: EGR or IAC problem on -95 Eldo

farmerjohn
02-28-11, 06:33 AM
My 1995 Eldoardo ETC has gradually becoming more difficult to start when medium warm. Coldstart works fine, restart directly after stopping is fine. 10 minutes later it takes half a minute of cranking before starting.

The other day it stopped several times with no idle. Had to shift into N with foot on gaspedal to keep it running. PCM codes read P036 history, P045 history, P093 history, P095 history. As I understand it that means the EGR pintle is not moving freely resulting in fat mixture and yes, the PCM noted stalling!

I have been reading a lot of forums and found out that I may need to clean or change the EGR and possibly clean the IAC.
Now to the big question(s) how do I go about this work without damaging anything, ending up buying expensive new parts?
Has the starting problems been early signs of this problem?

Ranger
02-28-11, 12:42 PM
:welcome:
First check for a leaky FPR. That's a common cause of hard hot starts (see the Tech Tips section).

The TB may be due for a cleaning and can't hurt. (again, Tech Tips).

Likewise with the EGR valve (clean it, don't replace it $$$$$$).

Those codes mean nothing without the definitions. Posting the definitions with the codes will help others help you.

farmerjohn
03-01-11, 07:21 AM
Found the Tech Tips, great help. No match found for FPR. Can't figure it out mystupidself, Fat Problem in Return, Foot Print Rear, Fast Psycho Regression, Found Peace Recently? :banghead:
Please help.

Ranger
03-01-11, 01:53 PM
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator. When all else fails, check the Acronym sticky at the top of the page. Just pull the vacuum hose (red arrow) off at idle and look for fuel at the nipple. There should be none.

farmerjohn
03-02-11, 05:37 PM
Thanks Ranger.
Found it, pulled the hose off with engine off, clean and dry. Started and pulled the hose, fuel squirted 4 inches out and all over the place.:suspense:
Put hose back in a hurry and shut the engine off.
I did clean the EGR valve and the TB. Engine runs nice now but still is hard to start when warm.
What shall I think and do about the FPR?
Drove a couple of miles speedin and stoppin, got it properly warmed up. Everything seemed fine, no fire :D no leaks, no codes

Ranger
03-02-11, 10:06 PM
Started and pulled the hose, fuel squirted 4 inches out and all over the place.
There's your problem.

What shall I think and do about the FPR?
Replace it. Bleed off any remaining fuel pressure before removing it. Your hot starts will improve as well as your fuel mileage.

farmerjohn
03-24-11, 12:07 PM
I just want to convey my sincere thanks to Ranger for letting me know what to do. I changed the FPR, took me all of 10 minutes! And the car runs like brand new!
I'll drive it some more and check if the mpg goes back to normal.