: 2011 SRX Navagation System woes

zman3001
03-03-11, 05:41 PM
Hey all,

Brand new to Cadillac, but previously owned a Saturn Vue Redline (yeah, big jump in class there!), so I'm not new to GM. Got my 2011 SRX about 2 weeks ago, and had lurked on this forum for reassurance on my purchase just before I picked up the car. Got a Luxury package with Navigation.

When I picked up the car, the dealer was attempting to show me things about the car (he didn't do a good job at all due to the fact that he didn't know a thing about the car, but that is another rant) when the subject of the navigation system came up (no pun intended, very Bond-like pop-up system and I love it). I tried entering my home address into the system and it did not recognize my street (I've been there for 5 years, and its been in the Garmin maps for a little more than 4 years now). I had read on the fourm that there was an update disc available for 2011, so I told the dealer about that (the car I got had been on the lot since last October). The dealer insisted that the maps would update from the satellite and my street would be on there then.

My dad also got an SRX a few days after I did from a different dealer, exact same except for the color and his had only been on the lot for a few days. My address popped right up on his navigation system. So, I made a few calls, told them about the gmnavdisc website, and the dealer still didn't know what the heck to do. Worse, GM could not help the dealer or their service department because they told them it wasn't a disc I needed to update, it was a download. So, I took the car back to the dealer for them to do what they needed to do (they also needed to check the front power port as it was not working since I got the car). They called back a day later saying oh it turns out we really do need the disc, but you'll have to come back next week because we won't have the disc until then.

At this point I don't even know if they'll know what they're doing when they get the disc. Any suggestions as to what I should do??? Thanks.

Ponyman
03-04-11, 07:56 AM
Give them one more chance and then try a different dealer if available.

smiley47
03-04-11, 11:59 AM
This may be oversimplification but have you gone into config and set your nav settings to your geographic region? If the region is correct, why not pull your Dad's nav dvd and put it in your SRX and see how it performs.

Marc NY
03-04-11, 12:02 PM
... When I picked up the car, the dealer was attempting to show me things about the car (he didn't do a good job at all due to the fact that he didn't know a thing about the car, but that is another rant) when the subject of the navigation system came up (no pun intended, very Bond-like pop-up system and I love it). I tried entering my home address into the system and it did not recognize my street (I've been there for 5 years, and its been in the Garmin maps for a little more than 4 years now). I had read on the fourm that there was an update disc available for 2011, so I told the dealer about that (the car I got had been on the lot since last October). The dealer insisted that the maps would update from the satellite and my street would be on there then.

My dad also got an SRX a few days after I did from a different dealer, exact same except for the color and his had only been on the lot for a few days. My address popped right up on his navigation system. So, I made a few calls, told them about the gmnavdisc website, and the dealer still didn't know what the heck to do. Worse, GM could not help the dealer or their service department because they told them it wasn't a disc I needed to update, it was a download. So, I took the car back to the dealer for them to do what they needed to do (they also needed to check the front power port as it was not working since I got the car). They called back a day later saying oh it turns out we really do need the disc, but you'll have to come back next week because we won't have the disc until then.

At this point I don't even know if they'll know what they're doing when they get the disc. Any suggestions as to what I should do??? Thanks.First, I also agree that it is very frustrating when a salesman doesn't know the in and outs of any vehicle especially a new Cadillac! :thepan:

Secondly, one would think that the dealer would know how the new SRX Nav systems really work. The dealer had told me that 2010 and newer vehicles update automatically through WIFI connections. Thus your system can even update while your at home eating dinner is what I was told. Thus there should not be any need to purchase any newer version Nav discs anymore.

It will be interesting to see what your dealer tells you.

zman3001
03-04-11, 02:26 PM
This may be oversimplification but have you gone into config and set your nav settings to your geographic region? If the region is correct, why not pull your Dad's nav dvd and put it in your SRX and see how it performs.

I wish I had a DVD in it. This system is hard-drive based. I believe the regions are correct, but I'll give it a check.

As for the different dealer, I wish I could have had a different dealer fix this problem. Both GM and my original dealer would not let me go to another dealer, namely the dealer who sold my dad his SRX, who seem to know what they are doing. Upon looking at my SRX, the tech guy at the second dealer immediately recognized that it needed a software update, but that I should not be charged the $200 update fee. But then GM and my original dealer said I had to go to my dealer for a fix, which is more than 50 miles away (I should have just gotten mine at the same dealer my dad went to, even though I'm saving some money per monthly payment...it isn't worth this hassle and incompetency).

Supposedly, my original dealer is getting the map update disc on Monday and it should be updated on Tuesday. They say it will only take an hour, but the instruction pamphlet I found on the GM Nav Disc site says it should take three hours (however, they did update my software version by two increments, boy was this car neglected just sitting on their lot, and that should take off some of the time). Got my car back late last night, had to reset all my radio station presets and re-pair my phone, but everything seemed to work fine.

I'm just hoping my car doesn't get screwed up on Tuesday during the map update. I'll keep you all posted.

I did a search on the forum for more information about the GM Nav Disc update process for the SRX specifically, but nothing turned up - just information about the availability of the 2011 update disc. Anyone have any information about the update process itself?

stevec5375
03-04-11, 03:25 PM
I wish I had a DVD in it. This system is hard-drive based. I believe the regions are correct, but I'll give it a check.

As for the different dealer, I wish I could have had a different dealer fix this problem. Both GM and my original dealer would not let me go to another dealer, namely the dealer who sold my dad his SRX, who seem to know what they are doing. Upon looking at my SRX, the tech guy at the second dealer immediately recognized that it needed a software update, but that I should not be charged the $200 update fee. But then GM and my original dealer said I had to go to my dealer for a fix, which is more than 50 miles away (I should have just gotten mine at the same dealer my dad went to, even though I'm saving some money per monthly payment...it isn't worth this hassle and incompetency).

Supposedly, my original dealer is getting the map update disc on Monday and it should be updated on Tuesday. They say it will only take an hour, but the instruction pamphlet I found on the GM Nav Disc site says it should take three hours (however, they did update my software version by two increments, boy was this car neglected just sitting on their lot, and that should take off some of the time). Got my car back late last night, had to reset all my radio station presets and re-pair my phone, but everything seemed to work fine.

I'm just hoping my car doesn't get screwed up on Tuesday during the map update. I'll keep you all posted.

I did a search on the forum for more information about the GM Nav Disc update process for the SRX specifically, but nothing turned up - just information about the availability of the 2011 update disc. Anyone have any information about the update process itself?

Since when did GM and your purchase dealer have control over where you choose to do business? I take my car to any dealer that I please and no one has said a word to me about it.

zman3001
03-04-11, 07:41 PM
Since when did GM and your purchase dealer have control over where you choose to do business? I take my car to any dealer that I please and no one has said a word to me about it.

Basically the other dealer told me that they did not want to be out the money ($200 for the disc plus labor time) for a problem that they were not responsible for, and GM would not cover the costs for that dealer. I can't really blame the other dealer for that position; it wasn't their screw up. I blame GM for not taking more responsibility in making sure this got fixed faster and for the fact that they don't inform their dealers better about the equipment they are selling. Heck, at this point I'm not even sure GM knows how to resolve this issue. I was treated MUCH better as a Saturn owner than I have been as a Cadillac owner. That is just sad.

stevec5375
03-04-11, 08:10 PM
Basically the other dealer told me that they did not want to be out the money ($200 for the disc plus labor time) for a problem that they were not responsible for, and GM would not cover the costs for that dealer. I can't really blame the other dealer for that position; it wasn't their screw up. I blame GM for not taking more responsibility in making sure this got fixed faster and for the fact that they don't inform their dealers better about the equipment they are selling. Heck, at this point I'm not even sure GM knows how to resolve this issue. I was treated MUCH better as a Saturn owner than I have been as a Cadillac owner. That is just sad.

It is sad. One would think when they buy a new car that it would get the latest software upgrades and Nav update as part of the "make ready" efforts. Ultimately it is we the consumers of these products that have the power. If you complain long and hard enough and they still don't fix it, then that would be my last Cadillac.

RippyPartsDept
03-04-11, 08:16 PM
One would think when they buy a new car that it would get the latest software upgrades and Nav update as part of the "make ready" efforts.
the srx was on the lot since October (before the 2011 nav update was out) that's just simple - there is no nav upgrade as part of a PDI - nav updates are on the owner, they're not covered by warranty
(i think this is all due to licensing of the map data from navteq, or whoever)

since the nav updates are not covered under warranty no other dealer can get GM to pay for the update, so out of date nav map data is something that the buyer must beware of when purchasing vehicles that have been on the lot for a long time

the dealer you bought the car from should have offered to get you the update (if you asked for it when purchasing the vehicle)
and in a round-about way that appears to be what is happening

it's a shame that yearly nav updates aren't included in the price of the vehicle
(but that's a whole other argument - and a complex one at that)

zman3001
03-04-11, 09:07 PM
the srx was on the lot since October (before the 2011 nav update was out) that's just simple - there is no nav upgrade as part of a PDI - nav updates are on the owner, they're not covered by warranty
(i think this is all due to licensing of the map data from navteq, or whoever)

since the nav updates are not covered under warranty no other dealer can get GM to pay for the update, so out of date nav map data is something that the buyer must beware of when purchasing vehicles that have been on the lot for a long time

the dealer you bought the car from should have offered to get you the update (if you asked for it when purchasing the vehicle)
and in a round-about way that appears to be what is happening

it's a shame that yearly nav updates aren't included in the price of the vehicle
(but that's a whole other argument - and a complex one at that)

Yeah, I had started reading this forum right before I got the SRX, and knew about the nav update. I brought it up the day I picked up the car and my dealer INSISTED that the maps were updated via satellite, and would not check with the service department. He thought I was impressive because I knew how to use the back button.

In the end, GM should have really done a better job educating their dealers in what they sell, and also should have procedures in place for situations like this, such as update discs available on hand at the dealerships. Its just very frustrating, as about 200 miles so far (and at least another 100 more due on Tuesday) on my SRX can be accounted for as trips back and forth just to this dealer so that they can fix problems that should have been detected or solved from day one.

Nancy116
03-05-11, 12:43 AM
....and THIS is why I'm starting to reconsider the SRX as my first choice when my BMW lease is up. Not only the fact that your street has been there for five years and hence should've been even on an OLD nav system....but the fact that you're getting jerked around by Service. I heard that same saga ("GM won't pay us") when I had a very serious problem with my '05 CTS that they couldn't reproduce. I also had the clueless salesman telling me there was no Climate Control and I had to adjust the fan speed manually. If I were you, I'd be at the point where I'd be in the General Manager's office freaking out. You cannot even get HOME using your x-thousands of dollars Nav system in your x-thousands of dollars so-called luxury vehicle -- unacceptable!!!

Cadillac really needs to start treating their customers like BMW and Mercedes does. Your experience is really a sad reminder of why I switched to BMW when my CTS lease was up.

cam30era
03-05-11, 06:26 AM
....and THIS is why I'm starting to reconsider the SRX as my first choice when my BMW lease is up. Not only the fact that your street has been there for five years and hence should've been even on an OLD nav system....but the fact that you're getting jerked around by Service. I heard that same saga ("GM won't pay us") when I had a very serious problem with my '05 CTS that they couldn't reproduce. I also had the clueless salesman telling me there was no Climate Control and I had to adjust the fan speed manually. If I were you, I'd be at the point where I'd be in the General Manager's office freaking out. You cannot even get HOME using your x-thousands of dollars Nav system in your x-thousands of dollars so-called luxury vehicle -- unacceptable!!!

Cadillac really needs to start treating their customers like BMW and Mercedes does. Your experience is really a sad reminder of why I switched to BMW when my CTS lease was up.

Before you give up because of this story, you should try another Cadillac dealer that is near you. All Cadillac dealers are not clueless. Some of them are knowledgeable, and treat their customer's fairly. And the reverse is also true for BMW and Mercedes dealers, i.e. they are all not saints.

stevec5375
03-05-11, 08:22 AM
Before you give up because of this story, you should try another Cadillac dealer that is near you. All Cadillac dealers are not clueless. Some of them are knowledgeable, and treat their customer's fairly. And the reverse is also true for BMW and Mercedes dealers, i.e. they are all not saints.

Personally, I would ONLY consider another dealer if they are in my same town. If I have to drive a long distance (> 50 miles) to get to one, it's not worth it.

We all know about car salesman. They'll tell you ANYTHING to make the sale. It's unfortunate, but you're basically on your own when it comes to buying a car. Do you homework and don't let new car fever take you over.

Marc NY
03-05-11, 03:07 PM
It is sad. One would think when they buy a new car that it would get the latest software upgrades and Nav update as part of the "make ready" efforts. Ultimately it is we the consumers of these products that have the power. If you complain long and hard enough and they still don't fix it, then that would be my last Cadillac.When you buy a new car you get what was the latest updates at the time the vehicle was built. If it sits on the lot for months and or it is built before the latest Nav discs are out how in the world do you expect the Nav disc systems to have the latest updates? BTW: The service rep told me that each GM dealer can give out one free Nav disc for each owner's first Nav upgrade.

NOTE: Again, I was told by my dealer's service guy that the new SRX Nav. systems (2010+) get their updates automatically via WIFI. There is NO NAV DISC!

The newer Navs systems are suppose to get their updates downloaded automatically when your Nav system requires an update. Supposedly the updates are all free for the life of the Nav system.

*If I was told wrong please feel free to correct me.

stevec5375
03-05-11, 03:41 PM
When you buy a new car you get what was the latest updates at the time the vehicle was built. If it sits on the lot for months and or it is built before the latest Nav discs are out how in the world do you expect the Nav disc systems to have the latest updates? BTW: The service rep told me that each GM dealer can give out one free Nav disc for each owner's first Nav upgrade.

NOTE: Again, I was told by my dealer's service guy that the new SRX Nav. systems (2010+) get their updates automatically via WIFI. There is NO NAV DISC!

The newer Navs systems are suppose to get their updates downloaded automatically when your Nav system requires an update. Supposedly the updates are all free for the life of the Nav system.

*If I was told wrong please feel free to correct me.

You were told wrong.

Go here: http://www.gmnavdisc.com/buy-a-disc.asp?lang=en

Fill in the info for either the 2010 or 2011 SRX and you will see that the Nav update disc costs $199 from Cadillac.

BTW, this topic has been discuss numerous times in lots of threads already. All you have to do is SEARCH to find them. :)

smiley47
03-05-11, 04:07 PM
You were told wrong.

Fill in the info for either the 2010 or 2011 SRX and you will see that the Nav update disc costs $199 from Cadillac.

BTW, this topic has been discuss numerous times in lots of threads already. All you have to do is SEARCH to find them. :)

Thanks Steve, for verifying what I said in post #3.

Marc NY
03-06-11, 09:32 AM
You were told wrong.

BTW, this topic has been discuss numerous times in lots of threads already. All you have to do is SEARCH to find them. :)Steve, I stand corrected on my info. Once again that shows me/us how uninformed some of these dealer service people are. :banghead:

I should have pulled out my 2010 owners manual instead and I would have seen that you guys were correct with the Nav Disc having to be used to install the updates onto the SRX's HD and not WIFI. :mad2: That service guy will certainly get an ear full from me in person the next time I go back to pick up my new 2011 SRX.

Steve I am curious as to what are your thoughts on my other comments in my previous post? See below quote and reply. I now question whether the service guy was correct about we can get 1 free upgrade Nav disc?? :hmm:

It is sad. One would think when they buy a new car that it would get the latest software upgrades and Nav update as part of the "make ready" efforts. Ultimately it is we the consumers of these products that have the power. If you complain long and hard enough and they still don't fix it, then that would be my last Cadillac.When you buy a new car you get what was the latest updates at the time the vehicle was built. If it sits on the lot for months and or it is built before the latest Nav discs are out how in the world do you expect the Nav disc systems to have the latest updates? BTW: The service rep told me that each GM dealer can give out one free Nav disc for each owner's first Nav upgrade.

stevec5375
03-06-11, 11:03 AM
Steve, I stand corrected on my info. Once again that shows me/us how uninformed some of these dealer service people are. :banghead:

I should have pulled out my 2010 owners manual instead and I would have seen that you guys were correct with the Nav Disc having to be used to install the updates onto the SRX's HD and not WIFI. :mad2: That service guy will certainly get an ear full from me in person the next time I go back to pick up my new 2011 SRX.

Steve I am curious as to what are your thoughts on my other comments in my previous post? See below quote and reply. I now question whether the service guy was correct about we can get 1 free upgrade Nav disc?? :hmm:

When you buy a new car you get what was the latest updates at the time the vehicle was built. If it sits on the lot for months and or it is built before the latest Nav discs are out how in the world do you expect the Nav disc systems to have the latest updates? BTW: The service rep told me that each GM dealer can give out one free Nav disc for each owner's first Nav upgrade.

Marc, I would imagine that the dealer has the option of giving you the latest Nav disc for free at his/her option as part of customer service. Someone else on this forum said that the Nav disc is not a warranty item so that means that they are not obligated to give it to you since GM won't reimburse them for it. However, I "suspect" that the dealer can the get Nav disc for a much reduced price. Did you notice on that Nav Disc update web link I posted had the following:

Note: If you are a GM dealer searching for a navigation software update disc, you must first login for these items to be displayed. To login, click here.

If you are purchasing a new SRX and have not yet taken delivery, I would ask them to update the Nav to the latest Nav disk and see what they say.

Marc NY
03-06-11, 11:17 AM
Steve some good points you make. :thumbsup:

BTW: Here is a link to get a NAV Disc on eBay for only $149.00

eBay Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-09-2010-2011-CADILLAC-SRX-NAVIGATION-DISC-CD-DVD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b8c8696cQQitemZ17060 3866476QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo)

mm9351
03-06-11, 04:39 PM
I have been disappointed with my Nav on more than a few occasions, once sending me on several wrong roads in NJ, probably due to all the construction / closed exits. Also I cannot believe the map does not have a major hospital as a POI (Good Samaritan Hospital) on Long Island. I would better appreciate having all emergency POIs, hospitals, etc. instead of every deli, grocery, and pizza place in town! I feel I should be entitled to a one-time complimentary update...is the dealer the best place to start? Thanks in advance.

RippyPartsDept
03-06-11, 08:43 PM
dealers pay $199 for the discs just like the consumer...

and it is a customer satisfaction issue to get you the updated disc on a car that has an out of date disc... happens all the time on our lot with the used cars

BUT

the buyer has to ask for it... all part of the sales negotiation ... just like you have to ask for a discount if you don't want to pay sticker price you'll have to ask for an updated nav if you don't want the nav that's currently in it

now i understand that on a new car purchase you wouldn't expect the nav to be out of date so you might not think to check or to ask
but in this case it seems as though your selling dealer is 'doing the right thing' and getting you that nav update
so what's the fuss all about?

RippyPartsDept
03-06-11, 08:49 PM
by the way
anyone selling a brand new nav disc on ebay (or wherever) for less than the $200 that it costs has stolen it (at an auction or dealership)
or acquired it some other shady way... the only legit way to get a new disc is to buy it from http://gmnavdisc.com and pay $199 plus shipping

stevec5375
03-07-11, 08:19 AM
by the way
anyone selling a brand new nav disc on ebay (or wherever) for less than the $200 that it costs has stolen it (at an auction or dealership)
or acquired it some other shady way... the only legit way to get a new disc is to buy it from http://gmnavdisc.com and pay $199 plus shipping

What if it's one they personally bought and they're trying to recoup some of their money? Is the disc coded in such a way that it will only work on one Nav unit?

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 09:20 AM
I personally buy all our navdiscs and we pay the same amount as you do to get them.

the only way that GM will pay for a navdisc (that i know of) is if you have a warrnty issue with your navradio and the disc will not eject ... the navradio gets repalced and you get a new navdisc

i'm not sure what you mean by 'recoup some of their money' and i'm not sure about the discs being locked to one vehicle, but as far as i know as long as the disc is made for your type of nav unit it will work

now that the nav system is based off the hard drive you might think that you could use the nav disc on many vehicles
(which i think you could)
BUT
as far as i know the disc has to be in the drive to activate the usage of the maps even though it's not using the disc for access to the maps

stevec5375
03-07-11, 11:00 AM
I personally buy all our navdiscs and we pay the same amount as you do to get them.

the only way that GM will pay for a navdisc (that i know of) is if you have a warrnty issue with your navradio and the disc will not eject ... the navradio gets repalced and you get a new navdisc

i'm not sure what you mean by 'recoup some of their money' and i'm not sure about the discs being locked to one vehicle, but as far as i know as long as the disc is made for your type of nav unit it will work

now that the nav system is based off the hard drive you might think that you could use the nav disc on many vehicles
(which i think you could)
BUT
as far as i know the disc has to be in the drive to activate the usage of the maps even though it's not using the disc for access to the maps

Let me give you an example. :) Let's say I purchase the disc for full price from GM and do my Nav update. Now I have no further use for the disc. So, I put it on eBay for less than the GM price in an attempt to recover as much of my $199 as possible. Make sense? :)

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 11:16 AM
you still do have use for the disc... you can't use your nav system without that disc in the drive...

just like many computer game companies have required you to have your game disc in the drive even though the game doesn't pull any info off the disc (since it installed the game on your hard drive)...
it's basically a copy protection strategy

stevec5375
03-07-11, 12:25 PM
you still do have use for the disc... you can't use your nav system without that disc in the drive...

just like many computer game companies have required you to have your game disc in the drive even though the game doesn't pull any info off the disc (since it installed the game on your hard drive)...
it's basically a copy protection strategy

Here's the instructions for installing the Nav update from page 45 of the 2010 SRX Nav Manual.

Installing the DVD Map Disc
Your dealer installs the map
database information on the HDD.
An updated map disc can be used
to update the map database
information, see Ordering Map
DVDs on page 75 later in this
section.
Before updating the map database
on the HDD, read the following
steps:
1. Turn ignition on.
2. Press VOL/ O to turn the
system on.
3. Insert the map update disc into
the slot, label side up.
4. Press the Update screen button
when the Update Confirmation
screen displays.
5. Enter the Authentication Code,
then press Enter.
6. If the correct code is entered, the
system starts updating and the
status bar displays.
7. Press X after the map database
update is completed.
If the application update file is
included in the disc, the application
update is also done.

There is no mention of having to leave the DVD in the drive for copy protection purposes. That make no sense at all. How would you be able to play a CD for music and use the Nav at the same time?

I think you are incorrect on this one. :)

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 12:34 PM
ah, yes so the authorization code is where it ties your disc to your VIN - you won't be able to use the auth code you get for your disc on any other vehicles since they will require a different auth code

basically (as i understand it) the auth code somehow is 'decrypted' to match part of your vin - if you could hack (figure out) their method you would be able to use one disc on many cars by then figuring out what the auth code should be based on the VIN

but i suspect that this would not be an easy thing to do (and would also probably be illegal)

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 01:20 PM
also, because of this ... don't buy a nav disc used (or even a new one for that matter) - as it will probably not be able to work on your car

UNLESS they are burning the discs to match the auth code (which i doubt - I'm pretty sure the auth code is tied to the VIN)