: So I want another Cadillac, but I don't know how to drive automatic.

Lupin
03-03-11, 08:53 AM
I have decided I want to start working towards another Cadillac, however, after owning the V, I have decided that I am no longer able to operate an automatic transmission, and thus, my option are either to go all the way back to 1940 & prior, or... the unmentionable.

When I started looking just for fun around ebay at manual Cadillacs, I was surprised they continued somewhat into the 40's, but there is not very much information surrounding that. I was wondering what you all knew about manuals in Cadillacs, IE, when were automatics introduced to the line, and was manual phased out over a period or just cut, as it seems to have been, and also what a good example of a manual Cadillac is to strive towards.

Stingroo
03-03-11, 09:14 AM
Solution: A 94-96 Fleetwood Brougham with a T56 swap.

[/thread]

billc83
03-03-11, 09:36 AM
Solution: Cimarron.

mhamilton
03-03-11, 10:18 AM
I was surprised they continued somewhat into the 40's, but there is not very much information surrounding that. I was wondering what you all knew about manuals in Cadillacs, IE, when were automatics introduced to the line, and was manual phased out over a period or just cut, as it seems to have been, and also what a good example of a manual Cadillac is to strive towards.

The GM HydraMatic was offered in cars just before the war for 1940 models. First Oldsmobile, then the next year Cadillac. Didn't really come into its own until post-war models, though. The standard column shift manual was still base equipment on Cad until the 1952 model year, when the auto became standard equipment on all Cadillacs until the Cimarron.

The-Dullahan
03-03-11, 10:36 AM
Don't get him started, he liked Cimmarons.

The obvious solution is to put a manual into an Automattillac.

Ranger
03-03-11, 11:06 AM
I have decided I want to start working towards another Cadillac, however, after owning the V, I have decided that I am no longer able to operate an automatic transmission, and thus, my option are either to go all the way back to 1940 & prior, or... the unmentionable.

:hmm: This IS a joke, right?

ThumperPup
03-03-11, 11:09 AM
scratching head OMG

Stingroo
03-03-11, 11:55 AM
:hmm: This IS a joke, right?

Matt is quite the sarcastic fellow. :p

Sevillian273
03-03-11, 01:12 PM
Hey now, going from P all the way through N, finally to land on D is quite the endeavor. Having to go to the dreaded R prior to this task, all while doing absolutely nothing with your left foot, makes this arduous journey all the more challenging.

The-Dullahan
03-03-11, 05:29 PM
Yes, he tells people this at Autozone and they are dumb enough to buy into it.

Matt, if one of your options is to buy a pre-1940's Cadillac it implies you have the opportunity to. Should this be the case, DO IT.

Also, you could buy a non-Cadillac.

Also, where are you going to park this one? I mean, you have room (lucky bastard) but you'll be playing tetris just backing out of the driveway.

Playdrv4me
03-03-11, 07:32 PM
...you'll be playing tetris just backing out of the driveway.

I lol'ed.

orconn
03-03-11, 07:56 PM
I know what you mean by those confounding automatic transmissions .... I'm still working on power brakes and that dang power steering! They just don't build 'em like they used too!

Sevillian273
03-03-11, 08:03 PM
Power steering is for nancy boys. Power brakes?! Whats the matter, nancy boy? Stomp on that pedal like you mean it!

Jesda
03-03-11, 08:38 PM
I use my feet to stop and go.

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Destroyer
03-03-11, 11:30 PM
Solution: Cimarron.Now that is a solution to a question never asked................:lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-11, 12:17 AM
Looks like you're stuck in CTSville.

Stingroo
03-04-11, 08:15 AM
My suggestion still stands (and so far, wins).

pimpin88
03-04-11, 08:11 PM
Owning a T56'ed Buick Roadmaster sedan I 100% agree.

My suggestion still stands (and so far, wins).

Jesda
03-04-11, 09:20 PM
A Roadmaster of any sort would satisfy a V owner the way my Saab would satisfy a Porsche 911 owner.

[Not at all.]

But since this whole thread is just a theoretical exercise, get a Cadillac Sixteen body, a ZR1 engine, and a manual with the slickness of a Mazda RX8 and you'd have magic.

pimpin88
03-05-11, 09:42 AM
The key here is that it's a 6 speed manual (T56). So a T56 fleetwood would satisfy the requirements.

A Roadmaster of any sort would satisfy a V owner the way my Saab would satisfy a Porsche 911 owner.

[Not at all.]

Stingroo
03-05-11, 09:50 AM
Plus, as they say:

We can rebuild him - we have the technology. :thumbsup:

drewsdeville
03-05-11, 10:50 AM
Well, if you wanted to go that route, you get yourself any manual car you like and replace all badging with Cadillac equivalents. Done.

Stingroo
03-05-11, 10:53 AM
That'd be exceptionally lame though.

drewsdeville
03-05-11, 10:57 AM
Exactly

Stingroo
03-05-11, 11:21 AM
So I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What you said is totally different from what I said. :lol:

Jesda
03-05-11, 11:33 AM
The key here is that it's a 6 speed manual (T56). So a T56 fleetwood would satisfy the requirements.

No doubt, it would be pretty awesome, and I'd drive one with a huge sh**-eating grin on my face... but there's that whole chassis/suspension/steering thing.

drewsdeville
03-05-11, 11:34 AM
So I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What you said is totally different from what I said. :lol:

In considering the OP's problem, swapping badging is lame, like substituting a manual in a Fleetwood. Technically, they both work, however.

:hide:

:nyanya:

Stingroo
03-05-11, 11:36 AM
No doubt, it would be pretty awesome, and I'd drive one with a huge sh**-eating grin on my face... but there's that whole chassis/suspension/steering thing.

The Impala SS can help that. :lol: However that's a topic we've covered a million times.

My real question is, what the hell is Matt going to end up driving? It could be interesting.

Jesda
03-05-11, 11:51 AM
Would be kind of awesome to get a Mustang GT. :hide:

Stingroo
03-05-11, 11:57 AM
Not in Florida it wouldn't. :p

pimpin88
03-05-11, 12:37 PM
Yea.....anything can be fixed with enough money, right?

Jesda
03-05-11, 04:22 PM
Yea.....anything can be fixed with enough money, right?

:thumbsup:

77CDV
03-05-11, 10:57 PM
My real question is, what the hell is Matt going to end up driving? It could be interesting.

Pontiac Sunfire! :duck:

Stingroo
03-05-11, 11:19 PM
No no, not tall Matt. THIS Matt. :histeric:

77CDV
03-06-11, 12:09 AM
But I thought the Sunfire convertible was THE official car of south Florida!?! :hide:

Jesda
03-06-11, 12:18 AM
You cant turn 16 in the south without getting a used sunfire for your birthday.

93DevilleUSMC
03-06-11, 12:52 AM
Camaro SS? It's available with a 6-speed manual and 426HP, and the V would be a good trade-in towards said SS.

Stingroo
03-06-11, 12:53 AM

I didn't get shit for my 16th birthday. :lol:

Aron9000
03-06-11, 01:18 AM

This is funny because I knew three people in high school who had Sunfires, and two who had equally shitty Grand Ams. I lived in a rich county, so these were nice, newer, if not new cars 10 years ago.

Lupin
03-11-11, 05:50 PM
Sorry for not replying for so long, but I think my leaving the thread to develop itself made it all the more hilarious.

Am I serious? Yes and no. Yes because now whenever I try to drive an automatic car my left foot is all confused, as is my right hand, and the absence of complete control of torque is saddening. Plus, when I am going to slow down in an automatic car and I slam my left foot down, it inevitably hits the stupidly over-sized brake pedal and puts my face into the dash.

A T56 fleetwood brougham would be awesome with a big obnoxious floor shifter... but putting a manual into one of those things would probably be far costlier than buying a resto-able pre-war caddy/lasalle. (Speaking of which, I saw an LS1/T56 1939 Lasalle on the dyno once, awesome.)

orconn
03-11-11, 07:15 PM
Now that you are back, how do you get those push button windows to work? I really miss the simplicity and body building penitential of crank windows! truth is after fifty years my arm instinctively goes in to a a circular cranking motion whenever someone in my car figures out how to make the windows go up and down.

cadillac kevin
03-11-11, 09:11 PM
I hate rolling down windows in my lesabre. I always want to crank them towards myself to roll down (like a normal car) but that rolls them up since the car is back asswards.

Ranger
03-11-11, 10:36 PM
I had the same problem when I went from stick to automatic............................... for about a week.

Aron9000
03-12-11, 01:50 AM
I had the same problem when I went from stick to automatic............................... for about a week.

I'm so used to the automatic that sometimes I'll hop in my truck(stick shift), turn the key, and be like WTF? Won't crank, nothing. Then I remember to push the clutch in and put my foot on the brake. Sometimes I'll zone out while driving the truck and I'll be like, why is it so damn noisy, oh yeah, gotta shift. Or it will start bucking on me while I'm slowing down and I'm like, oh yeah, forgot about having to downshift.

Lupin
03-12-11, 07:44 AM
I don't see what's so ridiculous about not knowing how to drive automatic. Automatic transmissions are just too complicated! I am not willing to put forth the effort to learn to operate something so complex as an automatic transmission, have you seen how many moving parts and pumps are in an automatic transmission? Dangerous!

Ranger
03-12-11, 02:17 PM
I think you have that backwards. An automatic transmission may be more complicated mechanically than a standard transmission, but it is far easier to drive. If you can drive a stick, you can drive an automatic. There is nothing to learn. If you can't learn to drive an automatic, you probably should not be driving.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-12-11, 08:50 PM
I don't see what's so ridiculous about not knowing how to drive automatic. Automatic transmissions are just too complicated! I am not willing to put forth the effort to learn to operate something so complex as an automatic transmission, have you seen how many moving parts and pumps are in an automatic transmission? Dangerous!

I hope that's sarcasm, otherwise if you're worried about how complicated the automatic transmission is, you're overanalyzing it.

Stingroo
03-12-11, 09:36 PM
*facepalm*

All over this thread.

Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 09:51 PM
http://q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/Screen_shot_2011-03-12_at_8_45_07_PM.png

And you thought shifters were tough...

gary88
03-12-11, 10:10 PM
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9118/screenshot20110312at845.jpg

Stingroo
03-12-11, 10:11 PM
Rofl'd so damn hard. Oh my god....

Playdrv4me
03-12-11, 10:13 PM

Did that one REALLY require outlining? :p

77CDV
03-12-11, 10:17 PM

Dude, you so read my mind! :lol:

Ranger
03-12-11, 10:19 PM
:histeric:

greencadillacmatt
03-12-11, 10:31 PM
Post of the Day. And tomorrow. Hell, post of the week. :D

Aron9000
03-13-11, 12:15 AM
http://q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/Screen_shot_2011-03-12_at_8_45_07_PM.png

And you thought shifters were tough...

Hmmm . . .

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/rango-poster_572x848.jpg

Playdrv4me
03-13-11, 12:26 AM
omg lol.

Lupin
03-13-11, 08:27 AM
I love this forum. It's like stealing babies from a candy shop.

Jesda
03-13-11, 04:06 PM
LMAO, rango

Stingroo
04-18-12, 01:07 AM
Bump for LOLs.

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 01:27 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lupin
04-18-12, 01:42 PM
Okay so no one ever gave me a serious answer! I am still looking. I am debating whether to just wait for the ATS to come out, as I'm sure they will offer a proper transmission in that car, or to just bite the bullet and learn. Can anyone give some tips?

CadillacLuke24
04-18-12, 01:47 PM
Newer CTSes have manuals. First generation ones. Maybe STSes too. START LOOKING!

Lupin
04-18-12, 01:55 PM
Saabs are Cadillac, right? I went to the Cadillac dealership to get my car aligned, and when they were giving me a rental car, I told them I couldn't drive automatic, and they put me in a Saab for the weekend. It was quite nice. What do you guys think of those?

orconn
04-18-12, 02:12 PM
Ok, here's the scoop! You place your dead ass in the driver's seat, look under the steering wheel and you will see "two" peddles, not three. Where the gear shift lever on a a stick shift care you will find a lever with letters at the base of it. You do know your alphabet? Well assuming you know what "D" looks like, you move the lever so the line or light is at "D" (you must depress the brake pedal to be able to move the lever to "D." Now if you want to go forward you press on the pedal to the right (you do know right from left/), if you wan to slow down or stop you press the peddle to the left. You steer the car the same as a car with a manual transmission. This should get you started, getting this all down may be difficult at first but with perseverance and practice you should be able to master the driving of a automatic transmission car. If you need help operating the power windows feel free to ask!

Lupin
04-18-12, 02:27 PM
I get the power windows but I don't understand the automatic window feature on some cars. Can you help with that? It's scary.

orconn
04-18-12, 02:30 PM
I get the power windows but I don't understand the automatic window feature on some cars. Can you help with that? It's scary.

Yeah, they are tough, I had trouble with those myself! I suggest you PM our member Pup for the complete explanation.

The-Dullahan
04-18-12, 02:36 PM
Given my personal collection, I cannot imagine having power windows and an standard transmission at once. Neither my Pontiac nor Chevy have power windows. The work truck does, but I think this is because it is nearly twenty years newer and that by having twelve speeds, it is permitted to break normal rules about what is acceptable in a standard.

Why not just figure out what type of Cadillac you want and drop a standard transmission into it? Some of them would be fairly easy swaps without doing anything really too custom to them. Just avoid bench seats.

Lupin
04-18-12, 02:43 PM
Why not just figure out what type of Cadillac you want and drop a standard transmission into it? Some of them would be fairly easy swaps without doing anything really too custom to them. Just avoid bench seats.

Do you have any idea what has to go into swapping an automatic to manual in most cases? It's easy to say how easy it is, another thing to actually go through with it. Mounting the transmission to the ENGINE is no problem, but there is a myriad of parts that would have to be custom fabricated. Bench seats would be the least of the problem. That's what "nut slapper" shifters are for. A custom linkage would have to be made, the pedals would only be "easy" if there is a car with the same body that came with a manual option, in many cases this didn't happen, and one has to work out some way of either working off the brake pedal bracket. Even if there WAS a car with the same body with a manual option, the pedal brackets tend to run upwards of a grand, and are almost impossible to find. Sorting out the pedals, linkage/MC if doing hydraulic would run in the thousands on its own. Then of course having to figure out. Custom crossmember would have to be set up, driveshaft shortened/lengthened, bellhousing setup, finding a proper flywheel/clutch combo to work with your engine/trans. It's a huge ordeal.

The-Dullahan
04-18-12, 06:35 PM
A mildly long winded story and accompanying photo of how an associate swapped a standard into a car that was sold exclusively in automatic. With great tragedy, because no specific transmission or car were mentioned prior, by choosing to use a random transmission.car matchup as an example, it is somehow wrong.

In short, not doing something because it is complicated, is a poor reason not to do it.

Lupin
04-18-12, 07:09 PM
I would love to see you drop a T5 or an M21 into an automatic G body with "a three pack and a set of wal mart sockets." In three days, much less three hours. Your wild claims and surplus of zeal speak volumes as to the legitimacy of your experiences. Especially given that the last time I saw you, just under a year ago, you were unable to get my V rolling, much less competently operate a manual vehicle, and FAR from exhibiting the ability to perform a transmission swap. I am sure you have learned much over that time, but your bravado is not impressive, nor is it helpful. I'm sure there is a market for that type of flagrant narcissism on tumblr, I bet they'd find you to be quite the catch.

Stingroo
04-18-12, 07:12 PM
:food-snacking:

drewsdeville
04-18-12, 09:36 PM
There's a difference between slapping something together in 3 hours and doing something right.

If you really want to do it right, work out the geometry and align everything CORRECTLY so you aren't replacing tailshafts, pinions, and u-joints every 10k, build proper mounts and possibly relocate the crossmember, fabricate or buy a flywheel with a matching pressure plate, mount the master and slave cylinders as well as route their plumbing, route cables and pedal linkage, plumb exhaust neatly, design a professional looking console, a manual conversion will NEVER be a 3 hour job. If it was done in 3 hours, it was done by a hack and it's most likely ugly, BARELY functional, and definitely not something to rely on.

Something tells me that when the word "clutch" is mentioned, this guy thinks of this
http://blog.mimiboutique.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/white_polka_dot_clutch1.jpg
instead of this
http://www.zf.com/media/media/img_1/brands_1/sachs/products_sachs/clutches_sachs/clutch_kit_600x570_CV_SACHS.jpg

After reading whats been posted here, I can't wait to see the finished product on that 500 swap - if it's even him doing it (is he just taking pictures of someone else doing the work?). If it is him, I'm sure that'll be a marvel of engineering. Lulz

By the way, if a manual trans swap is a mere 3 hour job, surely that engine swap should be done by now, no?

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 09:40 PM
There's a difference between slapping something together in 3 hours and doing something right. A manual conversion will NEVER be a 3 hour job. If it was done in 3 hours, it was done by a hack and it's not something to rely on.

http://www.zennzenn.com/true_logo.jpg#TRUE

gary88
04-18-12, 09:45 PM
I like cake.

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 09:48 PM
I prefer brownies, thank you. But cake is good. So long as it's chocolate.

Lupin
04-18-12, 10:06 PM
I am partial to cake, however I have been known to err on the side of pie when rhubarb is involved.

The-Dullahan
04-18-12, 10:17 PM
There's a difference between slapping something together in 3 hours and doing something right.

If you really want to do it right, work out the geometry and align everything CORRECTLY so you aren't replacing tailshafts, pinions, and u-joints every 10k, build proper mounts and possibly relocate the crossmember, mount master, slave cylinders, and route their plumbing, route cables and pedal linkage, plumb exhaust neatly, design a professional looking console, a manual conversion will NEVER be a 3 hour job. If it was done in 3 hours, it was done by a hack and it's most likely ugly, BARELY functional, and definitely not something to rely on.

After reading whats been posted here, I can't wait to see the finished product on that 500 swap - if it's even him doing it (is he just taking pictures of someone else doing the work?). If it is him, I'm sure that'll be a marvel of engineering. Lulz

Excuse me, do I know you?

I think you mistake my meaning, so let me give you the Cliff's Notes version. Basically every key you highlighted was done (Except for a few unnecessary steps, given the application) with the exception of making it look "pretty". It remained fairly "Ugly" in my opinion, as it was done in a vehicle that was clearly not meant to have a stick shift and was thereby connected to the floor (another reason why I personally would not install a standard transmission in a vehicle with a bench seat to begin with) and the car since put on at least 70,000 miles that I am aware of in a rural, mountainous area, without a transmission problem to date (Admittedly, I have no spoken with said individual in about a month, but I could call and see) I actually have a few photos from the restoration.customization of the car and someplace, he has dozens more on whatever website he frequents, so I will try to track the rest down for you. Aside from the fact that it has a shifter sticking from the middle of the floor, I think it came out very well.

You can nitpick the overall installation all you like, because it was not mine. My Automatic/Standard conversion looks factory (I of course had the obvious advantage of a vehicle meant for a standard transmission and access to a number of parts sources, so I believe my associate can be forgiven for the cosmetic appearance of his) and while I cannot say it runs like factory (Since neither engine nor transmission ARE factory) it certainly runs as well as it would have, had the factory installed said components as options. The transmission install in my personl case was done over a number of days (Not continual work) while the car was completely gutted and had not so much as an interior. In spite of this, I still suspect it will be a more difficult install than my current engine swap (And definitely simpler than in the truck) but I appreciate your concern on the subject of my current engine swap. It lets me know how much you care and I am touched, deeply, by your great display of emotion. If you are however still questioning who has been doing the work and for some reason believe I would actually let them use the various portions of my house that said photos have clearly depicted for said project (And ironically, the swap for the Pontiac as well, though I actually had an extra set of hands help me with that project, for which I am quite grateful) when they should certainly be doing such work in their own shop, rather than my garages/Kitchen/Living room/Driveway as said photos have contained, I will make you a deal; You can always fly down from...wherever it is that you are from (I will cover your air fare and expenses, naturally) and we can place a little wager on where precisely this work has been being done and by whom. I will look forward to hearing your explanation of said progress and work at that point.

----------

By the way, if a manual trans swap is a mere 3 hour job, surely that engine swap should be done by now, no?

Difference being that swap was three hours after all work was done and all supplies were gathered. It was also a far less technically complicated swap, but apparently that is beyond your grasp of reason. Another thing to remember is that the individual had (at the time) only one car, so he waited until everything was ready before proceeding and had several other people there doing said work with him when time for the swap came. I on the other hand work longer hours than my associate did (or still does, actually) and have other vehicles I have been working on and am left with a lot less free time on my hands. After the supplies for my swap are all put together and I have everything set to do so just as I want, it will be done, all in one day, and you can put money on that.

Lupin
04-18-12, 10:21 PM
Excuse me, do I know you?...

....If you are however still questioning who has been doing the work and for some reason believe I would actually let them use the various portions of my house that said photos have clearly depicted for said project (And ironically, the swap for the Pontiac as well) when they should certainly be doing such work in their own shop, rather than my garages/Kitchen/Living room/Driveway as said photos have contained, I will make you a deal; You can always fly down from...wherever it is that you are from (I will cover your air fare and expenses, naturally) and we can place a little wager on where precisely this work has been being done and by whom. I will look forward to hearing your explanation of said progress and work at that point.

You know me. Does that offer extend to land travel? If you'll pay him for airfare, you'll surely be able to comp me the $20 in gas it would take me to drive over to your house and see your work with my own eyes? Of course, I would objectively relay to everyone whether or not you actually own this affluence of motor vehicles, and gauge your mechanical competence as well.

Also, a great many FACTORY manual transmissions are "connected to the floor," the term "four on the floor," didn't come from shoddy installations. False assertions like that only solidify presumptions of your mechanical ability.

The-Dullahan
04-18-12, 10:22 PM
you were unable to get my V rolling

Well that's a tad funny, considering that when I got my driver's license (Circa 2005, which I am fairly certain was more than a year ago), I had to take the test in a standard-equipped vehicle. Odd that they would pass me without said car even "rolling" nonetheless making it through the full test. :hmm: Stranger still that the occupation I held up until 2008 required I drive a work-issued vehicle, which though there were several and I never had only a single, specific one, they were all identical and were all standard. Stranger still that (If I include my work truck) I own (and drive) as many standard-equipped vehicles as automatics (As of this date, 2012)

I imagine, it is harder to convince me of something than it is of the Forum, considering as I know the facts behind such a claim, no?

drewsdeville
04-18-12, 10:23 PM
I like how a few paragraphs of sudden excuses pop up now in a scramble to defend. You went from "manual trans swaps are short and easy" to "well, my buddy had this" and "well, this was already kind of done". So what did you actually do - step in after it was pretty much done, grab a beer, screw on the shifter knob and sit in the driver's seat making engine sounds with your mouth while jamming gears - imagining you are Mario Andretti? That doesn't count.

If it's you performing the engine swap, get it done, bro. Should only take 2 more hours, max, with a beer break or two in between. :alchi:If you can complete a 3 hour trans conversion but can't post a completed engine swap within 24 hours, it's probably safe to assume you're full of shit on at least one (trans swap), or perhaps both accounts (engine and trans swaps). Save your money, bro - no need to fly me in. You have nothing to prove to me that I already don't know.

By the way guys: I installed central air into an apartment complex in about 5 hours. Pretty standard stuff - I just put it in there and hooked everything up...and stuff. It's been working for like 10 years now.

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 10:30 PM
Damnnnn....

93DevilleUSMC
04-20-12, 12:05 PM
I was hoping this thread was dead and would STAY dead. No such luck.

drewsdeville
04-20-12, 12:24 PM
Wasn't smart to bump it up 2 days later then, was it?

93DevilleUSMC
04-20-12, 01:42 PM
It was still on page one.

CadillacLuke24
04-20-12, 03:04 PM
:bump: :hijacked:

Like you said, either gonna have to get another V, a CTS base, or something before 1960, more like before 1941.

Why'd you get rid of the V? :suspect:

truckinman
04-20-12, 03:09 PM

Lmao LMAO!!!

Stingroo
04-20-12, 03:31 PM
^ Someone gets it!

The-Dullahan
04-21-12, 04:59 PM
I like how a few paragraphs of sudden excuses pop up now in a scramble to defend. You went from "manual trans swaps are short and easy" to "well, my buddy had this" and "well, this was already kind of done". So what did you actually do - step in after it was pretty much done, grab a beer, screw on the shifter knob and sit in the driver's seat making engine sounds with your mouth while jamming gears - imagining you are Mario Andretti? That doesn't count.

If it's you performing the engine swap, get it done, bro. Should only take 2 more hours, max, with a beer break or two in between. :alchi:If you can complete a 3 hour trans conversion but can't post a completed engine swap within 24 hours, it's probably safe to assume you're full of shit on at least one (trans swap), or perhaps both accounts (engine and trans swaps). Save your money, bro - no need to fly me in. You have nothing to prove to me that I already don't know.

By the way guys: I installed central air into an apartment complex in about 5 hours. Pretty standard stuff - I just put it in there and hooked everything up...and stuff. It's been working for like 10 years now.

That's a cool story and I am so proud that you install AC for a Living. If you ever want a real job, I can hire you.

In response to your last idiotic message, there are a few key points you fail to realize. For starters, I can;t work on my Cadillac engine half as often as I would like. As the photos and the build thread clearly seem to indicate, it is in Florida, specifically Groveland. This would be fantastic, if I did not live in Nevada for half the year and spend the rest travelling. I am currently in Virginia. Tomorrow morning we leave for Memphis and from there I am taking a plane to McCarran Center while my other driver brings the truck back to Atlanta. Since the engine is in Groveland (As is the Cadillac) one may see how this may be difficult.

As per the transmission, it's great that you claim it is impossible, but if you actually opened the link to the Pontiac Forum in my original post you'd see a few things. To begin with, he had SEVEN ******* people working on that project. He had all his supplies beforehand (Which was basically in the first sentence of his post, as well as in my own post here) and what's better is you think I was involved? He lives in Colorado. I have only been to Colorado once in the last year, it was for about an hour-and-a-half and I didn't even see him while I was there. Again, I think you may need to help yourself to a map, because just as it is hard to work on an engine in Florida from 2,000 miles away, it is hard to swap a Transmission in Colorado when you are in Nevada. Remember, the map is to scale, not life-size, there are more than a few inches between the states. How you thought that I was talking about myself is beyond me, because unless I was speaking in third-person and calling myself "Ron" it was fairly obvious I meant someone else. Not to mention that (Though you may have missed the threads here it is pictured in) my car is not only a year younger than his (Being a 1967) but is a Coupe. Just in case you do not know what that means, let me add my profile photo from Facebook.

This was taken at the first car show I took it to, after it was finished, shortly after my Father's passing (Full thread to my build was included on the same Forum, but I did not link it, as I had thus far mentioned nothing about it) Keep in mind that no photos of this car were posted in my original post, so I am not sure where your confusion came from.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/g1.jpg?t=1329001729

This is Ron's Pontiac, taken from the Forum (And his Facebook photo today, Ironically). It's a really old photo and I know it was from long before his transmission conversion, but just look at it. While it is an amazingly badass car already, he has since underwent quite a lot of modification on it and was really helpful on info when I swapped my trans over. I think the photo speaks for itself and I don't think I need to rattle off the obvious differences between the two cars, but even without photos, you'd have to be braindead to somehow confuse a '68 Pontiac Consort with a '67 Pontiac GTO.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/rd.jpg?t=1335041645

If you REALLY want to see how it runs, there are plenty of videos of it on Youtube.

As for Lupin, he has (in some form or another) seen all of my vehicles (With obvious exclusion to the work truck and the '72) at some point and having spoken with him on Facebook, I can see why he has shown hostility towards me on the Forum (Bad timing in two threads I have posted in, given personal life situations of his at the moment, but I see no need to repeat the precise details he told me out of respect)

Why the **** YOU (Drewsdeville) chose to involve yourself though, especially since you couldn't keep your facts straight (Again, it's a Consort, Douchebag. They're uncommon and I don't own one) is completely beyond me. Did you just scroll through the photos and not read any of the words?

My apologies for bumping this again, I have been working (again Drew, if you ever need a real job, just ask) and am currently in Virginia, using a someone else's computer. I don't care for getting the last word, I just don't think someone should misrepresent me in such a way as you have.

orconn
04-21-12, 05:19 PM
What the hell is a Pontiac Consort?

The-Dullahan
04-21-12, 05:35 PM
Sorry, I just wrote that a bit funny. Pontiac Consort Hearse. Consort is a company that was owned by Superior and made smaller, cheaper Hearses out of Pontiacs (Akin to MM's Cotner-Bevington division, which used Olds 98's) which are really not very common or easy to find. They were more popular as ambulances though, because they were cheaper (Ambulances do not need to be flashy) and the CB's and Consorts both had a tendency to be faster than the vastly larger Cadillac chassis. I think they're cool to look at.

Stingroo
04-21-12, 06:00 PM
I still really really REALLY lust after a Cotner-Bevington Olds.

orconn
04-21-12, 06:13 PM
The only time I've ever seen Pontiac or Olds ambulances/hearses was when the government was picking up bodies at Andrews AFB. I believe President Kennedy's body was initially transported from Andrews to Bethesda Naval Hospital in a gray early sixties Pontiac ambulance/hearse.

Lupin
04-21-12, 09:40 PM
You guys are no help I ended up buying a Corvair. Most of those came with manuals, I got one with a four speed. I chose it because it has the Cadillac qualities I like: massive, comfortable, and big V8 engine.

orconn
04-21-12, 11:19 PM
Lupin, I dare say you are full of shite! Everyone knows Corvairs only come with V-12's and a 5 speed>

drewsdeville
04-22-12, 02:53 AM
That's a cool story and I am so proud that you install AC for a Living. If you ever want a real job, I can hire you.

In response to your last idiotic message, there are a few key points you fail to realize. For starters, I can;t work on my Cadillac engine half as often as I would like. As the photos and the build thread clearly seem to indicate, it is in Florida, specifically Groveland. This would be fantastic, if I did not live in Nevada for half the year and spend the rest travelling. I am currently in Virginia. Tomorrow morning we leave for Memphis and from there I am taking a plane to McCarran Center while my other driver brings the truck back to Atlanta. Since the engine is in Groveland (As is the Cadillac) one may see how this may be difficult.

As per the transmission, it's great that you claim it is impossible, but if you actually opened the link to the Pontiac Forum in my original post you'd see a few things. To begin with, he had SEVEN ******* people working on that project. He had all his supplies beforehand (Which was basically in the first sentence of his post, as well as in my own post here) and what's better is you think I was involved? He lives in Colorado. I have only been to Colorado once in the last year, it was for about an hour-and-a-half and I didn't even see him while I was there. Again, I think you may need to help yourself to a map, because just as it is hard to work on an engine in Florida from 2,000 miles away, it is hard to swap a Transmission in Colorado when you are in Nevada. Remember, the map is to scale, not life-size, there are more than a few inches between the states. How you thought that I was talking about myself is beyond me, because unless I was speaking in third-person and calling myself "Ron" it was fairly obvious I meant someone else. Not to mention that (Though you may have missed the threads here it is pictured in) my car is not only a year younger than his (Being a 1967) but is a Coupe. Just in case you do not know what that means, let me add my profile photo from Facebook.

This was taken at the first car show I took it to, after it was finished, shortly after my Father's passing (Full thread to my build was included on the same Forum, but I did not link it, as I had thus far mentioned nothing about it) Keep in mind that no photos of this car were posted in my original post, so I am not sure where your confusion came from.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/g1.jpg?t=1329001729

This is Ron's Pontiac, taken from the Forum (And his Facebook photo today, Ironically). It's a really old photo and I know it was from long before his transmission conversion, but just look at it. While it is an amazingly badass car already, he has since underwent quite a lot of modification on it and was really helpful on info when I swapped my trans over. I think the photo speaks for itself and I don't think I need to rattle off the obvious differences between the two cars, but even without photos, you'd have to be braindead to somehow confuse a '68 Pontiac Consort with a '67 Pontiac GTO.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/rd.jpg?t=1335041645

If you REALLY want to see how it runs, there are plenty of videos of it on Youtube.

As for Lupin, he has (in some form or another) seen all of my vehicles (With obvious exclusion to the work truck and the '72) at some point and having spoken with him on Facebook, I can see why he has shown hostility towards me on the Forum (Bad timing in two threads I have posted in, given personal life situations of his at the moment, but I see no need to repeat the precise details he told me out of respect)

Why the **** YOU (Drewsdeville) chose to involve yourself though, especially since you couldn't keep your facts straight (Again, it's a Consort, Douchebag. They're uncommon and I don't own one) is completely beyond me. Did you just scroll through the photos and not read any of the words?

My apologies for bumping this again, I have been working (again Drew, if you ever need a real job, just ask) and am currently in Virginia, using a someone else's computer. I don't care for getting the last word, I just don't think someone should misrepresent me in such a way as you have.

This looks like a lot of wasted effort, bro. Everyone, including myself, has probably drawn their own conclusions by now. It's over, let it go. It'll be ok - it's just teh internetz.

http://maddensresort.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/fishing.jpg

The-Dullahan
04-22-12, 03:29 AM
I still really really REALLY lust after a Cotner-Bevington Olds.

You would, as they are just converted wagons.

A friend of mine has a big metallic Purple one. It's the most absurd colour in the world, but somehow looks REALLY nice. I'd like to get a '67 CB one day, because that is one of the coolest-looking front ends Olds ever made (In my opinion). There was a guy on Craigslist with one a few years ago, selling it for the engine, but the ad disappeared before I could get in touch with him. My friend Zach also has a '64 that he bought really cheap from a superstitious woman who won it in a contest and was desperate to get rid of it. About a year ago, there was another '64 CB online (In his area, no less) that I emailed him about, but he never got to go look at it. I am pretty sure it sold.

----------

This looks like a lot of wasted effort, bro. Everyone, including myself, has probably drawn their own conclusions by now. It's over, let it go. It'll be ok - it's just teh internetz.

You could always do yourself a favour, since you're randomly stalking my posts anyhow and just go back to the older threads with photos of the cars I have.: I really don't think this thread needs photos of my Expedition or Lincoln or benefits in any way from either...but you'd probably just conclude that the cars never existed and were just some sort of incredibly well done photoshop, because I think you disagree with me, just for the sake of trying to argue. Have fun with that :bigroll:

Likewise, you can always check out Ron's car for yourself online. Someplace I have some photos of his finished engine and trans swap as well, if you really have some sort of rule against going to another Forum.

brandondeleo
04-22-12, 04:31 AM
You would have to be a little ... medicated ... to confuse a GTO with a Consort. I'll give you that. It's just as easy for everyone to push your buttons as they do mine. :histeric:

The-Dullahan
04-22-12, 08:22 AM
Well, I Can't speak for all Hearse owners, but many of them take personal insult at little things (Like calling it a "Hearst*") or not knowing the obvious difference between say, a '65 and an '05 Hearse (As many people will think they are "Just alike" in spite of obvious contemporary differences) or even simply not being able to identify a Hearse as a Cadillac/Lincoln/whatever else it may be. Couple that with the fact I take antiques (Mine or another's) particularly seriously and when I post a bunch of photos of what can clearly be only a '68 Pontiac Hearse (And take the time to explain what it is) and somehow, Drew confuses it with my '67, which happens to be a Coupe...this is an astonishing feat beyond all reason. I think he does these things to get a rise out of others, as I am still having a hard time believing that he could make such a mistake, in spite of his novice experience in such fields.

* Hearst however is a legitimate term for a white Cotner-Bevington with gold stripes and a lightning rod shifter. Sting, when are we building this?

brandondeleo
04-22-12, 08:32 AM
HOW RELEVANT

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hearse-offroad.jpg

drewsdeville
04-22-12, 10:34 AM
You could always do yourself a favour, since you're randomly stalking my posts anyhow and just go back to the older threads with photos of the cars I have.: I really don't think this thread needs photos of my Expedition or Lincoln or benefits in any way from either...but you'd probably just conclude that the cars never existed and were just some sort of incredibly well done photoshop, because I think you disagree with me, just for the sake of trying to argue. Have fun with that :bigroll:

Likewise, you can always check out Ron's car for yourself online. Someplace I have some photos of his finished engine and trans swap as well, if you really have some sort of rule against going to another Forum.

Still going in the wrong direction, and I'm not even dangling anymore bait? Butthurt?

Interesting how, after a little trolling, you subconsciously twisted this thread into defending/proving a bunch of your personal belongings (and those of some Ron guy) to a stranger on the internet:confused: What's the motivation? A little naive are we?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-22-12, 12:33 PM
This thread is done.