: Is it hard to park?

greyghost04
02-23-11, 02:09 PM
I had my CTS sedan in for service and was given a new SRX as a loaner:bouncy:
Got to downtown Chicago and it was a beautiful cruise in the SRX. I found a parking spot I pulled up to and turned around my head to back into the space. OMG, I couldn't see anything outside the car. The pillars completely block any view out the rear quarter. It was a pretty big space so I backed up and pulled forward into the space. I know there is a camera for this, but I was too new to this vehicle to try it with the camera. My question is, do you get pretty good at parallel parking with just the camera over time and practice?

dkmiller3356
02-23-11, 02:19 PM
I can park it in a shoe box.... but then again I used to live in NYC so I can park anything!
Yes, the sight line is crappy but once you get used the blurry, pixilated camera and the sensors you'll be just fine.

TRMN8R1
02-23-11, 03:05 PM
Park by braille I say! Like the previous poster stated, can't count on the blurry camera up here in the NE with snow, salt, etc covering the lens. SO, lot's of trust in the sensors! I actually had an easier time parking my GMC 2500HD Duramax at 20' long than this SRX!! Blind spots all over the place.................

stevec5375
02-23-11, 04:57 PM
Side mirrors, rear view mirror, backup camera, and sensors must all be used in conjunction to park this boat. And if the person behind gets impatient, well, they'll just have to chill and wait.

PJ1520
02-23-11, 06:20 PM
Side mirrors, rear view mirror, backup camera, and sensors must all be used in conjunction to park this boat. And if the person behind gets impatient, well, they'll just have to chill and wait.

Steve......I see from your post that you have no dog crates sitting at all times in the back of your SRX to obstruct 90% of your view to the rear through the rear view mirror. Sadly, I do. :banghead:

The front and rear fascias remain unmarked, however. :yup:

PJ

algiorda
02-24-11, 10:21 AM
I actually enjoy using the backup camera with it's directional navigational aids which act like little runway lights showing you your destination with the current wheel position. I can back into a parking garage spot like a champ!

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 12:36 PM

I too use everthing available to me and it works! My mirror tilt in Reverse is disabled, as I put blind spot mirrors on and can see curb and all!

PJ, give 'em a try to keep the pups safe! That must be tough to see.........

SS

TheCaptain
02-25-11, 09:24 AM
I used to full size trucks with flat decks (and them loaded right up), and sometimes pulling trailers for work. Now i drive really large equipment at work. Parking comes easy as cake for me!

And if anybody parks by sound, ima gonna come down there and slap a dude! :/
:)

stevec5375
02-25-11, 09:59 AM
I used to full size trucks with flat decks (and them loaded right up), and sometimes pulling trailers for work. Now i drive really large equipment at work. Parking comes easy as cake for me!

And if anybody parks by sound, ima gonna come down there and slap a dude! :/
:)

I just keep backing up until I hear a crunch, then I know I need to pull forward a smidgen. :bouncy:

frankrizzo135
02-25-11, 10:34 AM
I agree, I could park my 2008 CTS with my eyes closed. Now with the SRX I have to at least keep one eye open for awhile. It will take some to get used to parking even with all the electronic help.

sube5186
02-25-11, 11:55 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the SRX any more challenging to park than any other vehicle. Then again, I grew up in the city. I learned how to parallel park before I learned how to drive (seriously). I used to practice parking every time I washed my dad's car. Funny thing is he never got suspicious that I was always volunteering to wash his car. :histeric: I told him years later and we both had a good laugh.

Anyway, I use front and rear sensors, back-up camera and exterior rear-view mirror (curb side). Sensors and camera alone won't prevent you from scratching your wheels against the curb. When I'm parking, I use the back-up camera instead of the interior rear-view mirror. With the camera, you can actually see the edge of the bumper itself. You can't see that through the mirror. One word of caution. As you get closer to the car behind you, you really have to go slooooowly. The wide angle lens of the back-up camera makes objects appear farther away than they actually are. I use the camera and the interior rear-view mirror when backing everywhere else. The back-up camera alone has no peripheral vision. You'll never see that person with the shopping cart crossing your path.

Sube

2010sled
02-25-11, 03:54 PM
My camera works perfectly. Nice clear, only if it's clean. they should of put a washer on it.

jcarlilesiu
02-25-11, 04:09 PM
We parellel park ours on the streets in Chicago every day. Never have I used the rear view mirror.

The back up camera is perfectly clear enough and with enough contrast to paint a beautiful picture of whats behind you even in low light conditions. That in conjunction with the passenger side mirror and the park assist, never even a bump.

Comes as second nature after living in the city for 6 years.

greyghost04
02-26-11, 10:01 AM
Ford has park assist that drives your car or truck right into the spot. I wonder how well it works?

TheCaptain
03-01-11, 03:03 PM
Ford has park assist that drives your car or truck right into the spot. I wonder how well it works?

I don't know about you guys, but there is some things i won't let the damned computer do. As much as i like tech, I drive the damn car.