: Northstar Headgasket Leak/Headbolts......Northstar Performance Bolts

CaddyMan254
02-27-11, 11:37 AM
Well it goes like this.....last week I bought a beautiful 1999 Deville from a used car dealership...not knowing about the FAMOUS headgasket issue with the northstar motor!!!! JUST GREAT suspense:!!! Now I have a beauty in my yard with a horrible anitfreeze leak coming from the left side of my motor!!:banghead: So I am looking for a permanant fix for my car. I have been looking around and I hear people talking about the stud kit from Northstar Performace...and I was wondering is this the way too roll??

vincentm
02-27-11, 12:41 PM
Definately, it's worth the money, and the time to install it, because once installed correctly, you don't have to worry about HG issues again, ive yet to install my purchased kit but from hearing the word on these forums, it's the only way to go imo.

CaddyMan254
02-27-11, 01:00 PM
Yea....I think it the way Im going to go. The good think about it is I dont have to worry about shipping my car or motor to Canada. I found a shop in Dallas Tx that is a member of Northstar Performace and they use the SureGrip Stud Kit...So I will be giving them a call in the morning and see about how much they will charge me....hopefully I can slide with a bill less than 2500!!

Ranger
02-27-11, 01:13 PM
Wait a minute. Head gaskets rarely leak externally. Be sure you have a HG leak before you start this. Your description does not sound like a HG leak.

ejguillot
02-27-11, 06:50 PM
Wait a minute. Head gaskets rarely leak externally. Be sure you have a HG leak before you start this. Your description does not sound like a HG leak.

Correct - a leak from the "left side" of the motor (which I'm assuming is the driver's side) would probably be coolant crossover gaskets, with the water pump or hoses in the area as a second possibility. Been there, done that (my crossover gaskets went 2 years before my HG's did). The crossover gaskets can be replaced WITHOUT pulling the engine from the car.

Submariner409
02-27-11, 08:22 PM
Left side, right side; driver's side, passenger side; front side, rear side. It's a sidewinder engine, so the right side is the firewall side, left side is the radiator side, "front" is the passenger (accessory drive) end, "rear" is the driver's (transmission) end.

...........and isn't there a head gasket failure poll sticky up a few threads ??? Northstar Performance studs.

...........and Ranger's correct - Northstars don't leak coolant onto the ground due to head gasket failure - it's a cylinder/misfire/overheat thing.

1999...........heater supply and return pipes ???

N*Caddy
02-27-11, 08:36 PM
Why you are using big words like FAMOUS. This kind of statement is what inflated the the N* HG issue fame. You don't even have this problem but somebody reading will say "yeah these engines are no good".
Many many many many high mileage N* are on the streets with original untouched engines. Is really NOT so common.

CaddyMan254
02-27-11, 08:50 PM
Excuse me then...i guess it the rear of the motor.....when i look under the car there is a pan under the motor....i dont know what it is called but that is where the antifreeze drops..with that being said....my car has 640000 miles on it and it does overheat.....i dont hear a knocking or ticking in the motor....I dont know what do you guys think???

97EldoCoupe
02-27-11, 08:56 PM
Pinpoint the leak if you can, use a flashlight around to check for external leaks all around the engine. Pressurize the cooling system to help find these (18psi max) but overheating is quite possibly (but not for sure) a blown HG or pulled bolts.

Let me know what you find. As for studs vs. serts, I'm kinda biased but I'll say "Go with studs!".

I don't wish blown HG's on anyone. But I will help you out if I can, if your's are on the way out.

maeng9981
02-27-11, 09:31 PM
:welcome: Dallas Cadillac owner-

I am currently waiting for my stud kit to arrive. It is definitely the way to go if you have head gaskets/bolts problem. But, there are so many possibilities when it comes to overheating. It might be as simple as a clogged hollow bolt to as difficult as a head gaskets/bolts problem. Follow the advice above ^^^ and see what is leaking. Like Ranger said, head gaskets rarely leak externally (almost never).

97EldoCoupe
02-27-11, 09:42 PM
Harry your UPS track # is in your inbox - should arrive Tues :)

maeng9981
02-27-11, 10:24 PM
Harry your UPS track # is in your inbox - should arrive Tues :)

Got it Jake. Thank you!! Hope you are doing well with all the moving work!

ThumperPup
02-27-11, 10:28 PM
Yo Jake Clean out your inbox man typed up a long aaaaa PM and i even spell checked every last word and hit send and i knew it would say your inbox was full LOL

auroradude
02-28-11, 03:01 AM
If thats the original radiator i wouldnt be surprised if its shot by now. Do a pressure test.

CaddyMan254
02-28-11, 09:04 AM
I dont see anything coming from the rad....with that said, when I crank my car and let it warm up and then cut it off I see the coolant dripping....also after my car warms up and i shut the car off....I have pressure on my surge tank..is that bad??

Submariner409
02-28-11, 11:03 AM
I dont see anything coming from the rad....with that said, when I crank my car and let it warm up and then cut it off I see the coolant dripping....also after my car warms up and i shut the car off....I have pressure on my surge tank..is that bad??

Your system should run at 16 psi, or whatever the coolant reservoir cap is rated. With the engine hot there will be quite a bit of pressure and the hoses should be hard. The pressure is what keeps the coolant from boiling until 265 degrees. Coolant at atmospheric pressure boils at around 218. BUT, if the system pressure continues to build and blows coolant out of the reservoir, then you have real problems and will need to do a cylinder block/head test for the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant. Discussions: Technical Tips.

If you see coolant dripping from the rear of the engine, there are several areas to check: The coolant reservoir itself - they can crack. The water pump housing cover. The water pump shaft (difficult if not impossible to see). One of 4 gaskets at the water crossover (absolute murder to change). The thermostat housing.

In the diagram your EGR valve and EVAP system will be different from that shown, but the water crossover itself is very close.

CaddyMan254
03-01-11, 12:37 PM
Well...I dropped my car off at the shop this morning....I took them a printout of the diagram you gave me....hopefully I will get some good news. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN SO HELPFUL!!!!

CaddyMan254
03-01-11, 09:54 PM
Well got news from the shop today.......and seems my block its CRACKED!!!!! So I am calling the dealer I purchased it from and see what I can do about getting a refund or another vehicle. I mean I love Cadillacs but I cant keep this car. The bad thing is today is the 14th day Ive had her!!!!! HEARTBREAKER!!

ThumperPup
03-01-11, 10:22 PM
did you get any warranty on the vehicle did they give you a 30 day 50/50 i know some of the first class dealers will but some won't
if its a as is
no warranty im sorry to break you heart or burst your bubble but chances are they will not do anything about it
how ever if you have any chance at proving they did know at least i know in ohio if they tried to hide the crack you could take leagle action but then again youd have to pull it out and have it taken apart inspected see if there was any stop leak that was put in there to help sail the crack
if you could have any chance at proving the dealer was hiding the issue at least in ohio not sure about other states you have leagle action other wise its not going to be easy or good sorry for your troubles

ThumperPup
03-03-11, 10:56 PM
caddyman any update yet whats going on dealer do anyting for you ?

stssteve
03-07-11, 11:13 PM
Jake can supply you with a block I'm sure for a reasonable price. I am one of his original customers and can claim 4 years and 50K mi on my studs (98 STS). He just does really good work. I don't even have a hint of an issue from that work and saved a bundle from what the stealership quoted me.

akzoo
03-11-11, 02:38 AM
The kit does appear to look good, however, I have had nothing but a string of problems dealing with Northstar Performance. I found the drill guide I was sent did not line up, my mechanic called Jake and talked to him twice but now Jake will not take calls or return them as he promissed. This was just one issue in a string of problems with Northstar Performance, Cadillac has other options.

Speedygman
03-11-11, 09:02 AM
I am new kid on the Block to Cadillac fourm, I am now in the process of installing my NorthStar Performance stud kit and have had nothing but plesant dealings with Jake both on the phone and email. My kit is doing just what the instructions described and very easy to understand.

97EldoCoupe
03-11-11, 10:16 AM
SpeedyGMan - post some photos of your hot rod! :)

Remember guys I had mentioned an issue a little while ago regarding a threat in Alaska to copy my patent pending system? I heard the exact words "there's nothing special in this kit that cannot be sent to a machine shop and duplicated" Then the woman wanted all money back without sending the kit back.

^^^^^ akzoo

If the plate were incorrectly machined or welded, I could have been given notice long ago. All plates are welded on a precision jig that cannot be off. Should Akzoo need another fixture plate he can order one, return the old one and I'll refund all but shipping once I receive the old one back.

Speedygman
03-12-11, 12:58 AM
There you go Jake

ThumperPup
03-12-11, 01:33 AM
I am new kid on the Block to Cadillac fourm, I am now in the process of installing my NorthStar Performance stud kit and have had nothing but plesant dealings with Jake both on the phone and email. My kit is doing just what the instructions described and very easy to understand.

oh my that hot rode rocks post soem more photos please

ThumperPup
03-12-11, 01:37 AM
The kit does appear to look good, however, I have had nothing but a string of problems dealing with Northstar Performance. I found the drill guide I was sent did not line up, my mechanic called Jake and talked to him twice but now Jake will not take calls or return them as he promissed. This was just one issue in a string of problems with Northstar Performance, Cadillac has other options.

i thiink you are the only one on the forums right now at the present time who must have ever had an issue with jake but i don't believe he is a bad person he is one of the best ppl i can think of who saves us from all the high cost repairs
and wants to keep our n's on the ground running on the road

so i can't say that i have a easy time believing this

as jake posted below if someone threatened his patent by those words then i can understand why he is hesitant to work with someone on this but he is a honest and great business man

ThumperPup
03-12-11, 01:39 AM
hey caddy man its been like 10 days i think or close to it whats the news with the caddy did things get worked out you just dispered alot of us here i bet are wanting to hear any news or progress

97EldoCoupe
03-12-11, 03:53 AM
SpeedyGMan that is one gorgeous Ford! Thank you for posting those pics!

Thumperpup- Thank you. That means a lot to someone who is stressed out and can't sleep.

Yes I also would like to know what the OP is going to do with his car. Save it please if you can, these caddys are special cars.

wantboost
04-19-11, 05:35 PM
how much work is involved to change these bolts and how long does it take?>

Ranger
04-19-11, 10:07 PM
Unless you are good and have been there before it will take several days at least. You have to drop the drivetrain out the bottom.

ponyboyt
04-19-11, 10:39 PM

how do you know there is pressure? By opening the cap? There will be pressure when its warm. Hot coolant. Normal. Overflowing with a closed cap, not normal.