: Anyone watch the race?

Sevillian273
02-20-11, 10:13 PM
I've never really been into Nascar but the 500 today was epic. It was like a demolition derby out there with 16 caution flags. Also a record number of lead changes and a very unexpected win by a 20 year old rookie. He had to ask for directions to victory lane!

I wonder if the new pavement and the cooler-than-normal weather had anything to do with the high level of CARnage? In any event, it was one hell of a race! I may be following nascar more in the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7GGnQ7hmU

drewsdeville
02-20-11, 10:25 PM
I tried, I really did. Saw a few of the wrecks, those are always somewhat entertaining. However, I haven't actually watched Nascar for 8 years or so. It's really hard to watch a race now - I don't know who half of the field is anymore, who's good, who's not, who's on what team, who's sponsoring who... and I have little interest to re-learn it all. It'll never be the same for me.

Ranger
02-20-11, 10:33 PM
It was one of the most interesting and amazing races I've seen, start to finish, and the finish was awesome. Not only was it won by a 20 year (turned 20 the day before the race) old rookie (youngest winner ever), but it was only his 2nd Sprint Car race.

The 16 cautions was also a record.

Sevillian273
02-20-11, 10:38 PM
I share the same view with drew on it myself but today I happened to have the race on while at the computer and for the first time ever I found myself glued to the tv! The camera placements and replay coverage was exceptional. The only thing I find annoying about it is the ridiculous amount of product placement. Every camera viewpoint in the event from the bumper cams to the after-wreck interviews is plastered with logos... Its no coincidence that every driver is drinking a coke during every interview...

gary88
02-20-11, 10:50 PM
Sorry but :yawn:

Stingroo
02-20-11, 10:50 PM
Yeah, the product placement this year is unprecedented. Did you notice the "We <3 Logistics" sticker on the back of Ragan's steering wheel?

I only caught the end of the race. I had to work 12-4 today so I missed the good stuff. Sad to see Gordon caught up in a wreck - but that's all good because I smiled and jumped for joy when I got to see Dale Jr. get taken out. I'm blown away that the kid who won the race is younger than me, and just got turned into a multimillionaire in a day. That's mind-boggling. I'm in the wrong damn business!

The infrared heat cams this year are an interesting touch. I liked those. I didn't get to see much else honestly. I caught the last 30 laps. Glad the ridiculous looking front splitter is gone from the cars too.

Stingroo
02-20-11, 10:51 PM
Sorry but :yawn:

We get it, you like F1. Why reply? I never understand why non-NASCAR fans always point out that they don't enjoy it. It's everywhere, and it really grinds my gears.

Sevillian273
02-20-11, 11:08 PM
Yeah, the product placement this year is unprecedented. Did you notice the "We <3 Logistics" sticker on the back of Ragan's steering wheel?

Lol! Thats the moment where I decided that the product placement was especially insane. Any bare surface in front of any camera is exploited like a ten dollar hooker.

@gary, Im not a nascar fan either but the race today, compared to all others, was far from :yawn:

Stingroo
02-20-11, 11:12 PM
At least I'm not alone then. :lol: I should be able to see more of next week's race. Working 12-4 on Sundays kinda sucks now. :(

Destroyer
02-21-11, 12:26 AM
We get it, you like F1. Why reply? I never understand why non-NASCAR fans always point out that they don't enjoy it. It's everywhere, and it really grinds my gears.I used to be a NASCAR fan back in the 80's with Bill Elliot and the other big shots. Not much over the last 25 years though. I look at it as more for a "redneck" thing now and wonder how I ever liked it in the first place. In those days I was also a follower of WWE wrestiling too. Ah, to be young and stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

ryannel2003
02-21-11, 01:12 AM
Haven't watched it much since Earnhardt Sr. died to be honest. I'm just glad Gordon and Johnson got taken out early on. Not a fan of either of them.

C&C
02-21-11, 05:40 AM
Used to be an avid fan (all the way back into the '60s), lost quite a bit of interest in the last couple years (but still follow along). So yesterday is the same old thing (of NASCAR lately); the best driver didn't win, the best car didn't win and except for the last 20 laps of the race, there wasn't much going on. Wrecks ain't racing excitement for me. Take away some of that 'aero', give them back their horsepower and let them guys go.

MacMuse
02-21-11, 07:58 AM
These aren't races anymore, they're mobile parking lots with a winner determined by surviving the last wreck. Granted these drivers have exceptional skills and the cars are marvels of engineering, but the restrictor plate races are now extended versions of the old IROC races.

johnny kannapo
02-21-11, 09:25 AM
Give some credit where credit is due.
http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/sports_impact/photo/trevor-bayne-e0e94e6e141384a5.jpg

Stingroo
02-21-11, 09:43 AM
I don't really have any issue with the product placement or sponsorship aspect of it. You know how ridiculously expensive it is to run ONE race team? Let alone 4 from one stable? It's a lot of coin. Millions of dollars PER WEEK. Sponsorship helps solve this problem, and the sponsors want their due time. I'm okay with that, it's part of all sports.

RippyPartsDept
02-21-11, 11:05 AM
http://goo.gl/P5rbg
"i don't watch racin' no more, it ain't the same since we lost senior"

Sevillian273
02-21-11, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1TB-EURA8

Ranger
02-21-11, 12:36 PM
I used to be a NASCAR fan back in the 80's with Bill Elliot and the other big shots. Not much over the last 25 years though. I look at it as more for a "redneck" thing now and wonder how I ever liked it in the first place. In those days I was also a follower of WWE wrestiling too. Ah, to be young and stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Don't you have that backwards? Back in the old days it WAS. Just a bunch of good ole southern boys. All races where in the south and if you didn't say Y'all, you didn't race. If you want to see NASCAR evolution, take a tour through the NASCAR museum in Charlotte N.C.. It's FAR from a "redneck" thing today, but it sure used to be.

Florian
02-21-11, 01:52 PM
rednecks turning left is about as exciting as watching paint dry.....no thanks.

F

orconn
02-21-11, 03:23 PM
I used to be a Formula I and SCCA racing snob, but let's face it, it's all racing which depending on your attention span is either boring or interesting. I will have to say it all gets a lot more intersting when you are participating as a member of a team.

Personally I find baseball incredibly boring, and actulally going to a game only saved from agony by liberal use of the refresh,ment stand. But left's face one hundred million Americans, including presidents and Mac Donald's cooks, can't all be wrong.

My son was for a period of ten years a competitive equestrian riding hunter/jumpers (English) and I have to admit at times it could get pretty boring (signing all those checks), to get a change of pace and just have some fun we would go to other disciplines horse shows. Watching the Western disciplines: roping; barrel racing; cutting, etc. Let's face it you like horses, that's what it's all about! Polo matches are also fun, but they are more about seeing who is there and checking out the parking lot!

dkozloski
02-22-11, 12:23 AM
There used to be a guy on the forum that was a NASCAR engine builder for some of the old timers. One of his engines was a race winner at Charlotte. He had a million stories to tell and was one of the most interesting people on this site.

concorso
02-22-11, 08:34 PM
I don't know who half of the field is anymore, who's good, who's not, who's on what team, who's sponsoring who... and I have little interest to re-learn it all. It'll never be the same for me.How is any of this relevant when watching a race? Like watching movies or tv shows... I dont care who made it...who paid for it...who's in it...or who said it was good. Its either entertaining to watch, or its not.

concorso
02-22-11, 08:55 PM
Don't you have that backwards? Back in the old days it WAS. Just a bunch of good ole southern boys. All races where in the south and if you didn't say Y'all, you didn't race. If you want to see NASCAR evolution, take a tour through the NASCAR museum in Charlotte N.C.. It's FAR from a "redneck" thing today, but it sure used to be.I was going to call him on that until I saw your post. Well said. Im not a NASCAR fan at all. Ive watched a couple on TV, and went to the Daytona 500 a few years ago. Its very exciting to watch in person. You dont get the same kind of physical sensations at a F1 race (Ive been to 4). One thing that NASCAR does significantly better then any other racing league, is the accessibility of the drivers and teams to the fans. Ill probably never go see another F1 race, but Ill try to see another few NASCAR races in the future.

Jesda
02-22-11, 09:43 PM
I don't understand, participate in, watch, or enjoy racing. I don't know why.

johnny kannapo
02-23-11, 12:09 PM
How about Trans Am? We found a hole in the catch fence.
see if this works

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/Decorated images/?action=view&current=fce95813.mp4