: Anyone else feel Onstar not worth renewing?

NJRonbo
02-26-11, 07:46 PM
I am at the end of my initial year of
free Onstar service.

I enjoyed the email diagnostic reports
every month.

Bought phone minutes. Never used them.
I always have a phone on me.

Once in a while I would lock my keyfob
in my car because I pressed the lock
button on the dashboard (which I still
do regularly). I had to call Onstar to
open the door.

However, if I can figure out how to stop
the car from locking with the keyfob inside
then I really don't see the need for Onstar.

The renewal costs $200 a year or something
like $30 a month. In either case, it's quite
expensive for something I may never use.
True, it's an insurance policy against help in
an accident but you have to weigh how likely
you think it may happen.

These are tough economic times for everyone.
Usually I wouldn't scoff at paying $200 for the
renewal, but for the next few months it's gonna
be a little tough to cough it up.

Anyone feeling the same way or want to talk
me out of not renewing?

GMJim
02-26-11, 08:29 PM
+1 on nixing Onstar

Nancy116
02-26-11, 08:49 PM
I'm confused. You mean you lock the doors with the dashboard button as you're exiting the vehicle? Why don't you just lock them from the keyfob?

I never renewed my Onstar after the trial period (6 years ago) and have never had a situation where I missed it.

NJRonbo
02-26-11, 08:52 PM
I'm confused. You mean you lock the doors with the dashboard button as you're exiting the vehicle? Why don't you just lock them from the keyfob?

Blame this very forum.

When I first got my vehicle some of the
regulars were talking about a very cool
method of exiting the vehicle, walking
away, and having it lock itself.

That was the idea behind the dashboard
button.

You exit. 10 seconds later car beeps
and doors lock.

What I found out the hard way was that
if you left your keyfob in the car, the doors
lock anyway.

Trust me, you get used to that button.
Everytime I exit the SRX, I hit it.

I am trying to ween off that button and
go back to the keyfob to lock the car,
but it gets habit forming.

Ponyman
02-26-11, 09:20 PM
You can get OnStar for $148 is you call and demand it.

NJRonbo
02-26-11, 09:23 PM
Ponyman,

Just that easy, eh?

I call them up and say I want Onstar for $148
and they will give it to me at that price?

Based on what?

smiley47
02-26-11, 10:08 PM
$148 is for Safe and Sound, not Directions and Connections. Well worth it in my opinion.

NJRonbo
02-26-11, 10:10 PM
$148 is for Safe and Sound, not Directions and Connections. Well worth it in my opinion.

Ah, okay. That's the one I wanted. Thought
it was $199.

That's a little better and worthy of a second thought.

NJRonbo
02-26-11, 10:14 PM
Ah, okay. That's the one I wanted. Thought
it was $199.

That's a little better and worthy of a second thought.

Actually, the Onstar website says $199 for SAFE AND SOUND.

So, I am still not confident that I can talk them down
from that.

smiley47
02-26-11, 10:19 PM
Actually, the Onstar website says $199 for SAFE AND SOUND.

So, I am still not confident that I can talk them down
from that.

Negotiate. Tell them your neighbor got that price. If they refuse, just say "well I'll just have to cancel". If they don't come around just call back later. You will get that price.

stealth97
02-26-11, 10:47 PM
I also like the car retrievel capability if the car is stolen. What do others think of this system? Has anyone had to use it?

cam30era
02-27-11, 06:43 AM
There is a way to prevent locking your FOB in the car. Programed via the Config menu. See page 5-45 of the owner's manual, copied below:

Power Door Locks
Select Power Door Locks and the
following will be displayed:
Unlocked Door Anti Lock Out
Auto Door Unlock
Delayed Door Lock
Unlocked Door Anti Lock Out
When on, this feature will keep the
driver door from locking when the
door is open. If Off is selected, the
Delayed Door Lock menu will be
available and the door will lock as
programmed through this menu.
Press the MENU/SELECT knob
when Auto Door Unlock is
highlighted. Turn the knob to select
On or Off. Press the knob to confirm
and go back to the last menu.

Ponyman
02-27-11, 09:10 AM
NJ, I am not in the habit of lying. You CAN get the Safe and Sound for $148 if you call and demand it. Tell them you have seen where many others are getting it for this price and they will give it to you. They DON"T advertise this price, but they are kind of like XM radio. Before they will let you cancel they WILL give you the $148.

NJRonbo
02-27-11, 09:16 AM
Ponyman,

Never thought you were lying.

Just didn't know how to finagle the deal.

I'll try it. Will check back soon.

etexlady
02-27-11, 01:17 PM
Anyone been able to negotiate a better price for Directions and Connections? I wish they would allow one to purchase that on a month to month basis. I tend to use it while traveling over the Christmas holidays or shopping trips to nearby Dallas or Houston. I see on their website that OnStar is teasing some new services in March.

Ponyman
02-27-11, 07:11 PM
I have not tried, but a GM rep at the oklahoma City car show last year told me that you could turn it on for only a month or two when you needed it. Like I said, I never tried it, but that was what she said. She was very knowledgeable about the SRX before we bought it, so she might have know what she was talking about.

Ponyman
02-27-11, 07:13 PM
As far as the $148 for Safe and Sound goes. We had called OnStar and told them not to renew us. They did offer a little better deal on Directions and Connections, but nothing great. About a week later I called them back and asked for the $148 and got it with no problem.

greyghost04
02-27-11, 07:39 PM
After 7 years of Onstar I want to say I like them for the first time. Their Onstar app for my smartphone is really cool. You can boot it and the first screen will show you gas left, miles left, average mileage and more. Next page has all the tire pressures. Now the cool part is you navigate to the Remote page and there is the button to push that starts your car. You could be anywhere in the world doing this! There is also a button to open locks and to beep horn and lights. When my free year is up I'll probably sign up for the $149 plan just to keep those features. :yup:

drjdan
02-27-11, 11:52 PM
I us all the time for destination download to nav system. That saves me from having manual entry before leaving. Can make changes in route without having to stop. The dest they download includes phone number if bus so can an easy call if need.

Also the remote start iPhone app is great. Don't have to worry about distance and it is two way so confirmation that is started.

NJRonbo
02-28-11, 07:30 AM
Their Onstar app for my smartphone is really cool.

Unfortunately only works for the 2011 vehicles from
what I understand.

2010sled
02-28-11, 02:11 PM
OnStar saved my freinds life 2 times now, and once i had started it and unlocked the doors then started talking to a freind.and just that fast it got taken the cops had him stoped arested and came. and got me and took me to my car. onstar will never have a car without it

stevec5375
02-28-11, 03:18 PM
OnStar saved my freinds life 2 times now, and once i had started it and unlocked the doors then started talking to a freind.and just that fast it got taken the cops had him stoped arested and came. and got me and took me to my car. onstar will never have a car without it

No offense intended, but is English your first language? I have a very difficult time making sense out of your posts.

TheCaptain
03-01-11, 01:48 PM
Just renewed my OnStar Directions and Connections for $456! Good old CDN/US dollar conversion raping :rant2: (even though our buck is worth more then yours! :duck:)

Nancy116
03-02-11, 02:36 AM
Their Onstar app for my smartphone is really cool. You can boot it and the first screen will show you gas left, miles left, average mileage and more. Next page has all the tire pressures.

You can't see this in the vehicle without having Onstar? This is all standard in my BMW, without Onstar, and I wasn't planning on getting it if I get an SRX.

cam30era
03-02-11, 06:49 AM
You can't see this in the vehicle without having Onstar? This is all standard in my BMW, without Onstar, and I wasn't planning on getting it if I get an SRX.

Yes, you can see all of this in the vehicle without OnStar. But if you want the app on your smart phone, you will need OnStar.

2010sled
03-02-11, 04:21 PM
No offense intended, but is English your first language? I have a very difficult time making sense out of your posts.

who realy cares any way, just be very thankful you are alive and driving the best crossover in the world.

what are you the spelling police:crying2:

stevec5375
03-02-11, 06:35 PM
who realy cares any way, just be very thankful you are alive and driving the best crossover in the world.

what are you the spelling police:crying2:

If you post sentences that make no sense, how do you expect those of us that attempt to read them to reply in a sensible manner? It seems that no matter how hard I try to not offend someone, there are always those that get upset no matter what. I said "No offense intended." but look what good it did me.

I don't know why I even bother sometimes. Good grief! :helpless:

TheCaptain
03-02-11, 06:57 PM
If you post sentences that make no sense, how do you expect those of us that attempt to read them to reply in a sensible manner? It seems that no matter how hard I try to not offend someone, there are always those that get upset no matter what. I said "No offense intended." but look what good it did me.

I don't know why I even bother sometimes. Good grief! :helpless:

Bad Steve! Go sit in the corner!:raspberry:

:duck::lolsign:

stevec5375
03-02-11, 07:12 PM
Bad Steve! Go sit in the corner!:raspberry:

:duck::lolsign:

OMG! Not you too! I give up.

Is it asking too much for you people to get your feelings off your shoulders?

GMJim
03-02-11, 07:58 PM
Heywhatstheproblemhereitsnobigdeal

smiley47
03-03-11, 08:01 AM
Heywhatstheproblemhereitsnobigdeal

You must not have seen the obscene comment posted by 2010sled last night that got him banned. It has since been removed. It was the foulest I've ever seen on an auto blog.

Well at least now he'll have time to work on his GED.

TheCaptain
03-03-11, 09:21 AM
Awww i missed that! What did it say? Can you cleanly safely recap for us?

Sorry steve, i had to! (Everybody else was hopping on the bandwagon, i figured i'd give it a try. Don't worry, its for the birds!)

smiley47
03-03-11, 09:30 AM
Sorry, there's no way to "pretty" that one up. Suffice it to say it was real bad. I saw it last night about 9 Central time and it was long gone this morning.

PJ1520
03-03-11, 10:26 AM
Steve.......I had reread the original post a few times myself but could not make any sense of it either. Had to give up and chalk it up to TWI where the T stands for typing. I realize that folks may be busy and in a hurry when they respond to a forum thread. But I thought your initial observation was as polite as it could have been. To me, internet etiquette does not mean no etiquette. Don't lose any sleep over it. I wouldn't.

PJ

GMJim
03-03-11, 10:57 AM
Plus one

Marc NY
03-03-11, 11:24 AM
OMG! Not you too! I give up.

Is it asking too much for you people to get your feelings off your shoulders?Hey Steve, TheCaptain was just having a little fun with ya thats all. :)

stevec5375
03-03-11, 12:54 PM
Well, thanks for the support. I am really trying not to upset anybody. It seems that I have this ability to post things that are easily misinterpreted. I guess I'm just going to have to use more emoticons to make sure people don't take things so seriously. :)

TheCaptain
03-04-11, 06:27 AM
Hey Steve, TheCaptain was just having a little fun with ya thats all. :)

Yea man, i was just screwing around. Don't feel bad eh! :bouncy:

Nancy116
03-05-11, 01:21 AM
Yes, you can see all of this in the vehicle without OnStar. But if you want the app on your smart phone, you will need OnStar.

Oh OK, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Sands442
03-05-11, 10:44 AM
Never activated the free subscription, never felt like I needed it, didn't like giving more people direct access to my location, and movements. If it were so great every manufacture would have their own version. They will hound you for months to renew, I must have had 20 last chances to renew.

PJ1520
03-07-11, 03:02 PM
I think the Onstar is worth it for a number of reasons stated, but just not for me. I already have enough "technology" subscriptions between my car (XM satellite radio), internet, cable TV, and my cell phones, among others. The ACCUMULATIVE cost of this stuff is reaching MORTGAGE PROPORTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

PJ

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 03:44 PM
Hey Sands,

OnStar has over 500 patents... i think that might be what's holding up the other brands from coming out with a similar service.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right.

NJRonbo
03-07-11, 03:45 PM
I know when I test drove the Lexus RSX last year they
were touting their own drivers-assist service. In fact,
the salesman had me connect to them while in the car.

stevec5375
03-07-11, 04:12 PM
I think the Onstar is worth it for a number of reasons stated, but just not for me. I already have enough "technology" subscriptions between my car (XM satellite radio), internet, cable TV, and my cell phones, among others. The ACCUMULATIVE cost of this stuff is reaching MORTGAGE PROPORTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

PJ

PJ, you said it! I'm probably going to drop OnStar and XM on the next renewal. I'm also looking for ways out of cable TV. What a waste of money. There's hardly every anything on I want to watch anyway.

pbyfind
03-07-11, 07:03 PM
I'm the same as you. I didn't renewbecause I couldn't figure out why it was worth the $. However, when I sent them an email telling them, I received a reply that for "security reasons" they would have to talk to me and for me to give them a call. I never did then learned they charged my Amex for another month. I called Amex and had the charge removed and I was not charged again.

RippyPartsDept
03-07-11, 09:01 PM
same reason that a credit card company has to talk to you over the phone before actually making any changes to your account
(to make sure you're you... ask you those security questions)
plus then they get a chance to get you back....

Life.Is.Good.
03-09-11, 01:23 PM
I think it IS worth renewing and paying for. We've used OnStar many times. From a stolen car recovery to unlocking the vehicle. Once while in another state, we had a large nail in the tire and Onstar helped us find the closest tire repair business (.5 miles away, 2 turns; we'd never have found it with Onstar's help). Even with us having cell phones, Onstar always works. I

want someone to help me or my kids when we get in an accident. I like the security of Onstar; have it on all 3 vehicles.

Kluch
03-11-11, 10:10 PM
We are huge onstar fans in my family. In fact, it is probably the single biggest reason we gravitate to GM products. My wife just got a Tahoe specifically because it has onstar and oher similar vehicles do not. It has helped us through many difgicult situations that a navigation system would not. When you are toting around 2 little kids the security onstar provides is well worth the 28 bucks/month. And lets be honest, if you can afford to drive a Cadillac, this really isn't breaking the bank.

newsrxowner
03-14-11, 12:22 PM
Just adding my 2 cents. I agree Onstar is worth the money BUT $200 is steep. When I called I got it for $149 + 300 phone minutes for $10. I have also had issues with them like I was once on hold for 15 minutes after a had spoken to a customer service person. I complained about the service and got an additional 3 months on the subscription. You will get it for $149 if you ask that's all I do is ask.