: brake pads sticking to rotor after wash / rain drives

bneal1022
02-28-11, 09:39 PM
Been a while but I'm still around!

I've had this happen 3 times now. After a wash then pulled in garage then later driving the left front caliper pads seems to have surface rusted fast to the rotor. The car is stuck. Even giving it some gas it just plows the locked wheel, the POPS free. I suppose I should drive after a wash. This last time I did and it still happened only to a much lesser degree. I now also notice a slight pulsation when braking now from the front. Only when braking. I bend a rotor? Why can not park the darn thing with wet rotors? What about when it rains? Remedy?

Thanks team V !

JimmyH
02-28-11, 09:43 PM
Anytime I let my V sit for more than a few days, when I next went to drive it, you could hear the brakes popping free. Though, I never had it actually drag a locked up wheel like that. Something there isn't right. I would guess the pulsation is due to brake pad residue fused into the rotor. Pulsing brakes is more often due to that than warp-age.

If it were me I would start by changing all the pads. Are they the originals? Maybe some weird substance got transferred to your brakes from the road.

JD03Cobra
02-28-11, 09:56 PM
Mine does the same thing with the OEM pads and rotors and with my current GM Drilled rotors with HPS pads. It's really odd...I've never experienced any vehicle like it.

bneal1022
02-28-11, 09:57 PM
it does not drag, but close to it.pads have less than 3K on them and rotors are original, and car has only 33K. once free, alls good, except minor pulse from front which only started after first pop free.

kevm14
02-28-11, 10:49 PM
Go do a real hard stop, or a few of them, and that should clear up the pulsation.

bneal1022
02-28-11, 10:53 PM
cool, how about prevention of the sticking?

rjoffe
02-28-11, 11:16 PM
I would try either different pads or different rotors, something is not right there.

repenttokyo
03-01-11, 11:23 AM
i have not had that happen to my car, even when surface rust is visible after sitting outside in the raid for a week.

kevm14
03-01-11, 12:13 PM
When I wash mine I do get a sticking but have never dragged a tire and I've washed it and put it away before. I have HPS pads and drilled rotors. Maybe see if the outer (or inner) circumference has an excessive amount of unswept area/buildup that could be causing the problem. Or a caliper piston is starting to stick.

robertb
03-01-11, 09:22 PM
This happens to my brakes every time they get wet, either rain or when washed. They stick, but pop free when I give a small amount of gas and roll forward or backward. I have been through four sets of pads and 3 sets of rotors and it has always happened.

Robert

PISNUOFF
03-01-11, 09:39 PM
This happens to me often also. The next morning after it rains they pop free. It has done this with stock pads and HP+'s.

JimmyH
03-01-11, 11:34 PM
but has anyone had a wheel lockup like the OP? Stuck pads are normal. Happened on my V, and on my MR2. Never like his though.

CancerJCC
03-01-11, 11:52 PM
it does not drag, but close to it.pads have less than 3K on them and rotors are original, and car has only 33K. once free, alls good, except minor pulse from front which only started after first pop free.

but has anyone had a wheel lockup like the OP? Stuck pads are normal. Happened on my V, and on my MR2. Never like his though.

I think he just originally described his issue with to much enthusiasm.

Mine too stick for a moment after washing or driving in the rain. Although I don't remember them doing it always....

JimmyH
03-01-11, 11:55 PM
to much enthusiasm.

you might want to edit your post before bigjim comes in here and raises hell :lol:

CancerJCC
03-02-11, 02:53 PM
you might want to edit your post before bigjim comes in here and raises hell :lol:

Must be an inside joke.

mcline86
03-02-11, 06:08 PM
Mine does the same thing....after driving in the rain or letting it sit a few days. Il have to give it some gas and then they pop free.....dunno wut i have for pads and rotors though, dealership replaced them under warranty because the rotors warped. I dont recall if it did this when it had OEM pads and rotors.....didnt have it long enough.

WesH8398
03-02-11, 06:55 PM
Further confirmation that mine stick like that too. Just like everyone else, they break free with a little acceleration and a loud release pop/bang.

bneal1022
03-02-11, 09:29 PM
thanks guys... my "enthusiasm" was in the anticipation of the massive bang when the free up. (no need for big jim to jump in)..not a pop. I had this happen for the first time in my 2 years of ownership about a month ago and since then I get the minor pulsation from the front brakes when stopping. My fear was in braking a caliper or hub or bending something important - like my hopes and dreams.

JimmyH
03-02-11, 09:37 PM
Must be an inside joke.

A bad one, apparently. I thought you guys would get it. I keep forgetting there has been a turnover in the V forum. Sorry.

JimmyH
03-02-11, 09:39 PM
thanks guys... my "enthusiasm" was in the anticipation of the massive bang when the free up. (no need for big jim to jump in)..not a pop. I had this happen for the first time in my 2 years of ownership about a month ago and since then I get the minor pulsation from the front brakes when stopping. My fear was in braking a caliper or hub or bending something important - like my hopes and dreams.

I think new pads are your only choice. Other than that live with it. That seems to be the consensus.

cadillactechnician
03-03-11, 03:38 AM
Normal condition of this braking system when get and left to sit. Nothing wrong with the braking system per say as it was designed.

lollygagger8
03-03-11, 10:37 AM
A bad one, apparently. I thought you guys would get it. I keep forgetting there has been a turnover in the V forum. Sorry.

I got it Jimmy.

The turnover is "too" often! It's a shame "to" have to lose all the inside jokes on the youngun's :(

CancerJCC
03-03-11, 11:08 AM

:) Yep bigjim only pops in every now and again. Sort of like this one mod I know!

CancerJCC
03-03-11, 11:10 AM

I don't know if the two are related but I didn't have the "stuck" caliper thing all of my V's life either. And I too get some pulsation when I am braking. I am hoping an alignment whenever I get my self over to the local stealership will alleviate my problems.

JimmyH
03-03-11, 04:25 PM
:) Yep bigjim only pops in every now and again. Sort of like this one mod I know!

I am trying to be more regular :sheepish:

JDB
03-07-11, 09:13 PM

Yes, I just experienced this over the weekend to this AM. I washed the car on Sat during mid 50Fs and pulled it back into the garage. Monday AM, I find several inches of snow in the driveway... WTF is with this weather?!? glad I washed it, just to have salt all over it again... anyway... I went to pull out and the brakes were locked up. ok, I've had this before with my heavily modified '01.5 Audi A4 with Stoptechs up front. so, give it some gas.... and proceeded to drag tires on the garage floor to a wonderful tire screaming sound. ok, figure I give it another try... more screaming tire(s). poke my head out to the driver's front, go again, and sure enough, drags along... but, note: that it's on a leftover piece of linoleum from our old place that runs under the center of the car, but it was shifted over under the driver's side tires. Maybe it wasn't getting enough grip to break free... So, I get out to see if I can see there are other ones stuck by seeing how much rust is still on the rotors. driver's front only. so, I chucked it with a small block that I drag a bit and it finally popped loose and I fly out the garage and brake to slide in the snow. fun Monday morning. no pulse felt. and I did hit the brakes hard a few times to kinda re-bed the pads in.

orignal stock pads and rotors (32k), as far as I know, since I've only had the car almost a year and bought it with 24k. I would bet they're originals all around.

I've washed the car before before winter, but I always parked it on the side of the house for shade, but didn't need to Sat since it was mostly cloudy. so, lesson learned, drive the car a bit before going into the garage to dry it off.