: Loud ticking noise.... SOLVED!

Houdini
02-28-11, 10:35 PM
Well I've been really annoyed with a loud ticking problem that I've been having for months. It started to get worse a few days ago and it sounded so much like a motor tick on both sides. A day ago I found a bad exhaust leak on one of the crappy gaskets that came with my high flow cats. Replaced the drivers side and that solved part of the noise but I still had a pronounced tick on the passenger side of the engine near the top. It sounded much more than injector tick and I couldn't feel any exhaust leaks on the manifold connection. I pulled out the automotive stethoscope (great cheap tool btw) and started listening to the valve cover for lifter noise, then the exhaust manifold gasket areas, then the injectors. All sounded normal. Then I started sticking the probe (giggity) down near the spark plugs and BINGO, I heard the noise.

You guessed it! Damn spark plug came loose! Upon closer visual inspection, I could see the #6 wire boot and aluminum shield wobbling around slightly...pfff! Anyway, I hope no damage was done driving around like this (engine seemed to be running fine and I had been beating on it like usual). I pulled the plug the rest of the way and it looked fine. Threads were clean and the plug checked out ok on my ohm meter so back in she went. Snugged it up, put the plug wire back on and fired her up... NO TICK! Sweet!

I'd always heard that a loose plug could be the cause of a tick sound but I've never had it happen and didn't even think of it at first. This has been my first EZ fix in ages! GOD IT FEELS GOOD! Just had to share my story..lol. :cloud9:

ahahnu
02-28-11, 11:47 PM
Doctor- Veddy nice.

whisler151
03-01-11, 11:31 AM
You guessed it! Damn spark plug came loose! Upon closer visual inspection, I could see the #6 wire boot and aluminum shield wobbling around slightly...pfff! Anyway, I hope no damage was done driving around like this (engine seemed to be running fine and I had been beating on it like usual). I pulled the plug the rest of the way and it looked fine. Threads were clean and the plug checked out ok on my ohm meter so back in she went. Snugged it up, put the plug wire back on and fired her up... NO TICK! Sweet!

I'd always heard that a loose plug could be the cause of a tick sound but I've never had it happen and didn't even think of it at first. This has been my first EZ fix in ages! GOD IT FEELS GOOD! Just had to share my story..lol. :cloud9:

Same here! I found that my ticking and random misfire (P0300) was/is being caused by a bad (loose) plug wire. Ordered the Firecore wires from Gforce.

CadiBlk
03-01-11, 12:46 PM
So it was loose enough to hear a tick from it, but it didn't throw a code? Nightmares, I am crazy paranoid that I didn't get one of my wires snug enough from my last header reinstall.

Glad you fixed your problem.

Houdini
03-01-11, 01:55 PM
Yeah no codes and I'm almost 100% certain that the cylinder was still firing (engine was running strong ..or at least I thought so). The plug was finger loose and wobbling around. I still had to turn it a few times to pull it all the way out though.

Chris0nllyn
03-01-11, 02:28 PM
Hm, very weird.

I have a small tick as well, as well as a rough idle, but no CEL.

If it gets worse I'll check it out, until then I'll plan on changing the plugs and wires w/ the header install