: 01 Catera Headlight Assemblies

rsauers0
02-20-11, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know where to get new headlight assemblies that don't cost $400 a piece? Will assemblies from an Omega fit?

From what I have read, 97-99 assemblies will not fit? There are a couple sets on eBay but they are for 97-99 (still approx $350 for the set).

These headlight assemblies are a PITA!

1998catera
02-21-11, 02:36 AM
The 97-99 assemblies are not compatible. I purchased the set from eBay about five years ago for my 1998. They were a little slow to ship and arrive, but I found them to be fantastic. Sadly, they outlived the car itself.

hgqguy
02-21-11, 08:20 AM
type in catera euro on ebay. they have for the 2000-01 catera $329 a set I belive.. I dont like them cause they look factory... have u tried to clean your up?? if u wet sand them.. with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit then 2000 grit.. then get some clear lense cleaner from wallmart.. they Clean up VERY VERY well!! I have one new light in mine and one old.. and the old one is only slightly less clear.. you have to then do the clean up without the sanding.. about every 3-4 months and they look good. thats a $15 solution.. if thats why u want the lights. If u have a high speed buffer you can get then even better!

RippyPartsDept
02-21-11, 09:47 AM
XENON or non-HID?

$400 each is a pretty good price for the non-HID lamps (about 20% discount from list)

hgqguy
02-21-11, 10:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-CATERA-EURO-HID-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-SET-00-02-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439f5246daQQitemZ29043 5778266QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

link catera euro HID lights from germany $389 plus $65 shipping

rsauers0
02-21-11, 11:08 PM
They are non-HID. Yes I have cleaned then up dramatically (sanding and all) and they don't look too bad. I've pulled the lens off and all to clean the inside as well. One of them is shorting out somewhere inside the assembly though and I just want to replace them.

hgqguy - Thanks! I didn't think to search Catero Euro...

rsauers0
02-21-11, 11:20 PM
I assume that if I got HID projectors that I would need to get some type of conversion kit? Anyone have a recommendation for a good kit?

RippyPartsDept
02-21-11, 11:39 PM
i thought you didn't want to spend a lot of money?

you might be able to get some good quality used parts from a salvage car
http://car-part.com
try emailing or doing the live chats and see if they'll send you photos of the actual lamps so you can verify how good the lens quality is

rsauers0
02-22-11, 12:01 AM
I don't want to spend $800 on non-HID assemblies and then have to buy new bulbs (I'd get Silverstars). It'd be $900 before all is said and done, that's insane. The HID lights are $450 (ebay link above), plus a decent conversion kit from Germany is $110 + shipping. More light, lower price. Sounds good to me.

All in all it's still stupiditly expensive.

RippyPartsDept
02-22-11, 12:17 AM
or you could find some really good quality used lamps for $400 for a set (or less!)

hgqguy
02-22-11, 07:09 PM
How do u remove the lence to clean inside?? mine looks sorta dirty inside.. liek the chrome looks dull...

CateraMV6
02-23-11, 07:33 PM
I can sell you the entire HID conversion kit, ballasts, bulbs, an AUDI A6 projectors which bolt up to the housing, for 150$... I have upgraded the projectors with clear lenses which alone cost me 40$ for the set.

Ballasts are Hella GEN3-R with the D2S connectors. A non factory Ballast will require you to run a AMP to D2S converter.

CateraMV6
02-23-11, 07:34 PM
Here is a link to all the components.

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t152-catera-oem-xenon-kit

rsauers0
02-24-11, 06:07 PM
CateraMV6, That sounds good. So other than what I would get from you I just need the new housings, correct?

CateraMV6
02-25-11, 03:33 AM
As long as you have a pair of halogen units, I have the parts to convert them to the HID ones.
I also have one headlight which has internal bezel, as well as clear front lens, which can be swapped on any of the Fresnel ones I think.
In short you will need the other headlight.

RippyPartsDept
02-25-11, 08:36 AM
Technically it's illegal to convert headlamp housings that were not manufactured for HID into HID headlamps... while it's not enforced a lot if you do some searches for 'illegal hid' you'll find lots of forum posts on other forums of stories of people being pulled over and harassed by cops and even ticketed for their illegal hid conversion lamps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Retrofitting HID bulbs in headlamps not originally designed to accept them results in extremely high levels of glare, and is illegal throughout most of the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

http://dsl.torque.net/images/techdocs/NHTSA_Crackdown.jpg

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

Cadi Cat
02-25-11, 05:50 PM
Our catera's (with factory hid lamps) are fitted with a projector which eliminated the scattered lights that could be dangerous on the roads. To retrofit a halogen to hid we need to use the projector lens in the housings. CateraMV6 upgraded the right way. Instead of just throwing a cheap kit on with a bulb in the housings illuminating the entire lens and spreading out the light in all directions. I don't think it's illegal if you upgrade to hid with a projector lens. This way you can really adjust/focus the beam in any direction regardless of how bright you go. In the video they did not do it this way!

RippyPartsDept
02-25-11, 06:02 PM
I don't think it's illegal if you upgrade to hid with a projector lens.

i agree, but i don't think the law does (technically) - however, if you do it right you'll probably never get caught and no one will really ever know since the car was offered from the factory that way

i was mainly just posting that info for those who didn't know about this issue

ThatCoolDude
02-26-11, 03:52 AM
I bought the angel eyes from Germany it cost me $500 something wasted way too much money but the look it awesome, I put a 12000k hid kit on them. I also have these old oem projection ones, they're a little dinged up but with a little TLC they'll look nice, I don't need them so I'll sell them to you for $80 plus how ever much it cost to ship them to you. Deal of the Century man lol. :cool2:

AHazzardToAll
02-26-11, 02:18 PM
I bought the angel eyes from Germany it cost me $500 something wasted way too much money but the look it awesome, I put a 12000k hid kit on them. I also have these old oem projection ones, they're a little dinged up but with a little TLC they'll look nice, I don't need them so I'll sell them to you for $80 plus how ever much it cost to ship them to you. Deal of the Century man lol. :cool2:

I'll take you up on that if he passes. :cool2:

hgqguy
02-26-11, 02:57 PM
the halos' look really nice.. its sad its so costly for our 00-01 cateras.. i cant see spending 25% what i paid for the car on aftermarket lights.. as much as i would like them!