: Michigan cop got me for $65 for seat belt violation in my '78 Deville.

pompste
02-22-11, 01:31 AM
It seems my local police had nothing better to do than to look for seat belt violators last saturday nite.I had just pulled out of my driveway and less than 3 minutes later he lit me up and pulled me over.I had forgotten to put my belt on.He checked my drivers license and found i`ve had a perfectly clean record,0 points since 1990,and he still gave me a violation---$65 here in Mich.
I even told him i just lost my job and am living on foodstamps and minimal unemployment--all true.He got nicer then and apolgized for my run of bad luck,but still gave me the violation.
I think i should have gotten a verbal warning or less.I`m now on a 2 month payment plan to pay it off.

As you may know the seatbelt receptacles on these older Caddy`s lay flat and are bitch to find sometimes.Since i`m a big guy--245 lbs,muscular,---6'3" i can`t really reach around to find the receptacle sometimes so i just don`t buckle up sometimes.

Now i have to find a "seat belt extender" that just plugs into the receptacle and lengthens it by several inches.Been pricing them on e-bay--they want about $30 or so including the shipping------so all total i will have to shell out close to $100 for this seat belt fiasco.It seems all this extra money stuff always happens when i`m least able to pay it---they suck you dry even when you`re at the bottom financially.

I should have told him "i`m still paying your wages,give me a break".

Sorry to bitch here---but venting made me feel a little better about it.

Stingroo
02-22-11, 01:35 AM
According to a post I saw in the lounge, call your local GM dealer. They give the extenders away.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but it's worth a call. Sorry about that man, I know that sucks bad. :(

pompste
02-22-11, 03:09 AM
According to a post I saw in the lounge, call your local GM dealer. They give the extenders away.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but it's worth a call. Sorry about that man, I know that sucks bad. :(

Thanks man! It does suck bad.

I already checked with my local GM dealers on Monday morning about the free belt extenders.They only stock ones for the previous 11 years.I had them do research since GM made the same belt receptacle from the 1960`s thru the early 1990`s,and some others too.No luck there so e-bay is my only choice i guess.
I`ll order and pay for the extender b4 even thinking about paying the fine since i don`t want any more fines.I even offered to do work for the court to pay off the fine-----but they just want the money and they usually require full payment within 10 days.Since they know of my financial dillema,they are giving me 2 months to pay it off.

albymangled
02-22-11, 08:48 AM
$65?

Sweeet....

you guys have got it toooo easy...

where I live here in Oz....

try $270 and three demrit points (lose 12 and kiss your licence goodbye for a few months)...

check it out here http://www.mac.sa.gov.au/seatbelts/penalties

farrrrrrrrk......

Stingroo
02-22-11, 08:55 AM
Wow that's insane. Note to self, stay in Florida....

RippyPartsDept
02-22-11, 09:58 AM

This is supposed to be true.

GM does not charge the dealers for the seat belt extenders. If a dealer is trying to charge you for them call them out on it.

csbuckn
02-22-11, 10:04 AM
That's too bad. In MN, I think its 120 for no seatbelt. But the mpls pd made the news for setting up trap too often to milk people of money.

I have to admit, it feels funny riding without one. I catch myself putting it on just to move the cars out the driveway.

outsider
02-22-11, 10:44 AM
i rarely ever buckle up....never been busted for it yet...knock on wood

lacville78
02-22-11, 01:21 PM
I remember when this law came out.I was actually glad about it. It mean I could bucle up with my buddys and still not look uncool. But the law is still out of hand. Very nazi-like.

Years ago I got a running a stop sign ticket. The cop wasn't even right about it. I did stop, but oh well whatever.

Point is. I didn't have the cash so I sat it out overnight in jail. I think they deduct $100/day off a ticket.
Not the best spot to be but at the time I wasn't making 100/day.

Just an idea.

Sorry to hear about your troubles

drmenard
02-22-11, 02:44 PM
99 out of a hundred..or is it 999 out of a thousand seatbelts will save your life.... BUT One time that seatbelt will kill you... there telling you... you have to play the odds....Just one more freedom they take away from you because they say you are too stupid to do whats best for you...We know transfat is no good for you, so now some places thats illegal...Whats net cigarettes, some places its $10 a pack and nowhere to smoke them..... this is not a matter of choice, its the loss of freedom as we knew it...

Ranger
02-22-11, 04:00 PM
this is not a matter of choice, its the loss of freedom as we knew it...
By an act of congress, incandescent light bulbs are soon to become "illegal" as well.

sven914
02-22-11, 08:08 PM
I've never understood seat belt laws. I always wear mine because I don't like sliding around in the seat. But wearing a seat belt should be a matter of free will; what does it matter to the lawmakers that I feel like taking risks with my life? A person who doesn't wear a seat belt is not endangering anyone but themselves. Basically seat belt laws are just a ruse to generate money.

What makes even less sense is that (in Ohio at least) the lawmakers have decided motorcycle helmets are irrelevant. Not having a seat belt is not going to make you suddenly loose control and kill people. But a motorcyclist, without a helmet, is vulnerable to any bit of small road debris; debris that would be deflected by the helmet can cause the cyclist to loose his balance and crash and kill anything around him.

orconn
02-22-11, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately, Sven, the injuries that you may inflict on yourself by not wearing your seatbelt may well affect other people's pocket books. If you don't have medical insurance who pays to put you back together we all ( at least those that actually pay taxes) do. So failure to take an action to prevent an injury to yourself is not just a risk for which you alone may suffer the consequences.

cadillac kevin
02-22-11, 09:05 PM
I've never understood seat belt laws. I always wear mine because I don't like sliding around in the seat. But wearing a seat belt should be a matter of free will; what does it matter to the lawmakers that I feel like taking risks with my life? A person who doesn't wear a seat belt is not endangering anyone but themselves. Basically seat belt laws are just a ruse to generate money.

I disagree with you about the statement that not wearing a seatbelt doesnt endanger anyone but yourself. what if you hit a pothole or something and fall out of your seat. now you're sitting on the floor of your vehicle, cant see over the dash, and have no control over the steering wheel, accelerator, and brakes. in my safari van, the only thing that keeps me sitting in the sorry excuse of a seat is the belt. the seat has no side bolsters, no armrests, and are incredibly slick. one bump and you get tossed to the far right of the drivers seat with the seatbelt being the only thing keeping you off the floor.

ThumperPup
02-22-11, 09:32 PM
When i lived up in Okemos Mi i got pulled over one afternoon
had my windows at the time in the old lincoln tinted to 10 in the back and 30 in the front
cop pools me over said the reason i stoped you was i noticed you didnt have your seatbelt on i said yes officer i do
see
i had the sholder strap under my arm because of some medical conditions i didnt say that to the cop
he said well its on inproperly
and to wear it like that you have to have a write or note from you Dr
i proceded to explain and pull out and show my Handicap Placard
and also then i explained waht was wrong showed him a scar on my head and bruise on my neck and then i asked would you like to see the scars from my other surgerys from a serious fall i had
this causes me to have neck pain at times
so he then started to proceed around the car looking for other things
sat for 30 minutes whyll he called in my plates and license trying to find something on me but spotless couldnt find a thing
he was so pist i could tell from his tone and atitude but he had no reason to give me a tiket

he almost cought me up with a for now on wear your seatbelt properly
i said when my neck does not hurt i will

drewsdeville
02-23-11, 01:36 AM
Just buy yourself a vehicle that didn't come with seat belts from the factory and you are exempt from this. No seat belts to wear in my '66 Power Wagon :) It's ok though, the incredibly thick glass windshield and the steel dashboard will keep me from being ejected.

Jesda
02-23-11, 01:39 AM
Drew:

Do you have any additional photos of your old truck? Would love to see more of it.

drewsdeville
02-23-11, 01:42 AM
Drew:

Do you have any additional photos of your old truck? Would love to see more of it.

Not on hand. I could probably take some tomorrow if you were really that curious.

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 01:44 AM
i use to not mind seatbelts but latly i have been hating them and if the car companies would actualy touch seat belts or aftermarket shops would make them bigger id probably be better and wearing them bu for saftey laws no one will touch a seatbelt to take it out or make a custom longer one for liability reasons and insurance on there end

so i rather go to the Dr and claim a medical condition to get out of having to wear one

Jesda
02-23-11, 01:46 AM
Don't go to the trouble. I like spooky old trucks for whatever reason.

Aron9000
02-23-11, 02:43 AM
I have always worn my seatbelt, and I am certain that it saved my life when I wrecked my Camaro back in September. 30mph+head on into telephone pole and I walked away without a scratch.

pompste
02-23-11, 07:34 AM
I got my seat belt extender today from e-bay and it fits perfect--extends the lay flat receptacle by 11 inches so it`s easy to get at now.I don`t mind wearing a belt now.What i don`t like is the nazi-like approach and absurd $$$ fines.Many billboards here in Michigan stating "click it or ticket" with a huge picture of a mean looking cop holding a ticket.Those billboard ads cost big bucks and now i know how they pay for it all---by sucking people like me dry.
As also mentioned by others here,it should be a personal choice to wear a belt or not.There have been accidents where the belt has actually severed victims in half.It`s another way of the government sucking us dry financially.
I really should have been let off with a warning since i have a perfect driving record.I don`t know if i get any points or not for that.

DouglasJRizzo
02-23-11, 08:42 AM
Here in NJ the seat belt law was to give the locals an excuse to stop people and fine them. Worked great until seat belt usage went up to about 80%, then the same local pd's were complaining that they were losing money stopping people! LOL!! Every year, the muni pd here has a seatbelt campaign in the center of town. 80 break-ins a year and no one caught, but there they are, 3-4 cars, guys in bucket trucks etc checking seat belts. I LOVE rolling thru in the 67 Thunderbird that has only lap belts. They ALWAYS stop me, (same guy twice did!) start the spiel and then I start with the comments and show them the belts ARE fastened! LOL!

johnny kannapo
02-23-11, 10:52 AM
Why wouldn't you wear a seatbelt?

Stingroo
02-23-11, 11:12 AM
In all honesty, I can't think of a good reason not to wear a belt either, but I don't like the fact that they can ticket someone for NOT wearing one either.

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 05:50 PM
out of 5 acidents i have been in in the last 15 years

2 i was driving didnt wear a seatbelt fine walked away without a bruise or scratch both where around 20mph both where ins a school zone
a kid ran out in front one time i sworved and hit the school bus

1 was when a little girl ran out because her stupid mother didnt drive into the parking lot to pick her up so she had her kid run across teh road to the car

the other 3 times i have had seat belts on and something always happens heaad hit headline owie bruise
need hit glove box when i was a passanger owie bruise
but that also was when the glove box came in tords acutaly the entire front end came in

the other was well my brother drove into what was a creek but deeper end of the creek and well the seat belt could have cost me my life there lol

but im good

i have no belifes that seat belts save lifes
but to each there own and for each there own reasons

gary88
02-23-11, 06:40 PM
A mechanical arm hands me my seatbelt and the car won't shut up if I don't put it on.

There's no good reason not to wear one.

ga_etc
02-23-11, 07:57 PM
Not everyone can drive something as snazzy as your 335 Gary :p.

Up until a couple of years ago here in GA, if you were over the age of 18 you didn't have to wear your seat belt in a pickup because they could be considered a farm vehicle. Even in trucks, though, I have always worn my seat belt. I don't feel right without it on. But even if you do get caught not wearing it, it's only a $25 ticket and no points on your license.

Stingroo
02-23-11, 08:10 PM
A mechanical arm hands me my seatbelt and the car won't shut up if I don't put it on.

That would creep me the hell out.

orconn
02-23-11, 08:14 PM
I've had seat belts in my cars long before they were mandatory. After seeing how they helped in racing accidents I felt they were well worth installing. My uncle and I were seat belted in my Jaguar XK 150 when were quarter headoned by a drunk driver in 1966. The car was totaled but the Jags huge frame and the fact we were kept inside the car during the accident saved us from death or serious injury! I have never driven a car without fastening the seat belt ever since that accident!

ga_etc
02-23-11, 08:21 PM

It's actually pretty cool. It's just a little actuated arm that pushes the belt forward so you can reach it.

johnny kannapo
02-24-11, 12:32 AM
The seatbelt is not killing me.

I tell you whats killing me is how some of y'all can rationalize not wearing a belt, and funnier yet, examples of how seat belts may have more serious consequence in a accident. Its all quite laughable.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/web%20pictures/e9b6e13f.jpg

RippyPartsDept
02-24-11, 12:47 AM
my sentiments exactly johnny

Playdrv4me
02-24-11, 01:03 AM
That BMW seatbelt hander thing is novel, though i still end up contorting to grab the belt.

However NOTHING tops the complete and utter stupidity of those '80s Ford (and others probably) automatic seatbelts.

Stingroo
02-24-11, 01:09 AM
My dad's '92 Nissan Maxima had the automatic Nazi-belts. My 12 year old self thought they were cool.

They're sort of weird now though.

ga_etc
02-24-11, 02:29 AM
They're neat until it gets a bad connection and the car thinks it's unbuckled when it's not and wont stop BEEPING. Or you forget and open the door and lean out to check something and when you shut the door it comes back and hits you in the head.

I've had both happen.

Aron9000
02-24-11, 02:34 AM

Just imagine if somebody replaced that little plastic thing that gives you the with something like this that reaches out and hands the seatbelt to you:

http://www.fybertech.com/4thread/tg_2473979/1220238765309.jpg

Playdrv4me
02-24-11, 03:53 AM
They're neat until it gets a bad connection and the car thinks it's unbuckled when it's not and wont stop BEEPING. Or you forget and open the door and lean out to check something and when you shut the door it comes back and hits you in the head.

I've had both happen.

They also had a penchant for female hair.

What I always thought was absurd about those auto belt things, is that you still have to buckle the lap belt anyway!

ga_etc
02-24-11, 04:09 AM
Yep. My '91 Integra and '91 Accord were that way. Funny how many people would forget about the lap belt too.

lacville78
02-27-11, 03:35 AM
Well we can all argue all we want. But last friday my brother would have been killed if he wasnt wearing one!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37531456@N03/

Check it out and tell me im not right!

cgas
02-27-11, 06:17 PM
Pretty soon yer going to have seat belts on your motorcycle too!

77CDV
02-27-11, 08:38 PM
Well we can all argue all we want. But last friday my brother would have been killed if he wasnt wearing one!!!

Holy smokes! What the hell did he hit? Hope your bro's OK.

lacville78
02-27-11, 08:48 PM
Holy smokes! What the hell did he hit? Hope your bro's OK.

Some guy in a newer 99ish? Chevy extended cab truck pulled out in front of my brother on a highway

My brother didnt have time to change lanes. He slammed on the brakes but it didnt slow him down....no time

My brother was in the hospital overnight

He has a really bad mark from the seat belt.

Even the guy at the wrecking yard said he has seen people get killed in far less bad wrecks.

My brother was the type that didnt like to wear seatbelts. But for the last half year or so I have been getting on him.
I would make him buckle up whenever i rode anywhere with him.. I would call him names when he wouldnt wear his....

He said in order to appease me he would wear it . Then it became a habit..

He says he knows he wouldnt have wore a belt if it wasnt for me.

After the wreck I doubt I'll ever have to tell him again.

Also this will be the end of his economy car days as well.
He said he will save money in other ways .. but not by driving a "deathmobile"

pompste
02-28-11, 04:31 AM

Wow---good thing your brother was wearing a belt! Glad to hear he`s ok!

I started this thread and i`m glad i did! Some very interesting info has evolved from it.
I`m definitely a seat belt wearer now.I just wish i had the "seat belt extender" earlier.It`s so easy to buckle in now it`s a no brainer.
I`m going to get an extender for my '95 Deville too.It`s too bad they only come in one color though---black.

jayoldschool
02-28-11, 01:08 PM
I hesitated to move the thread, since I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep it just for the RWD guys. I did think that by moving it here it would generate more discussion, and I think that it was a wise decision.

Just to add my 2c: I'm a dedicated belt wearer, too. I wrote off two cars in a bad wreck, and walked away with only sore wrists from holding the wheel, and sore ribs from the belt holding me from smashing my face into the windshield.

pompste
02-28-11, 10:52 PM
I hesitated to move the thread, since I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep it just for the RWD guys. I did think that by moving it here it would generate more discussion, and I think that it was a wise decision.

Just to add my 2c: I'm a dedicated belt wearer, too. I wrote off two cars in a bad wreck, and walked away with only sore wrists from holding the wheel, and sore ribs from the belt holding me from smashing my face into the windshield.

You made the right call to move it here man! You`re a great moderator!

johnny kannapo
03-22-11, 03:43 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1417/no_seat_belt/

RippyPartsDept
03-22-11, 04:48 PM
you see the guy close his eyes... looks like he's tired and is falling asleep...

old, but still entertaining AND educational

kids, WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS!

pompste
03-22-11, 04:57 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1417/no_seat_belt/

WOW! The dude really dozed off.It shows just how quick a wreck can happen.A seat belt would have kept him in his seat.
Makes me wonder why he was filming himself though.

jayoldschool
03-22-11, 11:44 PM
I believe (if memory serves correctly from seeing this vid ages ago) that he was driving a cab with an in-car camera.