: who has been ripped off during a trade in ?

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 01:22 AM
ok so who has been ripped off after a trade in we all know that dealers try to ripp you with low ball offers at first
anything they can do to get your car cheaper and give you less
but
today i was talking with a friend he told me a story how about a year ago he traded in his mid 1990s Mercedes S class in it had some body damage to it not major but a crack and a dent in a few places they told him it was only worth 4k as a trade in
ok had about 1000 worth of used parts and color matching damage to it
he told me how a week after he traded it in and the dealer said they where going to send it to someone els who was going to be buying it and authorized them to offer what they did was all B/S
he saw it on Auto Trader and the dealers website fixed up and for sale for 5k more then they paid him for it

so who has ever had this happen and if it did happen what would you do
go say somehting to them let them know how you feel or just keep quiet and not say anything

i would go make a stink disturb there show room and let everyone
know they where scam artists

ga_etc
03-01-11, 01:30 AM
Anyone who has ever traded in a car.
:nuffsaid:

Playdrv4me
03-01-11, 01:32 AM
4k for a beat up mid '90s S Class is not out of line. If I recall, Chad got 6 or so for his 1999 S320 in excellent condition with less than 100k when he got his Regal.

Also, just because they tried to double their money (which is no crime), does not mean anyone is going to PAY that.

orconn
03-01-11, 01:48 AM
I have been lead to believe that a dealer is looking for at least a $3000. profit margin when buying a used car for resale. This being the case it is always better to sell a car privately rather than do a "trade in." Of course if you don't want to take the initiative to sell the car yourself, then that is the price of a dealership taking it off your hands.

Playdrv4me
03-01-11, 01:54 AM
Also, in most states people forget that there is a MAJOR sales tax incentive to trading in, as you only pay sales tax on the trade difference. So occasionally, you can actually come out ahead on a trade if you have a somewhat desirable car that a dealer actually wants to have in their inventory, OR if you are buying a car they really want to get rid of.

C&C
03-01-11, 06:17 AM
If you get 'ripped off' in a trade-in then you went into the deal unprepared. If you sign the papers, and the dealer signs the papers, then you have a mutally agreeable deal and both parties should be happy (or at least contented).

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 09:00 AM
There are fewer scam artists in dealers than there are dumbass peons getting taken. It's business, people. Get over it.

The Tony Show
03-01-11, 12:14 PM
When you're buying a car from a dealer and you want to get a discount or lower price on the car you're buying, do you consider that "ripping them off"?

Both parties in any sale, private or otherwise, are looking out for their own best interests. You're always free to turn down their offer, so if you feel like you got "ripped off" after a sale then you have no one to blame but yourself for taking the offer.

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 12:26 PM
Yeah but for them to plain and simple say this is for someone who is going to take it because we wouldn't sell it on our lot because of the few parts that are damaged
so someone els is the one who is buying it and they take it to there lot
but then to find out that that was a total lie that is just messed up

i have no problem with dealers trying to rip you off on trade in

because yeah we try to bargain price down when we purchase

this is the American way lol

but to come out and lie say we wouldn't be selling the car its someone els that is buying it and we had to contact them to get the higher price that you wanted
well that is what would piss me off

and i think thats what really ticked of my buddy

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 12:37 PM
So they changed their minds. But you said they fixed it up. That's parts and labor. And who knows if they get what they want. They didn't rip anyone off. It's business.

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 12:40 PM
i think they did its not that they changed there minds
they told him it was another person who buys some of there trade ins that they don't think would sell on there lot so they would go to a budget lot or off to auction but someone els who buys them
he told me they said specifically that it was someone els buying it
i believe they planned on keeping it the entire time just lied to him about who was buying it that to me i think there should be laws against

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 12:41 PM
i think it was a 96 S500 He had 167k on it and it was the rear bumper that had a crack and the front bumper had paint chips

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 01:04 PM
Once they give you money, it's their car. They can do what they want. If you want laws against that then you're venturing to communist territory...

ejguillot
03-01-11, 01:41 PM
i think it was a 96 S500 He had 167k on it and it was the rear bumper that had a crack and the front bumper had paint chips

For an S500 with that many miles on it, in that condition, 4K sounds fair. Just because they fixed it up and listed it with a wishing price doesn't mean that he got ripped off. Now, if some idiot buyer pays the wishing price, that's the buyer's problem.

cadillac kevin
03-01-11, 01:51 PM
dealerships do usually sell off their trade ins, unless its a super clean or very desirable car.
back in the early 90's (94 maybe), my dad traded in a 1987 4x4 S10 blazer to a local chevy dealership towards a newer S10 with a 4.3 and long bed(91 or 92.) this was back before they looked at your vehicle in person before telling you how much it was worth in trade in. it was a well optioned truck- skid plates, factory lift kit, 2 sets of rims (summer and winter), rebuilt motor (carbed 2.8). 2 tone paint job. anyways, the guy offered my dad $3k or $4k or something like that for it (it was a 5 year old truck with low miles) and figured he could make it up since 4x4s were highly in demand at that time (and the S10 was overpriced to begin with)
anyways, my dad was able to talk the sales guy down on the price of the S10 (down to fair value, instead of the inflated dealer price). he buys the S10 for x amount and will bring the blazer back the next day as the trade in. well, the blazer was rusted out, the sides were rippled, there were a couple bullet holes in it, it had faded red (pink) paint, clutch was fried, motor had no compression and could only do 20mph in 5th gear, and the tires were bald. pretty much it was a total lemon and only worth $200. the sales guy was very pissed off and red in the face but then again, he was a total ******* to my dad when he bought the S10, so he deserved it. when my grampa took my dad to look at the S10 prior to buying it, the salesman was selling my grampas olds wagon (g-pa walked in on the salesman trying to find the keys to take it for a test drive with a customer and chewed his ass out for trying to sell his car.)

RippyPartsDept
03-01-11, 01:55 PM
does it really matter what they told him their plans for the car were?
why would he accept a lower trade in value depending on what they planned to do?
the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it... if the owner sells it for less than that to someone else (or the same person) that's on the owner - not the purchaser - who made a mistake