: I'm sure this has been posted hundreds of times before...

mstrjon32
03-03-11, 08:31 PM
...but I just put the UUC shifter in the V and man is it awesome. I had kind of gotten used to the sloppy shifts with the stock shifter and forgot what a proper linkage felt like. The difference is absolutely night and day. I don't know how I was driving around without it. The shifts are firm and direct, and the shifter no longer wobbles around as I go over bumps.

I installed it without removing the exhaust or driveshaft, but after all was said and done, I almost wish I had. The most time consuming part of the job was working around them, it was really pain. I think it would have been faster had I just gotten all of that out of the way.

I did tear up the bottom most rubber boot trying to get it off the old shifter, but they didn't even show it in their instructions as being necessary, so I guess it's not a big deal. I put it on there and wrapped it in some electrical tape anyway.

shadybx7
03-03-11, 08:38 PM
i dont even remember what stock feels like.. i busted that rubber boot as well.common. ehhh..i just packed the pivot with white-lithium grease and its been smooth for 2 + years.. get a heavier shift knob if you wanna make it even better

rand49er
03-03-11, 09:43 PM
Shifter. Still the best mod I've done.

CI-V-IL
03-04-11, 09:59 AM
Shifter. Still the best mod I've done.

I keep hearing this...cant wait to get my shifter back from PISSNUOFF. The wait is killing me!

Congrats on the install!

Chris0nllyn
03-04-11, 02:02 PM
If you don't mind me asking...whats the price run for a UUC shifter and bushings?

You can PM me if you don't want to put it up

Twitch
03-04-11, 03:20 PM
Either my stocker wasn't that bad, or my UUC isn't that good. It feels great but I wouldn't consider it a top mod :noidea:

+1 on the heavy shift knob.

JimmyH
03-04-11, 08:43 PM
Was I just above average with a shifter? In 15000 miles, I never had any problems with the stock shifter, and never missed a shift. I still don't understand all the hate on the stock shifter. Sure they could have made it alot better. But I got used to it very quickly, all six gates became second nature, and the vagueness was gone. You want a bad shifter, try a recent VW.

CadzillaTN
03-04-11, 09:02 PM
No, you just lowered your expectations...

Accuracy wasn't the main problem, it was the general sloppiness. It just doesn't match how tight everything else is on the car..

So, I put my shifter in.., then the rest of the car felt loose!

MikeV
03-04-11, 09:37 PM
Shifter itself is once piece of the puzzle.

1. Shifter (PISNUOFF rocks)
2. Shift boot / knob (Holden/Commodore/GTO is amazing)
3. Flush clutch fluid (Ranger/syringe method is a piece of cake) and fill with synthetic
4. Run good quality synthetic tranny fluid (prefer Amsoil ATD)

My car with 30K miles on it when new (to me) shifted like absolute crap. With above mods it is pure joy and I can literally shift with my pinky its that smooth.

mstrjon32
03-05-11, 09:11 AM
MikeV: Yeah, I've done similar mods now...UUC shifter, flushed clutch with Amsoil DOT 4, and replaced transmission fluid with Amsoil ATD. It's a huge improvement. I wouldn't say I can shift it with my pinky, but it does shift smoothly and most importantly the gears always feel like they're in the same place every time I shift. I will say that I didn't really feel much of a difference changing to the Amsoil in the transmission, it might be a tiny bit smoother when cold, but overall it feels about the same.

CadzillaTN: Somehow, the whole car feels tighter and sportier after I put the new shifter in. It's a good feeling. :)