: Early to mid 90's cars...any congenital problems?

Peter Crowl
10-03-04, 12:44 AM
HI...I'm new here.

Ok..here's the deal...my wife will be working in Arizona a couple weeks a month and needs a car to drive -not too many miles - and leave at the airport when she's back here.

Leather and max A/C/ are the two big concerns. I want to keep the price down ...need a good value. I also want something easy to service if she has a problem as I won't be there to dive in and fix it....has to be F. I. to avoid Vapor Lock issues.

The small cars in the price range are all clapped out...so...my thought is..early to mid 90's Cadillac. Leather is very likely and already I see several in local ads featuring rather low miles - well under 100K - for less than $4500. These seem to be your old guy stopped driving and now is selling the car ... car.

My last Cadillac was a 65 Fleetwood Brougham..bought from the Original Owner for $600....in 1979.

How are the early 90's cars holding up? Anything to avoid or seek out? I've been advised that cooling system flushing is important and to try and verify if that's been done.

I guess I'm looking for input regarding any sand traps on this course.

Thanks for any feedback...

Peter..in Denver

Sandy
10-03-04, 12:57 AM
You can't beat a '93 deVille or Sixty Special !! Last year for that "C" Body
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/503/26sandy2-med.jpg

Ralph
10-03-04, 01:03 AM
HI...I'm new here.

Ok..here's the deal...my wife will be working in Arizona a couple weeks a month and needs a car to drive -not too many miles - and leave at the airport when she's back here.

Leather and max A/C/ are the two big concerns. I want to keep the price down ...need a good value. I also want something easy to service if she has a problem as I won't be there to dive in and fix it....has to be F. I. to avoid Vapor Lock issues.

The small cars in the price range are all clapped out...so...my thought is..early to mid 90's Cadillac. Leather is very likely and already I see several in local ads featuring rather low miles - well under 100K - for less than $4500. These seem to be your old guy stopped driving and now is selling the car ... car.

My last Cadillac was a 65 Fleetwood Brougham..bought from the Original Owner for $600....in 1979.

How are the early 90's cars holding up? Anything to avoid or seek out? I've been advised that cooling system flushing is important and to try and verify if that's been done.

I guess I'm looking for input regarding any sand traps on this course.

Thanks for any feedback...

Peter..in Denver

Welcome aboard Peter. You mean to tell me that you get the RED GREEN show down there? I think that's him in your avatar?

Anyway, if you are looking at the early 1990's regarding engines, you cannot go wrong with a 4.5 or 4.9 PROVIDED they have been cared for and maintained. Like you mentioned it is important to have the coolant changed every couple years. GM also recommends adding the supplemental pellets to the cooling system. Looking at the color and condition of the coolant might give some clues as to change frequency. With any used car we are taking chances unless you happen to know the seller, etc. If you search a bit, you'll read that most of them go to 150,000 miles with no problems. The 4.9's are pretty easy to service regarding spark plugs, etc. The pcv valve is hidden under the plastic covering on the front of the engine but my only gripe is the location of the oil filter! Prepare to have oil spilled over the exhaust manifold, etc. when you remove it as it is on top of the engine.

Ralph
10-03-04, 01:04 AM
You can't beat a '93 deVille or Sixty Special !! Last year for that "C" Body
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/503/26sandy2-med.jpg
I'd trade cars with you Sandy, but I like lighter colors to hide the dust. :lildevil:

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 01:09 AM
I don't have a problem with the oil filter on the 4.9.... yeah the first 2 oil changes were tricky, but now I got it down.... it is easy now, and I don't spill oil anywhere... the fact it is on the top of the engine makes it neat too.... the filter on my Olds (3800) can be a little more tricky... again, once i did it, I now know the exact angle it likes... nothing beats the 425 though, when I got under the car, I remembered why i love RWD so much again... the only thing that coudl be more easy with that was if I didn't have to use the oil fitler tool to remove the filter :)

agreed... any 4.5/4.9 will be great... check out the DeVille's... very reliable cars...

Ralph
10-03-04, 01:21 AM
I don't have a problem with the oil filter on the 4.9cars

Was it you Rick that posted those pics of the oil filter on my "What a stupid place for an oil filter" thread last year? I think there was a screwdriver hole in that poor filter too. :shhh:

That's true, if you got the angle right, then it's not so bad. There is an electrical connection that is directly in the way of the filter and I have to hold it up while loosening the filter, no biggie I suppose.

Peter Crowl
10-03-04, 01:57 AM
Welcome aboard Peter. You mean to tell me that you get the RED GREEN show down there? I think that's him in your avatar?

I definitely need the women to find me handy!

My other choice for Avatar would be Bubbles!

Thanks for the input...how are the electroinics? Dashes?

Is 150K considered the top end mileage before major things need doing?

Peter..in Denver

Ralph
10-03-04, 02:08 AM
I definitely need the women to find me handy!

My other choice for Avatar would be Bubbles!

Thanks for the input...how are the electroinics? Dashes?

Is 150K considered the top end mileage before major things need doing?

Peter..in Denver

Seriously, I would never have guessed ANY American would know who Red Green is. :eek: (we are not all like him :yawn: )

Some people on this Forum have gone to 200,000 miles and no engine problems, however you might go through a tranny or two in that time. I've read that the tranny might be the only major weak spot, but someone this week just mentioned OVER 200,000 miles and NO major trouble!

I've got the digital dash and I love it. No prob;ems but then I only have 30,000 miles. I'm probably not the person to ask. Check the electronics forum as there have been some dash swapping occurring there lately. Lots of info.

Other than that, a larger expense could be the air shocks or CCR (computer command ride) Some older models can develop a leak and this can be costly. However with a Cadillac, you can go to Midas or ? and get passive struts put in place instead of the air bag shocks. This might run around $1,000 U.S. but that's not in stone. If you test drive and see a CCR light on the dash flashing, I would be leary.

What exactly are you looking for model wise?

Night Wolf
10-03-04, 10:45 AM
yeah, that was me....

yes the first oil change I did on the car took almost 3 hours

yes there are multiple stab wounds to that filter

and yes, I still have that filter :)

After I learned just how everything likes to go... it takes me no time at all to swap out the filter... the hardest part is letting the engine cool a little becuase the exhaust pipe is right under it, and it is easy to brun your hand...

Peter Crowl
10-03-04, 11:01 AM
Seriously, I would never have guessed ANY American would know who Red Green is. :eek: (we are not all like him :yawn: )

Being originally from Wisconsin I can say we're all like him!

What exactly are you looking for model wise?

I'm not dedicated to any specific model. I'm looking for the best condition/price intersection.

That's a big reason for my post...I'm out of touch with what's what in Cadillac models in these years...I'm here to find out of there are any big cautions...

"I'd avoid <_________> because the <________> is prone to failure and if it goes it costs <insert large dollar amount here> to fix it."

That sort of thing :)

Peter

Fred Fachman
10-04-04, 07:40 AM
I had an '89 Sedan Deville that i purchased in '95 for $6500 with 107,000 miles. I was told by the previous owner (he bought new) that the only thing he did was brakes, tires, gas and oil. I drove that car to 248,000 and did the same with the addition of an alternator replacement. One of the best and cheapest cars I have ever or will ever own. Sold it for $2200 in '01. Never even serviced the transmission or flushed the cooling system. 20 MPG average and 26 MPG on the road. What a great car.