: Chrysler 300 vs Hyundai Genesis

Jesda
03-01-11, 11:39 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1104_2011_chrysler_300c_hyundai_genesis_comparison/index.html
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/chrysler-300c-2011-hyundai-genesis-front-cornering.jpg
I'd take the 300, which I wouldn't have said a year ago. Its bigger, better looking, and according to MT it drives better.

The Tony Show
03-01-11, 12:08 PM
That's blasphemy to some 'round these parts. Don't you know that Hyundai is the sooper best most awesomest new car maker? :rolleyes:

Amphibian
03-01-11, 01:29 PM
I'd take the Chrysler all day long. It's better in almost every area.

ejguillot
03-01-11, 01:43 PM
Let's see if that still holds true with the 2012 Genesis. (revised suspension and 50 more HP.)

Playdrv4me
03-01-11, 02:45 PM
The dealer who had to take back the first Escalade we got had a 2009 Genesis 4.6 V8 with everything for 31k that was a strong contender, but in the end it's a completely boring car to look at. I'd take the 300 just on the fact that it's much more muscular and pleasing to the eye. I also believe the 300 will hold it's value better.

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 03:08 PM
The 300 is a German/American/Italian car. No way the Koreans can compete with that Axis of Evil...

ben.gators
03-01-11, 03:21 PM
That's blasphemy to some 'round these parts. Don't you know that Hyundai is the sooper best most awesomest new car maker? :rolleyes:

:yeah:

OffThaHorseCEO
03-01-11, 03:44 PM

:histeric:

Didnt you know? Hyundais are REAL luxury vehicles

drewsdeville
03-01-11, 03:46 PM

Like Cadillac, right? :devil:

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 04:02 PM
Like Cadillac, right? :devil:
Damn straight, mortarforker!

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 04:35 PM
I have never driven a Hyundai before
but i have driven a few 300
i would take the 300 any day
im not fond of hyundai

OffThaHorseCEO
03-01-11, 06:02 PM
ahh, see...

I HAVE driven hyundais. I HAVENT driven the 300. So i cant honestly judge. but i WILL say that id take ANY of the cadillacs ive driven over ANY of the hyundais ive driven

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 06:27 PM
I think the reason i dislike Hyundai is well not sure if its just me or if they really do always come out looking like they are knocking off another brand
yeah some could say Chrysler Knocked off or tried to knock of bently with there 300 front end grill
but i don't see that as much as i see Hyundai and and also going to add in Kia here also
knocking off the front and rear ends of cars

i think it was a oh i forget the model and wich of the 2 brands it was but
there was one ugly Fudger that looked like a rear end of a BMW and front end of a Benz and it was one of those to company that did that that made me truly dislike them

but then its just might be me and the way i see them maybe others don't see them as that

OffThaHorseCEO
03-01-11, 06:51 PM
check out that other thread. Ford did it too in the seventies apparently.

I hate that they look like knockoffs, but thats not the reason i dislike them. They are just shabby feeling from what i have experienced

Playdrv4me
03-01-11, 10:03 PM
I should clarify that I'd take this NEW 300 over the Hyundai... Just like Jesda, I found the old one a little too rough around the edges, and silly looking up front.

Destroyer
03-02-11, 12:07 AM
I think the reason i dislike Hyundai is well not sure if its just me or if they really do always come out looking like they are knocking off another brand
yeah some could say Chrysler Knocked off or tried to knock of bently with there 300 front end grill
but i don't see that as much as i see Hyundai and and also going to add in Kia here also
knocking off the front and rear ends of cars

i think it was a oh i forget the model and wich of the 2 brands it was but
there was one ugly Fudger that looked like a rear end of a BMW and front end of a Benz and it was one of those to company that did that that made me truly dislike them

but then its just might be me and the way i see them maybe others don't see them as thatExactly! You have a singular view on things and you are all alone. :lildevil:

ryannel2003
03-02-11, 12:22 AM
I like both cars to be honest. I was out looking at Hyundai's today and when sitting in the new Sonata it's amazing how far they have come in the past 10 years. My friend's '04 Sonata and the new '11 Sonata and were on completely different planets. If I was shopping for a midsize sedan, I'd be heading straight to the Hyundai dealership.

The Genesis is a beautiful sedan, very understated and elegant. I haven't seen the new 300 in person, but I liked the old one (except for the interior). I'll have to reserve judgement until I see one. BTW, if anybody thinks that Hyundai can't build a luxury car, I think it's time to look at Cadillac's beyond outdated STS and DTS offerings, especially when the latter is still using the same 4 speed auto and Northstar my 2000 STS has. Come on, the luxury field has changed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-02-11, 01:18 AM
If I was buying a brand new, 2011 model year car, I'd probably go with the 300. I like it's bolder, more aggressive, more "classic americana" styling, and I think it's interior is a little better looking with more "flavor" than the Genesis offers. What worries me about the 300 is Chrysler's longterm reliability and quality. Sure, the 2011 300 is vastly superior to the 2004 or 05+ 300s in terms of material quality and overall assembly, but how well will the car hold up in 3-5 years? I'm sure the Hyundai will stand up better over time, and if not, you've got a 10 year, 100k mile warranty that'll back you up.

If I was buying a used model, then definitely the Genesis all the way. The older 300's interior was embarassing, and I thought it looked goofy. The fact that it was large, RWD and square was good, but it wasn't long enough and it looked goofy in profile.

ga_etc
03-02-11, 02:02 AM
The more I see the new 300, the more I like it. Especially after getting to check it out at the CAS. I think I'd have to go with it over the current Genesis. I even like the first gen 300 more after riding in TBJS's rental. It was very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. I really liked the electro-luminescent too.

Aron9000
03-02-11, 03:35 AM
Eh, give me a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T over either of those. Make mine black with whore house red leather please. Love the whore house leather option in those.

I really do like the Genesis from a cereberal perspective. Its a fantastically built, very luxurious, and mechanically superior rwd/v8 machine. But much like most Lexus cars, they are totally uninspiring to look at. They do not elcit that emotional response of lust or desire like the 300/Charger/Magnum.

The past gen cars I could forgive the crappy interiors because of the v8/rwd and they were really interesting to look at. Now that they've fixed the crappy interior problem, and the past gen cars have been pretty reliable, I really think the 300/Charger owns the under 40k sedan segment. I'd even drive a hemi v8 300 or Charger over a v6 CTS.

thebigjimsho
03-02-11, 01:42 PM
The more I see the new 300, the more I like it. Especially after getting to check it out at the CAS. I think I'd have to go with it over the current Genesis. I even like the first gen 300 more after riding in TBJS's rental. It was very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. I really liked the electro-luminescent too.
Except it desperately needed a moonroof. That long roofline made it impossible to lean forward and see anything taller than 10 story buildings in Chicago...

77CDV
03-02-11, 02:47 PM
If I was buying a brand new, 2011 model year car, I'd probably go with the 300. I like it's bolder, more aggressive, more "classic americana" styling, and I think it's interior is a little better looking with more "flavor" than the Genesis offers. What worries me about the 300 is Chrysler's longterm reliability and quality. Sure, the 2011 300 is vastly superior to the 2004 or 05+ 300s in terms of material quality and overall assembly, but how well will the car hold up in 3-5 years? I'm sure the Hyundai will stand up better over time, and if not, you've got a 10 year, 100k mile warranty that'll back you up.

If I was buying a used model, then definitely the Genesis all the way. The older 300's interior was embarassing, and I thought it looked goofy. The fact that it was large, RWD and square was good, but it wasn't long enough and it looked goofy in profile.

This.

Playdrv4me
03-02-11, 03:55 PM
So the consensus seems to be that we like the new 300 quite a bit. Which means there might just be some hope for Chrysler.

thebigjimsho
03-02-11, 04:46 PM
So the consensus seems to be that we like the new 300 quite a bit. Which means there might just be some hope for Chrysler.
Which is what they said in '04...

Jesda
03-02-11, 05:19 PM
Chrysler's profits kept Daimler afloat from 05-07. All the profits were instead reinvested into Mercedes-Benz products.

Lord Cadillac
03-02-11, 05:35 PM

Give credit where credit is due. The Hyundai Genesis and Equus ARE luxury vehicles in every way except for the badge.

That being said, Hyundai has their hands full with the new Chrysler 300C. I don't exactly like the tame front-end of the Chrysler - but I'm not a big fan of the front-end on the Genesis either. Power to power will be closer when the 5.0 Tau is available.. Both interiors are very nice.. Very nice.. But I THINK the Chrysler might have the edge there.. Yes, it's a brand new model - but it's nicer (to me). It definitely feels more luxurious...

The bottom line is - the Chrysler drives like a luxury car should. The Genesis does not. Which would I choose? Probably the Chrysler.. But I've had a bad experience with them already - and I'm not 100% sure I'd be willing to go through that again..

RightTurn
03-02-11, 10:42 PM

:umno: We had to chose between the 300 and the Hyundai. Let's not panic here. :coffee:

Jesda
03-02-11, 10:52 PM
i lol'd

Stingroo
03-03-11, 08:44 AM
:umno: We had to chose between the 300 and the Hyundai. Let's not panic here. :coffee:

Truths.

JMBIII
03-03-11, 09:28 AM
From Autoextremist News: "Fiat. Sergio Marchionne's stop-gap plan to help Fiat hang on before it gets new models at the end of this year is to re-badge three U.S. Chrysler models as Fiat and Lancia models including the Chrysler 200 (which becomes the Lancia Flavia), the Chrysler 300 (which becomes the Lancia Thema) and the Dodge Journey (which becomes the Fiat Freemont). "

I wouldn't buy a Chrysler product - I don't like the odds of them being around to honor the warranty later on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-11, 09:41 AM
I'm confused. So are they selling them as Lancia models in the US, or are they taking them and selling them as Lancia models in Europe?

Lord Cadillac
03-03-11, 11:39 AM
It sounds to me like they'd be selling the Chrysler products as Lancia's in Europe...

Jesda
03-03-11, 01:50 PM
There was a plan to bring a Lancia 5-door hatchback here, but feedback wasn't very positive.

http://www.automobilesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/630lanciadelta.jpg

orconn
03-03-11, 03:46 PM
While Lancia has had some memorable moments in racing, there last moments in the American market were a disaster with reliability problems so severe that even though they had some very attractive cars in the 1980's Lancia never returned to the U.S. market. In recent years Lancia just hasn't had models that were all that attractive. Even the Lancia, with the detuned Ferrari engine, rendition of the ALFA/SAAB/Lancia joint chassis (Alfa 164, Saab 9series) was the least attractive of the three. While Lancia is a prestigious marque in Italy it just hasn't had that much appeal outside the Italian marketplace. The use of the Chrysler 200 (boo!) and the new 300 for European market Lancias met work as a stopgap ... although if they are only for sale for a few months till the new Lancias come out this could be detrimental.

ThumperPup
03-03-11, 09:02 PM
well today the Rental Company tried to put me in a Hyundai when they did not have the 300 or the lurcrean i had requested i said nope
was ready take a mini van before id drive the hyundai
they didn't even have that available lol
so then they put me in the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011
pretty nice i like it but not enough to drive it for a week
going to start calling all the enterprises around here in the AM and see if anyone has a 300 i could trade for

ThumperPup
03-04-11, 11:08 AM
picked up a 300 thismorning from the rental car going to see how this is
only 300s i have driven was a 300 C 2008
and a 2006 300 touring

this is the 300 touring plus 2011 i think its AWD

Stingroo
03-04-11, 11:18 AM
:postpics:

Lord Cadillac
03-04-11, 12:36 PM
I like the new Jeep Cherokee.. My neighbor has a new BMW X5 and a new Cherokee and side by side, it's hard to say which one looks better...

Do post some pictures of the 300 you rented when you get a moment...

thebigjimsho
03-04-11, 02:06 PM
And make them bigger than the 20x20 pixel pics of your doggies...

ThumperPup
03-04-11, 08:11 PM
I like the new Jeep Cherokee.. My neighbor has a new BMW X5 and a new Cherokee and side by side, it's hard to say which one looks better...

Do post some pictures of the 300 you rented when you get a moment...

Will do will take pics tomorrow morning its dark here and no flash on the cell phone its the alpine white its a 2010 just checked the key tag i thout it was a 2011 but turns out its a 2010

I am kind of wishing they had a Buick lucerne and
begining to wonder if the Jeep might have been better to keep
i don't like the gas mileade this 300 is getting but i think its bad cause its got the AWD atleast im preatty shure it does because of how crappy the MPG is its getitng like 23 on the highway

And make them bigger than the 20x20 pixel pics of your doggies...

I use photo bucket to resize pictures cause they don't fit in right size wise
and i am not familiar really gret with what size to resize for sure to
ill post what i can
but if you want so it can be bigger if i use photo bukcer what do i want to set the size at or if you want ill just email them to you and you can resize them so they look good

Also something im not sure i understand is the ECO on on the display screan
i read up a little but basicly is this shutting down from a few of the cylenders to run better on fuel when its not being given gas and just cruising ?
the eco on display goes way if i step on the gas and go for the power push

one of the reasons i also was not fond of the jeep i did not understand how it was a 4x4 but it was more like 4 wheel drive there was no way to shut the 4x4 of or is it that it automaticly engages when it feels the need to

ok picture is kind of small but only because i was to lazy to get dressed and go outside right now its sleeting and was raining for a good part of the afternoon
so ill take a better picture latter when i have to go out just took this with my phone threw the window

nope that to small thought it would be bigger gona have to wait till i go out will take some close ups and then have to post them

OffThaHorseCEO
03-05-11, 07:27 PM
cmon, youre not really helping your case here.

just delete the last two posts. wait till you can get a good pic of the thing, and post that.

ThumperPup
03-05-11, 08:02 PM
i tried to make them larger but for some reason i cant get them any larger
maybe its because im taking them with my phone and not a camera

ThumperPup
03-05-11, 08:05 PM
cmon, youre not really helping your case here.

just delete the last two posts. wait till you can get a good pic of the thing, and post that.

there just as you where talking i was outside doing some things and =taking hte pictures but im not sure why they just seem to not come in a good size i think because they are on my phone and im emailing them to myself but not sure why i cant resize them and dont have a camera where i am

billc83
03-05-11, 08:35 PM
nope that to small thought it would be bigger

That's what she said!

ryannel2003
03-05-11, 08:49 PM
You must have a real hatred for Hyundai to wanted to drive a Buick Lucerne, a car that wasn't even relevant when it came out in 2006.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-11, 09:15 AM
Even considering you can get the Lucerne CXS/Super with the Northstar, I'd still take a Park Avenue Ultra any day over that one, and a Park Avenue over a Lucerne CX or CXL. Isn't the Lucerne like the bastard step child to the 1998-04 Seville though?

ThumperPup
03-06-11, 11:02 AM
Isn't the Lucerne like the bastard step child to the 1998-04 Seville though?

I have heard that ones but your the second one i ever heard say that
so didn't know weather it was jsut a rumore or something that others really think

im still going to be in the rental till tuesday probably if the seville is doen by then
im going to call the reanl place tomorrow when i get back to cleveland and see if they can track down a Lucerne for me

i know about 2 summers back when someone hit me last time there was an acident in the seville
the caddy dealership got me in a Lurcerne CXS i think it was and i know rental car companys have them atleast enterprise had them back in 09
so id asume they would still have them now perhaps thats why i really want that it was actualy the last rental cari could really enjoy
i havent been to happy with the 300 i thout it was a AWD but its just a 2 WD
and the tires on it sucks snow up here in Detroit last nite roads wher ebad annd this thing handled like S###

Stingroo
03-06-11, 11:20 AM
Different platforms. The Seville STS was a "K" body, and the Lucerne is an H body, and has 3 extra inches of wheelbase.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-11, 11:30 AM
Thanks for clarifying that Ray. So is the "H Body" the same one that underpins the 2000+ Deville and 1998+ Park Avenue?

Stingroo
03-06-11, 11:39 AM
Apparently, the Deville is the K-body with a 115.3in wheelbase. So the Lucerne is a larger car inside.

That's really odd.

Jesda
03-06-11, 11:57 AM
Supposedly, the Oldsmobile mid 90s G-body came from the Cadillac K-body, but the later K-body (98+ Seville, Deville, DTS) came from the Oldsmobile G-body.

All are similar.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-06-11, 01:48 PM
Supposedly, the Oldsmobile mid 90s G-body came from the Cadillac K-body, but the later K-body (98+ Seville, Deville, DTS) came from the Oldsmobile G-body.

All are similar.
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/1123/original/xzibit-wtf.jpg

Jesda
03-06-11, 04:28 PM

Exactly

Playdrv4me
03-06-11, 04:29 PM
ALL of those cars are inter-related INCLUDING the last Park Avenue, and ALL from the Aurora G lineage... That would be Aurora, Riviera, Park Avenue, LeSabre, Seville, Bonneville, Deville/DTS, and finally, Lucerne. Tracing the "G" back to ITS roots, you do indeed arrive at the "K" platform which is what makes all of this possible. Wheelbase is irrelevant as the platform was versatile enough to be squeezed and stretched as necessary.

drewsdeville
03-06-11, 04:43 PM
ALL of those cars are inter-related INCLUDING the last Park Avenue, and ALL from the Aurora G lineage... That would be Aurora, Riviera, Park Avenue, LeSabre, Seville, Bonneville, Deville/DTS, and finally, Lucerne. Tracing the "G" back to ITS roots, you do indeed arrive at the "K" platform which is what makes all of this possible. Wheelbase is irrelevant as the platform was versatile enough to be squeezed and stretched as necessary.

This, in bold. The E/K and W bodies are all GM knew for 15-20 years or so. Almost everything else was a spinoff of those in one way or another.

Aron9000
03-07-11, 01:59 AM
This, in bold. The E/K and W bodies are all GM knew for 15-20 years or so. Almost everything else was a spinoff of those in one way or another.

And don't forget the shitty J-bodies and A-bodies(Cutlass Ciera/Buick Century) which GM never bothered to really change.

drewsdeville
03-07-11, 02:07 AM
And don't forget the shitty J-bodies and A-bodies(Cutlass Ciera/Buick Century) which GM never bothered to really change.

Weren't the A's and W's related? I think so. Considering the A body came around first, I should revise my statement to:

The E/K and A bodies are all GM knew for 15-20 years or so. Almost everything else was a spinoff of those in one way or another.

Playdrv4me
03-07-11, 02:28 AM
The Cutlass Ciera and Century were almost contemporary production-mates to the damn Jeep Cherokee... Cherokee had a LONG production run from 1984-2001 and those two followed pretty closely. Difference is the ol' Cherokee was and still is an awesome little truck to this day!

ga_etc
03-07-11, 03:05 AM
Yeah, but the Ciera and Century refuse to die.

Playdrv4me
03-07-11, 03:23 AM
Yeah, but the Ciera and Century refuse to die.

? They're out of production now.

Stingroo
03-07-11, 05:29 AM
Weren't the A's and W's related? I think so.

Yeah, together they make one fine tasty beverage. :rimshot:

(Couldn't resist.)

Playdrv4me
03-07-11, 06:12 AM
Nice.

Stingroo
03-07-11, 10:15 AM
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

ga_etc
03-07-11, 07:02 PM
? They're out of production now.

They're out of production, but how many do you still see on the road? Quite a few around here. My best friend's brother just got a '94 Ciera with 144k. All he has to do to it is replace a freeze plug.

Aron9000
03-07-11, 08:22 PM
They're out of production, but how many do you still see on the road? Quite a few around here. My best friend's brother just got a '94 Ciera with 144k. All he has to do to it is replace a freeze plug.

You can thank all the little old lady owners who bought them new for them still being around. They took good care of them and drove them like 50k miles in their 10-15 years that they owned them until they died/got too decrepid to drive. Now that the cars have passed on to their 2nd/3rd/4th meth head owners, I expect they'll all be gone in the next few years.

ga_etc
03-07-11, 08:40 PM
Probably. But in the meantime, they're little troopers.

Playdrv4me
03-08-11, 02:09 AM
Yea, but so is the Cherokee I mentioned, which is why I didn't understand your original comment about them "refusing to die", since those XJ Cherokees live forever.

Aron9000
03-08-11, 05:11 AM
Yea, but so is the Cherokee I mentioned, which is why I didn't understand your original comment about them "refusing to die", since those XJ Cherokees live forever.

The thing I admire about those Cherokees is that people beat the living shit out of those trucks, yet they still keep trucking. Same thing with Toyota trucks, most owners are not very kind to them. The ones up north usually rust out before they quit running right. Seen a lot of Toyotas from up north that in fantastic mechanical/running shape, but are a hazard on the road due to severe rust issues.

thebigjimsho
03-09-11, 11:16 AM
Top Gear Toyota.

Tucker6
07-01-11, 02:37 PM
Just stumbled onto this forum and I think you are all nuts who would take the Chrysler over the Hyundai... let me know how you feel once the Chrysler is in the shop for the million times...Chrysler's reliability still sucks the big one...where as Hyundai has a lot riding on the Genesis...So when it comes down to my money and wanting reliability and safety features...sorry folks but the Genesis wins hands down.

Jesda
07-01-11, 03:05 PM
Reliability is indeed a valid concern, but modern cars are generally dependable enough, and I don't expect Lexus-level perfection from a low-cost Chrysler.

So, in my case, I'd pick the better handling, smoother ride, and more spacious interior, which in this case is the 300.

Automobile (or C&D, cant remember) has a long-term Genesis in their fleet with 100,000 miles. They described it as uninteresting but quite reliable. No major issues at all.

Personally, I'd just buy whatever vehicle was the best deal on the used market at the time.

Lord Cadillac
07-01-11, 03:47 PM
I'd take the Genesis R-Spec over the 300C - especially with the new suspension on the Genesis. I'd take the 300C SRT-8 over the R-Spec...

vincentm
07-01-11, 03:57 PM
ahh, see...

I HAVE driven hyundais. I HAVENT driven the 300. So i cant honestly judge. but i WILL say that id take ANY of the cadillacs ive driven over ANY of the hyundais ive driven

^ This

thebigjimsho
07-01-11, 05:06 PM
I'd take a CTS-V over all.

Jesda
07-01-11, 07:34 PM
I'd take the Genesis R-Spec over the 300C - especially with the new suspension on the Genesis. I'd take the 300C SRT-8 over the R-Spec...

That's a good pick. The one negative is that MT says the suspension is firmer than before, and the standard Genesis had issues crashing over potholes. MT says its smooth enough, but I don't trust MT's judgement since they seem less inclined to say anything negative about most cars.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1106_2012_hyundai_genesis_r_spec_drive/index.html

Besides the added power, the revised steering is the most important upgrade.

brandondeleo
07-01-11, 11:29 PM
I have a hard time picking a Hyundai over a Chrysler any day, (Mopar fan), but Hyundai really hit the nail on the head with the Genesis. I can't wait to see their new model, the Equus. I haven't driven either, so I cannot comment on the driving qualities, but the interior of the Genesis kills that of the 300. I would rather have an SRT8 than a Genesis any day, though.

Jesda
07-01-11, 11:34 PM
Oh and the Genesis R gets some styling tweaks which I like too.

YOUR MOVE, MOPAR.

brandondeleo
07-01-11, 11:42 PM
When it comes down to it, I would probably have to drive both of them to make a concrete decision, but since I tend to lean toward luxury and comfort, I have a feeling the Genesis would be more alluring, considering the notoriously cheap 300 interiors...

Playdrv4me
07-02-11, 06:19 AM
The new 300 interior once again leapfrogs the Genesis interior in my opinion, Brandon. The Genesis has a lot of that plasticky silver stuff I don't like.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-11, 09:07 AM
If I were to buy a brand new Genesis V8 or 300C today.... it would be a tough decision. I prefer the 300's design, so it speaks to my heart, but Hyundai's reptuation for reliability speaks to my head.

DouglasJRizzo
07-02-11, 09:17 AM
neither one of these really does it for me. if I "had" to choose, it'd be the 300, but they're both rather generic.

Lord Cadillac
07-02-11, 11:21 AM
That's a good pick. The one negative is that MT says the suspension is firmer than before, and the standard Genesis had issues crashing over potholes. MT says its smooth enough, but I don't trust MT's judgement since they seem less inclined to say anything negative about most cars.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1106_2012_hyundai_genesis_r_spec_drive/index.html

Besides the added power, the revised steering is the most important upgrade.

I can deal with a stiff suspension (7-Series) but not a harsh one. Before the suspension upgrade in 2012 the rear seat passengers complained of harshness over road imperfections...

When it comes down to it, I would probably have to drive both of them to make a concrete decision, but since I tend to lean toward luxury and comfort, I have a feeling the Genesis would be more alluring, considering the notoriously cheap 300 interiors...

As mentioned, the new Chrysler 300 has a very nice interior. I haven't spent enough time in either vehicle to really compare the two, but the Genesis looks more technologically advanced inside - which is something I like...

brandondeleo
07-03-11, 03:24 AM
The 300's interior has gotten better since the redesign, but I haven't experienced it yet... I do like the technology, too... I must say, though, that the Genesis Coupe is pretty awesome.

agp
07-03-11, 04:25 PM
I would take the 300. I don't want people to laugh at me when they think I drive a Mercedes S and then realize it's only a Hyundai.

Jesda
07-03-11, 04:40 PM
Check out my e-class

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/08/0815_korea_cars/image/kia_amanti.jpg

orconn
07-03-11, 04:41 PM
I would take the 300. I don't want people laugh at me when they think I drive a Mercedes S and then realize it's only a Hyundai.

Good thinking for a new University of Michigan grad student!

thebigjimsho
07-03-11, 06:06 PM
Alright, this Chrysler interior love HAS TO STOP. Take off the blinders and realize the new interiors are tasteful but PLAIN. They work well, which is key, but are the successor to some of the worst interior p00p that has ever rolled off an assembly line. If Chrysler wasn't so piss poor before, there would be little love for the new interiors. Fiat has done some good but they'll need more improvements...

Jesda
07-03-11, 06:17 PM
This is true, but I'm actually a bit tired of the overdone interiors in today's Cadillacs.

Sometimes, futuristic is a little loud, but that probably works well in the CTS. A big car should be like a good pair of leather shoes:
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/11q2/2012_chrysler_300_s_300c_executive_series-auto_shows/gallery/2012_chrysler_300c_executive_interior_photo_2/4285436-1-eng-US/2012_chrysler_300c_executive_102_2_cd_gallery.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-03-11, 06:20 PM
I agree the Cadillacs are a little busy for my tastes. But my '09 V is worlds better than my '04. Simple is good. Boring? Not so much...

agp
07-03-11, 06:34 PM
+1

Less is more. Sometimes when I'm driving, I prefer not havig to look at my center console for 5 seconds before finding the button I want to press.

orconn
07-03-11, 06:35 PM
This is true, but I'm actually a bit tired of the overdone interiors in today's Cadillacs.

Sometimes, futuristic is a little loud, but that probably works well in the CTS. A big car should be like a good pair of leather shoes:
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/11q2/2012_chrysler_300_s_300c_executive_series-auto_shows/gallery/2012_chrysler_300c_executive_interior_photo_2/4285436-1-eng-US/2012_chrysler_300c_executive_102_2_cd_gallery.jpg

Agood pair of high quality shoes .... like Aldens!

Everytime I ride in my wife's 2002 Seville SLS (and other '98-'04 Sevilles) it reminds me just how cheap it really looks. the center stack looks like it came out of a Regal and the flashing and gaps around the steering wheel binnacle show just how much had been cheapened over the previous series. While nat as fast as 4th series it dpoes handle better though!

Jesda
07-03-11, 07:29 PM
I find Gen 4 to handle better due to its lower weight by hundreds of pounds.

Jesda
07-03-11, 07:30 PM
Its possible though that Gen 5 returns better numbers on skidpad and emergency handling tests, handling better in actual use, while Gen 4 feels more natural and agile due to lower weight and seats with much better side bolsters.

orconn
07-03-11, 09:13 PM
I also prefer the way the Gen 4 Seville STS handles over the Gen 5, but I thought it was just because I was an old fogy, who favored the more Euro handling of the Gen 5 in BMW's and Alfa's rather than Cadillacs. There's something to be said for the more "stately" characteristics of the Gen 4, somehow more in keeping with it's status as a "personal luxury sedan" than as as "sports sedan."

I know "sports sedans" that do a better job of being sports sedans, I know of few "personal luxury sedans" that do an better job of being just that than the 4th Gen Seville STS. Unique, very attractive styling in a restrained "upper crust" sort of way, with great seats (for me), more than adequate power with a trans that gets that power to the ground in an efficient ut civilized manor, and a suspension that provides great all round capabilities. Neither the 4th or the 5th generation Sevilles are perfect, but I haven't found any newer cars that make me want to write a check!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-11, 09:31 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a Cadillac was a '93 STS. So much power, so much speed, and the steering was very crisp and it handled very tightly and it sounded amazing. It didn't hurt that it was white with the medium tan leather interior. Beautiful, beautiful car.

orconn
07-03-11, 09:46 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a Cadillac was a '93 STS. So much power, so much speed, and the steering was very crisp and it handled very tightly and it sounded amazing. It didn't hurt that it was white with the medium tan leather interior. Beautiful, beautiful car.

My wife's previous Seville was a '93 and it was the "sportiest" of all the Sevilles I've come in contact with. Being a bit of a hot rodder herself she really loved the '93, in fact given the choice she would have kept the '93 over her 2002. My '95 STS is a considerably more refined car than the '93 was, supposedly the zenith for speed of these Sevilles was '95 but revamping of rear suspension and steering, plus a quieted exhaust system made the '95's less of a "hotrod!" Each was and is fun in it's own right, but as a DD I prefer the '95. The '02 is fine too but just doesn't have the "Úlan" and "je ne sais quois?" of the the old boat.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-11, 10:31 PM
Come to think of it, I wonder if the 1993-94 Northstars are less prone to HG failure than the 1997-99's, which were apparently the most likely to get hit with the failure.

Destroyer
07-04-11, 12:07 AM
Come to think of it, I wonder if the 1993-94 Northstars are less prone to HG failure than the 1997-99's, which were apparently the most likely to get hit with the failure.Of course they are. You just don't see them in the polls cause most have already been junked.:(

orconn
07-04-11, 12:36 AM
Of course they are. You just don't see them in the polls cause most have already been junked.:(

Along with so many of the same vintage Jags that currently tug at your heart strings!

Destroyer
07-04-11, 12:46 AM
Along with so many of the same vintage Jags that currently tug at your heart strings!I agree. They don't tug at my heart strings because I have no heart. Jag starts acting up and it's gone. I could care less.

Stingroo
07-04-11, 12:54 AM
Bah humbug. No car enthusiast can say they have no heart. Something tells me you wouldn't have the same attitude about the Cutlass as the Jag.

Destroyer
07-04-11, 01:08 AM
Bah humbug. No car enthusiast can say they have no heart. Something tells me you wouldn't have the same attitude about the Cutlass as the Jag.You are right but the Cutlass is a toy that I don't drive often. It is a car that I will always keep modifying for pleasure and if it breaks it just gives me an excuse to add more to it. The Jag has been a great car and if it had a catastrophic failure tomorrow I would assess the repair on a value vs. cost basis and make a decision. Most likely I'd go get another car and sell mine. I've been through too many cars to really care one way or another.

gary88
07-04-11, 01:15 AM
Alright, this Chrysler interior love HAS TO STOP. Take off the blinders and realize the new interiors are tasteful but PLAIN. They work well, which is key, but are the successor to some of the worst interior p00p that has ever rolled off an assembly line. If Chrysler wasn't so piss poor before, there would be little love for the new interiors. Fiat has done some good but they'll need more improvements...

You hate America! Why do you hate America?

Night Wolf
07-04-11, 03:01 AM
Shame these cars aren't FWD :(

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:31 AM
Shame these cars aren't FWD :(It's a shame your post was only 5 words long...

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:32 AM
You hate America! Why do you hate America?Libya owns 2% of Fiat. Fiat owns Chrysler. Libya owns Chrysler. Libya owns America.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 03:29 AM
I find that 300 interior with the matte finish wood to be tastefully understated and just right. It returns to some of the elegance the interiors have stepped away from recently. The new switch-gear also has a substantial, quality feel to it and the displays no longer look like a $5.00 clock radio.

dqw1
07-05-11, 07:56 PM
I'm with Jim on the interior. It's not new or earth-shattering what they've done to the 300's interior. Really, they didn't have to do much to improve on the former model's interior.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 10:59 PM
I'm with Jim on the interior. It's not new or earth-shattering what they've done to the 300's interior. Really, they didn't have to do much to improve on the former model's interior.

That's the thing, I don't care what the previous interior looked like. One was shitty, one is good. Mutually exclusive concepts as far as I'm concerned, because I'd be perfectly satisfied with the NEW interior, in ANY domestic luxury car. I saw a top of the line new-300 driving down the highway opposite from me the other day... Tone down the chrome on the outside JUST a tad, and you've got something damn near perfect for its price range. The LED running lights on the front gave it a very Audi-ish look as it approached me. The only thing that threw off that impression was the bling draped all over the sides of the thing.

brandondeleo
07-06-11, 04:30 AM
I like chrome. Unless, of course, you start putting on those chrome door edge protectors, wheel well trim, and door handles...

OffThaHorseCEO
07-06-11, 04:18 PM
Shame these cars aren't FWD :(

shame its not a BMW or JEEP

Lord Cadillac
07-06-11, 11:03 PM
Just as I predicted: 4.8 seconds to 60 and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 sec at 107.1 mph. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody beat that. My first mod would be sticky tires and that would probably shave off a tenth as well.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_2012_hyundai_genesis_5_0_r_spec_test/index.html

With all the talk of Kia and their upcoming RWD V8 Coupe, we're probably going to see some serious competition for the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etcetera...

Don't be surprised to see R-Specs with intake, exhaust and a tune in the 12s. A lighter coupe will even be more impressive.

gary88
07-06-11, 11:28 PM
Impressive. I still can't get over the Chinese-knockoff styling though.