: Specifics of OnStar digital upgrade on 04 DeVille?

thermactor
03-01-11, 09:15 PM
I posted this in the STS forum, but have decided that this is a better forum for this question.

I just purchased a nice, low mile 2004 DeVille. The car has OnStar, but it seems that it is the older analog system.

What's involved in the upgrade for a car like this? Would I get to keep my mirror? How much rooting around does the dealership have to do in my dash? I really don't like the idea of anyone messing around under there - I can just imagine panels not being put back on, clips and tabs being broken, and wires not properly bundled and positioned.

Thanks very much!
Wes

Submariner409
03-02-11, 03:10 PM
Based on my 2002 Seville OnStar upgrade............You can do it. Cheap, but with a subscription and minutes the cost is somewhere near $150+. You keep your mirror. There is NO rooting around in the dash unless you've installed an aftermarket sound system, in which case all bets are off.

You take the car to a Cadillac dealer they take down the VIN and model/year. Off goes an order to the great OnStar in the sky. A week or so later you get a notification that the module and upgrade package is in. Take the car in at the crack of dawn on the appointment day and you're done by 1000. The antenna and base is replaced and the communications module on the electronics bay (front trunk bulkhead) is replaced. The tech electrically tests the install, backs out into a clear spot, and sets up the new system with OnStar. Once completed and you activate your subscription and buy a minutes package, that's it. 200 minutes is $70, and if you buy a new minutes package just before your anniversary date, any unused minutes roll over, BUT if you don't buy new minutes, on day 365 any unused minutes disappear.

thermactor
03-02-11, 11:31 PM
Thanks! That's excellent news - I'll be setting up the appointment soon.

Wes

00 Deville
03-03-11, 05:52 PM
The last time I checked it cost $15 for the analog to digital equipment upgrade. They also charge a $100 fee for new account activation plus whatever minutes package you choose. You can get the latest offers by entering your VIN on onstars website.

https://www.onstar.com/en/web/myonstar/adt

jimrest
01-17-14, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the information, just acquired a 2004 DeVille and talked with our local GM Dealer and they are hooking me up today! Thanks again!