: Should car 'lurch forward' ?

SHOWGIRL
02-22-11, 09:45 AM
'10 -Performance -in-service April '10/ has CPO ...approx 12K to date
--------------------------------
When husband starts the car (but before putting it into gear) he notices what he describes as a 'quick' little 'lurch-forward like' feeling (but not sure if it 'actually' moves) - i'd call it a 'hiccup'.
I forgot to ask if this happens all the time but it's definitely happening after it's been sitting in the garage.
Thanks for any input ! best wishes - Showgirl

Kenwood
02-22-11, 12:12 PM
Hi Showgirl,
Are you sure it isn't just the inertia from starting up the V8? If the movement feels like it's excessive, you may want to have a Cadillac technician inspect the motor mounts.

Superjim
02-22-11, 12:18 PM
I feel mine "MOVE" a little bit..when it is cold.
I don't notice it when everything is warm.

I think it is all of the parts in the transmission spinning up to speed to get ready to go.

RippyPartsDept
02-22-11, 12:25 PM
yeah, if it is consistently doing this behavior then maybe a trip to your local dealer to show them and get their opinion might be the best thing since it is really hard to convey exactly what is happening over the internet

TulsaVic
02-22-11, 07:09 PM
Mine does the same. I figured it was engine torque that causes the perception.

Superjim
02-22-11, 07:16 PM
Mine does the same. I figured it was engine torque that causes the perception.

Yeah... What TulsaVic said. :)

Texas Jim

SHOWGIRL
02-23-11, 07:46 AM
'10 -Performance -in-service April '10/ has CPO ...approx 12K to date
--------------------------------
When husband starts the car (but before putting it into gear) he notices what he describes as a 'quick' little 'lurch-forward like' feeling (but not sure if it 'actually' moves) - i'd call it a 'hiccup'.
I forgot to ask if this happens all the time but it's definitely happening after it's been sitting in the garage.
Thanks for any input ! best wishes - Showgirl
-------------------------------
Hi - this is a 'joint'' Thank You for all your replies and help ! As Rippypartsmaster stated it's difficult to 'describe' via this board but it's nothing that is frightening ...'if' it continues we'll run it by the service department but i don't think this happens once we've been driving it/stopping/restarting because i know DH would be saying ''... see! do you 'feel' that'' ?!! LOL (and he hasn't) it's only at a 'cold' start-up after it's been sleeping in the garage LOL :o .... Best to you all !!! Showgirl.

rjm
02-23-11, 12:29 PM
My '06 did this. Just assumed it was the torque of the engine upon starting. Didn't experience it when I set the parking brake. Never noticed on my '08.

diggerdog
02-23-11, 03:21 PM
My 06 does it when it's cold as well. It only means it's ready to go and "eat up " some open road. I would never allow the issue to become a deal breaker. Maybe only an issue with the 2006 model? I'm sure the newer one's are not having problems IMHO. digger

RippyPartsDept
02-23-11, 04:55 PM
The OP has a 2010

HartfordGuy
02-23-11, 08:08 PM
I've noticed my 07 move a little apon a cold remote start. Nothing significant though and I don't notice it often. I have always dismissed it as torque of the motor turning over. These DTSs just want to get up and go! Like a Stallion!

clusco
02-25-11, 07:51 PM
I have this problem only when not using the parking brake while parking. I always stop the car, put it in neutral to find the steady, level ground, then park and kick down the parking brake so that there is no strain on the transmission while parking on incline or declines.

ltdltc
02-28-11, 03:58 PM
There is a TSB on this issue and is not a problem.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some vehicles may rock or move slightly forward or rearward while in park at start up after cold soak. This condition may be accompanied by a clunk noise. This is a slight movement that is more often seen visually, rather than felt, when viewed from the outside and using the auto-start feature, if equipped.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This slight movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. This movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This slight movement has no adverse affects on the transmission and no repair should be attempted. This condition is normal. This can be verified by comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions.

To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per Owner's Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

SHOWGIRL
03-01-11, 05:45 PM
There is a TSB on this issue and is not a problem.
------------
Thanks for your help ... i tried to find a TSB on the '10 but couldn't do that .
When our situation happens it on a flat area...but what you included in the TBS apparently this is 'normal' ... it doesn't happen all the time also ... thanks again tho for your help ! Showgirl :)