Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CAD POWERED!!! 
#1 ·
i have a 1974 sedan deville. the sticker under the hood says 501 but also says 472 right under it. so im not completely sure which motor it is although i would say it is the 472. it is in pretty decent condition, swapped out the points dist. for a hei dist and she started right up after setting for 10 years. im looking to sell the motor and possibly the tranny. automatic transmission. im not sure of the mileage but i think it is under 50,000. i just have to check to make sure. any idea of what i could fetch for this motor?

#2 ·
If the engine is original to the car, it will be a 472. I'm not real sure what that "501" stands for but Cadillac never made a 501.....they made a 500 but it was never installed in a Deville until '75.
It's difficult to put a "hard" price on it but I can tell you what I paid. I got a 500 and a matching TH400 trans (unknown condition of either) for $325. Where you live might bring more but it may not bring that much......just depends. What area are you in?

#3 ·
im in southern california, the motor trans are original to the car so i guess it is the 472. motor runs great but i am having trouble finding a steering column for the car. i need to do some body work and some interior work. whoever parked it and let it set for 10 years didnt do so nicely. they took the driver window motor and lifter out, so the window stayed open. the seats and cusions dried out and the carpet is faded. the under dash is in shambles from when they took out the old steering column. we had to weld a steering wheel to a bar and weld that to the steering box just so when we hotwired it, we could move it. surprisingly enough, the car runs great. i want to pull the motor and rebuild, just so i can get the most from it but i just dont have the money. i would sell the whole car if someone could pick it up. ive got the time and space to work on the car, just not the money

#4 ·
There aren't many people looking for that kind of car.....it's too new AND a 4 door. If it was a '70 or older it might be worth messing with but......if your doing it for the money, don't bother....I doubt you'll make any. Parts for Caddys don't usually come cheap (unless you buy a parts car) and cars in good shape don't usually bring much $.
If it were me, I'd pull the engine, trans and some of the trim to sell and dump the rest.

#5 ·
ill give you fifty bucks for it

#6 ·
Take a look on eBay at the price that a "nice" Caddy (of your vintage) sells for. Then figure what it'll cost you to make the car look as good as that one.......I'm sure you'll find that the cost is greater than the selling price.

#11 ·
just engine or engine/trans? and i dont know what it is really worth so i cant really say how much id want for it. i paid 300 for the car with motor. put the hei in there, and yes it did come with points, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. it runs well but still could use some work. make an offer. and i dont have an engine hoist so if you wanted to drive to bakersfield to get the motor, we might have to rent a hoist. im still not sure if i want to sell yet. if the price is right, ill let it go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.