: Cannonball Run Sept 3/2011

97EldoCoupe
02-26-11, 07:05 AM
I am seriously considering entering the cannonball run. I wanted to last year already I just didn't have the chance at the time with the move and the money and all.

Just recently- two days ago my former employee John lost his father to a freak accident on a construction site. The funeral is Monday. Everyone has been shaken up including myself and it just goes to show how quickly and how easily you can lose your life.

While I'm still young and still alive and have the chance, I want to make this run. If I do, you all know what I'll be driving, right? Something with a Northstar. Something modified slightly. Of course it'll have my studs in it. I'm pretty sure it'll be a Cadillac body. Very sure. Just not sure what type - the Eldorado, Seville, or Deville/Concours-

I always loved the way my '98 STS handled- I believe even better than the ETC. Like it was on rails. The Bonneville GXP I had stopped on a nickel (forget the dime) with the 18" rims, BFG's, and massive front brakes with two piston calipers.

I know who my partner will be if I can get him involved in the race too- Jake Guenther, my occasional shop assistant/delivery driver. The only guy I ever knew who jumped a one-ton Dodge dually and had the whole truck in the air. I've seen his driving skills and nothing short of astounding.

The only thing holding me back is the fear of losing my drivers' license. I guess if speeds are kept to something reasonable that shouldn't be too much of an issue. My dad told me I'm crazy if I try this, (I know I'm crazy but that's beside the point) and I somewhat agree, but driving 100mph on dry pavement with minimal traffic is no more dangerous than doing 50MPH on a sheet of ice (bad weather conditions).

Obviously the car is going to have to be thoroughly gone over, all bushings, brake parts, suspension components replaced or at minimum; inspected. All belts, hoses, accessories must be new, I believe I'd be making some modifications and add safety features:

-a kill switch in the cockpit for the fuel pump
-stainless fuel rail, and stainless fuel lines (in place of any nylon).
-braided stainless brake hoses, new calipers and master cylinder
-small fire extinguisher in the car just in case
-ensure all wiring and grounds to the ABTCM is in good condition, new wheel bearings, etc.

Any thoughts on entering this race with a FWD N* Caddy?

vincentm
02-26-11, 12:00 PM
You know what i'm going to suggest you drive :eyes:

RippyPartsDept
02-26-11, 12:23 PM
that would be totally EPIC

edit: their website (just to save everyone some time) http://cannonballworld.com/

97EldoCoupe
02-26-11, 01:20 PM
I am choosing between my 1999 Cadillac STS black on black (new addition) or my 97 black on black ETC. I'm going to get my ETC's HG's done and drive it for the next 30 days and see how I like the handling of it. I remember my '98 STS and that thing was like a rocket sled on rails. I remember taking corners on the Trans Canada highway at 120 km/h where it recommended 60km/h and I wasn't scared or nervous in the least. I had a firm footing on the road, General Exclaim UHP Z rated rubber, so smooth- so tight in the turns...

ThumperPup
02-26-11, 04:46 PM
take the Seville on that run
thats what im going to say show them what power a 99 STS has
ooooooo you need a partner in the passanger seat ? a navigator or anything if so hit me up man pick me me me

auroradude
02-28-11, 02:00 AM
I am doing the Bullrun this year, i got a 10k entry fee instead of 20. We are splitting it 3 ways. Taking the '09 CTS-V..it's going to be SICK! Balls out 160mph driving all the way across the US. No stopping for anything, not even cops.

ThumperPup
02-28-11, 09:02 AM
I am doing the Bullrun this year, i got a 10k entry fee instead of 20. We are splitting it 3 ways. Taking the '09 CTS-V..it's going to be SICK! Balls out 160mph driving all the way across the US. No stopping for anything, not even cops.

oooooooooooooo you going to end up in jail
just kidding man but be carfull dude