: Question for Admins/Mods; editing posts

MotownPimp
02-26-11, 03:34 PM
I tried to edit a post a couple days after posting. Could not do it. Yet, after first posting editing is allowed.

Why the difference?

How long do we have to edit?

Why not just leave edit on?

Am I full of questions or what?

RippyPartsDept
02-26-11, 03:39 PM
i think you have five minutes ... and maybe only once ... if you subscribe you get more time and unlimited edits ... if you go platinum the 'edited by' can be removed i think

http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

(i just edited this to add that link)

JimmyH
02-27-11, 07:16 PM
The reason you can only edit for limited time (I am pretty sure it is about 30 minutes for all members) is because the idea is that once you have posted something, it is there for posterity. I know some forums will allow you to edit your years-old posts, but that defeats the purpose of a forum like this.

If there is a legitimate reason to edit an old post, you must ask a moderator to edit it for you.

moved to feedback forum.

thebigjimsho
02-27-11, 07:23 PM
Also, if you incriminate yourself in a sh1tstorm, you can't go back later to absolve yourself or delete your posts to make someone else look the fool...

JimmyH
02-27-11, 07:27 PM
^^says the guy who if he had to find one of his old posts, it would be a needle in a hay stack :D

ThumperPup
02-27-11, 09:34 PM
i think you have five minutes ... and maybe only once ... if you subscribe you get more time and unlimited edits ... if you go platinum the 'edited by' can be removed i think

http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

(i just edited this to add that link)

i am not plat but i dont think i have the edited by i think aslong as you subscribe and donate that goes away

MotownPimp
02-27-11, 10:23 PM
So, even if I sign up to pay homage, I can't edit after X time?

Guys, so be it but I am the Admin on a sports collectible site and have been a mod on two large Z sites. Shutting down edit was never an issue. Your paranoia is exceeding your common sense.

Of course, I say the above in the kindest possible way!

JimmyH
02-27-11, 10:31 PM
And when you own your own Cadillac site, you can run it however you see fit.

Lord Cadillac
03-02-11, 05:05 PM
Way back in the beginning, we had a disgruntled member (argued with other members in the community and left) come back and delete ALL his valuable posts/information. Things like that ruin the value of a community. That never happened again..

For whatever reason, even I have the "edited by" displaying in my own edited posts. So for some reason, it's not working as it should be...