: Winter Trooper!

MarioA
02-23-11, 03:01 PM
Winter driving has been a joy in the SRX....she's a trooper!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72806&stc=1&d=1298491235

PJ1520
02-23-11, 05:30 PM
Mario.........up my way that is called a mere dusting. And the SRX has instilled in my wife a newfound sense of fearlessness when she drives in the snow.

PJ

TRMN8R1
02-24-11, 10:22 AM
Nice images! A regular around here in WNY! I couldn't be happier with the way the AWD has performed in snow and ice conditions my first winter with the car. Coming from driving 4wd trucks I was a little apprehensive just how well these would handle the conditions. I almost purchased dedicated snows but decided to go with the OEM tires for the first winter. Not sure if this car will perform quite as well next winter with some tread worn off, tho...................

Razorecko
02-24-11, 11:15 AM
We guys with the 2.8T's obviously have the 20" rim setup. The tires are great in acceleration in the snow but have you guys noticed the horrible braking characteristics of these tires in the snow/ice ? I can barely tap the brakes before abs triggers

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 12:23 PM
I have 20"s too and not noticed abnormally poor braking in snow. Yes, ABS does come on, but where I feel it should, on hard pack or ice. At least no worse than my other vehicles.
Next year, with less rubber may be different...

Nice pix Mario. I wish I had the turbo! LOL

SS

TheCaptain
02-25-11, 08:27 AM
That looks like mine most of the time! (When its not washed :P)

For all the snow, ice, salt we get around here, i purchased a set of stock 18's and mounted brand new Bridgstone Blizzak DM-V1's.

You can't tell me about winter driving confidence till you've driven the SRX with these tires on!

frankrizzo135
02-25-11, 09:38 AM
How much of a difference do those tires make? I am thinking of getting some for next winter.

TRMN8R1
02-25-11, 10:07 AM
I have always been a Nokia Hakkapelitta guy, ran them on BMW 5's up and down I90, then in later years on my Sierra trucks. I live in ski country and have a very steep driveway to climb out to the street. I know there are other high performance winter tires out there, but these have served me well. I like TheCapn's idea of acquiring another set of OEM wheels and keep the Nokian permanently mounted (if I can find wheels!).

MarioA
02-25-11, 12:35 PM
That looks like mine most of the time! (When its not washed :P)

For all the snow, ice, salt we get around here, i purchased a set of stock 18's and mounted brand new Bridgstone Blizzak DM-V1's.

You can't tell me about winter driving confidence till you've driven the SRX with these tires on!

>>(When its not washed :P)
Captain, we've all seen your pictures, you can't fool us, your idea of not washed is a spec of dirt on the under-carriage :cool:

I would imagine the analogy of the effectiveness of winter tires on a SRX is like slicks on a muscle car!

TheCaptain
03-01-11, 01:39 PM
>>(When its not washed :P)
Captain, we've all seen your pictures, you can't fool us, your idea of not washed is a spec of dirt on the under-carriage :cool:

I would imagine the analogy of the effectiveness of winter tires on a SRX is like slicks on a muscle car!

Lol you got me there!

And yea, i have been running the all season's this past weekend (as my vehicle was used in his wedding) and wow! Boy did i ever miss my blizzaks! It's like a night and day difference between traction and acceleration/braking!

(Not that i didn't already know that, but frank was wanting more of an opinion).