: 50's Fifth Wheel Parking Concept

MudAnt
02-26-11, 10:27 PM
With cars getting bigger and parking getting smaller..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296E57CxNw4

Interesting idea, what I'm wondering is how did it connect and disconnect from the driveshaft?

V-Eight
02-26-11, 11:02 PM
Cool concept, but goodbye trunk.

dkozloski
02-26-11, 11:10 PM
Why not just spend a little time practicing parallel parking?

orconn
02-26-11, 11:31 PM
Come to think of it I haven't parallel park in 20 years! But loss of trunk space would be a major drawback. Haven't heard much about the automated parallel parking feature that came out on some Japanese cars a few years back, do they still offer that feature?

Aron9000
02-27-11, 01:26 AM
Come to think of it I haven't parallel park in 20 years! But loss of trunk space would be a major drawback. Haven't heard much about the automated parallel parking feature that came out on some Japanese cars a few years back, do they still offer that feature?

Just like that automated cruise control feature, I'd much rather do it myself. If I hit something parallel parking, I only have myself to be mad at, not the stupid car. And I have yet to have a parking lot mishap in the two years I've been driving my 20' long Cadillac. Parallel parking a LS460 Lexus or Benz S-class is a piece of cake by comparision.

As for the gimmicky spare tire parking thingy, I think I would buy a smaller car if parking a huge car like that 1951 Cadillac is such an issue. I sure as hell would own a smaller model Caddy if I lived in urban Chicago or New York.

sjlafs
03-24-11, 11:29 PM
This is another example of the creativity that was taking place in the era. Its not about how well you can park, your driving abilities.. or for that matter, about the many other vehicles that you own.

If anyone here has some info to share regarding The Parked Car 5th Wheel feature, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. This would make a great feature addition to the classic vehicles we all love.