: Oil leak

RicktheRealtor
02-24-11, 09:38 PM
Superjim, anything new with your oil leak?

Superjim
02-24-11, 10:00 PM
Superjim, anything new with your oil leak?

I thought I had updated the thread...
They fixed the oil leak on the valve/cam cover and the oil leak on the case half seal.

About 3,000 miles since then and the oil level is still the same as when I picked it up.
I have been watching it real close... LOL

RicktheRealtor
02-24-11, 10:41 PM
Must have missed the thread while I was away on holiday. I hope it's fixed for good. When I had the case half seal done, I never had another drop leak. The guy who did the repair was very good and he knew what he was doing. Fortunately, my valve covers never leaked.
Good luck with it!

_ike_
02-24-11, 10:46 PM
At what mileage did these leaks start?

Thanks

Superjim
02-25-11, 08:39 AM
At what mileage did these leaks start?

Thanks

90,000+
They were very small leaks.
I have "NEVER" had a drop of oil on the garage floor.
"I" didn't even know it was leaking, till I asked my dealer to check the car from one end to the other... while it was still under warranty.
The dealer called it "SEEPS"...
I could have probably driven it a long, long time and never knew it had a small leak.

But, since a leak will only get worse...not better, I had the dealer go ahead and fix it while it was still under warranty.

More like PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE than fixing an actual problem.

Texas Jim

clusco
02-25-11, 12:35 PM
I've owned 6 Cadillacs in my lifetime (STS, Deville and now DTS) and every single 1 of them had oil leaks on the carport. Recently I tried to have the dealer fix it and since then I've been having problems with the car and had it in the shop every other week for the past 2 months, mostly ignition coils going out like popcorn. Could this be related at all?

RicktheRealtor
02-25-11, 12:43 PM
Mine had about 48000 miles on her. By coincidence (?), I had just had the oil changed and decided to try synthetic for the first time. Within days, oil started gushing like the Exxon Valdez. To this day, I'll never know if that had anything to do with it.

_ike_
02-26-11, 12:43 AM
Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye out for leaks. I will also be having the car checked out soon, I don't quite trust that it has been checked out before I bought it.

bluescat
02-26-11, 08:49 AM
Just took my new (to me) '06 DTS Performance with 87,000 miles to the dealer for an oil change and a good going over. They found a half case leak ($3500) and a bad tie rod (coupla hundred). The extended warranty I purchased for $2200 three months ago has already paid for itself, as both are covered, and I will pay only a hundred bucks total. Plus, who knows what else they will find during this repair. The dealer loves it, since the more they find the more they make, and I love it because I get the car restored to nearly new for next to nothing. I've never had an extended warranty that didn't pay for itself, except once, and then it was close enough to call it a wash.

Superjim
02-26-11, 09:49 AM
Just took my new (to me) '06 DTS Performance with 87,000 miles to the dealer for an oil change and a good going over. They found a half case leak ($3500) and a bad tie rod (coupla hundred). The extended warranty I purchased for $2200 three months ago has already paid for itself, as both are covered, and I will pay only a hundred bucks total. Plus, who knows what else they will find during this repair. The dealer loves it, since the more they find the more they make, and I love it because I get the car restored to nearly new for next to nothing. I've never had an extended warranty that didn't pay for itself, except once, and then it was close enough to call it a wash.

VERY GOOD...
Glad yo are getting all fixed up. :cloud9:

Texas Jim

_ike_
02-27-11, 12:28 AM
Do you guys know if the CPO warranty will cover leaks such as these?

Superjim
02-27-11, 01:12 AM
Do you guys know if the CPO warranty will cover leaks such as these?

Yes it will.

ltdltc
02-28-11, 02:52 PM
My valve cover starting leaking @70k. Had it fixed under warranty (they broke other stuff when they did) seemed to have stopped, now it started leaking again at 101k. They replaced the valve cover and gasket. And as a added bonus the coolant crossover is leaking at 110k.

I'm not so sure GM worked out all of the bugs in regards to the engines ability to hold its own fluids. Wouldn't surprise me in the least when the half case starts to leak...