: ls6 vs ls2

pjm10626
02-23-11, 05:07 PM
i am looking to buy a ctsv at the end of the summer. I have been wanting an 05 for the ls6. from what i have been reading there isn't much difference between the two power wise. i was hoping some of the members could give me some insight on the differences. do the ls2 models have a better rear end? any other comment are welcome.

rlj5
02-23-11, 06:02 PM
i am looking to buy a ctsv at the end of the summer. I have been wanting an 05 for the ls6. from what i have been reading there isn't much difference between the two power wise. i was hoping some of the members could give me some insight on the differences. do the ls2 models have a better rear end? any other comment are welcome.

There isn't enough difference either way to get one over the other...... Best to buy the best deal on the best car not because of an ls6 or ls2,

Good luck on finding a good one &
Welcome to the forum

rand49er
02-23-11, 08:16 PM
LS2 requires you to have mudflaps.

J/k. Yikes! What have I done?!!

CTSV_Rob
02-23-11, 08:23 PM
:rofl: I like my mudflaps.

Better low end torque on the LS2's, like a truck :).

If you like breaking them loose in third (on the dry pavement of course) then I would recommend the LS2. The LS6 has a more aggressive cam so I do like the idle on the LS6's.

I wouldn't choose based on the motor, look for the best V for the money. You will enjoy either engine but I think you will have more options for the heads because of the larger piston size. I could be wrong on this one so please research if this is a concern.

Stepside
02-23-11, 09:03 PM
LS2 Vs . . .:hmm: hmmm,
bigger pistons,
bigger throttle body,
bigger half shafts,
bigger strut brace,
thicker/stronger rearend case,
improved cradle bushings,
improved transmission,
more modern wire harness,
radio buttons on steering wheel,
Digital OnStar/XM NavTraffic
'07s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
:eyebrow: truck tuff - is that enough? :duck:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html

kevm14
02-23-11, 09:38 PM
Which is why I set out to buy an 06 or 07. And get I ended up with an 05 because the deal was much more palatable to me. I kinda wish I had the LS2 though.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-11, 11:18 PM
:shhh: you could get banned for talk like that around here. The Mods are LS6 loyal!

wcryan
02-24-11, 05:11 AM
haha, just make sure if you get the LS2 to buy the tow hitch package; When the guys with the Ls6's blow their diff's their gonna need a tow

Houdini
02-24-11, 07:29 AM
Stepside, you're forgetting the AWESOME black center-caps on the wheels. They DO make you faster. LS2 FTW!

mberisha
02-24-11, 07:57 AM
haha, just make sure if you get the LS2 to buy the tow hitch package; When the guys with the Ls6's blow their diff's their gonna need a tow

Good thinking...hahahha....that's funny...

crankedupforit
02-24-11, 08:22 AM
LS2 Vs . . .:hmm: hmmm,
bigger pistons,
bigger throttle body,
bigger half shafts,
bigger strut brace,
thicker/stronger rearend case,
improved cradle bushings,
improved transmission,
more modern wire harness,
radio buttons on steering wheel,
Digital OnStar/XM NavTraffic
'07s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
:eyebrow: truck tuff - is that enough? :duck:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html

You'd think with all the bigger and improved stuff it might be faster.........not! :bigroll:

Aurora40
02-24-11, 08:30 AM
You'd think with all the bigger and improved stuff it might be faster.........not! :bigroll:

We all intentionally hold back a little whenever an LS6 person might see or read about it, just so you guys don't feel bad. Every new buyer of an LS2 car gets a mysterious phone call the night after they buy it, to fill them in on the deal.

To the OP, here is the difference from GM:

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/aurora402002/ls2ls6.jpg

CadzillaTN
02-24-11, 10:03 AM
It's really a moot point now, and kudos to the people that are picking up the 'improved' models at these great prices..

But 3-4 years ago, it wasn't LS6 vs LS2. It was 25-30k or 40-45k...big difference- and for some, not worth the extra cash.

Slithering_Joe
02-24-11, 10:15 AM
LS2 Vs . .
more modern wire harness...
Now there's a selling point!

tommy compton
02-24-11, 10:39 AM
If you're staying stock not much difference, if not LS2= more potential.
LS6 is maxed out where the LS2 is just getting started. Ls6 owners try to comfort themselves by saying it's some sort collectors addition, that it was once the same engine in the Z06 or some crap like that.:cookoo:

Houdini
02-24-11, 10:56 AM
Now there's a selling point!

Actually it is, there are less electrical gremlins in the ls2 Vs. Read some of the threads about odd sensor readings or bad grounds... you don't see 06 or 07 V owners reporting in there. I suppose it could be that they are newer and the same gremlins just haven't surfaced yet but I think they did make improvements in the harness/grounds. I know in my 07 I haven't seen a single one of the electrical issues that 04/05 guys have reported.

PISNUOFF
02-24-11, 12:07 PM
Actually it is, there are less electrical gremlins in the ls2 Vs. Read some of the threads about odd sensor readings or bad grounds... you don't see 06 or 07 V owners reporting in there. I suppose it could be that they are newer and the same gremlins just haven't surfaced yet but I think they did make improvements in the harness/grounds. I know in my 07 I haven't seen a single one of the electrical issues that 04/05 guys have reported.

I can't believe you just jinxed yourself like that. WOW!

Houdini
02-24-11, 01:10 PM
I'm not scurd.... because my V is at home hiding away in the garage...she has no idea I said it! :shhh:

pjm10626
02-24-11, 01:59 PM
wow, thanks for all the replies. i was not expecting this many. i think i will start looking at the prices of the 06-07 more now to see how much more they are.

someone said there is more aftermarket on the ls2, and another mentioned the ls2 has more room to grow performance wise... why is this? i imagined the ls2 would have a greater demand for aftermarket since its in more vehicles and its still a current in production motor.

my plan is to buy the car and keep it stock until i graduate college in a year. pay it off as soon as i graduate. then start modding, if i decide to.

well thanks for all the replies i cant wait to actually get one.

crankedupforit
02-24-11, 02:41 PM
We all intentionally hold back a little whenever an LS6 person might see or read about it, just so you guys don't feel bad. Every new buyer of an LS2 car gets a mysterious phone call the night after they buy it, to fill them in on the deal.

:yawn: More torque to pull the horse trailer.

CancerJCC
02-24-11, 02:51 PM
and another mentioned the ls2 has more room to grow performance wise... why is this?

Bigger cubes.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 05:46 PM
The LS6 has a more aggressive cam so I do like the idle on the LS6's.
:yeah:

I wouldn't choose based on the motor, look for the best V for the money.

:shhh: you could get banned for talk like that around here. The Mods are LS6 loyal!

:yawn: More torque to pull the horse trailer.

Assuming you are not planning on opening up your engine, the LS6 cam makes it all worth it. And I still maintain stock for stock, the LS6 pulls that little bit harder to redline.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 05:51 PM
wow, thanks for all the replies. i was not expecting this many.

LS6 vs LS2 is worse than Pepsi vs Coke.

pjm10626
02-24-11, 08:41 PM
ok looked around on autotrader some more and the 06-07s are way more. so ill be leaning more towards the 05 unless a good deal comes up. thanks for the input. ill keep lurking around here until i get the car.

darkman
02-24-11, 09:27 PM
Forget the motors, let's argue about something important, like colors.

InfrareV
02-24-11, 09:32 PM
Infrared>All

crankedupforit
02-25-11, 10:09 AM
Forget the motors, let's argue about something important, like colors.

All Vs are redlines. The rest are mistakes.

Speaking of which, redline was the only color available for only a single model year (05). It was changed to infrared for 06-07. Be interesting to see the real difference (if any) in those two colors.

So I hereby declare redline as the rarest and most beautiful color of any V produced.

Stealth grey vs Thunder grey doesn't count because I don't like them :bigroll:

Stepside
02-25-11, 11:10 AM
:cool2: GM got rid of 'Redline' because the improved the color to Red-Jewel-Tintcoat aka Infrared.:duck:

Houdini
02-25-11, 01:14 PM
Light Platinum has been verified as the lightest of the V paint colors.... a clear cut weight advantage thus making platinum Vs the fastest. Light Platinum FTezW!

heavymetals
02-25-11, 01:33 PM
The color of the LS6 motor is shinier then the LS2 :histeric:

rand49er
02-25-11, 02:06 PM
Heavy, that is one funny signature you've got there. :rofl:

heavymetals
02-25-11, 02:12 PM
Heavy, that is one funny signature you've got there. :rofl:

Thanks!

It is a quote that is attributed to Einstein (in error).

Specifically by "Mozzy", a character in "White Collar".

JimmyH
02-25-11, 04:16 PM
Stealth Gray ftw. It really pops in the sunlight.

kevm14
02-25-11, 05:00 PM
Stealth gray was my last choice in terms of cars I was looking for. Yet I ended up with one and I love it, though I do wish I had the black interior rather than light gray. I get lots of compliments. It's not like someone is going to say "wow, that shade of black or silver is really sharp!"

JimmyH
02-25-11, 05:10 PM
I didn't even know it existed up until a day before I bought mine. I fell in love as soon as I saw it. I was the opposite though. I wanted the gray interior and I got black. It was like a cavern.

CancerJCC
02-25-11, 05:25 PM
The color of the LS6 motor is shinier then the LS2 :histeric:

Agreed.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/MaggieInstall056.jpg

Stepside
02-25-11, 06:08 PM
:yawn:Yeah, but the mouth of your blower sez LS2 :shhh:. . . right ???

Aurora40
02-26-11, 09:13 AM
Speaking of which, redline was the only color available for only a single model year (05). It was changed to infrared for 06-07. Be interesting to see the real difference (if any) in those two colors.

From what I understand, the Infrared paint reflects more low end light frequencies vs the Redline. The effect of this is that, right when the lights hit, your eyes will see the Infrared paint quicker, but then after that they just look the same.

I've also heard that Infrared was just Redline reformulated so that stuff like Rhino-Liner will stick to it more easily.

crankedupforit
02-26-11, 09:21 AM
I've also heard that Infrared was just Redline reformulated so that stuff like Rhino-Liner will stick to it more easily.

:histeric::histeric::histeric:

PISNUOFF
02-26-11, 10:51 AM
From what I understand, the Infrared paint reflects more low end light frequencies vs the Redline. The effect of this is that, right when the lights hit, your eyes will see the Infrared paint quicker, but then after that they just look the same.

The real difference is the infrared is a basecoat/tintcoat. It's a different paint process and requires an additional pass through the paint booth for the tintcoat.

PISNUOFF
02-26-11, 10:55 AM

The higher torque of the LS2 is noticeable. It's about 25 ft-lbs higher in the 1500-4000 rpm range. If it came down to it, I wouldn't choose the car based on the motor either. My biggest concern would be having the gen 4 diff, but even that wouldn't stop me from buying one that had an older diff.

InfrareV
02-26-11, 11:05 AM

:histeric: I've got an '06, but that's a pretty good one.

Aurora40
02-26-11, 11:12 AM
:histeric: I've got an '06, but that's a pretty good one.

Heheh, thanks! I have an '06 Infrared also. :cheers:

crankedupforit
02-26-11, 01:00 PM
Heheh, thanks! I have an '06 Infrared also. :cheers:

.......with a Herculiner racing stripe ;)

lollygagger8
02-28-11, 12:34 PM
Infrared/Redline = Arrest me Red.

There are only 2 colors to choose from Silver or Black. Since silver is fastest, then there really isn't any other choice.

Pepsi sucks. Coke Rules.

I'm not opinionated, I'm just always right. lolz

Houdini
02-28-11, 01:05 PM
^:word:

JimmyH
02-28-11, 02:44 PM
says you. Coke is too sweet. Plus they are the giant, and the giant is always the bad guy. Pepsi ftw.

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 10:03 AM
Just buy an '07 and swap in an LS6. Problem solved.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-01-11, 11:41 AM
...Stealth grey vs Thunder grey doesn't count because I don't like them :bigroll:

Bah!

Infrared/Redline = Arrest me Red...

Black is out because it shows scratches too easily.

Silver is out because half of all cars on the road seem to be silver.

Red is out because it screams "arrest me"

Someone please help me find a Stealth/Thunder Grey V with a black interior, under 30K miles, and at least two years of waranty and you'll be my best friend for life! If you find me one with all of the above and no moonroof I'll give you my first born son. ;)

JimmyH
03-01-11, 01:05 PM
Just buy an '07 and swap in an LS6. Problem solved.

If you are going to do that, swap in an LS7.

heavymetals
03-01-11, 02:03 PM
If you have a year to wait for it to be done, stick in an "Eforce, or a C5R block" :stirpot:

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 02:35 PM
If you are going to do that, swap in an LS7.
Thanks for ruining the joke, Colonel Klink...

JimmyH
03-01-11, 03:09 PM
you're welcome.