: Where does my '79 fit in?

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 01:43 AM
I am sure by now, everyone knows all my cars... check the sig if ya don't :)

I always have mixed feelings with this car.... I got it for a steal... a compelte steal, classic old lday, Florida car, I have all origanal paperwork etc... car is in amazing shape... when I bought it, I did a very basic tune up... didn't *need* it, but what the hell.... obviosly the 425 dosn't have the power it should due to emmisons and such... the enigne is a strong runner, relaible to no end and great... I do not have any problem with the whole car either, the guy I bought it form recently replaced the brake master cylinder and it has a brand new headliner, in fact here is the list of what is "wrong" with the car:

-needs alignment (drift soff to the right)
-needs tires
-carb could use a rebuild (acts funny when enigne is cold)
-wiper washer pump dosn't work
-power antenna stuck up
-AC dosn't work (I was told there is a leak at the compressor)
-cruise control needs to be looked at, when you turn it on and hit "set" it will slwoly put the pedal to the floor... not exactly stay a the correct speed :)
-some light rust on back driver side door needs to be fixed... looks like paint was chipped or something at one time, and was never fixed up, then rusted.... not rust from salt and stuff....

then the interrior has a few issues... dash is cracked, the cheap fake contact paper wood stuff on the door handles is peeling.... and I may need to tighten one of the bolts to the driver seat, when I go aorund turns, I can feel the back left mount moving around a little....

that is pretty much it.... more then half that stuff just dosn't bother me, or isn't a factor... I do want to get an alignment done and the little area of rust patched up... the underbody of the car is very clean (normal surface rust on frame etc...) tranny is great too... oh, and the vinyl roof has a few rips that I would like to get patched up....

.... this stuff isn't exactly the things normally wrong with a 25 year old, 86k, $300 car....

... I have classic car insurance thru State Farm.. $90/year.. they only allow 2k/yr though (when I turn 18 I am going with Hagerty...unlimited millage)

The thing is, storage space... right now, it isn't a problem... but in the next couple of years, we will be moving... and then it will be... the '93 is never, ever leaving my possission, the Olds.... if we do move (Florda) will have to get sold... it is a great car, it really is... but just not worth taking with me....

but since i bought the NorthStar as a project, this Spring I would like to pickup a '94/'95 Eldo and put the enigne in, and then take the '93 off the road and put her away for a while (swap thos eplates on the Eldo) As long as I live in NY, or any area with snow, I will have a winter car, which for now is my Olds... but the Olds is also a great daily driver (nice power, great on gas) and door dings just add charactor, I don't care about getting it dirty etc...

that kinda leaves the '79 as the odd-ball.... it is not old enough to be a classic... and being that it looks like the 80's Brougham alot, to some it dosn't appear to be very old... although whever I go anywhere with it, there is always atleast 1 person stopping me to say how nice of a car it is...

I wanted to hot-rod the 425 out... but the N* is my priority right now.... so the power on it will stay for now... but I do love the full frame, RWD car... just a different driving experience... besides the lackluster performance (well, in todays world) there is absolutly nothing wrong witht he engine/drivetrain at all...

So what does everyone think I should do..... there is so much going for this car, and i really like it... *some day* it will truely be a classic... that day, IMO is far though... I could probably get $2500 or even $3k for it.. which would cover an expense of the newer Eldo I want... but at the same time, I just don't want to sell it... it *isn't* a daily driver... for the week and a half I used it as a dialy driver eariler this year, it killed me on gas... but it is a great weekend cruiser, car shows etc...

It is just that I can't have 4 cars.... if we move, and I sell the Olds... that is different...

It really isn't a big decsion.... I just think about it often... everytime I look at the car, or dive it... I change my mind on any plans of selling it etc...

AFA orignal paper work, I have the vinyl Cadillac case, in that is the origanal owners manual and warrantee information, along with the origanal window sticker, the recipt for the undercoating that was done when the car had 700miles on it, a recipt from '84 when the car had 31k, oil change, repack front bearings, tranny fluid change, tranny fluid leak fixed, AC serviced, belts tightened (may have been a few other things, I don't remember) then another recipt for '91 the car had 51k and got a new radiator, then some various paper work from '95 showing that it passed FL. emmisson tesintg (actually, it did pretty good) and some registration things... then like I siad, the guy I bought it from replaced the master cylinder and just got a brand new headliner in (said that alone was $150... and it is new)

What is everybodys opinion on this? what woudl you do if you were me?

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=357287

Ralph
10-03-04, 01:51 AM
I couldn't begin to tell you what to do however, from all the car mags I've read, technically 25 years is considered a "Classic." (as a general rule of thumb) One would think that if a car is in good shape, values might even go up because of this.

If you only paid 300 bucks you got a great deal!! That's what I paid for a 1970 Plymouth Fury in 1984, and it wasn't even close to a Cadillac! (except the size) :)

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 02:26 AM
well, technically it is considered a classic, I have classic car insurance on it too...

... but it dosn't shout "look, it's a classic" when they were restyled in '77, the style wasn't changed much at all form '77-'92... If somebody has... say a '68 DeVille... or even a '75, it is unmistakbly classic... the '79... unless someone has general knowladge about cars, they may think it is just an old car form the 80's.... That is antoehr thing... I really like the '68 style, and the '75... the '79 isn't my "choice" of car, I just got a crazy deal on it... although I will say, the interrior on the '79 is better then the '68 or the '75 :)

Can you imagine this car was for sale in the *parts cars* section of ebay? heh....

Ralph
10-03-04, 02:33 AM
well, technically it is considered a classic, I have classic car insurance on it too...

... but it dosn't shout "look, it's a classic" when they were restyled in '77, the style wasn't changed much at all form '77-'92... If somebody has... say a '68 DeVille... or even a '75, it is unmistakbly classic... the '79... unless someone has general knowladge about cars, they may think it is just an old car form the 80's.... That is antoehr thing... I really like the '68 style, and the '75... the '79 isn't my "choice" of car, I just got a crazy deal on it... although I will say, the interrior on the '79 is better then the '68 or the '75 :)

Can you imagine this car was for sale in the *parts cars* section of ebay? heh....
Personally speaking if I were you Rick, I wouldn't have bothered with the Northstar engine. I probably would have put my extra money into the '79 because I would LOVE a nice older RWD because nothing comes close to that floaty ride and classic look. With all these different cars you will need a place to put them, and it may not be practical if you guys are moving?

Ever since I saw what WC customs did to the girls 1978 Broughm, I'm thinking that could be YOUR '79, but not in pink. :yup: You have the ultimate pimp car if done up tastefully.

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 02:51 AM
eh, there was only a FEW things I liked on that '78.... I would spend the money doing many other things....

... the next thing i am doing on the '79 is cleanign up the enigne bay... in FL there is alot of salt air, and alot of things under the hood have surface rust... nice looking car, pop the hood... not pretty anymore.. I already cleaned up the air cleaner assembly... looks far better then it did...next I want to do the support bars, then the radiator covering etc...

the only plans I had with this car fo rmodding was, first, doing a crazy build on a 500, and putting it in... that wasn't going to work out.. moslty for family-related issues... so then I decided to do some lights mods to the 425 (cam, intake manifold, open up the exhuast etc...) and I was going to... but then I got the N*

I guess I am just a sucker for a good deal... that is the reason why I bought the '79 and that is why I bought the N*.... atleast with the N*, I can wrap it up and store it away somewhere and come back to it at another time....

as far as looks on the car... I did put the real spoked wheels on it... if I ever did anything else, it would be a new paint job (somethign better then canary yellow) but the paint is 90% flawless... I can't see runing it... and then the vinyl top would have to be changed too...

I do want to get the alignemnt done... the coolant looks ugly, so I may do that one day coming up that is nice outside, the tires were on these wheels, which came with my mothers car and that car came from FL too (they didn't like how they woudl get dirty from brake dust too quick) the back tires are worn, the front have slightly more tread life left... I may jack the car upa nd just switch them... I need to stop laying rubber... I suppose some cheap $50/apiece tires with a white wall would be fine to throw on it, atleast i would have some tread.... not like i am racing the car or going to be carving the corners etc...

Here is what I did when I first got it as far as the engine goes:

oil and filter change
new air filter
new fuel filter
new spark plugs (didn't change cap/rotor or wires)

I think that is about it... the air filter was dirty, the fuel filter was collapsed and the spark plugs were old... the engine ran smoother with the new plugs though (cheap regular AC Delco too)

The biggest thing with the N*.... this winter when I am bored at night, or on the weekends, and have ntohign to do... I will owrk ont he N*.... I have helped my father rebuild engines before... this really intrests me, and it is a challege I gave to myself... if it works out, I may be able to get a sweet car with a new enigne out of it...

If I do decide to go to Florida... I would enjoy that alot... first, I love to drive... alot... so I would drive the '93 down... it woudl go back home since we drove it up from FL. last year... for $70 I would fly back to NY, then hit the highway witht he '79.... THAT is going to be fun, and hoenslty, I really look forward to that... I just love to drive.... then I woudl fly back up and drive the Eldo back... if I don't get the Eldo, and my Oldsmobile has been such a great car still... I *may* decide to keep it... and drive that down... I love driving, I love the open road.... and I would love to take US-1 down to FL.... it woudl take a while, but it follows the coast all the way down, going through small towns and everything.... as of right now, I woudl trust any of my 3 cars to go anywhere I want... all of them are very reliable...

Ralph
10-03-04, 03:02 AM
That does sound cool! What year Eldo would you look for. I kind of like the smaller 1991's and the styling is nice. They would move good because they are probably lighter than the mid-late '90's Eldos.

For your car I'm thinking wires with knock-offs, bright red paint with white vinly or leather interior. :D That or a plum crazy purple (or lighter) so that you can buy the purple felt pimp hat complete with feather in the band. Seriously, with a car like that the possibilities are endless!!

majax
10-03-04, 05:19 AM
Ralph, dont make me ralph up chunks :puke:

Why dont you sell the oldsmobile and use that money to fix the d'Elegance. Then take both Cadillacs with you to Flordia. As for the Northstar finish fixing it up and then sell it to someone for a good price. You can probably tow your '93 to Flordia with the '79 and (;)maybe even the Northstar in the trunk). If I remember right there was a trailer hitch on the back of my dads long gone '77 CoupedeVille.

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 10:25 AM
I narrowd the Eldo down to 1993 or 1994... Touring Coupe too... with a bad enigne.... no 4.x Eldo would be faster then a newer, more ehavy NorthStar powered Eldo :)

I am not one for the pimp thing... those spoked wheels are barly cutting it... they do look nice... but I don't want the wrong image... plus the car came with mis-matched badly worn tires on steelies... if I ever was to spend money into this, it woudl be to hot-rod the engine... then gears and stuff.... although if I do not decide to modify it for performance (and do the NorthStar swap in the Eldo) I think chroming out the enigne bay would be nice... sure it woudln't be fast, but it would look good :)

As long as I live in a snowy winter area, I am not selling the Olds.... if we move to an area with no snow... like Florida, then I will not need the Olds... for the few trips I make to the junkyard or anything else dirty, I will just have to live with it too...

I thought about building the NorthStar and selling it... I could probably get a pretty penny too... but honestly.... who is going to buy a rebuilt engine from a 17 year old? especially one as comeplx as the NorthStar... it woudl be my first build up etc... I know I sure wouldn't.... which is why I think i would hardly get anything for it... if able to sell it at all...

I never thought about getting a hitch and renting a dolly or something... the '79 would tow with no problem, rated from the factory to tow 5,000lbs... my '93 is well below that... and my father used to use his '79 Coupe DeVille to tow the boat... with everything, it was over 5k lbs... but that woudl kinda spoil the fun of driving down twice... woudln't it? :)

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 10:33 AM
hmmm, I guess another thing is... what I really wanted (without getting real classic) was a '75 or a '76 Fleetwood Coupe... I really like the body style.. the fac ti is so big and heavy, the 500 etc... althought he interrior could have been better IMO... but then I got the deal on the '79.... it is kind of a love/hate thing.... I really like the car, but at the same time it isn't what I *really* wanted.... but I do really enjoy it... When I was thinking about the '75 vs '79, the only thing I could come up with is, better interrior and slightly better gas millage (which on the weekend car, I don't care about)... I really like the nose of the car, but from the side, the '80's style look better IMO (more sharp edges) and the 425, while powerful... should be making more power for the gas it consums... in good tune, the 307 in the late 80's would bring 16/25... granted there is an OD tranny...

Maybe I am just trying to tell myself I don't like the car, when in fact I really do... this morning (about an hour ago) when I got back, I took the '79 for a quick spin... maybe 15min... it *is* a very comfortable car, and great to cruise in... I also remember about the exhaust leak (coming form the left manifold) which I now over look... I don't know if it is a bad gasket, or the manifold is cracked... maybe I will get around to looking at it someday...

What makes the 1977-1979 DeVille stand out, or appeal to you (anybody)... or what makes this generation "better" then the previous (if any.... and it is subjective)?

tru504187211
10-03-04, 11:52 AM
Personally, I could never give that car up for a newer one, Eldo or no Eldo. Many car enthusiasts know what it is and would never ever mistake it for a mid 80's generic GM RWD car... DON'T GIVE IT UP!!, unless its to me. :histeric:

Any word on your extra steering column housing cover?

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 04:04 PM
oh yeah... that was you... I remember that question about that cover a long time ago.. I wanted to reply, but never found the thread... sure enough, it was laying in my Olds... it is red though (when I got the car, there was no cover on it... yet there was 1 under each seat?!?) If you are still interested in it, send me an IM... I have AIM, my screen name is InoventionsEast.... I can send it your way....

yeah, I decided to keep the car... I;ll work out the few bugs it has and just enjoy driving it...

majax
10-03-04, 06:27 PM
What color is the '79. I didn't get to look at the pictures I'm not registered with that site. I would feel pretty cool about towing a cadillac with another cadillac goin down the highway. It wont spoil the trip, cause when you stop for gas tons of people will come up to you probably and gawk or make funny little coments.

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 11:34 PM
Didn't realize you had to be registered.... sorry....

color is Canary Yellow... not my favorite, has a matching padded vinyl roof, which I would like to fix some of the small rips in....

Ralph
10-03-04, 11:46 PM
That looks awsome Rick! On second thought I wouldn't touch the paint. The spokes look great. Normally I don't like yellow because it seems too bright on some cars, but yours is lighter and is kind of unique because I've never seen another yellow Caddy!

Cool pic with the taillight reflection of the '93. :thumbsup:

Also, shouldn't there be a wreath surrounding the shield on the hood ornament?

DaveSmed
10-03-04, 11:51 PM
Also, shouldn't there be a wreath surrounding the shield on the hood ornament?

Nope, its not a Fleetwood. I second the sentiment of the pic with the reflection, thats pretty cool.

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 11:53 PM
those pics were taken right after I compounded the apint (which helped ALOT) although I should have used the polishing compound instead... so I'll do it again in hope of getting an even better shine... it is Enamel paint, and this color dosn't reflect much... I will admit, when I first got the car, I hated the color.. it grew on me though... may I actually go as far as saying i don't mind it?

The d'Elegance seats sure are nice though... I have never sat in a car as comfortable as this... the back seat is even more comfortable then the front too...

All these pics, with the exception of the last were brightened a little... so the color may be off.... red is one of my least liked colors... but the interrior in my Olds is burgendy... or "Garnet Red" so I grew to like it alot... then with the '79... I really do like that color... IMO it is better then half the other colors in the 70's... kinda one of those colors that dosn't get old...

The origanal floor mats are in good shape with the exception of the drivers one, which is ripped... maybe it coudl be fixed? I didn't want to futher ruin them, so I bought a chepa set of red floor mats at Auto Zone for $15... the red dosn't exactly match, and they aren't the best size (a little too small) but, better then ruing the carpet, or orignaal floor mats... the origanal fllor mats are not in their new home.... in the trunk... right next to the North Star...

When I bought the car, it came with that steering wheel cover, which I took off... the guy said the steering wheel was cracked... it was just 1 small crack on the bottom where the center piece joins the rim...

this car isn't "fully loaded" but between the standard features, and the options it does have (listed out on window sticker) it is loaded nice.... 2 options this dosn't have that I both like, and thought were standard, are twlight sentinal and rear levling suspension...

I bought it with 84,220 miles.

The pics that were taken at night, was the night I got the car at my house...

Another neat thing with this car, the front seats are 50/50.. not 60/40, and each seat has it's own arm rest, so even when the arm rests are down... there is no opening in the seat... I thought that was neat...

Ralph
10-03-04, 11:57 PM
Nope, its not a Fleetwood.

You're kidding :hmm: I thought the Cadillac crest or symbol was generally the same for all Cadillacs from 1966-2000 for that era. The closest thing to Ricks would be the 1952 symbol but without a "V" under it.

The later Devilles like the C body had only one Cadillac symbol, shared with the Fleetwoods?

Ralph
10-04-04, 12:03 AM
Dang Rick, I'm tempted to trade you even-up!! Except the seats look too comfy and mushy for my bad back LOL! I need firm hard seats!

What is in the silver and red box? I'm guessing an 8-track?

Also, I see you got the original option sheet, what was the sticker price on it?

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:13 AM
you never saw a Caddy with this yellow?!? it is very poplar.. and shouts "look at me, I am an old person"

there is no wreath..... becuase the wreath wasn't out in 1979 :) I have the old school V.... there is the V on the steering wheel, as well as on the trunk... no where on this car is there a wreath... I would like to get a newer hood ornamnet with a wreath though....

...oh another neat thing, instead of the high beam indicator being a little light like on every other car I have seen, it is the outline of the Cadillac Crest that lights lights up when the high beams are on... pretty cool...

Here is the history on the car....

I wanted an '80's Brougham or a 70's DeVille... do an engine swap... the 500 actually...

I wanted to find a car in nice shape with a bad enigne (usualy it is the other way around) So I was looking on ebay... in the parts car section none the less... this had a title of something like "Cadillac DeVille deelegance, bad motor" I actually skipped over it... 3 times (on purpose) until finally clicking it... the auction was going for $300, it was up for 7 days, ending that night, there was 6 crappy pics (like they were taken buy the worst camera ever put on a cell phone) but I got a general idea of the car (colors, no moajor body damage or rust I could see) I read thru the description and stuff, the guy said the engine was knocking, and it was a parts car...

after the auction ended, 2 days later (it was saved in my ebay) I look at it again, excpet this time realize the location (which I thought was in the mid-west somewhere... although the pics were tkaen with snow on the ground)... but the town the guy lived in rang a bell, then I realized, it is only an hour from me...

So I e-mailed him a few times got more information... then finally set up a date to look at the car, we go there, sure enough it is knocking... but for $300, I didn't care, so the guy said he wants $300 for it... I didn't even bother to haggle at all (actually kinda felt bad) so I left a $100 deposit. I remember someone saying something about using 10W-40 in the 425 and causing lifter starvation, and getting a knock... the guy said he recently did an oil change... i asked what weight oil he used... he said 10W-40... so when we took it for a quick test drive (he lives on a dead end street, it was night time) I mentioend that to my father... but he said the car also sat for 5 months, and my father said someitmes the big block Cad's would get a stiff wrist pin and cause piston slap (as what happens on the '71 Fleetwood limo when it sits) and that it may just need to be driven...

so 3 days later, we get a delaer plate and my father and I drive there in my car, he is driving the '79 back... it was out of gas... but we made it 3 miles to the gas station and put $15 in... that brought it to 1/4 tank, lol (welll, maybe a little more) but I noticed something else.... the engine was quiet... well, it had a slight exhaust leak... but no more knocking or antyhing... I was very happy... and it was like that the whole way home... we stopped about 10min form home and switched off cars, so I go to drive the '79 a little....

the guy said it was his friends fathers car, he bought it new and lived in FL. (although all paper work is in a womens name... maybe the wife?) the guy passed away, and the son didn't want the car, so the guy bought it and drove it for a couple years... then he got another car (well, he had a huge house, an Esclade and a Denali, and a really nice, new speed boat) and said he dosn't want the car anymore, and just tired of seeing it there... and now I have it...

There were some other things, and information, but really isn't worth typing out as it dosn't have much to do witht he car.... for the most part... over 22 years, this was a 1 owner car... I am technically the 3rd owner... may as well be the second though... it appears this car was always babbied and taken care of though...

I can see all the plugs where the rust proofing was done, and by now it is all peeling away... looks like crap actually, but hey, it helped preserve the car, so no loss to me...

Something else that is neat, on the bottom of the door jamb of the 2 front doors, on the chrome plate, it says "Body by FIsher, Interrior by Fleetwood"

with all the options and destination, the car was about $13,700 in '79... beliee it or not, the d'Elegance option was $800.... that is alot for the upgraded seats and what not...

DaveSmed
10-04-04, 12:14 AM
The Fleetwoods traditionally were the only cars to get the wreath around the crest. All other cars like Devilles used the Vee, or a plain crest. I see the '79 has it in the steering wheel, but a lot of older cars only had two emblems with the vee, front and back (like mine). All my hubcaps, steering wheel, reading lamps, and other misc. emblems all are just the crest. The Fleetwoods had the wreath on almost, if not every emblem.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/84/7e/de_12_s.JPG << Fleetwood steering wheel
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i10/03/a/02/64/bb/e9_4.JPG << Not a Fleetwood

Both from 1968.

Btw, found this while looking on ebay... I really like the way this accents the body lines.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6146&item=2492657439&rd=1

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:19 AM
yeah, that is the origanal 8-track tape used to show off, at the time, the state of the art sound system... in fact, it is still in the origanal shrink wrap :)

I havn't tried the tape deck though... AM/FM works nice, although it dons't have signal strength like newer radios... it is simple control... there is a tone control (bass OR trebel... not both) a fader (no balance) volume/power and tuning, am/fm selector and a little switch to go from local or distance, so when you use scan or seek, it will pick up stations with a worse signal strength (I just leave it on local) and also you can push in the volume knob to show the station (normally has a clock) and I assume to change tracks if a tape was in it...

Like I said, no wreath....but the V is cool... kind of a throw back to the 50's.... this is an old pic also...

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:23 AM
Well, that is interesting... I never knew that about the wreath before.... nice...

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:25 AM
hmm, something i thoguht of just now.... is there any connection between Cadillac's performance divsion... V (CTS-V) and the class V under the crest?

Kinda wierd... Cadillac is known for the V, and then for any letter, they chose V for the new models.... in that case, I think that is kinda neat...

... I hav a Sedan DeVille-V.... the masses don't know about it though :)

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2491928143&category=6152

Heh, '79 Fleetwood... you are right about the hood ornament... but look at the steering wheel....

damint all this talk about classic Cadillacs makes me never want to get rid of mine :D

Ralph
10-04-04, 12:31 AM
Dave, I don't think I like that custom Caddy, although for a custom I suppose it's ok.

I'm trying to figure out what $11,500 would be in CDN. back then. I know that I was with my Mom when she bought a new Pontiac Phoenix coupe in 1980 and it was $8,500. On the lot that day I remember a 1980 Black Trans Am stickered for 18,000 (tried to talk my Mom into that one LOL!) So I'm guessing that Caddy would me around $22-25,000 our pricing because there was a bad recession that year with 18% interest rates from the Canadian banks.

I still have some 8 track tapes but whenever I visit the parents and try one out, they are so old and brittle they just shatter!

Ralph
10-04-04, 12:37 AM
... I hav a Sedan DeVille-V.... the masses don't know about it though :)

LOL!!

You mentioned Florida, but it was delivered to Baltimore Maryland? Why would they ship it all the way to Florida if it didn't sell in Maryland?

Night Wolf
10-04-04, 12:41 AM
the lady bought it in Maryland, and drove it to Florida, where she lived, and where the car styaed until the late '90's.... why? I dunno...

DaveSmed
10-04-04, 12:54 AM
Commercial chassis vehicles are oddballs. They had a mix of different parts. check out this '77 Fleetwood 75. (try to ignore the color...) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6152&item=2492744161&rd=1

Its hard to see, but look at the lights on the doors.... Wreaths....

brougham
10-04-04, 01:28 PM
I like that yellow colour on it. It looks strange with a red interior tho. It would look better if it actually matched the car.

Night Wolf
10-05-04, 12:10 AM
It is a wierd color combo... but I like it alot.... man I would hate to have a yellow interrior...ugh....

...honeslty, besides Neutral Shale (as in the '93) grey, white, black and maybe blue... I like the "garnet red" alot...

My olds is silver, and has a Garnet red interrior... that blends nice too...

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 12:47 AM
I took the '79 for a quick drive tonight... well, I took it to work (about 6minutes away) and then coming back I drove thru town, so it took a little longer....

... I really gotta say, despite it's short comings (which I seem to only know/realize then... and they only bother me) it is just a great car.... perhasp the worst part right now is the NorthStar block moving around itn eh trunk... it is resting ont he bolts used to connect the oil pan, but will rock when I accelerate or slow down... so when I come to a stop, the whole car will shudder for a little bit.. at firs ti htought the enigne was skipping or something, but I then relaized it was the engine... the botls also tore up the orignal black flet material lining the trunk... eh... it was dirty and not very nice anyway, maybe next year I'll tear it out and get creative to make the trunk look nice....

I was thinking about the '75 and my '79.... I came up with the fact that my car is newer, more were made, and the interrior didn't change itn he 80's... getting parts for my car in the future will be very easy... within 10miles of my house there are 3 '77-'79 DeVilles for sale that i saw just from dirivng on the road (they were beat and in crappy condition... but still good for parts) and i also like the interrior on my car (damn 85mph speedo).... but while I do like the increased size and weight of the previous gen... I realized that my fuel millage would just be more pathetic then it is now, and, despite the bigger enigne... performance and acceleration would not be as good... so it evens out....

... most of the things that need to be fixed with the ;79 are generic 70's/'80's car repair stuff... things that woudl cost little or no money and just time... witht he winter rlling in... there is no more time, but hopefully come Spring, with me being away form the car and not driving it all winter, I'll want to jump start into her....

I am glad I realzied all this now, instead of after selling it, then thinking... what did I just do? while the general quality of cars durring this time wasn't very good... the car is still solid, and I do enjoy it alot... with incresing gas prices, it will be more expensive to run, but maintenace costs are next to nothing also.... plus it is just a weekend/sunny day car....

As far as appearance.. adn the biggest thign that bugs me witht he car, is the door... the way the paint is chiped and rust, it looks like maybe the car was hit at one time? I dunno...

can this be patched by me (I have done quick, cheap and not very good looking body repaies on my Olds... mostly becuase I don't care how the outside of that car look...) or shoudl I bring this to a shop? Also, if i bring it to a shop... how much might they charge to fix it, paint it and blend it with the surronding area? there is also a small line of somethign like this on the bottom of the door.... ugh... it just looks soo bad...

Ralph
10-06-04, 12:52 AM
Are you going to hand sand or disc grind those bad surface rust areas? I would tend to it before winter, but then you are moving to paradise. :thumbsup:

Wow! The first Caddy with 2 engines! A N* and a big block, dang, you must be pushing 550 hp? :p How much rear-end sag you got?

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 01:42 AM
Well, I don;t know id I am going to even be able to do it myself...

...the thing is, I want it to look good... I don't think I could do a nice match, and prep everything correctly... I fixed rust/rot on my Oldmsobile... pretty? no... but far better then the car rusting out on me....

I had a sanding block as well as a little thing that goes on my cordless drill and there are stick on sand paper for it....

... the car is getting stored away for winter, and will not even be driven at all... maybe a couple times to keep everything free... but not in any bad weather or anything... that was the orignal purpose of the Oldsmobile...

I think this was the first Caddy with two enignes:

http://www.supercars.net/garages/groupb/1v2.html

and atleast 1 isn't in a million pieces and the other makes a little more then 26hp/liter :)

Here is the biggest thing with my Olds, behind the right rear wheel it was actually rotted... I drove it all winter though, then finally fixed it over the summer.. also realized behind the trim is rotted, which I fixed, but I just need to patch a hole now...

it was rotted out on the bottom, I could fit about 3 fingers in it, it wasn't directly into the trunk, but behind the hweel well... basically it wasn't a bad area for it to happen.. but I don't like rust or rot... the other side had rust, which I fixed, no rot... I usesd Rustolium Aluminam paint to finsih it.. that is why it dosn't match the best... although from a distance, it looks fine, and I am happy with it.... actually, I used the Rustolium on the hood, roof and trunk of the car too :)

Like I siad though, my wrok is fine for the Olds, but I don't have the resources to do a nice job on the DeVille... how much would a place charge to do that? maybe one day this week I'll stop by a few local places and get an estimate also...

the pic was taken itn he middle of winter.. it actually got worse... the bottom, after I cleaned out the worthless flap of metal was a nice nice hole... then I used wayy too much bondo and sat there for 35min sanding it down, but I finally got it to kinda mathc the lines of the car.... but I think you can tell by now I don't care about how this car looks :)

The car had the problemn like all GM cars in this era... all horizontal surfaces exposed to sun, the claer coat would fade... the apint was soo bad... it was coming off in layers... I knew what was next was the actual body panels rusting out like you sometimes see... besides not being good... I think that is one of the most worst things... the whole roof 1 big slab of rust... so I sandded the old paint downa nd spray painted the new paint on... holding up fine thry the rain and stuff too.... the trunk came out hte best, the roof is only 1/2 done, and the hood needs another coat... I just havn't got around to it... and there is oversrpay all over, but I havn't got aroudn to cleaning that either... although my new used driver side mirrior used to be an ugly aqua color, it is now silver... on the small area it came out really nice.. then I clear coated it, so it is shiny... I was happy... then I spray painted over all the srpay-on primer ont he fender and door... so atleast not it matches... honestly, from 100 feet or so, most people don't even know the car has been hit...

I decided to add a pic of the side of the car after I got done paint the primer and mirror (those can be seen itn he link in my car domain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/367639/5

I gotta say, this is one cool and great car... if I didn't have the DeVille, I woudl be proud to have it as my first and only car too.... just has a great personality and very fun to drive... hard to explain... even my friend who loves imports and is a die-hard WV fan, I let him drive the car once... we were bored... so while driving it, he says, wow, this is a really cool car to drive... duh... I have been saying that all along... he can pay $90 for 5 spark plug wires, and I'll enjoy my set of 6 for $25, thank you....

eh, I coudl talk about my cars all night... it is 12:14AM though, and I gotta be up in 5.5 hours... ugh, why did I stay up so late... again.... talk to everyone later...

Ralph
10-06-04, 02:06 AM
Well, you could always do it if you plan on getting it professionally painted, etc. next year. It might be good experience. I've had to do a lot on the 1980 Phoenix. That car came from the factory with bad primer and when my Mom bought it new, the dealer gave her a can of paint probably because they knew what we would be up against. I guess GM didn't plan on these cars running 25 years down the road.

All the flakey paint was along the lower edges of the car and along the lips of the wheelwells. Religiously, every year I've had to sand, prime and paint. Then go through another winter, repeat the same exhausting process again and again since 1988!! I finally got so sick of it that in 1999 I bought that Grand Marquis. (rust free) I wasn't thinking, however, because my Fiance got the Pontiac and I STILL have to do it! :rolleyes2

I have NEVER had good luck getting paint to stick good to the primer. I've tried traditional paint and lacquer. Trad. paint worked better because there was no lacquer in 1980, but it just stuck to theprimer better. Primer is another thing. I used a lot of "Rust Destroyer" which is "guarenteed to stop rust." I never just sprayed it over the rust like the can says you can do as I sanded the rust to bare metal as good as I could, then applied a few coats of it. Then paint. But it always flaked off and I suppose our cold winters and numerous car washes will make any temporary fix not last. Rust destroyer worked better than that Turtle wax rust primer that comes out in a grey color, which was terrific because the Pontiac is silver and it matched the paint good and I wasn't embarrassed driving around with huge red blobs on the poor car. Finally, now I got enough coats on it and hope it survives through winter because my Fiance is in another city for a few more months possibly and the car will be outside in the elements!

My guess on a twin engined Caddy was off by 25hp!! I must be doing something right. :p

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 04:35 PM
On the olds, I sanded some to metal, others just cleaned upt he rust, and I used the rust eater stuff too...

... I havn't seen my Olds in a few weeks... it is at my fathers right now... hopefully it'll hope up good this winter...