: How much gas left in tank when "low fuel" light comes on?

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 09:22 AM
So im one of those people that wait for the low fuel light to come on before i get gas:bonkers: i know its probably not good for the fuel pump, but i've always been like that with all my cars...But anyway, i thought this car had a 17 gal tank but the other day i was able to put 17.1 gals in there, that was after driving the car about 12 miles after low fuel light came on...So how big is the tank anyway?

Aurora40
02-21-11, 09:52 AM
I believe it's about 17.5 gallons. I've never had any low fuel message come on, and I've run it down to where it took >17 gallons too. So I try to keep my eye on the gauge.

V-Guy
02-21-11, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I've had similar experiences - by the time the low fuel warning comes on the DIC, there is damn little gas left in the tank. I wouldn't try to quantify it, but it's time to look for petrol.

mstrjon32
02-21-11, 10:16 AM
I'd be interested to know myself. I'm the same way, I don't even think about gas until I see the low fuel light. My truck has about 50 miles left in it when the light comes on, but with the V I don't get the feeling I have long. I will say that the gallons used calculator seems to be pretty accurate...last time I filled up I reset it, and the car took the exact amount from the pump that the computer indicated (17.1).

kevm14
02-21-11, 10:32 AM
Generally that means your average MPG is also accurate. DTE, though, I wouldn't trust at the end of the tank. I understand people use it that way sometimes but that's just asking for trouble.

rand49er
02-21-11, 11:02 AM
... by the time the low fuel warning comes on the DIC, there is damn little gas left in the tank. I wouldn't try to quantify it, but it's time to look for petrol.Agreed. I think there's barely enough to get to the side of the road.

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 12:51 PM
Agreed. I think there's barely enough to get to the side of the road.

In my 04 mustang there was like 3 gallons still left when the light came on. Thats weird that this car only gives you such a short warning...First time it came on i was thinking i still had like 3 gallons left, good thing i didnt keep driving and got gas haha
so the tank is 17.5? wow, so that means the light doesnt come on till theres only about 1 gallon left, thats strange.

V-Guy
02-21-11, 12:57 PM
In my 04 mustang there was like 3 gallons still left when the light came on. Thats weird that this car only gives you such a short warning...First time it came on i was thinking i still had like 3 gallons left, good thing i didnt keep driving and got gas haha
so the tank is 17.5? wow, so that means the light doesnt come on till theres only about 1 gallon left, thats strange.

I agree. I'm a Harley guy, and I'm used to having approx. 30 miles left in the tank after I have to switch it to reserve. For some reason, that "30 miles" figure has always stuck in my head with respect to the low fuel warnings in all the cars and trucks I've owned over the years, and my V is the first vehicle I've had that appears to be way under that. I actually think there is less than a gallon in the tank when the warning comes on the DIC.

CancerJCC
02-21-11, 02:13 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/TuEdU_lrtZk/0.jpg

Mystical_Ice
02-21-11, 03:11 PM
when the DIC "Low fuel" warning comes on, you can dismiss it by pressing 'ok'. After another few miles it will go on a second time.

... I've never tried pushing it further than that.

Jbawden
02-21-11, 03:17 PM
While I'm aware this discussion is about how much fuel is left when the light comes on, you guys are acting like the light is the only source of info about fuel left in the tank. The analog fuel gauge does a great job of articulating the contents of the tank. This is an enthusiasts car and as the primary driver you should be aware of the gauges. If I'm driving along and I'm surprised when the low fuel warning comes up I consider that a failure.

heavymetals
02-21-11, 03:32 PM
Do a search for how many people have RUN OUT OF GAS.

A lot!

I look for a station when I hit 1/4 tank.

Aurora40
02-21-11, 03:58 PM
It goes through that last 1/4 one hell of a lot quicker than any of the other 3...

V-Guy
02-21-11, 04:01 PM
This is an enthusiasts car and as the primary driver you should be aware of the gauges.

No kidding? Wow, that's news.

V-Guy
02-21-11, 04:01 PM
This is an enthusiasts car and as the primary driver you should be aware of the gauges.

I think you're missing the point.

kevm14
02-21-11, 04:07 PM
GM has seemingly struggled with this exact phenomenon for decades. Yet some of their vehicles have totally normal gas gauges. My wife's 2000 Malibu is totally normal. My cousin's 2001 Z06 was totally normal. My 93 Caprice is just like our CTSs: non-linear and if it gets close to E, you are really close to E. The going theory for all the 80s and 90s Cadillacs with this gas gauge was GM was playing on human psychology. People reasoned that GM figured owners would rather see the first half of the tank take forever to go through, giving the appearance of good mileage. I never understood that explanation because the truth would be plainly obvious during the latter "half" of the tank. But it also doesn't seem to be a technological hurdle as they have cars that don't exhibit this. I also know that varnish on the sending unit wiper can cause non-linear readings, but it's really more of an exacerbation of a stock design characteristic. The cars, even new, did the same thing, just maybe not as bad. In fact, in the B-body community, someone went to great lengths to create an analog device that allowed you to calibrate F and E by inserting it in parallel to the sending unit output wires. On the Impala SS, this characteristic would actually break the functionality of the stock low fuel warning light. Once recalibrated, the gauge once again saw the correct 0-90 ohm resistance of the sending unit. My 95 Fleetwood was really low if the 16 bar VFD display changed to "low."

Run some Techron through a tank or two of gas and that should clean the sending unit up as much as is possible without replacing it or taking it apart.

A look through HP Tuners suggests that this might be correctable in software.

rand49er
02-21-11, 09:36 PM
"Decades" is right.

When I was in high school (many moons ago), I got to drive my mom's car quite a bit ... it had been my grandpa's car before that. It was a '60 Pontiac Catalina. 389 cu in, two-barrel carb, 4-spd auto, two-ton slug. HUGE bench seat made going to the drive-in movie a very comfortable experience.

Oh ... yeah ... back on topic. Yeah, I was coming to that. That dang gas gauge would go down right at "E" and that sucker would actually then go up just a bit. I bet I ran out of gas a half dozen times if I did once.

So, that's five decades that I can personally attest to.

mstrjon32
02-22-11, 09:07 AM
A while back, I had a 1997 Monte Carlo and my mom had a 1995 Lumina LS. They're both W-body cars, they both had the same 3.1L engine, and the same capacity tank. Neither car had a low fuel light.

Well, the Monte could be run down past the second red mark on the gauge, well past the "E" markings, and still have about 2 gallons left. I was visiting my parents, and found myself driving my mom's car...well...I will say it gets to the first warning line (there are two) and that car is out of gas. Basically the same car, and yet, very different fuel gauge behavior. GM fuel gauges are a crap shoot.

ichpen
02-22-11, 09:21 AM
So im one of those people that wait for the low fuel light to come on before i get gas:bonkers: i know its probably not good for the fuel pump, but i've always been like that with all my cars...But anyway, i thought this car had a 17 gal tank but the other day i was able to put 17.1 gals in there, that was after driving the car about 12 miles after low fuel light came on...So how big is the tank anyway?

Caution, I've run it dry twice. When my light comes on it usually means I have about 3 miles. Found that out the hard way.

Jbawden
02-22-11, 11:52 AM
.....The going theory for all the 80s and 90s Cadillacs with this gas gauge was GM was playing on human psychology. People reasoned that GM figured owners would rather see the first half of the tank take forever to go through, giving the appearance of good mileage. I never understood that explanation because the truth would be plainly obvious during the latter "half" of the tank. But it also doesn't seem to be a technological hurdle as they have cars that don't exhibit this.

The gauges that accompanied your explanation from the 1980's were digital and read "full" at fill up and then counted down remaining gallons. With linear programing the gauge did not display "full" for very long (10-15 miles?) and owners complained about the perception of poor mileage. I'd prefer a linear gauge, but it's not so bad to have the gauge sit on full for a while, especially after dropping $60 in the tank.

Jbawden
02-22-11, 11:54 AM
.....The going theory for all the 80s and 90s Cadillacs with this gas gauge was GM was playing on human psychology. People reasoned that GM figured owners would rather see the first half of the tank take forever to go through, giving the appearance of good mileage. I never understood that explanation because the truth would be plainly obvious during the latter "half" of the tank. But it also doesn't seem to be a technological hurdle as they have cars that don't exhibit this.

The gauges that accompanied your explanation from the 1980's were digital and read "full" at fill up and then counted down remaining gallons. With linear programing the gauge did not display "full" for very long (10-15 miles?) and owners complained about the perception of poor mileage. I'd prefer a linear gauge, but it's not so bad to have the gauge sit on full for a while, especially after dropping $60 in the tank.

Mangtas83
02-22-11, 06:49 PM
Caution, I've run it dry twice. When my light comes on it usually means I have about 3 miles. Found that out the hard way.
mine came on at the track the other day, i ran 2 more times after that and drove almost 10 miles to the gas station and didnt run out...so i guess not every car is the same?
And to the guy that said enthusiasts should be aware of their gauges, you're missing the point. I'm not saying drive till light comes one, im just wondering how much gas is still left.

Doctechx
02-22-11, 11:38 PM

Ditto... Embarrassed to say I have run out twice as well. I was used to driving my Silverado, which had a good 50 miles when the low fuel light flashed. I was surprised with the V. On the second occurence, I dismissed the warning by hitting the OK button once, but ran out before it even had a chance to reappear. Needless to say, I don't go below 1/4 tank anymore.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-11, 01:04 AM
i have had the light come on as I pull up to the pump. As soon as it says low fuel I am watching for the gas stations...

V-Guy
02-23-11, 09:37 AM
And to the guy that said enthusiasts should be aware of their gauges, you're missing the point.

Yeah, that's kinda like telling a skydiver he should be aware of his altitude.

exodus82
02-23-11, 11:41 AM
The design of these tanks is a flaw. I remember reading somewhere, maybe here, that when they were testing the CTS-V when it came out at a track they were having problems with the engine cutting out around corners. They didn't think it was lack of fuel because they had half a tank. Turns out they didn't realise when it says half a tank it easily around 1/4 of a tank. My needle drops at reasonable rate from full to half a tank and then drops like I've got a whole in my tank.

Many times I think I have a lot of fuel and then very quickly the guage is dropping. My estimate from seeing the fuel warning go on many times and filling up is that you have about 3-4 miles after that warning. I panick and lose my mind every time I see it and am not sure where the closest station is.

Twitch
02-24-11, 09:32 AM
If I'm driving along and I'm surprised when the low fuel warning comes up I consider that a failure.
:werd:
Mine has more than a few miles after the light. But I'm trying ti get into the habit of filling up early.

BTW I don't think he's missing the point at all. It's just that people turned this thread with a legitimate question into a complaint thread.

Jbawden
02-24-11, 11:11 AM
How about the original question was like asking "how low (altitude) can I go before I open my parachute?". It's just not good practice but if you guys want to debate if there is 1 gallon or .25 gallons left fine by me. If the gauge says "E" it's empty and my point was you should avoid ever running that low. Don't get your Harley branded undies in a wad over this V-guy, geezus.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 07:27 PM
In my experience, fuel pumps are more efficient the first half tank or so. So I rarely go down below a 1/2 tank. Unless there are NO gas stations on your daily route, I don't see any reason to.

V-Guy
02-24-11, 11:45 PM
How about the original question was like asking "how low (altitude) can I go before I open my parachute?". It's just not good practice but if you guys want to debate if there is 1 gallon or .25 gallons left fine by me. If the gauge says "E" it's empty and my point was you should avoid ever running that low. Don't get your Harley branded undies in a wad over this V-guy, geezus.

No problem here - my only issue is someone stating the obvious (be aware of your guages), with the implication that it's news. That's a little insulting.

And I'm damn proud of my Harley boxers, thank you. :thumbsup:

JimmyH
02-25-11, 12:57 PM
Come on, keep it on topic. Enough about underwear, people. We have had a good streak of not having to close threads in here, let's keep it going.

MikeV
02-25-11, 08:42 PM
I had to recondition myself after coming to the V from an '06 Acura TL 6MT. When the gas light came on in that car there was a full 5 gallons (over 125 mile range!) left in the tank. With the V when I hit quarter tank I have about 20 mile range.

rand49er
02-25-11, 10:23 PM
Come on, keep it on topic. Enough about underwear, people. We have had a good streak of not having to close threads in here, let's keep it going.Geez. I read this and thought the thread had morphed into one of those R-rated threads ... you know, minus the nips, so I quickly clicked back to the 2nd page to see what all the fuss was about all the while hoping there were some pictures of SCWs (scantily clad wenches), and it was only a comment by V-Guy about his Harley boxers. Darn!

Okay. Carry on.

WesH8398
02-26-11, 11:40 AM
I know from unfortunate experience that when your DIC readout says "low range", you'd better get to a gas station QUICK. Otherwise you'll find yourself coasting onto the shoulder of the road and walking to the nearest gas station to buy a new gas can and a few gallons of fuel. As someone else said, that analogue gauge is a pretty damn good indicator too.

V-Guy
02-27-11, 09:56 AM
Geez. I read this and thought the thread had morphed into one of those R-rated threads ... you know, minus the nips, so I quickly clicked back to the 2nd page to see what all the fuss was about all the while hoping there were some pictures of SCWs (scantily clad wenches), and it was only a comment by V-Guy about his Harley boxers. Darn!

Okay. Carry on.

Yeah, that was a pretty calm exchange, so I was a little surprised at the admonition - but I'm a compliant Guy (here anyway). And in that regard, I intentionally ran my gas level down until the warning came on the DIC last night (being ever-vigilant in observing my guages, or course), then drove 2.8 miles to a gas station, and promptly put 17.2 gallons in the tank - topping it off as much as possible. (This is Indiana, so I didn't go to jail for 1st-degree "topping-off").

I'm no math major, but that certainly indicates to me that there's no more than a gallon or so - at most - in the tank when the DIC finally joins the discussion.

Twitch
02-27-11, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty calm exchange, so I was a little surprised at the admonition - but I'm a compliant Guy (here anyway). And in that regard, I intentionally ran my gas level down until the warning came on the DIC last night (being ever-vigilant in observing my guages, or course), then drove 2.8 miles to a gas station, and promptly put 15.2 gallons in the tank - topping it off as much as possible. (This is Indiana, so I didn't go to jail for 1st-degree "topping-off").

I'm no math major, but that certainly indicates to me that there's no more than a gallon or so - at most - in the tank when the DIC finally joins the discussion.
:confused: Did you mean 17.2 gallons?

V-Guy
02-27-11, 04:06 PM
:confused: Did you mean 17.2 gallons?

Oops. I hate typos! Thanks for the catch - post edited accordingly!!

CadzillaTN
02-27-11, 06:41 PM
Thankfully my guage is pretty accurate and never left me stranded. We all want to refuel ahead of time but sometimes it's just not possible. I've been very close to empty had to pull in after the first low fuel warning a few times.

Once I had already driven about 5 miles after seeing the first message... I pull in, and the station is completely out of gas. I then had to drive about a mile to the next station and I think the message came on 3 or 4 more times. I was yelling at the dic "I know!" "I know!". I could have sworn it was boinging at me too, but can't remember.

V-Guy
02-28-11, 10:10 AM
I was yelling at the dic "I know!" "I know!"

Sounds like something my ex-wife would say!

mberisha
03-01-11, 06:30 AM
My gauge just said "Low Range" last nite....V took 57 liters...what ever the hell that means!? ;>

V-Guy
03-01-11, 08:06 AM
My gauge just said "Low Range" last nite....V took 57 liters...what ever the hell that means!? ;>

That's interesting! So if my math is correct, since there's 1.057 quarts in a liter, that's 15.06 gallons. Sounds like you get an earlier warning!

lucasmartin
03-01-11, 05:29 PM
I've been monitoring this over the last three tanks and have purposely ran the car until I got the warning from DIC. On all three occasions I had between a a half-gallon and a gallon and a half left (assuming we have 17.5 gallons empty and based on average mileage). Thus, I agree with one of the above posters that says as soon as that warning comes on you better be on the lookout for gas. I have also noticed that if you click on fuel range in the info screen, the "low range" warning comes up WAY sooner than the flash alert you get on DIC.

kevm14
03-01-11, 09:08 PM
Maybe due to the ***LOOK AT THIS*** nature of the low fuel warning on the DIC (I've never seen it on mine) they don't want it going off until you really are that low. A polite little light in the fuel gauge area would be more appropriate when you have 4+ gallons left.

Cadillac6sp
03-06-11, 06:02 PM
I have been a victim of running out of fuel, ignoring it a little longer than i should. i am gonna say 20-30 miles left or a gallon when my low fuel warning turned on. Lucky a couple guys in a 'Vette pulled over and helped me push it somewhere safe. Funny, that guy even told me it has happened to him a few times also, so curious when the 'Vette indicator comes on. The gas station was less than quarter mile away..i agree after 1/4 of a tank, i start thinking about fueling up. Couple stomps on the pedal and your done.

lollygagger8
03-07-11, 01:50 PM
"Decades" is right.

When I was in high school (many moons ago), I got to drive my mom's car quite a bit ... it had been my grandpa's car before that. It was a '60 Pontiac Catalina. 389 cu in, two-barrel carb, 4-spd auto, two-ton slug. HUGE bench seat made going to the drive-in movie a very comfortable experience.

OMG Randy, my mom had one of those growing up!! I think it was a 70's model with like a 455 or something crazy big, but ya the bench seat was so huge you could evade her swinging arm when it came flying towards you!

Thank you to that engineer for saving the side of my face so many times :2thumbs:

lollygagger8
03-07-11, 01:58 PM
There's a gauge there for a reason. If you run out of gas you deserve to get stranded. The one time may be acceptable if you are on a long road trip in the middle of mountains and/or desert with very little opportunities to fill up.

That said, I don't usually fill it up all the way to keep the weight down. That way if the opportunity for a quick spirited drive vs. another hopeful young chap in their soon to be "not as fast as I thought I was" motor vehicle presents itself, I'm just that tad bit lighter. :lildevil:

shadybx7
03-07-11, 02:51 PM
/\ lol... grind some welds while your at it

OP, thanks for this thread i had no idea how much gas would be left just assumed it was under 40 miles of range left.. the DIC just says low range after 40mil.. every other car's DIC will show them down to the last mile... :tear:

V-Guy
03-07-11, 03:22 PM
There's a gauge there for a reason. If you run out of gas you deserve to get stranded.

Oh, listen to you. You telling me that if Tested On Animals has just finished some kick-ass gig, and you're on the way home with the beautiful young blonde winner of the "Groupie De Jour" contest, and you're at 1/8 of a tank, youi're going to ruin the mood and STOP FOR GAS!!?!? I respectfully (but sincerely) doubt that. You'll head straight home, knowing that if the "low fuel" warning comes up on the DIC, the wisdom you've gleaned from this thread will preserve the quality of your evening.

I'm just sayin . . . .

lollygagger8
03-10-11, 01:14 PM
Oh, listen to you. You telling me that if Tested On Animals has just finished some kick-ass gig, and you're on the way home with the beautiful young blonde winner of the "Groupie De Jour" contest, and you're at 1/8 of a tank, youi're going to ruin the mood and STOP FOR GAS!!?!? I respectfully (but sincerely) doubt that. You'll head straight home, knowing that if the "low fuel" warning comes up on the DIC, the wisdom you've gleaned from this thread will preserve the quality of your evening.

I'm just sayin . . . .

Of course I wouldn't stop for gas. Don't be silly, after I gave her the first place prize, I'd send her on her free complimentary trip and make her push us to the next gas station while I steered.

V-Guy
03-10-11, 01:17 PM
Of course I wouldn't stop for gas. Don't be silly, after I gave her the first place prize, I'd send her on her free complimentary trip and make her push us to the next gas station while I steered.

Beautiful - simply beautiful.

PORGUY
03-11-11, 01:10 AM
I can personally verify that you have VERY limited milage left...I'm gonna agree with the 1 gallon left theory.
I ran out in the parking lot OF the gas station...REALLY imbarassing.
When that bitch comes on and tells me I'm low on gas, shes NOT joking, I don't pass up the next station!!!

D3l7a3ch0
03-11-11, 01:15 AM
I don't see why not stop with the groupie

heavymetals
03-11-11, 02:21 AM
I don't get it, with a hot groupie that is the best time to "run out of gas" and be stranded. :histeric:

jordan00escalade
03-11-11, 02:56 AM
just so I'm on topic... somebody wants to know how much gas they have when the computer says... "low fuel" see that's why you can't write checks at the gas station no more!! I bet the answer to that question is in the manual though.. lol *ding.. LOW FUEL* ahem, "PUT SOME GAS IN THE CAR NOW!" everybody's a wise guy

CASINO

lollygagger8
03-11-11, 03:38 PM
If you played your cards right earlier, you don't need the ran out of gas excuse.

Besides, why show the whole world (aka other catty "prospects" who will just fight about it later) who the latest conquest was? Plus you can deny it easier later since nobody saw :shhh:

JimmyH
03-11-11, 03:41 PM
que?

Koooop
03-11-11, 04:52 PM
By the time my light comes on, the display should read:

"HEY STUPID, YOU'RE OUT OF GAS"!

A little over a 1/2 Gallon is left in mine.

jordan00escalade
03-11-11, 05:00 PM
I don't want to sound sexist.. but my wife does *$&% like that. Always driving around UNDER a quarter tank. Pisses me off too, it should actually say "prepare to replace fuel pump" instead of low fuel.

D3l7a3ch0
03-12-11, 06:03 PM
I don't want to sound sexist.. but my wife does *$&% like that. Always driving around UNDER a quarter tank. Pisses me off too, it should actually say "prepare to replace fuel pump" instead of low fuel.

You don't sound sexist, you sound whipped :-D

Brad1970
03-13-11, 01:23 PM
I'm glad I did read this thread though, cause I'm used to low fuel warning coming on and getting like 20 to 40 more miles before it gets serious. I probably drove a good 7 to 13 miles more with the low fuel message on the DIC & but the fuel gauge wasn't on the bottom circle.

shadybx7
03-13-11, 05:09 PM
the ecu reads 103 out of 1100~ fuel % on my areoforce when the warning appears

mberisha
04-12-11, 03:30 AM
Well I was crusing on the Autobahn yesterday at about 115mph w/a a little less than a quarter tank of gas....then all of a sudden my gas needle dropped and the "LOW RANGE" came up....clicked okay....and then "FUEL LEVEL LOW" popped up.

I was about 3 miles from base...so cruised to the pumps and the V sucked down 65 liters exactly....~17.17 gallons....

Also....got 13.4mpg for the tank!

V-Guy
04-12-11, 06:55 AM
I've had very similar experiences (minus the Autobahn part!), although I often misread my gas gauge (duh). That last 1/8 mark looks like 1/4 to me at first glance - and it's nowhere close to even 1/8 in actual volume, as we've established here.

aantalis
04-15-11, 04:32 PM
My vote is 3/4 to 1 gallon. I was leaving work when the light came on. I made it 14 miles of the 17 mi to my favorite Marathon station and ran out last week. That was city driving so I think 3/4 to 1 gallon is all you get.

Fasciaguy
04-15-11, 06:00 PM
Well thanks for making my day guys the reading on this post was entertaining at least. Figured I might as well throw out my $.02.
I had a CTS that a young lady ran dry thinking she could go 30 miles with the light on. Not sure those have the same tank because I think I could only get about 16 gal in that car. But since owning the CTSV which she doesnt drive, I have gone at least 20 miles with the light on myself. Never ran out though but I'm guessing now I was closer than I thought.
Having worked in fuel systems I do know that one problem they used to have was the odd shapes that tanks are being blow molded into. The older steel tanks had a fairly consistant volume from top to bottom but now with blow molding they take advantage of every little space available and can have a tank that has 10 gall in the top half and only 6 in the bottom. Sorry still doesnt answer the original question but I would have to agree with the est of about 1 gal.

JimmyH
04-15-11, 06:04 PM
20 miles is definitely pushing your luck. If I were you, do not repeat http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif

LAYGO
04-17-11, 12:42 AM
Glad I read this now vs trying to find out how long the V would go!

crankedupforit
04-17-11, 10:59 AM
There is a Technical Service Bulletin issued to change the display from "Low Fuel" to "You're F*cked".

DDS rollin a CTS
05-10-11, 09:47 AM
So I learned first hand yesterday that when the needle is bouncing back and forth between 1/8th of a tank and empty, it really means "empty". Also, the V is REALLY F*CKING HEAVY when youre PUSHING it into the gas station!

D3l7a3ch0
05-10-11, 10:33 AM
lol. yeah uh, about the top end of the gauge... i made it from san antonio to killeen on 1/8 of a tank hah

JimmyH
05-10-11, 02:15 PM
oops

zinner
05-10-11, 02:19 PM
You maybe have 10 miles left when it hits the light. I have run out of gas and I maybe got 10 miles after the light came on. When the light is on you better be on the way to the gas station.

JDB
05-11-11, 12:19 PM
Light came on for me yesterday... drove another 7 miles in traffic...filled up with 17.1 gals

jordan00escalade
05-11-11, 07:00 PM
Doesn't the fuel pump use the gas to keep it cool? I mean if it does, and your riding on anything short of 1/4 tank isn't that bad for your fuel pump? I know the dirt being sucked into your pump and filters has already been disclosed. In my manual for the DTS it says once the "low fuel" light comes on, I have approximately 40 miles left.

D3l7a3ch0
05-11-11, 08:36 PM
Well I was crusing on the Autobahn yesterday

SHOWOFF. ok maybe i'm just jealous. lol :cool:

Doesn't the fuel pump use the gas to keep it cool?

yessir. little known fact.

yooper
05-11-11, 08:54 PM
If you are on the road course and the light comes on, you are already out of gas if you are at Road America. :duck:

JDB
05-11-11, 09:04 PM
If you are on the road course and the light comes on, you are already out of gas if you are at Road America. :duck:

BTDT at MidOhio with my Audi A4... gotta keep it above 1/8 tank. was not happy they locked the race gas pump after lunch on the 2nd day. um, need fuel, guys... sputtered around a lap and then proceeded to run around the paddock with my helmet on like a loony looking for a spare gas tank.

LAYGO
05-12-11, 02:11 PM
Doesn't the fuel pump use the gas to keep it cool? I mean if it does, and your riding on anything short of 1/4 tank isn't that bad for your fuel pump?

I can attest to this in my Impala SS. Driving from Dallas to Houston & had sorta roughed the math out to know I was going to need gas by Madisonville. Well, as I was closing in on Madisonville, I was REALLY low on gas (light was on for awhile). Two exits away & I lose all power. Not like running out of gas losing power, was just odd. No sputtering, just no power. I coasted to about a mile away from the exit. I came to stop, turned it off & then couldn't get it started, sat for 15mins while I contemplated my options at 11pm. I tried to start it again after awhile & it started up no problem & I made it to the gas station no problem. Made it all the way to my destination in Houston & home without a problem. Never had another problem again after that.

Running scanner on codes, it just said it was starved for fuel around the time of the incident, but that was it.

Later I realized that the fuel pump had just overheated & needed to cool off & works flawlessly still to this day. This incident was like 8-9yrs ago too. Never changed it, but I never ran it that low again.

jordan00escalade
05-12-11, 02:23 PM
Not to mention it's like a thousand degrees in Texas on a cool winter night.. lol I lived in Texas for 10 years. You had to pass through Columbus to get to Dallas, it's just 75 miles outside of Houston. Back to the topic at hand, I had to replace a fuel pump on my 2000 Escalade. I learned from experience as well lol

JimmyH
05-12-11, 04:04 PM
I can attest to this in my Impala SS. Driving from Dallas to Houston & had sorta roughed the math out to know I was going to need gas by Madisonville. Well, as I was closing in on Madisonville, I was REALLY low on gas (light was on for awhile). Two exits away & I lose all power. Not like running out of gas losing power, was just odd. No sputtering, just no power. I coasted to about a mile away from the exit. I came to stop, turned it off & then couldn't get it started, sat for 15mins while I contemplated my options at 11pm. I tried to start it again after awhile & it started up no problem & I made it to the gas station no problem. Made it all the way to my destination in Houston & home without a problem. Never had another problem again after that.

Running scanner on codes, it just said it was starved for fuel around the time of the incident, but that was it.

Later I realized that the fuel pump had just overheated & needed to cool off & works flawlessly still to this day. This incident was like 8-9yrs ago too. Never changed it, but I never ran it that low again.

i had something like that happen to me once on a car. I bet that is what it was. Fuel pump never occured to me. It never happened again and I just forgot about it.

LAYGO
05-12-11, 04:37 PM
i had something like that happen to me once on a car. I bet that is what it was. Fuel pump never occured to me. It never happened again and I just forgot about it.

Were you low on gas at the time too?

JimmyH
05-12-11, 04:41 PM
I don't remember. It was a 94 Grand Cherokee. It was hot as hell. I was on the interstate, stopped in traffic at a toll booth. It just died suddenly, and would not restart. After sitting on the shoulder for a little while, it finally restarted. I seem to recall it wouldn't idle. I think I had to put it in neutral and rev it when stopped. As soon as I got home I parked it. The next day it started right up, I went to the station to fill up, and never had that problem again. I chalked it up to bad gas. But who knows.

Koooop
05-30-11, 11:17 AM
Here's how much gas you can put in a V when the light is on.

mberisha
05-31-11, 09:56 AM
wow...how long was the light on for?

Koooop
05-31-11, 06:07 PM
Probably 15 miles on a hilly freeway with nowhere to stop. I turned the air off and feather footed it! I do believe I was on fumes.

mberisha
06-01-11, 04:36 AM
I would say you are correct....congrats on getting the V to a gas station w/the light on for 15 miles on hills however....

mberisha
02-06-13, 10:40 PM
Filled up today....and this is where the pump "auto clicked/stopped".....

Hit the gas station 3 miles after the "Low Fuel" light came on....?

http://img003.picture2life.net/20687791/175_original_medium.png

carlson_mn
02-06-13, 11:19 PM
Nice to know... thinking the tank probably has a capacity of a .2-.3 more that it will actually take. FWI when the DIC yells at me and if I get gas right away it is always 16.5 gallons. I also come form the Nissan world where the polite low fuel light on the cluster means 4+ gallons.

Koooop
02-07-13, 12:44 AM
The warning in the V simply means "hey stupid! You're out of gas!"

gruvent
02-07-13, 09:41 AM
I wish I would have read this thread before I got my V. Fuel light came on and I ignored it for a few mins, then forgot about it. My phone battery died and reminded me that I needed fuel. I said to my self this would really suck if I ran out of gas without a cell phone! Well.. 45 seconds after the phone died, the car died. Nearest gas/phone 1/2 mile. Had to walk it at night in light rain with a 3 year old! I now fill the car up when it gets to 1/2 tank. By the way, I'm in Flat Florida and the car went 22 miles before it ran out of fuel.

JDB
02-07-13, 03:19 PM
What's even more stupid is that I posted above in May 2011 about running out of gas on track in another car and then proceeded to do the same in the V at Summit Point only a few months later ...took twice at T3 of the car shutting off and then it hit me what is was...
:suspense:
Thankfully it fired up and made it to the pits gas pump.

ctsvoom
02-07-13, 10:46 PM
The first time it ran out of gas I thought what an ass hat. The second time I did it, yes a second time I said that would be the last. I have realized that when that light comes on I have no more than 20 miles to find a station or someone will be bringing me gas. I rarely wait for the light now I just go fill up.

CTSV_Rob
02-08-13, 11:54 PM
I actually learned on a rental CTS so I have never run out in the V. I was lucky, I was able to coast about 100 feet from a gas station and they let me borrow a can. They should warn people to make sur to look for a gas station now when that warning appears.

Koooop
02-09-13, 12:17 AM
The E means it's empty! This isn't rocket science!

fej
02-09-13, 11:41 AM
The light comes on in my 06 2500hd Silverado with about 4.5 gallons left. Owned it new since 08 and have never put more than 24 gallons in its 26 gallon tank. Driven 40-50 miles a few times with the light on.

Having a car that has basically a gallon left when the light comes on is definitely not the norm so this is a good thread for a heads up to all of the newer owners (like me).

Fej

CTSV_Rob
02-09-13, 02:02 PM
:rofl:

And Cadillac made sure you learn that fact.

mberisha
02-09-13, 06:54 PM

http://www.clickz.com/IMG/117/105117/rocketscience-jpg.jpg?1277393208

Koooop
02-09-13, 08:25 PM

Oops, PUI.

odthetruth
02-11-13, 01:49 AM
If the light comes on (thats an IF. LOL) you might have a gallon left or so. 17.5 is the tank size, with about .4 extra sitting in fill neck, etc. I wouldn't check the actual gauge, since that normally seems to be all over the place by at LEAST 1/8th a tank. I would check the DIC info for FUEL USED, as thats normally much more accurate.

ZackLakatos
02-11-13, 04:13 AM
I got my V at a young age...19, i had no idea of dirt in the tank, didnt mind my fuel pump or anything of the sort. needless to say ive pressed the "ok" button sometimes 6-7 times and been fine. i have driven to and from work..about 25miles round trip with the light on, constantly pressing the OK button. Now that i have a maggied V with a $2,000 dual fuel pump, safe to say half-tank will be low in my eyes. And yes im on my 2nd V at 20 years old :D

IN CONCLUSION: i got about 18MPG consistently in my first V, so im guessing the light comes on at 2 gallons left since i easily drove 25Miles.

Koooop
02-11-13, 06:05 PM
Here's how much you can put in a V after 15-20 miles of low fuel warning.

mberisha
02-11-13, 07:57 PM
^^^^wow....alot more than I could EVER get mileage wise...

izcain
02-12-13, 12:46 AM
Just looked at the base tune for a bone stock 05 V and the ecu is calibrated to read E at 16.9 gallons. If you have efi the E could be where ever you want it to be it is just one flash away.:D

Brad1970
02-12-13, 10:23 AM
That's good to know!