: New member, first Cadillac

epetrillo
02-28-11, 01:26 PM
I originally posted this in another section of this forum but then realized this is where it should have gone.

Hi I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1997 SLS with 80k miles on it. Aside from a couple of nicks on the body molding, some condensation in one of the tail light lenses and very slight wear on the drivers seat this thing could have come through a time warp direct from the showroom. It also runs and drives like a new car (so far). I have to say that reading through some of the threads here has got me a little scared. Do any of you not have problems with your cars? I do hope my new baby holds together for a while because although I didn't pay much for it I just love the thing. I am not sure why but I am more excited about my '97 SLS than most of the brand new cars I've bought.:thumbsup:

Jesda
02-28-11, 01:48 PM
Wow, low miles. Welcome to the forum

The more complicated a car is, the more potentially goes wrong.

orconn
02-28-11, 02:07 PM
I've had a '93 Seville STS and have a '95 STS and a '02 SLS ..... all have served me well over the last 10 years. Hope your '97 SLS serves you well. Welcome to the Forums!

Rolex
02-28-11, 11:12 PM
:welcome5:

Destroyer
02-28-11, 11:29 PM
I originally posted this in another section of this forum but then realized this is where it should have gone.

Hi I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1997 SLS with 80k miles on it. Aside from a couple of nicks on the body molding, some condensation in one of the tail light lenses and very slight wear on the drivers seat this thing could have come through a time warp direct from the showroom. It also runs and drives like a new car (so far). I have to say that reading through some of the threads here has got me a little scared. Do any of you not have problems with your cars? I do hope my new baby holds together for a while because although I didn't pay much for it I just love the thing. I am not sure why but I am more excited about my '97 SLS than most of the brand new cars I've bought.:thumbsup:Get ready to be punished in a brutal way for crimes not committed. Enjoy the car till it decides to have it's way with you. :yup:

ga_etc
02-28-11, 11:44 PM
Destroyer is a little jaded. There are a lot of us on here who have had very loyal service out of our Northstar cars. Best of luck with the new car and welcome to the forum.

epetrillo
02-28-11, 11:59 PM
Get ready to be punished in a brutal way for crimes not committed. Enjoy the car till it decides to have it's way with you. :yup:

Destroyer I don't see a Cadillac listed under your name. Have you given up on them or do you just come here to scare the newbies? :) Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope my Caddy and I are around for a while.

Emilio

orconn
03-01-11, 12:49 AM
One would think Destroyer was illegitimately conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac Northstar* given his vitriol toward the cars!

Stric9
03-01-11, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the board

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 10:17 PM
Welcome Aboard
just roll with the punches youll learn to love the love hate relationship with the new caddy but youll llove it

cadillac kevin
03-01-11, 11:30 PM
I'm sure there are guys here who dont have problems with their cadillacs. but this is a car forum, so most posts will be about how to fix/ change something on the car. go on any car forum, and you'll be scared to death to buy one of those cars for fear of mechanical failure. I havent seen many late 90's sevilles at the junkyard for motor failures, so thats a good sign. can't say the same about the time bomb known as the high technology 4100 though.

Destroyer
03-01-11, 11:50 PM
Destroyer I don't see a Cadillac listed under your name. Have you given up on them or do you just come here to scare the newbies? :) Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope my Caddy and I are around for a while.

Emilio
The answer is yes on all counts. I have given up on Cadillacs. I don't try to "scare" newbies but I want them to realize that N* ownership is a PITA and an expensive proposition. I have been here long enough to know that A. I'm not alone, B. The N* is basically junk and C. I'm pretty much always right. I've been around for the 4-6-8, the 4.1 and the Northstars. I'm leaving many out but these are all drivetrains I have owned. Anything post 70's with an honest to goodness Cadillac motor is junk IMO. Only good Cadillac's left have Chevy motors in them (i.e. Escalade, CTS-V). It is a shame, I grew up loving Cadillacs, now not so much. I blame GM for this. :cookoo:

Destroyer
03-01-11, 11:56 PM
I'm sure there are guys here who dont have problems with their cadillacs. but this is a car forum, so most posts will be about how to fix/ change something on the car. go on any car forum, and you'll be scared to death to buy one of those cars for fear of mechanical failure. I havent seen many late 90's sevilles at the junkyard for motor failures, so thats a good sign. can't say the same about the time bomb known as the high technology 4100 though.The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*. :yup:

cadillac kevin
03-02-11, 12:23 AM
I said late 90's northstars. theres plenty of the early 90's ones there. maybe the late 90's ones arent old enough to be failing en masse yet? I'd guess theres about 50 4100 cars (fwd and rwd), about 5 of the 4.5 and 4.9, and about 25 of the redesigned 90's seville/ deville with the northstar. I think they have 5 to 8 late 90's/ early 2000's caddies (catera doesnt count) , which are trashed out.
therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the timebomb of the 4100. :P

Destroyer
03-02-11, 12:32 AM
I said late 90's northstars. theres plenty of the early 90's ones there. maybe the late 90's ones arent old enough to be failing en masse yet? I'd guess theres about 50 4100 cars (fwd and rwd), about 5 of the 4.5 and 4.9, and about 25 of the redesigned 90's seville/ deville with the northstar. I think they have 5 to 8 late 90's/ early 2000's caddies (catera doesnt count) , which are trashed out.
therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the timebomb of the 4100. :PHuh? What? :alchi:

ThumperPup
03-02-11, 12:37 AM
The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*. :yup:

ok wow now i seen it all someone who admits there caddy over heats and still thinks its worth 4k
dang this should be a simple clue if it was a simple fix it would have been fixed
i feel really sorry for the new kid or guy or gal on the block that buys this without there mechanic checking it out for every possible problem

ThumperPup
03-02-11, 12:38 AM
Darn Post lags double post

ThumperPup
03-02-11, 12:48 AM
therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the time bomb of the 4100. :P

I know 2 of the Junk Yards in Cleveland
Will not sell a Northstar Engine unless it is absolutely perfect means car came in running been tested tests great probably there for insurance total out from body damage or something
but there is no way these 2 yards Denision Auto parts or Ridge Road Auto parts would ever sell a Northstar engine unless they knew for sure they where ok
and you know last time i was there looking for a few parts trinkets and other stuff last summer maybe i saw about 8 sevilles and maybe 20 Eldorados and close to even more devilles somewhere around 30 Devilles all with 4.6 N's
all years that i could guess probably from 93 up to to i don;t know but probably 04 Seville and o5 devilles

and only about 4 of them where missing the engines witch means out of 68 cars just at Denision alone only 4 of them had good engines that they sold unless someone bought them as none running just for parts alone

because they got so many back for every 10 they would sell 5 would come back bad they said so they stooped

when i was considering a used engine at first over the spring
i called both these yards up Denision was the only one that had 1 they had 2 that they would sell and both of them had around 60k on them and they wanted 1800 for each one used i was not going to do it even though they where confident and backing it with a 90 day unlimited warranty and they where also going to put in for 800 is what they where going to charge for the labor

now that i think about it i probably would have been better of putting that used engine in then having the hg's fixed in April lol

cadillac kevin
03-02-11, 12:57 AM
here they'll sell you any part off the car (faulty or not), but you can't buy the whole thing. you can only bring back an engine and trans. and you have 1 week to do so.
btw, if a car that cost 40k+ 10 years ago is now selling for 4k, chances are somethings seriously wrong with the majority of those cars. I've lost count of how many $2k- $3k caddys with northstars I've seen on craigslist and
at corner lots. they sell though. the brothas in the hood snap them up, then they're in the junkyard 6 months later.

ThumperPup
03-02-11, 01:05 AM
here they'll sell you any part off the car (faulty or not), but you can't buy the whole thing. you can only bring back an engine and trans. and you have 1 week to do so.
btw, if a car that cost 40k+ 10 years ago is now selling for 4k, chances are somethings seriously wrong with the majority of those cars. I've lost count of how many $2k- $3k caddys with northstars I've seen on craigslist and
at corner lots. they sell though. the brothas in the hood snap them up, then they're in the junkyard 6 months later.

yeah there was a time back in the late late 90s and early early 2000s that all the drug dealers in the hood where snapping up caddys and Auroras with the N's in them and they kept buying them if it wasn't the police impounding and confiscating them it was them breaking down and to much to fix lets sell another ounce of powder and buy a new one lol

Playdrv4me
03-02-11, 07:07 PM
lol, poor OP is probably shivering with fear in his basement by now.

RippyPartsDept
03-02-11, 08:11 PM
Destroyer... what about the guy who buys a N* cadillac with the intent to stud the motor w/ Jake's SureGrip stud kit? or buys one that has already been inserted or studded?

and :welcome: emilio

Jesda
03-02-11, 10:59 PM
I've been through enough cars to know that there's worse in this world than a Northstar Cadillac.

epetrillo
03-02-11, 11:54 PM
lol, poor OP is probably shivering with fear in his basement by now.

You got that right. I'm not sure if I'm glad I found this forum or wish I never had. I will make sure my car gets proper maintenance and "try" to enjoy it, if I can after the horror stories I have read here.

Emilio

cadillac kevin
03-03-11, 12:12 AM
look on the bright side - you could have bought a jaguar with a V12.......

.... or a yugo
In all seriousness, every car will have its good batches and bad batches. I know a few people with northstars who have never had a problem out of them. if you compare the number of northstars that have blown up (from manufacturing defects) compared to the total number of them still on the road, the number that have engine failures will be a very small percentage.

billc83
03-03-11, 12:19 AM
First off, greetings and salutations, Emilio.

Don't let the guys scare you. The facts are there - Northstar motors have a tendency to blow head gaskets. That's the major issue. There's some other issues such as oil use, too, but the HGs are the big one. Dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to repair and they're a bitch to fix by yourself. If not caught early, it will cause the engine to overheat - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!

Enjoy the car! But be aware. If the HG's give way to the ghost, there's a member on here (the aforementioned and greatly trumpeted Jake) who sells a stud kit if you catch the problem early.

Playdrv4me
03-03-11, 02:39 AM
You got that right. I'm not sure if I'm glad I found this forum or wish I never had. I will make sure my car gets proper maintenance and "try" to enjoy it, if I can after the horror stories I have read here.

Emilio

Enjoy it, and if it breaks... fix it. Because even with that much of an investment, you have more car than any 15 grand Corolla could ever hope to be. And like Sub always says, a 40k car still has 40k car repairs even if you only paid a pittance of that. That goes for any luxury brand.

jason0423
03-04-11, 11:06 AM
The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*. :yup:

that's what happened to me when I bought my first N* Caddy.