: We seriously need to get more XLR owners in here.. Any ideas?

Lord Cadillac
02-24-11, 03:58 PM
Let's figure out a way to get more action in here for Cadillac XLR owners. This is the busiest Cadillac website online with the exception of Cadillac.com.. It's a crime that we don't have a busy XLR section...

DTS Diamond
02-25-11, 04:07 PM
Most of the XLR owners and wantabes are on the 2 XLR only sites. I happen to own several different Cadillacs so I belong to this Site also. Doug-J

ccclarke
02-25-11, 05:34 PM
I think a big part of the problem you describe is due in large part to the smaller owner base to cater to. This site has
always been weak when it comes to owners submitting threads describing cause and effect. Without access to a Tech 2, even simple issues become problematic and require an experienced dealer's tech to diagnose. The XLR isn't much of a DIY car when it comes to problems.

Beefing up the XLR-related info on a FAQ or something similar couldn't hurt; there simply isn't any appreciable source material here to make it a serious, go-to site for XLR owners. Yet.

--Now, the CTS-V . . . this site rocks! It's THE place to learn about the vehicle and interact with lots of savy owners. I read every single post prior to buying my CTS-V and there wasn't a salesman at the dealership who could come close to helping me the way this site did.

23 pages containing 575 threads spanning eight years is a pretty good indicator there's a problem. Without buffing this site's XLR content up, it's likely to stay slow indefinately. The CTS-V section adds this much content in a month!

Owners will find the sites that have the info they seek. Post it and they will come, because you're right --this is a heavily-hit Cadillac owners site, and it's a shame the XLR section doesn't reflect that.

Just my .02

CC

alarmu12
02-25-11, 07:47 PM
I do my best to keep the site going, but i have noticed lately, no one is saying anything. You can see where many people have looked at the site, but have made no comments.
I have tried to find anyone in southern calif. To even get together. I have stopped at gas stations, when i see one and tried to get something going, but they just seem to be people who bought them to drive like a standard car and had no interest in clubs or repairs. Most were beat up enough, i would not want them.
I do appreciate the help i have received on this site, but fortunate for me i am under warranty. Mine has been in the dealership one week per month, since i have owned it.
In the last 6 months i have had replaced a water pump, horns, rh and lh of dash push buttons, power steering pump, rear spring, the transmission rebuilt, gas tank replaced, top cuts repainted due to poor adjustment of trunk, new lower grille, all under fender liners were cracked, aerial dropping out, bad oxygen sensor, now my traction control light is on.
I still love my baby. I never drive it in the rain and it is polished every day before it leaves the garage. I have owned a lot of fine cars, but i have never owned one that gets the attention that this one gets when i am driving it.

GizmoQ
02-26-11, 03:06 AM
I guess we could start with renaming this forum. There were no XLRs built in 2010. :hide:

I agree with DTS Diamond, most of the XLR folks are over there on the XLR-only sites.

But I do foresee a great opportunity coming in the next year or two. Seeing as the used car market is about to see an influx of these vehicles (i.e., warranties expiring), I believe a lot of younger buyers are going to start showing up (its already starting). Modifications like Stiegemeier's Snake Bite, Spectre's Intake (coming soon, hopefully), and D3's headers will increase the DIY modders in this younger demographic. And don't forget, all the things alarmu12 mentioned he had done at the dealer, these folks will want to try to fix themselves.

You just need a hook. Right now I'd say the environment here is your best asset. A little more playful, fun-loving, openness. But ya gotta get'em here. Expertise like CCClarke helps, but like he said adding XLR-specific source material would help.

I got it -the one thing no one has done that you could is to promote the similarities of the XLR-V and the STS-V drivetrains. There are lots of mods and info flowing throughout the STS-V forum here - that's how I found out about the Snake Bite. Somehow tie the two together and there's your hook! Are there like similarities between the base models?

Lord Cadillac
02-26-11, 12:44 PM
Okay, so I updated the name of the forum. Thank you! And I agree that we could use some XLR-specific information - maybe as stickies.. But what type of information is needed? Year to year difference? Specifications? And in regards to an influx of younger people looking to buy XLRs out of warranty - that sounds really good. If we can have what they need here before they start researching on Google (for example), that would help out quite a bit. I think the "information" is the way to go. I just don't know where to begin...

karolko
02-26-11, 01:19 PM
Newbie here. I am on the other boards, but what the hell. I am also into the old 500 big blocks as well so it's a start.

Adrian

RippyPartsDept
02-26-11, 01:57 PM
welcome aboard Adrian!

Lord Cadillac
02-28-11, 01:47 PM
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up!

Newbie here. I am on the other boards, but what the hell. I am also into the old 500 big blocks as well so it's a start.

Adrian

sacmike1
05-19-11, 01:49 PM
I have a 2007 XLR would like to join a club but cant find anything. How do i start? Im in Sacramento and it would be nice to find something local.

skibum2
06-12-11, 03:24 PM
I have just purchased a 2006 XLR-V and am still searching out the sites to find information on the car. Reading the other sites that I have found has let me know that these cars are in a class by themselves. Being a motor head does not even help with these complex cars.. Any tech. info or a good question-answer page would help. Beautiful car

GizmoQ
06-12-11, 10:05 PM
I have just purchased a 2006 XLR-V and am still searching out the sites to find information on the car. Reading the other sites that I have found has let me know that these cars are in a class by themselves. Being a motor head does not even help with these complex cars.. Any tech. info or a good question-answer page would help. Beautiful car

Welcome to the forum! The XLR is definitely a rare car. Unfortunately a motorhead is wasted on this car. The Northstar is difficult at best to work on and given the extensive electronics integration may get frustrating fast.

skibum2
06-13-11, 07:25 PM
Yep, you are so right...NOW all I do is look for the best polish to make my baby shine...AND I can hear the radio now, not like my AC...

01_Ram-Air
07-06-11, 01:22 AM
I guess we could start with renaming this forum. There were no XLRs built in 2010. :hide:

I agree with DTS Diamond, most of the XLR folks are over there on the XLR-only sites.

But I do foresee a great opportunity coming in the next year or two. Seeing as the used car market is about to see an influx of these vehicles (i.e., warranties expiring), I believe a lot of younger buyers are going to start showing up (its already starting). Modifications like Stiegemeier's Snake Bite, Spectre's Intake (coming soon, hopefully), and D3's headers will increase the DIY modders in this younger demographic. And don't forget, all the things alarmu12 mentioned he had done at the dealer, these folks will want to try to fix themselves.

You just need a hook. Right now I'd say the environment here is your best asset. A little more playful, fun-loving, openness. But ya gotta get'em here. Expertise like CCClarke helps, but like he said adding XLR-specific source material would help.

I got it -the one thing no one has done that you could is to promote the similarities of the XLR-V and the STS-V drivetrains. There are lots of mods and info flowing throughout the STS-V forum here - that's how I found out about the Snake Bite. Somehow tie the two together and there's your hook! Are there like similarities between the base models?

I think you hit the nail on the head. As these cars have got older, the warranties have expired, and they've depreciated significantly. This creates a shift in the age demographics that now own the car. Not a lot of people can afford a $80,000+ vehicle and the result is an older age crowd that doesn't want to be out turning wrenches on their new pride and joy (not saying everyone, but speaking in 'general' terms). Now, we're 7 years later (and the last year most banks are willing to finance an 04) and you can pick up an XLR for $20,000+ it opens up the buyer's market to a different age demographic. Since the warranties are expired/expiring, we can't just take the car to the dealer, have the problem fixed, and have everything covered for free under that lovely warranty. Since it cost quite a bit to have anything done at the dealership, you're going to see people trying to figure out how to do it themselves. In return, people going through some trial and errors will provide great resource of first hand experience. In addition, I think you'll see more people trying to get some more ponies out of this little 289 cu in. motor since we're not concerned with voiding the warranty. I know I would have appreciated a nice LS2, LS3, or LS7 N/A motor. I think cadillac did well with the V series, but having a LS-based motor supercharged would have been killer. But, we'll still figure out how to make some power out of the 4.6L. The Ford guys have figured it out. I'm sure there's quite a bit that can be gained from having a tuner play around for a bit and tune the car. I actually fit this profile pretty well.. I'm a gearhead that owns a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am. It's a drag car that's street legal. I'm 29 and bought the car for my wife who's 27. Instead of having the dealer turn the rear rotors and put on new pads for $289, I bought all new drilled/slotted rotors and pads off eBay for $205 and I'll throw my buddy a few bucks to slap them on at his "side-job" shop. One of the first things I was researching was new intakes. There's a good 10 hp and 1/2 - 1 mpg increase and I would bet even more coupled with a new tune. Again, not concerned with voiding any warranties. As we start our ventures, we'll be needing expert advise from guys like you all that have owned these cars since the beginning. We definitely need the XLR specific information.

LORD CADILLAC: You mentioned the XLR information was the way to go, but didn't know where to start... As a new XLR owner, this is the type of information I was looking for:

How many of my car were made? So, straight facts on production numbers would be a key. How many of each year, each color offered, each interior/exterior combo, etc.
04-05 XLR owners will want to know everything there is about the Headlight issue.
A list of every recall that was issued on each year
What are the common failure/problematic issues. What are tips of maintenance to help avoid any further issues.
What similarities does the XLR have with other vehs? We know it shares the same platform as the C6, but let's get specific. What exactly is the same and what appears to be but is not? What parts are interchangeable?
What are the tricks of the trade with this car? Meaning... hold this button and that button at the same time for 10 seconds and (x) will be reset.
What does XLR even stand for? (Is it.. eXperimental Luxury Roadster?)
What bolt pattern and offset are needed for aftermarket rims? How big of a rim can you go? How wide? How big of a tire can you stuff out back?
Horsepower... tell me how I can make more! What other options do we have other than D3 Performance? Do they own the market? What are all the basic bolt-on options? Who can tune these cars?

Jesda
07-06-11, 02:58 AM
Honestly?

Because Cadillac sold four of them, maybe five.

ccclarke
07-06-11, 12:35 PM
LORD CADILLAC: You mentioned the XLR information was the way to go, but didn't know where to start... As a new XLR owner, this is the type of information I was looking for:

How many of my car were made? So, straight facts on production numbers would be a key. How many of each year, each color offered, each interior/exterior combo, etc.
04-05 XLR owners will want to know everything there is about the Headlight issue.
A list of every recall that was issued on each year
What are the common failure/problematic issues. What are tips of maintenance to help avoid any further issues.
What similarities does the XLR have with other vehs? We know it shares the same platform as the C6, but let's get specific. What exactly is the same and what appears to be but is not? What parts are interchangeable?
What are the tricks of the trade with this car? Meaning... hold this button and that button at the same time for 10 seconds and (x) will be reset.
What does XLR even stand for? (Is it.. eXperimental Luxury Roadster?)
What bolt pattern and offset are needed for aftermarket rims? How big of a rim can you go? How wide? How big of a tire can you stuff out back?
Horsepower... tell me how I can make more! What other options do we have other than D3 Performance? Do they own the market? What are all the basic bolt-on options? Who can tune these cars?[/QUOTE]

Nearly every question you pose has been answered in the various XLR forums. As you go through them, you'll see many of the same questions repeated because folks want a fast answer without doing any work themselves. Search is your friend. For any prospective owner I highly recommend reading EVERY online post before you purchase an XLR to make an informed decision. It's worth the time.

The only engine swap I've seen for an XLR was a guy who gutted one and converted it into a dragster. Then destroyed it. So while you may see wistful owners talking about an engine swapout, it's just that --talk. Modifying this car invites all kinds of functionality issues since the Northstar is so integrated with the rest of the vehicle's systems. It's not impossible, just technically impractical and not financially feasible for all but a very few. If you want more horsepower, buy an XLR-V; don't waste your time and money on a base model.

Basically, this car is too complex for the majority of DIY's. Without a Tech 2, you're pretty much stuck, unless you want to guess your way to a fix, and parts aren't cheap enough to do that.

Due to the low production volume, system integration, N* powerplant, mods are few, and experts are rare. The LS engines have a long history of mods, and gurus to create them. Not likely for the XLR. D3 is it if you want any serious changes. Few owners want to let someone with no experience on the XLR experiment with their vehicles. Would you?

I agree with your comment regarding demographics. Younger, less affluent buyers will snap these up, thinking they've gotten a great deal only to find out they can't afford the keep the vehicles maintained. Price of ownership is high --no matter what somone pays to get in. Headights and shocks are still $1k each.

There's an oft-repeated myth that dealers charge more, when in fact, you're getting someone who's been trained on the vehicle and know what they're doing (most of the time, --but not always.) Take this car to an independent garage and just see what happens if you think you're gonna save a buck. In most cases, you're going to pay for the mechanic's training-- on your car! Unless it's something simple like exhaust, brakes, or wheels it isn't worth the frustration and hassle. Buy a shop manual and you'll get an inkling of what I mean. An alternator replacement costs a small fortune and requires lifting the engine!

The numbers speak for themselves. Compare the number of XLR posts on this site to say, the '04 CTS-V. They post more in a week than the XLR section does in a year. And the XLR section will always have a higher question than answer rate.

CC

alarmu12
07-10-11, 12:10 AM
This is the only article that has brought this much feed back. If you will look at the other questions on other articles, you will see that only a couple of people make a comment about it, but between 10 and 200 people have read it. I think it is like school, only one person raises their hand, while all of the others are scared to look bad saying something wrong.

GizmoQ
07-10-11, 12:15 PM
This is the only article that has brought this much feed back. If you will look at the other questions on other articles, you will see that only a couple of people make a comment about it, but between 10 and 200 people have read it. I think it is like school, only one person raises their hand, while all of the others are scared to look bad saying something wrong.

Naw, just nothing to add. ;)

captainfrank51
07-16-11, 05:06 PM
This is the type of thing I'd be interested in as well. I recently joined when i was looking for info on a power module for the other caddy. A 1984 fleetwood formal with only 15 k. The XLR which is an 06 had more than that when I bought as it came off lease in Sept. 2009. Mine has been very good, and I love it. I drove an Allante for 20 years before the XLR And always liked it.

Johnxlrv
06-17-12, 05:10 PM
What I want from this forum...well, I am one of the less affluent folks who would rather do some serious preventative maintenance on this strange XLRV than pay a dealer to do the work. So, aside from oil changes and applying some mothers to all of those roof gasket parts (thankfully, you can stop the roof in any position), there must be some learnings from all of you that I can apply to keep this baby healthy.

Also in agreement with other posts...needs to be a local owner's club in my no. Cal area.

Rolex
07-21-12, 02:35 PM
Everyone is on Facebook - link over there, and that'll help. Also, just like LeTip, invite two friends...

Hey FNG, why not invite all your XLR owner friends here? :hmm:

RippyPartsDept
07-21-12, 02:37 PM
Hey FNG, why not invite all your XLR owner friends here? :hmm:
:yeah:

RADARB8
07-22-12, 05:43 PM
could not have said it better myself...Maybe Lindsay could be of help here..They have a great reputation, i would love to have them chime in and get involved...Anyway, i flew down to Florida sat. and bought an o4 silver with ebony int. to match my 06 CTS-V...I drove it 1,300miles back to Balto with about 3 pit stops along the way and i loved it...So, i now am a true XLR man....I am putting it up on my lift tomorrow Monday and taking a good look and the underside to see the similarities it has with the C5 vette i owned...
A new radiator was put in last week and a new roof motor, sensors etc. etc. has been done in the last year. so hopefully the power steering and other problems don't pop up... seeya Greg O.

Kindovaz
08-04-12, 08:14 PM
How about an XLR Club ???? Lets start one if they don,t exist

XLR CLUB OF AMERICA - Just got a 2006 with 9,000 original miles (red) - would love to rally with it !! Maybe Vegas or ?

pauliecadillac
02-15-13, 03:45 PM
103916 Get attention it does. Everywere u go it turns heads. I picked up my 2005 crimson pearl in july. It's only been six months and I have waxed it 5 times. People cannot believe it is a 05. When the roof is down it is so exciting. I still cannot get over the ease in which it accelerates. Smooth as silk.......

RADARB8
02-17-13, 06:43 PM
The crimson red is IMO the best looking color....There are not too many XLR's in the Md. Va DC Pa area..I have only seen 2 in my life around here...My silver XLR with Ebony interior was all that was available..and I had to fly to Fl. to get it...

Johnxlrv
02-18-13, 07:30 PM
Like the silver...does not show dust.

Saw my first XLR in Florida myself...most cars of that initial price, I never really paid attention to...but after sitting in it, I was instantly hooked.

No local clubs in the Bay area either...have been invited to join a vette club lol

RADARB8
02-18-13, 09:58 PM
Like the silver...does not show dust.

Saw my first XLR in Florida myself...most cars of that initial price, I never really paid attention to...but after sitting in it, I was instantly hooked.

No local clubs in the Bay area either...have been invited to join a vette club lol

Your right about that.....The silver platinum looks clean even after driving in the rain. I do like that.. My black corvettte I would take to rallys and after driving only 12 miles I would have to feather dust it down.. Looked as if I hadn't washed it in weeks..lol Anyway I reside in Howard Co. between DC and Balto. and like I said I have only seen 2 in my life......