: Technical Service Bulletin - 2010 Cadillac SRX non-ACDelco Oil Filters

DCSerafin
02-21-11, 09:12 AM
I have recently heard at my local barbershop that there is a technical bulletin regarding the powertrain warranties being voided due to non-ACDelco filters not being used in many GM vehicles including the 2010 Cadillac SRX.
The poor fellow had a Buick Enclave with ~35000 miles (5 year/100,000 mile warranty). He had the oil changed at the suggested intervals but the mechanic (JiffyLube, etc) was using another oil filter brand. The engine had major issues, but the warranty was voided and he had to pick up the tab for an engine overhall in excess of $2000.00

Is there such an issue? Are the ACDelco oil filters at the local auto-parts store good enough? This is very troubling.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-01-11, 01:28 PM
I apologize but I was unable to find any documentation that actually states that if you use an oil filter that isn't an ACDelco oil filter that your warranty would in fact be voided. The only way I could see this actually happening would be if a dealership were to actually be able to find that an issue was caused by the incorrect oil filter being on the vehicle making it operate outside of the specifications set by GM. I did find in the owners manual for the 2010 model that the part number for the ACDelco filter is PF457G and the GM part number is 12593333. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Srchief
05-30-11, 11:42 AM
I used to run a small chain of Oil Change shops and I kept a copy of the Massy-fergerson Act (a federal law) in each store. It states that any manufacturer that requires a specific brand of oil/ filters etc to keep a warranty in effect must suppy them free of charge. As long as the filter put ona car was listed by its manufacture to be correct for that application GM should not have voided the warranty. If the filter was defective a claim should have been made against the manufacter of that filter.
I had a couple of claims like that that was paid. A Toyota dealer used to stamp his warranty papers that service and parts had to be provided by Toyota to maintain the warranty and after I showed the law to some people and they tried to get free service at Toyota they were given new warranty books without the stamps.

Ranger
06-01-11, 02:33 PM
There is no Massy-Fergerson act. I think you may be talking about the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

RippyPartsDept
06-02-11, 03:36 PM
yeah, Massey-Ferguson is a tractor company

Submariner409
06-05-11, 06:21 PM
................and that guy is no Senior Chief (Petty Officer).