: 2012 Cadillac Cimarron

Lord Cadillac
03-04-11, 02:37 PM
Cadillac has decided to name the new Alpha-based model Cimarron instead of ATS. Sources close to GM state the vehicle is a retro-styled version of the original Cimarron from 1982. I just wanted to see if I could get some blood boiling for a few moments as pre-April first whatever you want to call it. I had exactly 120 seconds of free time and thought this would be a good way to use it.

gary88
03-04-11, 02:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/d7PBl.jpg

(don't ban me)

Ranger
03-04-11, 02:48 PM
:tisk:

Submariner409
03-04-11, 03:24 PM
THAT idea would not have gone well; even on a Groucho Marx show.

Caterron ??? Catrot? Cimmarerat..... Cimmeraterry ?

orconn
03-04-11, 04:16 PM
Wow, I had a "flash back" and it wasn't good!

77CDV
03-04-11, 04:21 PM
I knew you couldn't be serious. Lord knows the Cimarron never was.

Jesda
03-04-11, 04:50 PM
You got me. I was ready to hammer out some words to GM.

WELL PLAYED, SAL.

ThumperPup
03-04-11, 06:48 PM
omg i am like so happy this is not real lol

Lord Cadillac
03-04-11, 07:41 PM
Haha! I got a laugh out of the thought in my mind and figured I'd post about it. There are a few retro Cadillac's I'd like to see - but not a Cimarron. :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-11, 08:09 PM
Great, let's relive the worst era in Cadillac's past. Take that, progress!

Submariner409
03-04-11, 10:40 PM
Caddimarrontotaurus ? (w/SHO option)

93DevilleUSMC
03-06-11, 01:41 AM
Sal....you nearly killed me just now.

ltdltc
03-08-11, 07:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tgG5l.jpg

Best Cavalier ever...

orconn
03-08-11, 08:03 PM
Yeah, you'll need gloves all right ...... to shovel out the pen!

caddyfat2
03-09-11, 12:20 AM
I love the Cimarron.

77CDV
03-09-11, 01:36 AM

Best Cavalier ever...

It all sounded so good on paper. In the flesh, not so much.

billc83
03-09-11, 09:43 AM
The Cimarron actually evolved into a better car later in its life. The '86 facelift helped to make the car look more distinctive from the Cavalier underpinnings, and many of the options on the early models became standard (auto transmission, 2.8L engine, better trim options). By '88, the car's final year, IIRC everything was standard.

Ironically enough, the Cimarron also had a pretty successful launch, selling well to its target demographic (mostly Cadillac owners looking for a smaller second car). How they managed to sell at twice the price of a Cavalier is beyond me. For comparison, the rest of the J-car variants (Firenza, Skyhawk, etc.) were priced within hundreds of dollars of eachother.

CDConcours
03-25-11, 05:36 AM
I have to say this and i mean it! I love the Cadillac Cimarron and i hate GM for abolishing any J car name from any future production list for no other reason than to spite it. The Buick Verona (Come on no one liked the Suzuki Verona WTF) Buick is an old brand and Skyhawk is a cool old Buick compact name, yet those Cimarron hating jerks at GM wouldn't even consider it. Never mind the misspelled Cruze anyone who loves the 80's can tell it should have been a Cavalier. Except for rust belt states where GM's poorly rust proofed doors and rocker panels rust out. Everyone else loves the Cavalier especially the classic V6 models. Yet no one cares what it's fans think, that's why Chevy will never build a Honda civic, or corolla (They rust TOO but there company's stick by them!)
My favorite pro Cimarron point, this car was only a flop because of Liberal president carter and his anti American c.a.f.e. program which threatens the Caprice, Deville and other good products today! The original specs called for a 4.1l V6 engine in the German Engineered J car platform, the car was not supposed to be released till 1985 at which time it would have been Cadillac complete!!! It was released early for cafe averages! Bringing it back on a proven class leading platform would erase the only flop name in Cadillac's history, however it requires this car to be dick on the table guaranteed 100% 3 series killing material!
Finally for all Cadillac Cimarron owners I'm proud of you taking care of America's Compact Executive Sedan. I only dream that people finally stop talking crap about your precious little Caddy and allow it to increase in value to antique status. Next time you look at the 80's 3 series 4dr sedan which came out after the Cimarron (before that they were all coupes) notice how much it resembles your little guy, in the roof line! Notice your car is bigger and rated compact not sub like so many publications mess up! Bigger is American! If all else fails just bolt a 3.9l VVTI V6 and 4spd Automatic in your Cimarron and go smoke some imports! Oh how I wish i could find a Black Cimarron with Black leather and a inbuilt Astroroof to build my dream Cimarron Touring Sedan!
I love Cimarron and I love Cadillac and I will never talk crap about a Cadillac product! Long live Cadillac and may we be the Standard Of the World again. We won't get there with FWD SUV's and XTS's let me tell you, we will get there with American pride and RWD and classic names like Fleetwood or if you must FTS, and Deville or DTS, the letters need to mean something have pride!
Carl
I speak for all cars!

383 LT1 SS
03-25-11, 08:34 AM

Best Cavalier ever...

Best Fail ever...

383 LT1 SS

OffThaHorseCEO
03-25-11, 10:05 AM
I have to say this and i mean it! I love the Cadillac Cimarron and i hate GM for abolishing any J car name from any future production list for no other reason than to spite it. The Buick Verona (Come on no one liked the Suzuki Verona WTF) Buick is an old brand and Skyhawk is a cool old Buick compact name, yet those Cimarron hating jerks at GM wouldn't even consider it. Never mind the misspelled Cruze anyone who loves the 80's can tell it should have been a Cavalier. Except for rust belt states where GM's poorly rust proofed doors and rocker panels rust out. Everyone else loves the Cavalier especially the classic V6 models. Yet no one cares what it's fans think, that's why Chevy will never build a Honda civic, or corolla (They rust TOO but there company's stick by them!)
My favorite pro Cimarron point, this car was only a flop because of Liberal president carter and his anti American c.a.f.e. program which threatens the Caprice, Deville and other good products today! The original specs called for a 4.1l V6 engine in the German Engineered J car platform, the car was not supposed to be released till 1985 at which time it would have been Cadillac complete!!! It was released early for cafe averages! Bringing it back on a proven class leading platform would erase the only flop name in Cadillac's history, however it requires this car to be dick on the table guaranteed 100% 3 series killing material!
Finally for all Cadillac Cimarron owners I'm proud of you taking care of America's Compact Executive Sedan. I only dream that people finally stop talking crap about your precious little Caddy and allow it to increase in value to antique status. Next time you look at the 80's 3 series 4dr sedan which came out after the Cimarron (before that they were all coupes) notice how much it resembles your little guy, in the roof line! Notice your car is bigger and rated compact not sub like so many publications mess up! Bigger is American! If all else fails just bolt a 3.9l VVTI V6 and 4spd Automatic in your Cimarron and go smoke some imports! Oh how I wish i could find a Black Cimarron with Black leather and a inbuilt Astroroof to build my dream Cimarron Touring Sedan!
I love Cimarron and I love Cadillac and I will never talk crap about a Cadillac product! Long live Cadillac and may we be the Standard Of the World again. We won't get there with FWD SUV's and XTS's let me tell you, we will get there with American pride and RWD and classic names like Fleetwood or if you must FTS, and Deville or DTS, the letters need to mean something have pride!
Carl
I speak for all cars!

unfortunately, even if they wanted to bring the cimmaron, it wouldnt be called the cimmaron, it would be given a 3 letter name

Lord Cadillac
03-25-11, 12:02 PM
Cimarron Touring Sedan? :p

unfortunately, even if they wanted to bring the cimmaron, it wouldnt be called the cimmaron, it would be given a 3 letter name

The Tony Show
03-25-11, 12:17 PM
I love cinnamon, especially on apples.

Oh, wait- you said Cimmaron? Nevermind.

Stingroo
03-25-11, 12:22 PM
Cinna-MON?

He's the winna, mon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5077974245_d6fd9869e0.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
03-25-11, 12:25 PM
Cimarron Touring Sedan? :p

dont you mean C size touring sedan

cadillac kevin
03-25-11, 12:53 PM
Carl
I speak for all cars!
someone took their cimarron happy crack today.
cimarrons were crap- as a cadillac. they were very nice cavaliers, but bad cadillacs. GM rushed the cimarron because it was the easy (and cheap) way out. CAFE had been in effect since 79 (I think), so they had time to make a fuel efficient engine for their large cars, or even make a small car for cadillac that was far superior to the 3 series but they didn't. They already had the cavalier, threw a new grille, leather seats, and caddy badges on it, and rushed it into production instead of doing the logical thing by designing a totally new compact car that looked 100% different than the cavalier and lightening their current cars and making the engines more fuel efficient. they cancelled a technological masterpiece (for the era), cylinder deactivation, after 1 year instead of fixing its' flaws. IMO, they should have created an entirely new engine for the cylinder displacement instead of bolting it on a dinosaur, but even so, that dinosaur still could have been made into a much better motor, even with the low technology. Instead they tried putting underpowered aluminum V8's, torqueless V6's, and diesels into massive cars to get good mileage (some V6's got only 1 mpg better than the V8 in the same car.) The heads and intake on the engines back then were downright pathetic- inefficient and gas thirsty, and the transmissions were out of date to say the least- 3 and 4 speed autos from the late 60's/ early 70's with no overdrive. instead of investing in new technology, GM just kept modifying outdated technology.
even so, cadillac could have made the cimarron look and drive like a cadillac, but they didn't. They tried to copy what japan was doing- small underpowered junky $5k fwd cars. thats fine on a cheapo car like a civic, but not for an upscale brand like caddy, especially at $12k. the cimarron was a cavalier at twice the price and nothing more.

Lord Cadillac
03-25-11, 01:16 PM
They did the same thing with the first generation Escalade because of the Lincoln Navigator.
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Cadillac-Escalade_2000_photo_01.jpg

someone took their cimarron happy crack today.
cimarrons were crap- as a cadillac. they were very nice cavaliers, but bad cadillacs. GM rushed the cimarron because it was the easy (and cheap) way out. CAFE had been in effect since 79 (I think), so they had time to make a fuel efficient engine for their large cars, or even make a small car for cadillac that was far superior to the 3 series but they didn't. They already had the cavalier, threw a new grille, leather seats, and caddy badges on it, and rushed it into production instead of doing the logical thing by designing a totally new compact car that looked 100% different than the cavalier and lightening their current cars and making the engines more fuel efficient. they cancelled a technological masterpiece (for the era), cylinder deactivation, after 1 year instead of fixing its' flaws. IMO, they should have created an entirely new engine for the cylinder displacement instead of bolting it on a dinosaur, but even so, that dinosaur still could have been made into a much better motor, even with the low technology. Instead they tried putting underpowered aluminum V8's, torqueless V6's, and diesels into massive cars to get good mileage (some V6's got only 1 mpg better than the V8 in the same car.) The heads and intake on the engines back then were downright pathetic- inefficient and gas thirsty, and the transmissions were out of date to say the least- 3 and 4 speed autos from the late 60's/ early 70's with no overdrive. instead of investing in new technology, GM just kept modifying outdated technology.
even so, cadillac could have made the cimarron look and drive like a cadillac, but they didn't. They tried to copy what japan was doing- small underpowered junky $5k fwd cars. thats fine on a cheapo car like a civic, but not for an upscale brand like caddy, especially at $12k. the cimarron was a cavalier at twice the price and nothing more.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-25-11, 01:17 PM

if they had made it drive like a cadillac, theyd still have gotten criticized for not getting with the times

JimmyH
03-25-11, 07:09 PM
cimarron ftw!!!!! I was thinking about getting crapbox to drive this winter. I wonder if I could find a cimarron somewhere. At least I would be driving a cadillac again http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif

http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/cimmaron.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-11, 07:31 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when anyone would give such a deep and well written defense of the Cimarron.

When it debuted in the fall of '81, some people may have really liked it and it may have generated interest, AT THE TIME, but as time passed, it was one of the big factors in what ruined Cadillac's reputation among luxury car buyers well into the late 1990s. I think it did just as much damage to the brand's reputation, if not more, than the HT4100, 5.7 diesel and V8-6-4.