: 18" srx wheels that have been chrome plated

22velocity
02-21-11, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the stock 18" wheels and then having them chrome plated or PVC plated? I currently have a Radiant silver 2011 that is 3 weeks old. My only dissapointment is the stock wheels. I did not want to spend the additional 6 thousand to move from the luxury model that I got to go up to the performance model plus $450 for the 20" chromes. Any thoughts? Thanks,Frank

b4z
02-21-11, 04:23 PM
Theres lots of options and many companies that will do whatever you want to them. Just ship them the wheels or buy them outright on ebay.
Hyperblack, black chrome, chrome, graphite, matte black etc. are just some of the things you can do.

Personally, I am not a fan of chrome wheels on silver cars, they kind of disappear.

b4z
02-21-11, 04:29 PM
Here ya' go.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=2010-11+srx+wheels&_sacat=&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=srx+wheels&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Smokin' SRX
02-21-11, 08:50 PM
B4Z has given same advice I woulda! I saw a guy also on ebay that claimed a "PVD" process opposed to plating (typical process) His add said "Chrome rusts! get my PVD" type. Prices were comparable I recall. If it's a 39 month lease, just wax 'em occasionally. If you own it............consider PVD for a longer term trouble free experience perhaps?

Best wishes! I wouldn't have it without the chromes myself!

SS

PS..........as a MUCH cheaper alternative, ebay also has a few chromed center caps(replacements for OE!) Some all chrome, some with GOLD Caddy wreath and crest too! Really dresses up the rims big time! Many auto brands use this approach to fancy up a plainer rim.......

22velocity
02-22-11, 10:35 AM
Smokin Srx, I was actually hoping to hear from someone who had either the PVD process or the chromeplating process done to their wheels and how they turned out. The company in Michigan that does the PVD process looks like a good alternative, plus I would be able to keep the better ride quality of the 18" tires with the wider sidewalls. Frank

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 01:09 PM
Smokin Srx, I was actually hoping to hear from someone who had either the PVD process or the chromeplating process done to their wheels and how they turned out. The company in Michigan that does the PVD process looks like a good alternative, plus I would be able to keep the better ride quality of the 18" tires with the wider sidewalls. Frank

Sorry I cannot answer that personally, but I too would keep the 18" wheels! I almost sold my 20" chromes and traded for the chromed 18" on Ebay, just to get the softer ride!! Look at the sellers sat. rating on Ebay, for a good insight.

I'm a fanatic about ride quality/air pressure. But, in a month or 2, I actually found it OK if I put 2 lbs less air pressure (33 cold) than recco'd, (35) for all but highway speed rides, lasting more than 5-10 minutes, or carrying more than my wife and I on board. I will definitely loose 10% of my tire life but that's OK with me.

Beware, I do NOT recco going below this level for long, highway speeds or full load trips. Indeed, I add a pound or two (37PSI cold) if I'm on a long highway trip with 4 passengers,etc. Blowouts, while rare, can occur, with a significantly lower air pressure than needed. GM sets it's air reccos based on the car, ride/handling desired, and tire manufacturers range of usable limits. It is a compromise. Our TPMS only alerts us when the tire is already seriously low and an immediate slowdown/pullover required. Pls check your tires weekly.......with a guage! LOL

SS