: ran over a big rock at lowish speeds today, trying not to be paranoid

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 01:56 PM
No real reason for this thread other than to vent about running over a rock that I thought was a hunk of snow in the road today. Doing arpound 20 mph, slowing down, I lined it up with the center of the car and then BANG.

I get out, see that it's actually a rock. It went under the car and got kicked out the side, the top caught the rubber lip under the front fascia, but no body impact or anything. No idea what it hit underneath, it was too small to hit anything past the middle of the car but it probably could have impacted with the oil pan, control arms, exhaust, anything low like that.

Anyways, now I'm super paranoid about the steering or oil pan leaks, guess I will be until the spring when I can get it up on ramps and take a look underneath. Next time I will drive around!

/ rant over.

kevm14
02-21-11, 02:01 PM
My dad ripped a huge gash in the oil pan in a rental Pontiac Grand Am years ago doing something very similar. Also I was pulling out of a touchless car wash yesterday with the V and I think the left rear wheel caught the edge of the track. I thought "oh noes! my precious wheelzes." Yours is worse, though.

Mystical_Ice
02-21-11, 02:07 PM
yeah i did the same thing with a piece of a curb once. was no fun. the guy ahead of me went over it first and ripped his oil pan off... that was not a pretty sight.

thankfully mine just scratched the underside of the bumper. made a hell ofa noise though

CancerJCC
02-21-11, 05:24 PM
You can't get underneath it until spring? Damn at least go get your oil changed at some small shop and sneak around to get a look while they have it lifted. Hope it is nothing though and your oil level sensor is working correctly...

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 05:26 PM
i might be able to get it on ramps tomorrow, but it's cold and snowy out, so it's an unappealing prospect. I could also just back it up and see if there are any oil drips, too. More worried about banging around the steering components, since replacement seem to be made of unobtanium these days :(

CancerJCC
02-21-11, 05:27 PM
lol at unobtanium! Yeah hopefully its nothing but I would still put on my sweater and take a look. :)

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 05:29 PM
The car drove fine for the rest of the 10 mile trip. The steering seems to be a bit easier to the right than to the left, in terms of wheel feel, but it doesn't pull. And I have no idea if that "feel" was like that before the incident, as I never checked in detail, so I could just be paranoid there.

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 05:45 PM
just backed it out of it's spot - nothing on the ground!

CadzillaTN
02-21-11, 06:00 PM
There are alot of hydro lines running back and forth under there just after the plastic road guard, including the ones that feed the power steering actuator.. I stared at them all for many hours this weekend.

It would have had to take a nice plinko-like tumble to hit them but I guess it's possible.

I'm hoping you are borrowing the "easier to steer right than left" comment from reading previous thread responses about steering racks. That was the beginning of the end for mine...

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 06:41 PM
I'm hoping you are borrowing the "easier to steer right than left" comment from reading previous thread responses about steering racks. That was the beginning of the end for mine...

hmmm no - that's just how it felt to me when I was driving it afterwards :s. Now you have me worried.

Although at 126,000 miles, it could just be natural wear?

CadzillaTN
02-21-11, 08:13 PM
whoa whoa, hold on. I'm no Darkman. My posts are for entertainment purposes only. I claim no technical expertise on the V sans the issues involving projects I've taken on and painfully accomplished myself.

However, I just checked my manual and there's 195 pages on power steering. Based on what I'm reading and the symptoms I've had, I could easily have a dozen other issues including bad fluid, ps pump, ps pump pulley, pressure hose, return hose, crimped line, dirty fluid, debris in a line, worn belt, bad tie rod ends, loose intermediate shaft, and last but not least, bad steering gear.

anybody have a J44721 power steering analyzer?? me neither.

repenttokyo
02-21-11, 08:27 PM
lol = see Cadzilla, this is where my previously-mentioned paranoia kicks in!

rand49er
02-21-11, 08:56 PM
whoa whoa, hold on. I'm no Darkman. My posts are for entertainment purposes only. I claim no technical expertise on the V sans the issues involving projects I've taken on and painfully accomplished myself.

However, I just checked my manual and there's 195 pages on power steering. Based on what I'm reading and the symptoms I've had, I could easily have a dozen other issues including bad fluid, ps pump, ps pump pulley, pressure hose, return hose, crimped line, dirty fluid, debris in a line, worn belt, bad tie rod ends, loose intermediate shaft, and last but not least, bad steering gear.

anybody have a J44721 power steering analyzer?? me neither.Post of the Month Award!

:rofl:

That was the funniest post I've read so far in 2011!

:rofl:

Aurora40
02-22-11, 07:46 AM
anybody have a J44721 power steering analyzer?? me neither.

I looked into buying a J44721, but it turned out it's just this big rock. You line it up in the center of your car, drive over it at 20mph, then see if your steering, uh... different effort... left to right...

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/leaving.gif

Chris0nllyn
02-22-11, 04:30 PM
I'm a mini trucker at heart so I feel your pain....I have a S-10 (currently under the knife being bagged/bodydropped) that had a 4/5 drop on it....hit EVERYTHING....running over roadkill and getting stuck on speedbumps was no fun. :lol:

Then I had a Colorado lowered...(not as much as the S-10) but the trans crossmembers on those trucks hang REALLY low and it was pretty banged up and yellow from all the road hazards ansd speed bumps I hit in it.

repenttokyo
02-23-11, 01:46 PM
Update - So I was able to get under the car today, and I found what was hit. I've attached a pic circling the two areas, both on the passenger side.

My question is: is this just part of the subframe? What is up under there? Alignment is still fine, and it still seems to turn a bit easier to the right than to the left.

Area 2 is bent up at the bottom front, while Area 1 is really pushed up from the bottom - up and away from the center of the car.

How hard are these components to replace?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72805&stc=1&d=1298486765

CadzillaTN
02-23-11, 02:04 PM
Did you feel behind those impact spots to see if any lines were crimped or damaged? There are 3 or 4 lines that run just behind area 2 but I don't know if they're steering or abs related..

repenttokyo
02-23-11, 02:09 PM
I haven't been able to get fully under the car yet, just enough to visually inspect. I can't reach my hand it without using ramps, which I will try tomorrow.

What are those parts? Is that the engine cradle or is it the subframe assembly? Nothing is leaking.

darkman
02-23-11, 06:48 PM
I think the damaged part is the subframe. In the picture it appears as though the rear of lower control arm is no longer in alignment with the front.

repenttokyo
02-23-11, 06:51 PM
just to clarify - the picture I provided is not my actual car, I just grabbed it to circle the areas damaged. sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear.

If the subframe was out of alignment, would I not notice that while driving? Is it possible the bending is just cosmetic? Is it possible to repair a bent subframe, or does it have to be replaced.

Thanks for replying Darkman.

I will try to take an actual picture tomorrow when I get under there with ramps.

kevm14
02-23-11, 09:06 PM
I was about to say...first the picture then "I haven't gotten under the car yet." I thought about a wide angle lens then just kinda dismissed it. That makes more sense.

I agree it appears to be all sub-frame stuff, which is what you would want a rock to hit.