: Throttle body Helix and MPG?

BronzeGod
10-03-04, 09:58 AM
Hey I was looking for some info on the throttle body Helix for our 99 Escalades. I was just curious if anyone had one and if it really helps the MPG. I didn't buy my truck for the fuel economy, but you know, a dollar saved at the pumps is a dollar toward my beautification project. Anyways does anyone have any info or numbers? Thanks

Spyder
10-03-04, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you're talking about one of those Tornado type things that goes in front of the throttle body to "accelerate air and increase volume" or some such nonsense. It won't work. Now, if the Helix is something different, ignore me completely and I'll look, and fee, like an arse... :)

BeelzeBob
10-03-04, 10:04 PM
Hey I was looking for some info on the throttle body Helix for our 99 Escalades. I was just curious if anyone had one and if it really helps the MPG. I didn't buy my truck for the fuel economy, but you know, a dollar saved at the pumps is a dollar toward my beautification project. Anyways does anyone have any info or numbers? Thanks

If it worked the factory would have put it in there.....forget it. Things like that are a big con....

01STS
10-04-04, 02:53 AM
I had one in my 96 Yukon with the Vortec motor. I liked it amd noticed more HP and better fuel economy. It was my first of many mods to that motor and I would recommend it. I added almost every bolt-on to better the fuel economy and power on the truck and that was the cheapest and best performing part I put on.

Ranger
10-04-04, 12:12 PM
TB Helix? Is that another name for the "Tornado"? I saw someone ask about a "Turbonator" on Caddyinfo. If this is that whirly gig thing that you stick in the intake to swirl the air it is about as useful as the "Fuel Line Magnet". The only thing it will improve is their bottom line. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

01STS
10-04-04, 12:24 PM
I agree that the Tornado is a waste of money. The Helix throttle body spacer goes between the TB and intake manifold not into your intake tube.

Edahall
10-04-04, 03:49 PM
It'll easily add 500 hp.

For more mods that will add power, go to:

http://www.afrotechmods.com/submitted/honda/honda.htm

BeelzeBob
10-04-04, 03:57 PM
I had one in my 96 Yukon with the Vortec motor. I liked it amd noticed more HP and better fuel economy. It was my first of many mods to that motor and I would recommend it. I added almost every bolt-on to better the fuel economy and power on the truck and that was the cheapest and best performing part I put on.

Right.....and you have the marketing rights to the "Helix" and will gladly sell him one, right...?????

The engine in your Yukon loafs around at part throttle most all the time. The flow thru the intake and throttle body is very low. Exactly how does this "helix" work at such part throttle conditions when the flow is so low so as to improve the fuel economy??? And how does the helis improve the fuel economy anyway...??? Any possible "motion" that it imparts to the incoming air is way lost by the time that air gets to the intake vavle.

Furthermore, anything that is put into the intake tract to impart motion to the incoming air causes a restriction. Adding restriction does not make more HP......

Your power and fuel economy "improvements" prove the effect of a placebo....or in justifying spending money to prove to yourself that you weren't ripped off...which you were.

01STS
10-04-04, 07:12 PM
Right.....and you have the marketing rights to the "Helix" and will gladly sell him one, right...?????

The engine in your Yukon loafs around at part throttle most all the time. The flow thru the intake and throttle body is very low. Exactly how does this "helix" work at such part throttle conditions when the flow is so low so as to improve the fuel economy??? And how does the helis improve the fuel economy anyway...??? Any possible "motion" that it imparts to the incoming air is way lost by the time that air gets to the intake vavle.

Furthermore, anything that is put into the intake tract to impart motion to the incoming air causes a restriction. Adding restriction does not make more HP......

Your power and fuel economy "improvements" prove the effect of a placebo....or in justifying spending money to prove to yourself that you weren't ripped off...which you were.

Is there any post here that has a different opinion other than yours that you havn't had some smart assed comment?

I suppose that the extra 20-30KM per tank that I got was a placebo.... I suppose carb spacers don't work either.... forget about reprograming the computer since god forbid we change the factory settings....

Let me guess nobody other than a GM engineer can get more HP out of an engine and if it doesn't come from the factory it isn't worth it?

growe3
10-04-04, 08:43 PM

More horsepower and better fuel economy, just by sticking an "object" in the air flow. I'm for that.

Can you post your before and after installation dyno results, so we can view the power increase that you achieved?

-George

BeelzeBob
10-04-04, 10:19 PM
Sorry for the smart assed comments. I just can't stop myself sometimes.

I have seen a lot of dyno testing of many such aftermarket devices that promise the world and deliver very little...i.e...nothing. So, yes, I am skeptical. Very skeptical. Even devices that people swear by do nothing on the dyno when tested under accurate conditions. In fact, some of them actually make less power and get less fuel economy.

There is just no engineering reason for a device such as a "helix" to work. Nor is there any practical reason. If you perceived a difference...great. I don't believe it.

mcowden
10-04-04, 10:22 PM
Without getting in the middle of a holy war, allow me to inject a few nuggets of joy:

* Auto manufacturers spend millions or tens of millions of dollars to engineer their vehicles to meet federal standards for fuel economy and emissions. Why would they skimp on a $10 part per car if it would add horsepower and reduce fuel consumption, especially when both of those things would help them sell more cars?

* Consider Toyota and Honda. They're constantly trying to outdo each other for the distinction of having the highest fuel efficiency ratings across their entire line without sacrificing power, because that sells more cars. Funny that neither of them are using the Helix, the Tornado, or the fuel line magnets, isn't it?

* There are countless factors that affect your fuel economy. The Helix is marketed by J.C. Whitney as a device that "dramatically improves fuel atomization." Have you ever heard of fuel atomization quality being a problem?

* Looking across the various ads for the "Helix Power Tower," which is a throttle body (or carburetor) spacer plate, it sounds like this thing will improve virtually everything. From what I can tell, it will give you 20 horsepower, greatly increase torque, increase your gas mileage significantly, whiten your teeth, keep your refrigerator clean, go get you a beer, clean the litter box, align your wheels, beat up your least favorite Nascar driver, aim the headlights, shampoo the interior, give you rock-hard six-pack abs without exerting any effort whatsoever, and prevent speeding tickets. What was that old expression about "if it sounds too good to be true..."???

* Why does a 1" aluminum "spacer plate" with a spiral pattern in it cost $100 anyway?

Just some food for thought. Personally, I would not invest in the thing. There are so many ways the numbers can be bent to make the thing look attractive. Remember, there are lies, low-down dirty lies, and then there are statistics. The Helix, and devices like it, absolutely do dramatically improve the flow of money out of your bank account. There's also this thing called the "placebo effect," which I believe explains most of the testimonials. That doesn't mean you should go and drop a sugar pill in your gas tank, but I'm pretty sure it would have about the same effect.

Cheers!

Michael

BeelzeBob
10-04-04, 10:55 PM
A good case in point is the throttle body "air foil" that is commonly advertised for the LT1. Seems like a good idea...put an air foil shaped device on the divider in the throttle body to make the divider more aerodynamic. Ought to flow more air and make more power. All the ads claim 25-50 HP....dyno proven.

That part has been tested several times on GM dynos. Every young engineer that comes along seems to get one to try on the dyno in between other work. Guess what. They do NOT make more power. None. Zero. Not sure where the 25-50 HP dyno testimonials were generated but not on an accurate engine dyno.

Hard to understand how a device like the tornado or "helix" could help the fuel atomization in a port fuel injected engine when the helix is up at the throttle body and the fuel is injected at the intake valves....hmmm.....

01STS
10-04-04, 11:19 PM
I agree with the Air Foil comment. I have seen a 3-5 Hp LOSS using one of those on a 95 LT1.
I did not have the oppertunity to test my results on a dyno but the fuel increase was noticable. They claim 20Hp on the package for that application,
but in a truck that weighs over 6000lbs, that would be hard to feel in the seat of the pants. I did see the tires spin harder and longer so some Hp was gained.

BronzeGod
10-05-04, 03:55 AM
I appreciate all the feed back. I didn't know it was such a hott topic. LOL I can see your point about motor companys not onstalling these parts themselves. But there is alot of extras that they don't put on our cars. I would like to see more positive comments though before i buy. Thanks

Pjs
10-05-04, 07:08 AM
If it'll get me an additional 3" on my penis, then I'm all for it! :histeric:

Ranger
10-05-04, 11:46 AM
They have pills for that and they are "guaranteed" to work :histeric:

JimHare
10-05-04, 02:06 PM

Why not just put the Helix on the end of it..more mileage, greater "horsepower", and atomized (fuel?) injection..what more could a woman want?... :)

JSMeloche
10-05-04, 02:24 PM
Better gas mileage and penis enlargment? WOW what a miracle product ;) Can they make my gf breast larger too? or am I asking too much lol

BeelzeBob
10-05-04, 03:44 PM
A guy walks into the bedroom and catches his wife rubbing some cream on her breasts. "What are you doing..??" he asks. "This cream will make my breasts larger" she says. "How much did you pay for that crap?" he asks. "$50,"she says. "Why didn't you just try rubbing toilet paper on them?" he asked angrily. "What would that accomplish??" she replied. "Well" he said "you have been rubbing your ass with toilet paper for years and look how big it is"

This proves that toilet paper will accomplish miracle growth so it could be used for several purposes.....

Pjs
10-05-04, 06:17 PM
"Well" he said "you have been rubbing your ass with toilet paper for years and look how big it is"

I made the mistake of being a smart ass w/ my second wife one day and told her that.........And one day I'll be able to afford the cranioplasty to remove the big dent in my forehead.......... :rolleyes:

95Concours
10-06-04, 06:20 PM
I still have yet to hear from the person or persons that swear the 'Helix' works explaining how it works? I would really love to know.

dkozloski
10-06-04, 07:00 PM
The R-680 Lycoming aircraft radial engine had an impeller that resembled one from an old hoover upright vacuum cleaner attached to the back end of the crankshaft and centered in the intake manifold. It didn't pretend to provide any supercharging but to improve mixture distribution. This is the only moving part in an intake manifold that I have ever heard providing any benefit whatsoever.
The reply I got when I presented an old time automotive engineer with the claims of the throttle body helix was "That's the most rediculous Goddamn thing I ever heard".

Ranger
10-06-04, 09:51 PM
I still have yet to hear from the person or persons that swear the 'Helix' works explaining how it works? I would really love to know.
The fact that you have not heard from anyone that "swears by it" speaks volumns in itself. I did not know what it was til I did a search and found it. I remember trying something like that many, many moons ago on a carburated engine when I was young and gulable. It had the same claims. It didn't do a damn think except lighten my wallet. Put your money to better use, have your car detailed, go out to dinner, go to a strip club, pay someone else to change your oil, treat yourself to a good bottle of vodka or whatever. The list goes on but don't waste it on this thing.

realhighpockets
10-06-04, 11:07 PM
The R-680 Lycoming aircraft radial engine had an impeller that resembled one from an old hoover upright vacuum cleaner attached to the back end of the crankshaft and centered in the intake manifold. It didn't pretend to provide any supercharging but to improve mixture distribution. This is the only moving part in an intake manifold that I have ever heard providing any benefit whatsoever.
The reply I got when I presented an old time automotive engineer with the claims of the throttle body helix was "That's the most rediculous Goddamn thing I ever heard".

I suppose this would work for carbureted engines. It would theoretically keep the fuel atomized. Back in the final years of caburetors, high swirl combustion was the rage it kept the fuel from pooling in the intake. With direct fuel injection, the fuel never has a chance to fall out of suspension.