job made all the difference, sweet and smooth ride. Just like any car, if you do not take care of it, it will fall apart. Miliage 125K. The people that owned it before, drove it to about 123 and DID NOTHING TO TAKE care of it. When I got it, we called it the Chihuahua, because it leaked and shook horribly. But now...it is clean, inside and out, engine is clean, new Chrome rims, and Goodyear Eagle GT V Rated tires, and smooth! If you have the time, get it...If you are not good at working on cars, then DO NOT get it. If you want a challenge knowing that in the end, you will have a nice car, then get it. Personally, I would buy ANY model, ANY year, as long as the body is good, and the engine block is not cracked. I can do the rest myself! Hmmm..Next project, 2002 Eldo...! Boo ya!

joeskisnow
05-09-11, 07:44 PM
Ok, we have my engine back together and it runs great !!! we were checking for leaks and found no leaks but found some milky white substance inside the filler tube for the oil. can you give me more info of where this rubber valve is at ?

kaustein
05-10-11, 12:17 AM
The milky white stuff, no pun intended, could be moisture/water.

Congrats on getting it together. I hope nothing else goes wrong, but keep us posted.

joeskisnow
05-10-11, 12:53 AM
thanks kaustein, it took a bit but the car is back together and runs great. Yes, I believe the milky white stuff could just be moisture, just hoping it is not a head gasket. Has anyone figured out the actual or approx number to torgue the head bolts to, instead of 48lbs(guessing) then 90 degrees 3 times then 15 degrees ??

kaustein
05-11-11, 12:55 AM
I feel your pain when something goes wrong. Well not anymore as I finally got rid of the car.

elvin315
05-13-11, 10:31 AM
Professional mechanic tried twice to stop the plastic caddy valve covers from leaking, today as I type this it is back in his shop having an aluminum Saturn one installed on the pass side. Still leaks a little oil from either the oil cooler under the intake or rear main, which will need to be addressed next. Now that summer's here I realized the A/c is blowing warm air. Any one need a used car? 352-281-3434

Your pro might not be well versed in Cateras. Oil will find its way out regardless of having the gaskets replaced or alloy covers installed unless the crankcase breather box is cleaned. It vents crankcase pressure. If not cleaned that pressure builds and the oil will seek the weakest place to leak.