: moving page numbers to bottom

JackB
03-01-11, 04:57 PM
In threads with multiple pages why not list the pages at the bottom of the last post on a page instead of at the top which requires one to scroll back to the top to move to the next page? Most forums seem to do it that way.

RippyPartsDept
03-01-11, 05:13 PM
I set my page threshold at 100 posts so i don't have to turn pages as much

BUT

the pages are at the top and the bottom...
at least they are in this thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/191595-other-spam-thread-finally-broke.html

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 05:24 PM
dang chris why didnt i think about that going into change mine to 100 now also

JackB
03-01-11, 05:32 PM
My biggest fear in posting this was that someone would say that they already are at the bottom. Here is a thread from the CTS forum with multiple pages and I can not find the pages anywhere but opposite "Reply to Thread" at the top. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/204222-3-6di-2008-09-hesitation-jerky.html
As far as setting for 100 threads that certainly would work. My concern would be if it took longer to load, especially if returning to a thread that one has been following and are only interested in recent replies. In that case I prefer to click on the last or next to last page. I have not tried it however so it could have merit and I appreciate the suggestion.

RippyPartsDept
03-01-11, 05:34 PM
it takes longer to load (completely) if there's pictures but if there's not many pictures it loads just about the same

and every thread that i go into with more than 100 posts has page numbers under the last comment on the right side of the page
(just like they're on top of the first comment on the right)

RippyPartsDept
03-01-11, 05:37 PM
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6270/pagenumbers.jpg

RippyPartsDept
03-01-11, 05:43 PM
also, jack - if you click on the little circle with the double down arrow that is just left of the thread name it will take you to the newest post in that thread since you last looked at that thread

JimmyH
03-01-11, 08:47 PM
My biggest fear in posting this was that someone would say that they already are at the bottom. Here is a thread from the CTS forum with multiple pages and I can not find the pages anywhere but opposite "Reply to Thread" at the top. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/204222-3-6di-2008-09-hesitation-jerky.html
As far as setting for 100 threads that certainly would work. My concern would be if it took longer to load, especially if returning to a thread that one has been following and are only interested in recent replies. In that case I prefer to click on the last or next to last page. I have not tried it however so it could have merit and I appreciate the suggestion.

I clicked on that link, and the page links are at both the top and bottom of all the posts. Just like every other thread page I have ever seen. All I can say is it might be a bug in your browser.

JackB
03-02-11, 03:18 PM
Interesting as I don't have the little circle with the double down arrow either. Just out of curiosity, on the thread that I listed above exactly where do you see the bottom of page numbers. I have 15 posts then an ad for Todds Plumbing and directly below that the box for Quick Reply. Don't see any page numbers down there at all. It is hard to believe that a bug would just eliminate page numbers.

Submariner409
03-02-11, 03:45 PM
You can also go into SETTINGS and display the latest posts from top to bottom in all pages. That renders the "Yeah that ^^^" salute obsolete, but it instantly takes you to the latest and greatest.

RippyPartsDept
03-02-11, 05:16 PM
You can also go into SETTINGS and display the latest posts from top to bottom in all pages. That renders the "Yeah that ^^^" salute obsolete, but it instantly takes you to the latest and greatest.
I can't stand that reverse order... it's just too much of a headspin for me... probably because i'm used to it flowing downwards - and every other page in the world is read in a top to bottom fashion

JimmyH
03-02-11, 08:03 PM
See below, there is a little icon that will take you to the first new post that you personally have not viewed yet.

Also, see where the page numbers are at the bottom of both the forum index, and thread page.

If you don't have this, I am not sure what to you tell you. It could easily be a bug on your browser, as these pages have a TON of html that your browser must read and render. And when I say your browser, I don't mean the type of browser you are using, I mean your particular installation on your computer. Any number of things could be causing the bug. It could be a plug in you are using. It could be some weird dll file that your browser is loading for any number of reasons. It could be corruption caused by anti-virus etc. With today's software, who knows.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/73056d1299110431-moving-page-numbers-bottom-screenshot004.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/73057d1299110431-moving-page-numbers-bottom-screenshot005.jpg

JimmyH
03-02-11, 08:10 PM
I have 15 posts then an ad for Todds Plumbing and directly below that the box for Quick Reply.

Ok, I think I figured it out. I logged in as a guest in a different browser (since I am a platinum supporter and don't get most of the ads)

I am betting the ad you are referring to is the same as the BMW ad shown in the below screen shot.

And I am betting that ad is too low, and is covering up the page numbers which are right below it (should be right below it).

Some people were complaining that ad was covering up part of the post it is embedded in. I have personally never seen that happen though.

i don't think there is anything we can do, as the browser is responsible for rendering that page and placing objects where they are supposed to go.

JackB
03-02-11, 09:19 PM
Well that is interesting. In my threads the "Reply to Thread" line that you show above is up top just below the yellow box that encourages site contributions. I also seem to be missing that quick navigation box.

JimmyH
03-02-11, 09:22 PM
There is supposed to be a Reply button both at the top and the bottom.

Your symptoms lead me to believe your browser is definitely having a problem rendering the page. What browser and OS are you using?

RippyPartsDept
03-02-11, 09:25 PM
try installing a new browser - i recommend google chrome (if you're not already using it, which i assume you're not since this weird stuff is happening)

http://www.google.com/chrome

JackB
03-03-11, 10:37 PM
I don't believe the BMW ad is covering the page numbers as it is high in the last post as illustrated above. I have windows XP and IE7. Some other things I notice is that in the snapshots you posted above they show a "Reply To Thread" in a blue box at the bottom. [page numbers are opposite this]. What I have is just a "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" in a plain box [no color]. Those 4 little icons shown in the middle of the page at bottom in the illustrations are all the way to the left in mine and jammed together.
The wording in the bookmark listing are also not spaced as far apart as they should. For what it is worth HTML is the only function listed as "OFF".
Finally, I did not intend to make this question a career for everyone although I appreciate the replies. Aside from some slight inconvenience with this page deal I can navigate the site fine.

JimmyH
03-04-11, 09:18 PM
Have you tried logging on from another computer altogether?