: Removing Catalyitic Converters

karolko
02-26-11, 01:11 PM
I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko

alarmu12
02-26-11, 06:31 PM
The xlr does have o2 sensors front and back of the converter. There are some nice exhaust systems available for the xlr for plus or minus $1500.

deadringer
02-27-11, 04:24 PM
I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko

The exhaust manifold and cats are one assembly - so you'd have to remove them to cut them and then try to build something to replace the cats... since they are cast iron I think that would take some work.

Perhaps you can get D3 to make you some headers that do not have cats...

As for the ECM - you can remove the rear O2 sensors and disable to the trouble code for them when you get a re-tune for it.

What you're trying to do is not going to be cheap... but good luck. :)

karolko
03-01-11, 05:14 PM
Man i hate this car. Everything that should be done performance wise is like pulling teeth. I guess i am going to leave this thing along, let me my mom drive the thing, keep my hair, and buy a ZR1.

Thanks for the info guys,

Adrian

deadringer
03-02-11, 01:00 PM
I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage... :bouncy:

GizmoQ
03-02-11, 01:40 PM
I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage... :bouncy:

And a knowledgeable tuner can disable the rear O2 sensors, remove the speed limiter, change the shift points, etc., in no time - thanks Jesse.

Why don't you just find a reputable muffler shop, have them drop the front of the cat-back and ream out the insides of the cats with them still on the vehicle.

jimmbo
03-06-11, 09:57 AM

Adrian Karolko

Provincially we don't have auto emission standards, however there are federal regulaions. I would certainly like to know which 'reputable muffler shops would deliberately disable/destroy these systems"

z06bigbird
03-24-11, 01:44 AM
Not sure of the name of these muffler shops, but return address for some of their personnel is something like Leavinworth, Kansas. 66048. Certainly, Quebec zip will be different.