: Spoke hub cap installation

WOLVERCOTE
02-25-11, 01:46 PM
How tight are hub caps supposed to fit. 87 brougham. There is a 1/4-1/2" gap between rim and cap, are they supposed to fit flush against rim? Hit one side and other side pops out. Hate to lose one. Thanks

brougham
02-26-11, 05:34 PM
A lot of those hub caps are cheap and depend on the lock bolt in the middle to hold them on. The sides should sit pretty close to the rim tho.

creeker
02-26-11, 06:29 PM
A lot of those hub caps are cheap and depend on the lock bolt in the middle to hold them on. The sides should sit pretty close to the rim tho.

Wouldn't they have the two locking tabs ?.

AElayyat
02-28-11, 12:20 AM
The weight used for balance gets in the way...I know from experience...

WOLVERCOTE
02-28-11, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't they have the two locking tabs ?.

They are original caps, have part # stamped on rear. I finally pounded 2 on, pretty good fit, still a minor gap. Will the locking mechanism keep them from falling off?

creeker
02-28-11, 01:08 PM
They are original caps, have part # stamped on rear. I finally pounded 2 on, pretty good fit, still a minor gap. Will the locking mechanism keep them from falling off?

Does yours have one or two locks on them?, do you have a key to secure them with ?.

brougham
02-28-11, 03:43 PM
I think by the mid 80s they all had the wire hubcaps with the red centre you pop out to get to the lock bolt.

creeker
02-28-11, 04:58 PM
I think by the mid 80s they all had the wire hubcaps with the red centre you pop out to get to the lock bolt.

Good to know, I was comparing with my 80 cdv. with the two locks on it.