: Caddy is jumping at idle..

clusco
02-21-11, 11:54 PM
My 2006 Cadillac DTS is jumping and revving like a retarded kid at an ice cream truck, while the car is in drive or in park. The check engine light has now come on and periodically it will say something to the effect of "check traction stabilizer" then it will go off once the car gets to moving. I have 87,000 miles on the car and I havent changed the plugs or wires. Does anyone have the opinion of what this could be...an idle control sensor or plugs and wires, etc...? Thanks in advance

Superjim
02-22-11, 08:36 AM
My 2006 Cadillac DTS is jumping and revving like a retarded kid at an ice cream truck, while the car is in drive or in park. The check engine light has now come on and periodically it will say something to the effect of "check traction stabilizer" then it will go off once the car gets to moving. I have 87,000 miles on the car and I havent changed the plugs or wires. Does anyone have the opinion of what this could be...an idle control sensor or plugs and wires, etc...? Thanks in advance

Take it by AUtoZone and let them pull the codes on it.
Post the codes here...
Then we will see whats up..

Texas Jim

clusco
02-22-11, 11:05 PM
I went to Autozone and the code that was pulled up was a 0P300. I am being told that this is good at all for me. The car revs very badly now and the onboard screen messages "Service Stabilitrak" and the check engine light now blinks instead of just staying lit. About 3 months ago I had an oil leak. I brought the car in while it was still under warranty and they told me they fixed the leak. It was not fixed so I brought it back a couple days later. They told me the part they had to order would require taking the engine apart. They told me 3 days. 3 days later they told me oil was now "gushing" out and they didn't know what the problem was. They had another mechanic try and take over and then gave me a rental car. 10-12 days later they gave me back my car. The oil leak was now fixed. After that , 2 ignition coils had to be changed because of the check engine light, water pump, thermostat, etc... Since then I've had my car in to the dealer at least every 2-3 weeks. Now that this code has been pulled my warranty is over. Do you guys think that the dealership could have screwed up something in my engine being that they were so indecisive in fixing the oil leak the 1st 3 times? How bad is this P300 code?

Superjim
02-23-11, 10:15 AM
I went to Autozone and the code that was pulled up was a 0P300. I am being told that this is good at all for me. The car revs very badly now and the onboard screen messages "Service Stabilitrak" and the check engine light now blinks instead of just staying lit. About 3 months ago I had an oil leak. I brought the car in while it was still under warranty and they told me they fixed the leak. It was not fixed so I brought it back a couple days later. They told me the part they had to order would require taking the engine apart. They told me 3 days. 3 days later they told me oil was now "gushing" out and they didn't know what the problem was. They had another mechanic try and take over and then gave me a rental car. 10-12 days later they gave me back my car. The oil leak was now fixed. After that , 2 ignition coils had to be changed because of the check engine light, water pump, thermostat, etc... Since then I've had my car in to the dealer at least every 2-3 weeks. Now that this code has been pulled my warranty is over. Do you guys think that the dealership could have screwed up something in my engine being that they were so indecisive in fixing the oil leak the 1st 3 times? How bad is this P300 code?

P0300 means RANDOM MISFIRE.
It could be just a bad plug or a loose wire going to one of the plugs.

When the CHECK ENGINE light is blinking.. look at it very closely and see if there is a pattern to the blinks.

If it does... it is telling you "WHICH CYLINDER" is not firing.

Like ... does it blink 3 times ... waits a couple of seconds and blinks 3 times and keeps repeating the pattern.
That would be #3 cylinder.

If it blinks 5 times... stops and then repeats ... that would be #5 cylinder.

The blinks could be up to 8 at a time... for #8 cylinder.

Texas Jim

dkozloski
02-23-11, 12:12 PM
A blinking check engine light means there is a serious problem that could damage the engine and requires immediate attention.

rjm
02-23-11, 12:26 PM
A blinking check engine light means there is a serious problem that could damage the engine and requires immediate attention.

EXACTLY! Car should be towed to a service facility, not driven. Blinking light is a big helping of "not good".

clusco
02-24-11, 08:20 PM
I brought the car back into the same dealer and they told me I have 2 more bad igntion coils that have to be changed. I want to ask experts on here.....Could these problems be a result of the dismantling the dealership did to my engine a couple of months ago trying to fix an oil leak? When they tried to fix that leak, they admitted to me that they didn't know how to fix it and subsequently they ended up keeping the car for over 12 full work days.