: Spare Tire Parts Drama - Dealer vs GMPD

vindicated
02-23-11, 07:17 PM
SO I just purchased a used '07 CTS-V black/black with 40k miles (super excited to pick it up this Saturday, by the way) from a dealer. The previous owner had just put some new non-runflat all-season crap tires on the car, which is fine except they didn't invest in a spare tire. I had done my homework, mostly by reading through this forum thoroughly, I knew that with a few GM parts and a used rim/tire I could pop in a full size spare pretty cheaply.

Anyway, in the process of purchasing the car, the dealer said he could get me the GM parts (jack, handle, etc) at the dealership's cost. I sent him a list of the parts, and he first quotes me ABOVE MSRP for them. I knew what MSRP and GMPD prices were, so I pushed him, but all he said he could do was 20% off MSRP, which is still >20% higher than GMPD! What a ripoff!

Does anyone know why a dealer wouldn't be able to get parts close to as cheap or cheaper than GMPD (aside from the obvious jerking me around)? Anyone have this experience before?

P.S. thanks to all the effort put on this forum, truly fantastic resource for everything I ever wanted to know about this beast of a vehicle

heavymetals
02-23-11, 07:39 PM
Call Luke @ Lindsay (look to the right).

He had a spare tire kit I believe.

vindicated
02-23-11, 08:01 PM
Thanks, will definitely give Luke a ring. Was planning on ordering a UUC Shifter from him also. I like the two-birds-with-one-stone approach.

Aurora40
02-23-11, 08:16 PM
FYI, GMPD sucks. For one they have no customer service at all. Try to find a phone number you can call if you have an order problem. But for two, they have low advertised prices for parts because they make the profit on the shipping/handling part. Don't go by the GMPD price until you add it to your cart and look at the checkout price. What they charge for S/H will shock you.

But yes, I've experienced that. Many times I've gone to my local dealership parts counter with the price from a discount online GM parts dealer. I'm even willing to pay equivalent to the part price plus the shipping price, just to deal with/support a local business. Yet they claim they can't sell parts for that cheap. I don't understand it either. The end result is I only buy parts there in an emergency.

rand49er
02-23-11, 09:14 PM
gmpartsdirect is the biggest rip off around! Luke can beat their price to your door (don't be fooled ... make sure you figure in shipping) any day.

Yeah for Luke!!!

kevm14
02-23-11, 10:35 PM
So what does a spare tire kit go for anyway? I would consider this if it wasn't ridiculous money. I mean I have AAA...

Dan_Gurney
02-23-11, 11:01 PM
So what does a spare tire kit go for anyway? I would consider this if it wasn't ridiculous money. I mean I have AAA...

you really want to sit there for an hour waiting for AAA to come, then having them tow you to a place that may or may not be able to fix your tire... assuming they are open... instead of going in your trunk and putting your spare on.

a spare wheel/tire can be had for <$250. a small jack and tire iron shouldn't be that expensive either... well worth the money

kevm14
02-23-11, 11:26 PM
I live in southern new england and hardly ever take road trips. I haven't had a tire problem in a long time, and judging by the absence of cars on the side of the road with flats these days, everyone else is having a similar experience. It's pretty much worth saving the $250 plus whatever kit is needed to shove it in the trunk, as well as the lack of extra weight carried around, over time. I would be curious about the cost, but it would have to be cheap.

trhs75
02-23-11, 11:44 PM
When I got a spare kit for my used certified '05, the dealer split the cost of the tire, rim, and jack kit with me since the previous owner installed non run-flats. The general manager told me that indeed, they cannot get parts as cheaply from their wholesaler (GM?) as an individual can get from one of those online places like GMPD or gmpartsonline. This completely baffles me, as well! Does anyone understand how that can be?

mberisha
02-24-11, 04:07 AM
I live in southern new england and hardly ever take road trips. I haven't had a tire problem in a long time, and judging by the absence of cars on the side of the road with flats these days, everyone else is having a similar experience. It's pretty much worth saving the $250 plus whatever kit is needed to shove it in the trunk, as well as the lack of extra weight carried around, over time. I would be curious about the cost, but it would have to be cheap.

Good point...I'd be curious to know who has gotten a flat in their V?

CadzillaTN
02-24-11, 11:25 AM
When I got a spare kit for my used certified '05, the dealer split the cost of the tire, rim, and jack kit with me since the previous owner installed non run-flats. The general manager told me that indeed, they cannot get parts as cheaply from their wholesaler (GM?) as an individual can get from one of those online places like GMPD or gmpartsonline. This completely baffles me, as well! Does anyone understand how that can be?

Supplier actually sells to "GM" cheap.

Costs are inflated internally from division to division, which creates more "revenue" that lines union cronie pockets and pays pensions.

For example, when simple radio buttons were peeling: change knobs for $12 or buttons for $100?..nope. They yank the radio and take a $2,000 internal charge to send radio back.

exodus82
02-24-11, 02:37 PM
I've had different experiences with different dealerships regarding parts costs. I've had parts guys at the dealership say the price is firm, but I know this is not the case. Usually being friendly with the parts guy and asking for wholesale price will get you just that. Luckily for me I have a friend who is a salesman at a dealership so when I need a part I just call him and when I pick it up I'm only charged wholesale. Not sure if it is always the same markup percentage wise. But on my oil pressure sensor (which I have now replaced 3 times) the regular price was roughly $95 and the wholesale price I paid was $75. Even with the giant S/H fee to Canada I still find GMPD a cheaper solution if you have the time to wait for a part.

If I remember correctly my emergency brake that I replaced was about $400 at the dealership and about $250 after S/H from GMPD.

odla
02-24-11, 02:52 PM
lol. my wife got a flat in her v. I had a spare in here car. changed it only to find out it too had a screw in it. Good thing i had a spare in my v for it . Ive had a few flats in both cars.

BirdmanTamu
02-24-11, 03:06 PM
Good point...I'd be curious to know who has gotten a flat in their V?

I've had 2 or 3. Sure was glad I had a spare. It was well worth the investment of a measly $250 for the peace of mind. Then again I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 10:57 PM
A spare wheel and tire is generally cheap. I just didn't bother with a jack. AAA is fine in that case, but I had a small hydraulic jack for really long trips(usually driving to a track day)...

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, Luke @ Lindsay...

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-25-11, 10:26 AM
I get $130.00 plus $15.00 aprox. to ship for the jack, handle, tub that holds it, and hardware (5 parts in all). GMPD (to the best of my knowledge) is nothing more than a GM dealership that has developed a successful website where, as someone allready mentioned, they sell parts extremely cheap (litterally dollars over cost in most cases) and then make up for it on shipping. they are not buying parts any cheaper from GM than I can or any other GM dealership (as far as I know). like several have said beware the shipping and customer service. short version is just call me!

mberisha
02-25-11, 10:53 AM
I get $130.00 plus $15.00 aprox. to ship for the jack, handle, tub that holds it, and hardware (5 parts in all). GMPD (to the best of my knowledge) is nothing more than a GM dealership that has developed a successful website where, as someone allready mentioned, they sell parts extremely cheap (litterally dollars over cost in most cases) and then make up for it on shipping. they are not buying parts any cheaper from GM than I can or any other GM dealership (as far as I know). like several have said beware the shipping and customer service. short version is just call me!

Just curious...do you have a pic of the set-up? Thank you....

trhs75
02-25-11, 07:45 PM
I think there are some nice photos and a diagram in the DIY section on here -- that's how I figured out what I needed. Depending on how thick the rub strip is on your tire, the panel covering the spare may or may not seat all the way down flush with the trunk floor. I put down some closed-cell foam pieces to protect the new rim and help keep the tire from sticking to the painted bottom.