: What are you thinking your next car will be?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-11, 09:25 PM
I could have sworn I made a thread just like this not too long ago, but I searched "your next car" in the lounge search box, and nothing came up, so here goes again....

Since I only own one car, I'm gonna be talking about what I replace it with.

I really like the supercharged 3800, and my Regal in general. It's powerful, fast, reliable, fun to drive, fairly luxurious and cheap to own...painlessly cheap to own. The Regal could definitely improve in interior space, interior design and a smooth ride. It's not rough by any means, but I like cars that are quiet and soft..

I'd like to own a Cadillac again, but as a daily driver, I want something newer so it's easy to find parts and service for it, but nothing too new, because I don't want a super high payment and the newer a car is, the more expensive it is to insure and license. Aside from the '08+ CTS, none of the 00+ Cadillacs really do anything for me, aside from the '99-00 Escalade and '00-02 Eldorado Touring Coupe, but those are getting so old now it would be hard to get a loan for them, and a warranty for the Eldorado..

All of the Cadillacs I really like are too big and too old to make good daily drivers.

So that makes my decision pretty simple..

1997-05 Buick Park Avenue Ultra.
-90% the space and luxury of the Deville, at 70% the cost, with a more reliable drivetrain, better fuel economy and aftermarket support/modifiability.
- It's got everything I like about the Regal, on a firmer chassis, with more space, more luxury items and a softer ride.

I almost bought a '99 Park Avenue Ultra instead of the '00 Regal GS, but at that time, I wanted the smaller, sportier car and I really wanted the floor shift and center console. Looking back on it now, I wish I would have gone with the Ultra, but I'm very satisfied with the GS.

No idea on timeline, not for a long time...a few years or so. Just something I like to think/talk about.

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 09:30 PM
I thinking it would be a STS that is certified used lower miles maybe 07-10 something that i could still extrend the warranty threw GM with
possibly looking for a Red Black or diamond white perhaps

for sure it will have GPS factory if not ill find a used one and put it in
thinking maybe a sts -4 because my driveway has been a pain to get up in the winter in lol

maybe a V but not if im going to be staying up in the snow

if its not a STS
then it will be a Lexus GS also Certified still under warranty maybe a 06-10 perhaps
fully loaded

Or if a 03 sts in mint condition pops out of the wood works at a low cheap price id grab that but that would be the exception to you get what you paid for

hueterm
02-23-11, 09:31 PM
Um...Saturday. (Barring some kind of problem or event...)

Um...Chicago...twice in a week...

Um...2008 DTS Performance Platinum, Black/Black, and probably every option.

AND....no more ETC. (I'll have to sell the Concours and white RMW on my own, later.)

(Same white RMW, which by the way, just lost all its brake fluid at the storage warehouse. I barely got it back outside, so it could be towed tomorrow.)

I'm looking forward to only having to deal w/one old car out of warranty. (Since I've already rebuilt half of it...) I don't count the '70 GP in that BTW, since it has to be restored...

ga_etc
02-23-11, 09:33 PM
After spending time with the Roadmaster, I really want a '94-'96 Fleetwood.

Destroyer
02-23-11, 10:43 PM
There definitely was another thread like this. My answer remains the same, an '85-'86 Porsche 928 but I'm open to all years. :thumbsup:

ben.gators
02-23-11, 10:45 PM
There definitely was another thread like this. My answer remains the same, an '85-'86 Porsche 928 but I'm open to all years. :thumbsup:

What about a nice N* powered Cadillac? :D

ga_etc
02-23-11, 11:07 PM
He would use it as a trade in on the 928.

Destroyer
02-23-11, 11:21 PM
What about a nice N* powered Cadillac? :Dlol, yeah right! There is no "nice N* powered Cadillac". Period! :helpless:

Stingroo
02-23-11, 11:37 PM
Me? An LT1 wood-delete Roadmaster wagon. Or a 94-96 FWB. I'd prefer the wagon though, in all honesty.

gary88
02-23-11, 11:50 PM
I'd like to be in an E92 M3 next, aiming for about 3-4 years from now.

ryannel2003
02-24-11, 12:00 AM
I don't know to be honest. If I could find a really clean, low mileage '03 STS I'd grab that in a heartbeat. But lately I've been liking the '04-'08 Acura TL's and the TSX's myself, and that would be a nice change from my Seville. Can't rule out a nice '08+ CTS or STS, though I'm not a huge fan of the latter. DTS is a consideration also.

CTSV_Rob
02-24-11, 12:15 AM
CTS-V wagon would be my frist choice. How cool would it be to be able to get all of your track gear and tires into the car and then have a little fun at the track?

Will probably not be my next car though, I am looking for a commuter and the Chevy Cruze ECO edition (with the manual gear box of course) looks slick and the price is right. an ECO in 2LT trim would list for just under 20K. Not bad for a brandy new car but I plan to test drive first to see if I can deal with going from 450 HP to around 160 HP (flywheel HP of course). Also, to see how "cheap" it feels.

Jesda
02-24-11, 12:28 AM
It would be nice if the Hyundai Genesis sedan was available for under 10 grand in 5 years. The 2006 DTS is within reach right now, and they have a strong reputation for reliability.

I'm also open to a Saab 9-5 wagon or Mazda 6 hatchback.

drewsdeville
02-24-11, 12:33 AM
I'm really thinking about a diesel VW still, but something tells me that when it actually comes time to buy, I'll be too cheap to fork over the money.

Therefore, I speculate that my next car will either be some family hand-me-down that would otherwise have gotten junked or a sub-$2k craigslist gem :) No idea on make or model; can't be picky when you don't have to shell out the green.

Playdrv4me
02-24-11, 12:34 AM
XLR, C6 Vette or G500. No idea when.

GizmoQ
02-24-11, 12:34 AM
A red 2002 collectors edition convertible sometime in the next 3 years.

hueterm
02-24-11, 12:50 AM
It would be nice if the Hyundai Genesis sedan was available for under 10 grand in 5 years. The 2006 DTS is within reach right now, and they have a strong reputation for reliability.

I'm also open to a Saab 9-5 wagon or Mazda 6 hatchback.

I'll let you know how it goes...if there's a way to buck the trend, I'm sure mine will...

orconn
02-24-11, 12:51 AM
A 2008 Jaguar XJ8 Vandenplas, preferably dark blue with a maganolia interior with blue piping!

Playdrv4me
02-24-11, 12:57 AM
Now we're talkin'! An Orconn worthy ride.

Aron9000
02-24-11, 02:22 AM
A 2008 Jaguar XJ8 Vandenplas, preferably dark blue with a maganolia interior with blue piping!

NICE!!!

Personally I'd do a last gen XK Coupe. You always see the convertibles, but I think the coupe has much sexier lines.

Realistically I think a Mazda Miata might be my next purchase.

Jesda
02-24-11, 02:58 AM
Also, a Nissan 350Z would be awesome. They're total douchebag cars, but some would say that its rather fitting for me :histeric:

DouglasJRizzo
02-24-11, 09:03 AM
For me, my next purchase will be Ford, most likely a Fiesta or Focus. Right now, to my eyes, Ford is the company to watch.

billc83
02-24-11, 09:26 AM
Also, a Nissan 350Z would be awesome. They're total douchebag cars, but some would say that its rather fitting for me :histeric:

My boss drives a 350Z, and he is certainly no douchebag.

billc83
02-24-11, 09:33 AM
I'm not 100%, but leaning towards a '08+ CTS to replace the Deville. I doubt I'll replace the Mazda as my commuter car beforehand.

I'm trying hard not to look at any collector cars that will interfere with my '59 Caddy as my next collector car (hint: it's not working!).

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 12:01 PM
If they made a Genesis Coupe with the 5 liter? hmm...

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 12:12 PM
lol, yeah right! There is no "nice n* powered cadillac". Period! :helpless:
xlr-v

OffThaHorseCEO
02-24-11, 04:05 PM
An XLR-V.

Its gonna be a while though. It might not be the next car I buy but its gonna be MY next car

gdwriter
02-24-11, 04:47 PM
2008+ CTS 3.6 RWD in Blue Diamond, Crystal Red or White Diamond with Cashmere/Cocoa interior and the Performance/Luxury package:

http://www.q45.org/gdwriter/10_CTS_Blue_Diamond.jpg

gdwriter
02-24-11, 04:54 PM
I'm really thinking about a diesel VW still, but something tells me that when it actually comes time to buy, I'll be too cheap to fork over the money.

Therefore, I speculate that my next car will either be some family hand-me-down that would otherwise have gotten junked or a sub-$2k craigslist gem :) No idea on make or model; can't be picky when you don't have to shell out the green.I'd rather spend some dough and get something I truly enjoy rather than buy some sub-$2 POS. But I guess it depends on your priorities. I love cars and I love to drive, so I can't abide driving a crappy car as my daily driver. And since I can afford to have something nice, that's what I choose to do.

I got lucky with Cruella. Although I only paid $999 for the car and had to go through a few months of repairs and maintenance to get her up to snuff, but she turned out to be a very reliable car and a pleasure to drive and own. She certainly didn't look like a rotting POS either.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-24-11, 04:58 PM
I got lucky with Cruella. Although I only paid $999 for the car and had to go through a few months of repairs and maintenance to get her up to snuff, but she turned out to be a very reliable car and a pleasure to drive and own. She certainly didn't look like a rotting POS either.

I think thats the definition of craigslist gem

drewsdeville
02-24-11, 05:50 PM
I'd rather spend some dough and get something I truly enjoy rather than buy some sub-$2 POS. But I guess it depends on your priorities. I love cars and I love to drive, so I can't abide driving a crappy car as my daily driver. And since I can afford to have something nice, that's what I choose to do.

Agreed on every level. However, you and I are at different points in our lives. A home is above a car on my priority list, and if I have to drive a POS to do that ASAP (this year), I sure won't regret it. There are just too many fantastic foreclosures around here to pass up over a vehicle that will only depreciate. While wrapping up my last semester, I'm currently working day and night (literally) to build a nice fund towards this that will be combined with my gf's from her teaching career. I'm pretty confident that this will turn out great.

The quicker I get into (and pay off) the home, the longer I can live with minimal financial restrictions. To me, it's worth holding out.

Assuming I don't get run over by a bus anytime soon, I have the rest of my life to drive a nice car that I like. Right now, I could care less. This is why I haven't touched my '66 Dodge, and probably won't anytime soon. If cars were my top priority, I would already have tackled that project.

FWIW, I'm not driving the clunking, smoking, leaking, dying shitbox on wheels that you see out there. Even if my cars don't look pristine, I maintain them to excellent mechanical condition. After all, I have to rely on them to get me to work every day. From behind the wheel, you'd never know they were 200k mile cars. They are quite enjoyable to drive, they are cheap and easy to repair, and they can be had for pennies on the dollar. They just don't always look pretty and aren't worth anything as far as value. These are the reasons I've been sticking with the 4.X powered Cadillacs like your own Deville.

gdwriter
02-24-11, 06:20 PM
Agreed on every level. However, you and I are at different points in our lives. A home is above a car on my priority list...You have your priorities straight. I've got 20 years on you and am well established in my two careers. I bought my first house when I was 27 and sold it 9-1/2 years later for a nice profit when I moved to Oregon; that profit went right into the down payment for the house I live in now. And I had owned my first home for six years before I bought Betty.

These are the reasons I've been sticking with the 4.X powered Cadillacs like your own Deville.You're right that they don't have much value on the used car market, but the 4.9 (and I assume the 4.5) are very durable engines. I still see early 90s DeVilles all the time; it's one of the more common early 90s cars out there beyond Civics, Accords and Camrys. I had the tranny rebuilt at 216,000, but I'm pretty sure the 4.9 in Cruella hasn't been touched.

I've always done my best to take care of my car's mechanical parts as well as make them look as good as possible. Cruella looked pretty good when I bought her, but a good wax job really made her gleam. As for Sabrina, nobody can believe this is a 10-year-old car with 100,000+ miles.

ben.gators
02-24-11, 06:37 PM
Agreed on every level. However, you and I are at different points in our lives. A home is above a car on my priority list, and if I have to drive a POS to do that ASAP (this year), I sure won't regret it. There are just too many fantastic foreclosures around here to pass up over a vehicle that will only depreciate. While wrapping up my last semester, I'm currently working day and night (literally) to build a nice fund towards this that will be combined with my gf's from her teaching career. I'm pretty confident that this will turn out great.

The quicker I get into (and pay off) the home, the longer I can live with minimal financial restrictions. To me, it's worth holding out.

Assuming I don't get run over by a bus anytime soon, I have the rest of my life to drive a nice car that I like. Right now, I could care less. This is why I haven't touched my '66 Dodge, and probably won't anytime soon. If cars were my top priority, I would already have tackled that project.

FWIW, I'm not driving the clunking, smoking, leaking, dying shitbox on wheels that you see out there. Even if my cars don't look pristine, I maintain them to excellent mechanical condition. After all, I have to rely on them to get me to work every day. From behind the wheel, you'd never know they were 200k mile cars. They are quite enjoyable to drive, they are cheap and easy to repair, and they can be had for pennies on the dollar. They just don't always look pretty and aren't worth anything as far as value. These are the reasons I've been sticking with the 4.X powered Cadillacs like your own Deville.

Frankly speaking, there are very few people among young generation who have such a straight and clear view about their life and their goals and have such an strict schedule to achieve their goals... this is not very common and I really appreciate it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-24-11, 07:21 PM

You and I might not agree on most things, but I'll agree 110% with you on this. Smart man. This is more or less why I'm not looking to replace the Regal with a Northstar Cadillac, but another cheap, simple Buick.

Bro-Ham
02-24-11, 08:47 PM
A 1975 Buick Electra (225 or Limited) Sedan or 1975 Olds 98 Regency Sedan or a 1975 Sedan deVille. I love the BIG hardtops! :)

My car dealer friend took in a 2001 Seville SLS with 98k that has been impeccably maintained and is super clean - can buy for $3100, I don't know why I'm even looking at this thing... :)

gdwriter
02-24-11, 09:16 PM
^^^ You might enjoy it, Dave. A lot.

Playdrv4me
02-24-11, 11:00 PM
I've been tooling around in a 3.8L Hyundai V6 powered Kia Borrego the past few days and have just been FLOORED at how responsive the motor is in a gigantic, ancient body on frame SUV of all things. If the 3.8 is that good in a TRUCK, I can't even imagine what the 5.0L is going to do in a car.

96Fleetwood
02-25-11, 12:10 AM
My wife and I are thinking of having kids in the next two years now that our careers are taking off... so....

If we still live in the midwest: 2009+ Escalade

If we move down South: CTS-V Wagon

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-25-11, 01:06 AM
My car dealer friend took in a 2001 Seville SLS with 98k that has been impeccably maintained and is super clean - can buy for $3100, I don't know why I'm even looking at this thing... :)

Do it. If you don't like it, you can atleast turn around and flip it for atleast $5,000. Plus, it would give us another reason to meet up at Pier 500 for drinks and conversation.

Aron9000
02-25-11, 06:02 AM
A 1975 Buick Electra (225 or Limited) Sedan or 1975 Olds 98 Regency Sedan or a 1975 Sedan deVille. I love the BIG hardtops! :)

BUY IT!!!!!

That is one hell of a deal on that car, especially one that hasn't been neglected. Kind of funny how a similar condition LS1 v8 powered fbody will go for 2 to 3 times that amount, despite it listing for probably 1/2 the price of that Seville when new.

Stingroo
02-25-11, 08:52 AM
Yeah, Dave I'm in their camp. That car screams purchase, enjoy, and flip.

Bro-Ham
02-25-11, 12:57 PM
to me it seems like voluntarily acquiring herpes - - I hope you are all right, I may just do it today

ga_etc
02-25-11, 02:52 PM
It's no where near that sever Dave, lol. Just get them to do a block test before you buy it. If it checks out, buy it and enjoy it for a while. It'll make a great substitute for the Deville on the long trips. Besides, you live it FL. When you get ready to sell it someone will snatch it up quickly.

V-Eight
02-25-11, 03:41 PM
My next car will hopefully be a V-Series on some sort.

Bro-Ham
02-25-11, 05:54 PM
It's no where near that sever Dave, lol. Just get them to do a block test before you buy it. If it checks out, buy it and enjoy it for a while. It'll make a great substitute for the Deville on the long trips. Besides, you live it FL. When you get ready to sell it someone will snatch it up quickly.

There is no substitute for my 79 Cad on a long trip. :) From what I read on these forums I'm not sure how much I'd trust a 01 Seville.

gdwriter
02-25-11, 07:35 PM
Dave, I imagine your '79 DeVille is a superb highway car, but so is the '01 Seville. When I drove from Oregon to Chicago in 2009, I drove consecutive 600+ mile days and the car was so comfortable I didn't feel a bit road-weary. I'd look down at the trip odometer, see that I had driven 300 miles and be shocked that I didn't feel like I had been driving for that long. The ride is very supple, the car is very quiet and the seats are both comfortable and supportive. And even with a full trunk, the A/C going and the cruise set at 77 MPH, I still averaged in the mid to high 20s, even while crossing the Rockies. I can't imagine a better long-distance touring car.

I've had my Seville for two years and have put more than 30,000 trouble-free miles on it. My car was obviously well-maintained when I got it, and I have continued to do so. The only thing I've had to replace are the crank sensors, a common issue with the Northstar. As with any used car, it can be a crap shoot, but if you find you don't like it or it has issues, you can likely flip it.

Submariner409
02-25-11, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure how much I'd trust a 01 Seville.

???? I never hesitate to pack the STS and head for Maine or Florida - what's wrong with the cars ???

(Remember: You're in a Forum where people come to cry, not to tell you how wonderful their car is. The negative stories in here far outweigh the positives, so someone who has a good car and maintains it correctly is seen as some sort of extremely fortunate magician - BUT the "good" Cadillacs far outweigh the "bad" Cadillacs, just as in any other car brand.)

Bro-Ham
02-25-11, 08:06 PM
thanks for the hand holding. I'm taking the car for the weekend to see how it goes. stay tuned! :)

gdwriter
02-25-11, 08:35 PM
thanks for the hand holding. I'm taking the car for the weekend to see how it goes. stay tuned! :)http://www.kryptonitekollectibles.com/images/prod/BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-11, 01:08 AM
Aside from the Park Avenue Ultras, I was kinda considering an '05-06 Maxima GLE next. I drove one at work yesterday and I definitely want the Buick more. The Maxima wasn't as fun to drive or as catlike as the earlier Maximas were...it felt lifeless and dull, and even the 255hp 3.5L V6 didn't feel fast....it felt much more "vibrant" in the '02-03 Maxima I drove years back..but maybe my memory is making it seem better than it was.

ga_etc
02-26-11, 01:20 AM
...someone who has a good car and maintains it correctly is seen as some sort of extremely fortunate magician...

More like miracle worker. :p

Stingroo
02-26-11, 01:40 AM
???? I never hesitate to pack the STS and head for Maine or Florida - what's wrong with the cars ???

(Remember: You're in a Forum where people come to cry, not to tell you how wonderful their car is. The negative stories in here far outweigh the positives, so someone who has a good car and maintains it correctly is seen as some sort of extremely fortunate magician - BUT the "good" Cadillacs far outweigh the "bad" Cadillacs, just as in any other car brand.)

Except for Chrysler. :rimshot:

Sevillian273
02-26-11, 01:57 AM
:histeric: I've never been a mopar fan...

Next vehicle? Gotta be a pickup truck. Something simple that gets good mileage, hauls whatever i need, and cheap to maintain. The thunderbird can be my performance/tuning/modding guinea pig instead of the seville which pretty much seems to be a dead-end road as far as that goes. The hard part will be trying to sell the Seville after all the crazy things I've done to it....

Playdrv4me
02-26-11, 02:04 AM
While I would have to disagree with the "good/bad" ratio on the N* Cadillacs (though I do agree about that for MOST other cars and Cadillacs), for $3100.00 you have almost no downside potential on a mint 2001 car. The only thing that would make it better is if it were a Luxury Performance model with HIDs and the 17 inch wheels and tires. These cars are always in demand and if you do get a good one (make sure to get that block test), you will soon find yourself looking for ANY excuse to go out and take a ride.

Bro-Ham
02-26-11, 10:20 AM
Well, the adventure has begun, on my weekend test drive in this 01 Seville, which began last night, the most joyous thing that I love about newer cars, the "service engine soon" light, came on...engine was behaving fine both before and after it came on. I'm up in the frosty north still on a project, zero degrees this morning, and when I started the car it sounded like a mild version of all those cash for clunkers videos someone shared with all of us not that many moons ago - a light clack-clack-clack. Once the car warmed up it was just fine, and I should say yesterday when I started it during the day at 20 degrees it sounded fine.

I'll have to see if I can mentally get over that engine light which is seemingly there to remind me of the time, effort, and money I will need to part with to figure out if this thing is going to be a decent car or a voluntary migrane. :)

ben.gators
02-26-11, 03:00 PM
^
Pull the codes and start a new thread in Seville/Eldo section and post the codes. Usually it is fairly easy to track and locate the problem in powertrain of these cars because of sophisticated onboard computer system that these cars have...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-11, 10:39 PM
I think most Northstars have a lifter tick issue when the motor is cold, especially at temps like we're seeing nowadays.

I'm interested to see it next weekend.

77CDV
02-26-11, 11:47 PM
I'll lay odds it's a vacuum leak somewhere, likely the throttle body gasket or a cracked intake manifold (they're plastic, bless them).

Playdrv4me
02-26-11, 11:49 PM
The cold knock is nothing to be concerned with unless it continues after the motor is warm. The SES light on the other hand could indicate potentially severe problems, particularly if the stored codes are for misfires (P03xx series codes), which can be an indicator of HG problems. Definitely pull the codes and post them, and get that block test done.

Destroyer
02-27-11, 12:18 AM
BUY IT!!!!!

That is one hell of a deal on that car, especially one that hasn't been neglected. Kind of funny how a similar condition LS1 v8 powered fbody will go for 2 to 3 times that amount, despite it listing for probably 1/2 the price of that Seville when new.An LS1 fbody has a "good" GM V8, not a Northstar. I have noticed on Craigslist that many people selling a non-Northstar powered Caddy actually go out of their way to point out that the car doesn't have a Northstar. I've seen it phrased as "not a Northstar". They use this as a selling point! Haven't seen any 4.1 owners do this yet as it is too close of a call to determine which motor is the bigger POS.

Playdrv4me
02-27-11, 01:16 AM
An LS1 fbody has a "good" GM V8, not a Northstar. I have noticed on Craigslist that many people selling a non-Northstar powered Caddy actually go out of their way to point out that the car doesn't have a Northstar. I've seen it phrased as "not a Northstar". They use this as a selling point! Haven't seen any 4.1 owners do this yet as it is too close of a call to determine which motor is the bigger POS.

Yea I've seen an increase in those ads over the years, but what I didn't start FINALLY seeing until now, are ads where they SPECIFICALLY mention that the headgaskets have been fixed. For the longest time it seemed like people were afraid that mentioning that would scare people away when in effect it adds THOUSANDS to the value of a potential car to someone who knows the cars well. I am glad to see people are finally catching on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-27-11, 11:20 AM
Haven't seen any 4.1 owners do this yet as it is too close of a call to determine which motor is the bigger POS.

Uhh, the HT4100 is by far the bigger POS. Atleast with the Northstar, you can go ridiculously fast. Those 135 ponies in the HT4100 couldn't make a Cavalier fast.

Jesda
02-27-11, 12:46 PM
Ugh, I'd drive anything that doesn't have an HT4100.

I do have an affinity for the weird bustleback Seville, but I'd never trust one enough for daily driving.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-27-11, 12:56 PM
I found a really nice one at a "park and sell" last summer. It was a beautiful '85 "Elegante" model, with the two tone black and grey paint, immaculate grey leather interior and 68k original miles. They wanted $3199 for it, and I was sort of interested, because it's such a standout design (whether or not you like it is up to you), but I couldn't buy it as a summer car, because I didn't trust the HT4100 and I didn't wanna deal with what could potentially be a huge headache for a car that I wasn't *that* in love with.

drewsdeville
02-27-11, 01:19 PM
Related to this thread, I went to the auto show yesterday with my gf and both of our parents. Her parents have been looking to upgrade their car for a while and they are considering a Ford Escape.

If they do so, I'm thinking about taking their 2001 Grand Am off their hands. The durable 3400 V6 has almost 100k less miles than my current Caddy and should get better mileage. I put brakes and intake gaskets on it within last 2 years, and I know it could use some struts. As far as I know, it hasn't given them any other trouble.

That's right, Drew may be driving around in a Grand Am in the near future. Flame away!

Really, it's not my type of car, but when it comes down to getting the right price on a low mileage vehicle that gets better mileage, I really don't care.

ryannel2003
02-27-11, 01:21 PM
The problem with the Northstar is even after you fix the head gaskets, you still run into the possibility of failing coil packs, annoying oil leaks, and vacuum leaks that annoy you to the point of wanting to just cut your losses and sell the car. On top of that, the whole Seville line of that era was under engineered to the point of embarrassment, especially when cars that were 1/2 as much new hold up much better over time.

Besides that, the cars are amazing and i love driving mine.

Playdrv4me
02-27-11, 01:44 PM
Related to this thread, I went to the auto show yesterday with my gf and both of our parents. Her parents have been looking to upgrade their car for a while and they are considering a Ford Escape.

If they do so, I'm thinking about taking their 2001 Grand Am off their hands. The durable 3400 V6 has almost 100k less miles than my current Caddy and should get better mileage. I put brakes and intake gaskets on it within last 2 years, and I know it could use some struts. As far as I know, it hasn't given them any other trouble.

That's right, Drew may be driving around in a Grand Am in the near future. Flame away!

Really, it's not my type of car, but when it comes down to getting the right price on a low mileage vehicle that gets better mileage, I really don't care.

As compared to the '84 Escort or whatever it is you are always getting on about, a 2001 Grand Am is downright luxurious. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I almost bought a GT many years ago, probably was a 2001 in fact.

Likewise, the Escape is a great choice for the GF's parents.

Jesda
02-27-11, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a good deal, Drew.

Playdrv4me
02-27-11, 01:48 PM
The problem with the Northstar is even after you fix the head gaskets, you still run into the possibility of failing coil packs, annoying oil leaks, and vacuum leaks that annoy you to the point of wanting to just cut your losses and sell the car. On top of that, the whole Seville line of that era was under engineered to the point of embarrassment, especially when cars that were 1/2 as much new hold up much better over time.

Besides that, the cars are amazing and i love driving mine.

Isn't it funny how us most passionate Seville owners are the FIRST ones to tell anyone ELSE to steer clear of the damn things!

orconn
02-27-11, 03:26 PM
Truth be told the Seville and its' Northstar engine are high performance luxury automobiles and really shouldn't be compared with mid and lower market "transportation" cars. These are high end cars meant for a market that can afford their higher price of purchase plus their higher cost maintenance. The N* engine is a high performance aluminum alloy engine every bit the equal of their more expensive European counter parts that are equally or more expensive to own and maintain.

The "caveats" that we Seville and N* owners give out with such ease are really warnings against owning any "high end" car on a limited budget. The fact that the majority of us enjoy the overall performance and quality of our Sevilles, not to mention their interior or exterior design really addresses their excellent suitability for American driving conditions. No they may not equal the fit and finish of cars costing twice as much, nor exhibit the "gadget" complexity of cars from other makers, but in general the Sevilles accessories give less trouble than their superiors and when they do fail and cost less to repair when they do require repair.

The constant bemoaning of the N*'s HG potential repair liability by some Forum members is really just these members really just preference for the so-call reliability of the "cast iron" behemoth engines of yore rather than a real assessment of the performance and reliability of contemporary engines.

Visits to the forums of other highend makes reveals that as "used car" ownership candidates these other makes have there own potential maintenance liabilities, many with much costlier repair potential. While Sevilles don't fall into the category of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" like many of the higher priced "luxury" cars really do ( Mercedes S500, BMW 6 and 7 series, etc.)they are not for those who have no flexibility in their transportation budgets.

Playdrv4me
02-27-11, 03:53 PM
Truth be told the Seville and its' Northstar engine are high performance luxury automobiles and really shouldn't be compared with mid and lower market "transportation" cars. These are high end cars meant for a market that can afford their higher price of purchase plus their higher cost maintenance. The N* engine is a high performance aluminum alloy engine every bit the equal of their more expensive European counter parts that are equally or more expensive to own and maintain.

The "caveats" that we Seville and N* owners give out with such ease are really warnings against owning any "high end" car on a limited budget. The fact that the majority of us enjoy the overall performance and quality of our Sevilles, not to mention their interior or exterior design really addresses their excellent suitability for American driving conditions. No they may not equal the fit and finish of cars costing twice as much, nor exhibit the "gadget" complexity of cars from other makers, but in general the Sevilles accessories give less trouble than their superiors and when they do fail and cost less to repair when they do require repair.

The constant bemoaning of the N*'s HG potential repair liability by some Forum members is really just these members really just preference for the so-call reliability of the "cast iron" behemoth engines of yore rather than a real assessment of the performance and reliability of contemporary engines.

Visits to the forums of other highend makes reveals that as "used car" ownership candidates these other makes have there own potential maintenance liabilities, many with much costlier repair potential. While Sevilles don't fall into the category of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" like many of the higher priced "luxury" cars really do ( Mercedes S500, BMW 6 and 7 series, etc.)they are not for those who have no flexibility in their transportation budgets.

Oh Orr, you need to stop taking these posts as a personal slam against the Seville and just accept the car's flaws for what they are. I think we are all well schooled by now that those damn "Euro cruisers" have their share of problems too.

drewsdeville
02-27-11, 10:37 PM
As compared to the '84 Escort or whatever it is you are always getting on about, a 2001 Grand Am is downright luxurious. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I almost bought a GT many years ago, probably was a 2001 in fact.

Likewise, the Escape is a great choice for the GF's parents.

'92 Escort.

I don't "get on" about that car because it was awesome...it was far from it. I got that car for trading a motherboard, cpu, and memory from a computer. It was barely sell-able.

I mention that car so much simply because of the fun I had in it. Made a lot of good memories in that car. Making memories is what life's all about, right?

Don't need a "downright luxurious" car to have fun :)

thebigjimsho
02-28-11, 01:05 PM
My father's '92 Escort was a blast. Of course, it was an LX-e...

Submariner409
02-28-11, 01:20 PM
As far as the car and truck goes, I'd like to get a bit better gas mileage for today's market, so was thinking of one of the older, bigger Hummers.

Jesda
02-28-11, 01:51 PM
The only US Escort that matters is the GT (and its similarly equipped variants like LXE). It has the Miata's 1.8, a slick manual gearbox, and the weight of a skateboard. Its a hoot. Other US-market Escorts are trash.

orconn
02-28-11, 02:10 PM
The DTS Platinum Mike just bought looks awfully attractive, will pu it on my list to check out!

thebigjimsho
02-28-11, 05:13 PM
The only US Escort that matters is the GT (and its similarly equipped variants like LXE). It has the Miata's 1.8, a slick manual gearbox, and the weight of a skateboard. Its a hoot. Other US-market Escorts are trash.
And it had traces of oversteer ability when pushed hard...