: Oil Changes no not oil wars how often do you change

ThumperPup
02-22-11, 01:17 PM
No this is not going to be a oil ware thread don't care what oil you use or what oil filter or brand you use

just how often do you do it

are you one of those that
do it every 3k like the individual shops say
some say 5k if im corect i think thats what the dealership always says 5k

or do you just look and add when is needed and change when the OLM gets to 0?

Me I change my oil every 6-k add a qt every 1500 but with the new engine its been more like every 1900 to 2000 per qt

so what do you do

drewsdeville
02-22-11, 01:27 PM
Oil gets changed per OLM if the vehicle is equipped. Otherwise, anywhere between 5k and 7500 usually.

C&C
02-22-11, 02:20 PM
Low mileage user here, so it's once a year (usually down to the 50% on the OLM and about 4500 to 5500 miles on the odo).

ryannel2003
02-22-11, 02:26 PM
Every 5k miles here; car is using 1qt every 1200 miles, so I throw a few quarts in here or there.

SDCaddyLacky
02-22-11, 04:21 PM
I think it really depends on the mileage of the car, and your driving condition. Personally I change my oil every 3,000-3,500 miles because I do a lot of mix driving, especially coming home everyday from work when I hit traffic.

New cars can go longer intervals, any car over 150,000 miles, should change their oil sooner even using synthetic, if you bought the car used this has to be recognized. Because you never know how the previous owner maintained his or her car in the past, it's precautionary.

drewsdeville
02-22-11, 04:37 PM
If you're engine has been damaged or exhibited abnormal wear due to the previous owner's neglect, the damage has already been done. High frequency oil changes won't magically repair worn bearings, rings, seals, etc.

Assuming the engine was in good shape when the car was purchased used, previous maintenance was just fine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-11, 04:49 PM
You can't discuss oil change intervals without discussing the type of oil used and so on and so forth.

drewsdeville
02-22-11, 05:08 PM
Unless you are unwisely deviating from the manufacturers recommended specs, oil type should be a non-issue.

thebigjimsho
02-22-11, 05:47 PM
Unless you are unwisely deviating from the manufacturers recommended specs, oil type should be a non-issue.
Well, that's the point.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-11, 05:48 PM
If it's such a non-issue, then why do people offer synthetics and conventionals? I mean, it's all the same, right?

Stingroo
02-22-11, 05:59 PM
Every 3k no matter what.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-11, 06:02 PM
Back on the original topic, I run 5-6000 miles. I use a conventional oil and the BG MOA additive that I sell. It simply takes all the nutrients in conventional oil and boosts their levels, giving conventional oil lots of synthetic properties, for less than the price of a fully synthetic oil change.

gary88
02-22-11, 07:06 PM
6,000 miles. The CBS computer in my car usually gives me a 12,000 mile interval, so I let the dealer do one change under warranty and I do my own in between that.

ThumperPup
02-22-11, 07:17 PM
You can't discuss oil change intervals without discussing the type of oil used and so on and so forth.

this was just to see how many ppl do what doenst matter about what kidn of oil you yous just how often you change it
and if you add between changes or if you just go 3k and then change it liek the shops would like you to so they make more money and all

Submariner409
02-22-11, 07:19 PM
OK, I'll bite.

We drive the snot out of the truck - it's the boat parts, engine, dirt, mulch hauler and people mover - so I do the oil & filter every 7,500 miles, rain or shine. It will use exactly zero oil in that time/mileage period.

The car is the toy; it gets driven to long distance restaurants, Florida, Maine, and screamer road runs. I change the oil & filter every February/March, regardless of mileage. Currently my oil use average is one quart to 5,000 miles.

Disclaimer: I use absolutely NO additives except an occasional shot of TECHRON and firmly believe, based on 55 years of car ownership and countless thrown-away dollars, that aftermarket additives and snake oils are sold purely to separate your money from your wallet, nothing more. There's a real tin can screw-top quart of Marvel Mystery Oil on the shop shelf - been there for years. No true gearhead is without a MMO icon.

BTW........The shop just ordered some more bulk oils. A word to the wise DIY wrencher: Lay in an oil change or two right now: If this Mid-East crap keeps up we'll all be paying $10/quart for oil by April.

ThumperPup
02-22-11, 07:37 PM
the day oil hits 10 dollars a qt and gas hits 5 dollars a gallon in the us is the day i stop driving stoplooking for work and just sit at home untill the irs and marshals kick me out lol

cadillac kevin
02-22-11, 07:50 PM
I change my oil whenever my mechanic says it needs to be changed. that usually means once a year given I put about 10k combined on the 2 cars I drive.

drewsdeville
02-22-11, 11:48 PM
If it's such a non-issue, then why do people offer synthetics and conventionals?

So you give them your money, why else? It's no different than asking why different types of candy bars are offered. They all contain roughly the same nutrients, they are all nothing more than junk food, they just have different flavors.

Jesda
02-22-11, 11:53 PM
Different engines respond differently to different oils.

My old and neglected Saab is much quieter and smoother with Mobil 1 -- it needs a thorough top-end cleaning, but for now M1 keeps it smoother and quieter on cold mornings.

The Northstar seems satisfied with whatever I pour in there, whether its a synthetic blend or a cheap off the shelf 10W30.

The answer is not simple and never is. Its situational.

hueterm
02-22-11, 11:54 PM
It's not in there long enough to care ;-)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-11, 12:03 AM
So you give them your money, why else? It's no different than asking why different types of candy bars are offered. They all contain roughly the same nutrients, they are all nothing more than junk food, they just have different flavors.

Wrong!

I'll use a BiG example from work. Volkswagen has always recommended a synthetic oil for their 1.8T and 1.9 TDi engines. Lots of people however, wanted to cheapen out and use a conventional oil, but with the turbochargers and the heat they create, the conventional oils can't stand up to the heat, and they start having major sludging issues, so bad that the EGR coolers can completely plug up on the 1.9's, so VW has stated several, several times that this won't happen (nearly as badly) if you simply use a quality synthetic oil and change it frequently. But then again, people think that synthetic doesn't have any qualities over regular oil, so they don't spend the extra money and go for it.

Now, like Jesda said, different engines respond to different oils. Would I recommend a synthetic for everything? Hell no! But in some instances, you can't get away from it.

drewsdeville
02-23-11, 12:03 AM
My old and neglected Saab is much quieter and smoother with Mobil 1 -- it needs a thorough top-end cleaning

Exactly my point. As discussed earlier, damage from mal-maintenance or design flaw can't be reversed by a "special" oil in a fancy bottle with an attached fancy price tag. If the engine needs a top end cleaning, that's what has to happen.

Oils do not repair engines, period. This is an argument to the last sentence of post number 5.

Can an oil type like synthetic PREVENT damage, like in the instance of VW's design flaw? Sure. Can synthetic repair damage created by poor maintenance or said design flaw? Most definitely not.

gary88
02-23-11, 12:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RAX2W.jpg

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 12:10 AM
off topic i like to change my Oil and when i get the old oil out i put it in your coffee lol

why not if yall gona trash my thread and cant let soemthing be what it is but exspect me to stay out of somethign els then im going to just trash my own lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-11, 12:13 AM
You want unrestricted posting? Well this is as close as it's gonna get and you're complaining that its "not following your topic".

Jesda
02-23-11, 12:18 AM
Ross, people are talking about oil in an oil thread.

Stop being such a defensive idiot.

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 12:22 AM
Ross, people are talking about oil in an oil thread.

Stop being such a defensive idiot.

yes but its a oil thread about oil changes not oil wars
its about how often they change the oil

im not being a divensive idiot and great that a mod is using words like that at me arent you suposed to be moderating posts like the one you just made ?

Jesda
02-23-11, 12:25 AM
Stop using the internet. Find an outdoor hobby like chopping firewood.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-11, 12:27 AM
The crash....it's unavoidable....
http://www.maniacworld.com/train-head-on-collision.jpg