: Fuel cap tether removal from fuel filler door?

Maddog96
03-04-11, 07:23 PM
I am going to buy a locking gas cap for my new 2011 turbo as it sits outside all the time. Is there a "trick" way (door panel removing tool?) to remove the tether from the fuel door without destroying it or both? I would like to be able to put it back on when the lease is over and not buy a new cap. I tried a small screwdriver but didn't want to pry too much. Thanks.

GMJim
03-05-11, 08:54 PM
MD, Welcome. I hope you are enjoying your turbo/Premium.
I will ask around at work Monday.
Jim

squibbits
03-10-12, 02:44 AM
Does anyone know how to get the tether off without destroying it? Thanks.

Marc NY
03-10-12, 08:26 AM
.. Is there a "trick" way (door panel removing tool?) to remove the tether from the fuel door without destroying it or both? I would like to be able to put it back on when the lease is over and not buy a new cap. I tried a small screwdriver but didn't want to pry too much. Thanks.
Does anyone know how to get the tether off without destroying it? Thanks. One method would be take the head of the tether off with a finishing nail, or some other long, thin object or perhaps even a very thin (small) screwdriver and then push up on the pin from the bottom, where the tether attaches to the fuel filler door. The tether will stay with your OEM gas cap, and then just replace it with the new locking gas cap. You can always replace the old gas cap back on later when you decide to sell or trade it in.

I used a more crude method when I had to replace my wife's old gas cap on her last SUV. I tried to get it off and at that time but I didn't have any tools with me. I couldn't figure out what would be the best method to remove the old gas cap. Finally, I just said heck with it, I just yanked it out and sure enough, the tether popped out of the hole on the filler door. All I had to do then was to press the new plastic tether back into the hole and then tighten the new cap on and all was fine.

Either method should work but I would try using a finishing nail first before you resort to just yanking it out. :D